Ask a Dispatcher
Q. We have what looks like a drug-type mushroom growing in the back yard. I don't want my kids or dog to get it. How do I safely remove it and should I notify someone about it? (I guess I just did)
Dear Juneau Resident,
We have traced this message and the SWAT team will be right over…just joking.
JPD’s drug experts say “Magic” or psilocybe mushrooms don’t grow wild here. Those same experts say their personal tactic for getting rid of mushrooms is a combination of high iron Moss-out and salt or baking soda alone. You can also try Juneau’s garden experts at www.seakmastergardeners.org/.
If you want the mushrooms gone pronto, you could dig them up and throw them away. Local wild mushrooms could definitely make someone sick. However, kids and dogs walk past the mushrooms in yards every day, this time of year, in Juneau and don’t chow down. They must have more sense than adults looking to get high.