Household Hazardous Waste Clean-up Events
JULY 14, 2013
9 AM - 4:30 PM
- LOCATION: 5436 Commercial Boulevard in the Lemon Creek Commercial area just off Anka Street. Follow the traffic cones and signs.
- NOTE: Household Events are now on a Sunday and Commercial on a Monday.
Small Businesses can bring in hazardous waste, by appointment, on Monday, April 15, 2013 by calling 1-800-478-9008. Small Businesses must pre-register by the Tuesday before the event by calling 1-800-478-9008.:
We will accept the following materials:
- Used Oil
- Paint Products
- Paint Thinner
- Furniture Stripper
- Transmission Fluid
Printing, Photographic Chemicals and Toner Cartridges
- Household Batteries - Instructions On How To Recycle Batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs - All types accepted-Lets keep the mercury out of our landfills
- TV's, computer monitors (CRTs) (Limited to 1 TV and 1 computer monitor per household per event)
Containers will not be returned containing liquids for disposal such as used oil.
Household Hazardous Waste Clean Up Events Dates
Who Is Eligible to Participate?
- Households. All Juneau households are eligible.
Some businesses and Agencies. Businesses and agencies
that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month and
meet other criteria are also eligible. All businesses and agencies
must register by the Tuesday before the event in order to participate. Call 1-800-478-9008 to pre-register. Businesses and Agencies will pay for the disposal of their hazardous
waste based on the type and the amount of waste brought to the event.
Certain Types of Wastes Cannot be Accepted
- Explosives such as blasting caps and gun powder
- Reactives such as sodium metal
- Biological wastes
- Radioactive wastes
How to Participate
- Bring your wastes to the household hazardous waste clean-up event at 5436 Commercial
Boulevard in the Lemon Creek Commercial area just off of Anka Street. Follow the signs and
- Specially trained personnel will be on hand to greet you and ask you a few questions
which will help them classify the wastes for safe handling and proper disposal.
- Want to avoid the crowd? The hazardous waste clean up events are busiest from 11:00
a.m. to 1:00 p.m. To avoid the crowd plan to come to the event before or after those hours
Please Be Sure To:
Keep products in their original containers, if possible. Note:Containers will not be returned so that the traffic keeps flowing and to keep area safe from spills.
- Identify and label any unmarked containers to the best of your knowledge
- Place any leaking container inside another container
- Protect containers from tipping over during transport
- Don't mix any products
- Keep products away from passengers during transport
Public Works Recycling Information
A list from the EPA which includes "The Virtual House" -- a tour of possible locations of hazardous materials in the home.
- The CBJ Recycling Program is operated by Waste Management at 5600 Tonsgard Court (the landfill near the new AEL&P building).
- Recycle glass, newspaper, corrugated cardboard, aluminum and tin cans, #1 plastic bottles, and #2 cloudy plastic milk and water jugs from 7am - 5 pm Thursdays & Fridays and 8 am to 5 pm Saturdays.
- Capitol Disposal landfill is located at 5600 Tonsgard Ct. Phone# is 780-7801
Solid Waste Management