Office of the City Clerk
City and Borough of Juneau Boards and Commissions
Questions about appointed boards, commissions, and committees (CBJ Advisory Boards) should be directed to the City Clerk's office City.Clerk@juneau.org (907) 586-5278.
Appointments to CBJ Advisory Boards are considered by the Assembly Human Resources Committee at their meetings held every third Monday (the same evening as Assembly meetings) at 6:00 p.m. in the Assembly Chambers. Their agendas and minutes are available online at http://www.juneau.org/assemblyftp/novus.php.
Archival copies of agedas and packets can also be found online at http://www.juneau.org/clerk/HRC.php.
Boards, Commissions, and Committees
HOW TO APPLY
1. Application forms are available outside Room 202 at the Municipal Building or can be obtained by telephoning 586-5278. The forms are also available for download here as an Adobe Acrobat file:
You will want to download and save the .pdf application form to your desktop, complete it and return it to the clerk's office as an e-mail attachment. You may also send it via regular mail, or fax at 586-4552.
2. Click here for a link to the current & upcoming vacancies They are also published on TV Cable Channel 7, and posted on a bulletin board in the Municipal Building (City Hall).
3. Fill out one application for each board/commission you are applying for and mail, deliver, or fax it to: Municipal Clerk, 155 South Seward Street, Juneau, AK 99801; fax 586-4552. Email: City.Clerk@juneau.org
Qualifications to serve vary with the board, but the most important ones are having the time, interest and willingness to serve. Time requirements can vary from three hours per month to 20 hours per week. Some boards meet only seasonally or when needed so check with the clerk's office if there is a specific board you are interested in to see if your schedule is compatible with that of the board.
4. CBJ’s empowered boards (Airport, Aquatics, Docks & Harbors, Eaglecrest Ski Area, and Bartlett Regional Hospital Boards) and Planning Commission go through a more intensive application/interview process with the Assembly. If you are interested in applying for one of these boards, please contact the clerk’s office for specific details and deadlines associated with that board’s application/appointment process.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT - CONSIDERATION OF APPLICANTS
1. You will be considered for the boards and commissions for which you apply as vacancies occur, either through the expiration of a member's term or through a member's resignation. For board seats becoming vacant by the expiration of a member's term, an incumbent wishing to be reappointed can reapply for their seat by filling out the application and are considered in the same manner and process as all other applicants. Incumbents are not automatically reappointed.
2. Vacancies occur throughout the year, and applications are accepted at any time.
3. Applications are held one year for consideration. If, after that time, you are still interested in applying for a board or commission, please submit a new application.
4. The Human Resources Committee meets on the second and fourth Monday of every month to consider recommendations for appointments to boards and commissions which are then submitted to the Assembly for confirmation.
5. The Assembly seeks to have broad representation from throughout the community so that in making appointments they consider many factors.
6. Applications are always welcome, and you should not feel discouraged if you are not quickly appointed or notified. If you do hear of a vacancy in which you are interested, it is suggested that you call to remind the Municipal Clerk you have an application on file.
Thank you for your interest.
Many documents at this site are offered as Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files. To read these, you will need to download the FREE Adobe Reader. To do so, click on the gold button at the bottom of the menu and follow the instructions. (Click here for more information about access to PDF files for the visually disabled.)