Ask a Dispatcher
Click the question to view the response.
- Question- Is there a noise ordinance for undeveloped public beaches?
- Question- What can I do about the people that live next to me who blast their stereo system to the point I can hear it through my walls over my tv
- Question- I've read over the Juneau noise ordinance a few times and it seems the street sweepers operating between four and six every morning would be in violation of this ordinance. Is there a reason they are not subject to it?
- Question- Is UAS having an event or are students having a band/rave tonight randomly?
- Question- There is a couple living in a tent in my neighbors yard. They have been there for a couple months is my guess if not all summer. Is this legal? Can I make a noise complaint?
- Question- What's the loud boom in valley El Camino area several times this PM? Bear?
- Question- For the third time we are having fireworks in the the tall timbers area making it sound like a war zone. Some sort of response about this would be greatly appreciated or does J?PD just not care ?
- Question- During the June 3, 2013 assembly meeting I learned that CBJ will now use the Disturbing the Peace code to address the noise from fireworks in residential areas. This is great news because fireworks are too loud & disruptive to be set off near our homes.
So, please JPD update your information and spread the word that Disturbing the peace is $300.00 a pop and there are no exceptions for the 4th of July or New Year’s either.
We all have a right to enjoy the holidays and our summertime. These times are not just for the people that like to set off explosive devices.
- Question- From reading the previous posts regarding fireworks it seems clear that it is legal to set them off in residential neighborhoods. Which answers my question to an extent; however, what if the fireworks pose a potential danger to property and violate the disturbing the peace ordinance?
I live in Douglas where the staff at the Douglas Inn (Louie's) apparently find it necessary to set off fireworks in the middle of 3rd street on Friday and Saturday nights during the summer. It started up for the season last night, May 9th, at 11:30 p.m. at which time I witnessed the fireworks project in several directions with one striking the Douglas Cafe building, one heading towards the gas pump at the Douglas Depot and another heading down D Street as a pedestrian walk up it.
From previous posts it appears that JPD is not required by law to do anything unless fireworks are used to injury or threaten someone. Is this true even if fireworks are set off every weekend between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. violating the city ordinance on disturbing the peace (42.20.095)? Isn't this unreasonable? If I were to go set off fireworks in front of the Governor's mansion every Friday and Saturday night at 11:55 p.m. wouldn't that be unreasonable? I'm guessing JPD would not stand by and watch; which is what the staff member at the Douglas Inn said they do while she bragged about the neighbors complaining, the police not caring and enjoying the show, and her new shipment of fireworks.
- Question- I live directly above a tourist shop downtown, and I found out today that they will be playing loud music over their speaker system during business hours (they close at 9PM). The music is very audible, including bass and radio dj, and can be heard throughout the apartment's common and sleeping areas. I feel like calling JPD might be a little much at this point - do you have any suggestions on how to handle this before I file a formal complaint (if I even can)? I'm not sure of the best way to address a noise complaint with an actual business, especially when it's a residence in a commercial area...
- Question- I live in the Bonnie Brae subdivision and our neighbor has some sort of a high frequency device installed on the back of their house. Our property line ends near the rear of their home, so the noise is directed right at our house. The noise causes discomfort, nausea and is ear piercing. My family cannot bear to be outside due to this noise, which is so sad since we just purchased this home and cannot simply move. We have pets as well and I cannot imagine what this must do to them. What, if anything, might we do to give our ears some peace so we can enjoy the outdoors? The fact that the homeowners have this in the first place makes me not want to even bother addressing this issue with them. Please help! My ears are still ringing…
- Question- I live in Auke bay towers located behind the Auke bay post office. For the last 2-3 days construction on the Auke bay school parking lot has started at 5am. This is outside the noise ordinance. Since this is a Juneau city project whom to I complain to? Per the noise ordinance any change should of been notified to the residents. Which has not occurred.
- Question- There are alway parties happiness on raven road in Douglas their deck is right outside my bedroom window I know it's technically the 4th of July but I have an infant and 3 year old that are trying to sleep! Can you make something to submitt noise problems online so I don't have to make a call and wake my kids even more?
- Question- I'm new to the area. Whats the laws reguarding fireworks?
- Question- Does Juneau have a time frame that is more appropriate to be more quiet? We have recently had an issue with our upstairs neighbor who was not too happy when he thought we were making too much noise during a family game night. (You would think he was the downstairs neighbor). It was 8pm which I believe is fine to be making some noise during a regular night of games and fun.
- Question- I live on Stephen Richards and last night around 10ish I heard 5 shots?
I don't if it was gun shots or fire works.
Did JPD get a call last night for that and if so I was just wondering what it was.
- Question- So...fireworks are legal to set off in a residential neighborhood? Please elaborate for all.
- Question- Can anything be done about construction noise which starts up on the weekend before 7:00 AM? I live in the area of Skaters Cabin Road and they start using heavy machinery to dig, crush rocks, or whatever it is they do in the gravel pit really early on the weekends.
- Question- What is the best way to handle a neighbor that keeps their dog outside all hours of the day/night despite it's CONSTANT barking? We have filed a complaint with animal control but it has continued...
- Question- Could I file a noise complaint over my neighbors constantly stomping throughout their apartment? I've asked them to not stomp around but nothing has changed. When the they stomp I can feel it on the floor, the walls ect. of my apartment and I'm above them! The stomping happenes at all hours of the day! If I've talked to them already and there hasn't been any change what else can I leagally do?
- Question- Could you please do something about the two 4-plexes on Delta Dr. that seem to ALWAYS have the police called to their location? (4031 & 4033) It’s mostly the noise, but as I’m sure you are WELL aware, there are many other issues! Could you start citing the owners/landlords of these properties for the repeated calls/disturbances? We live in close proximity to these complexes and they are a constant nuisance! I’m hoping that by fining the tenants AND the owners/landlords it will prompt them to evict the bad apples!
- Question- FYI...there is a party scheduled to be on 4July on Jugg's lot off Montana Creek Rd. It is advertised on fliers throughout JNU that there is going to be a wet t shirt contest and a monster truck rally. It would be great if JPD would show up and shut them down. The area is a neighborhood and is no doubt going to cause a distraction. If not, expect a lot of phone calls as neighbors in Montana Creek are not going to stand for that kind of behavior.
- Question- Below is a short article posted online today @ JuneauEmpire.com. Can't JPD cite similarly? I think we all know of an instance when some kid's car stereo is just TOO loud! I know there's some ordinance about stereo noise only being enforceable after a certain hour, but excessive stereo noise in general shouldn't be tolerated. It intrudes upon other people's peace & quiet!! Can't someone do something?! If Fairbanks can, why can't Juneau?
Officer fines drivers who pump up the volume
Story last updated at 5/18/2010 - 11:18 am
The Associated Press
FAIRBANKS – A Fairbanks patrol officer has issued roughly a dozen citations in the past two weeks to motorists with loud stereo systems.
Officer Josh Lambert says he doesn’t mind loud music, but there comes a point where drivers with “ridiculously loud” stereos become a nuisance. And those drivers will be ticketed for breaking city code.
Lambert acknowledges that he’s probably one of the only officers who enforces the noise law. He says different cops have different styles.
The fine is $50 for a first offense, $300 for a second offense within six months of the first and $1,000 for a third violation if it’s within one year of the first.
- Question- How does one go about following up on a call? We had to call in Saturday night about multiple instances of shots fired in our mobile home park. The property managers are unable to do anything without a police report - even though multiple neighbors called them about it...
- Question- I live in a condo that has "quiet hour" rules. However this situation appears to be domestic violence which a superintendent shouldn't get involved in. My neighbors scream and fight starting at 1:00 a.m. on a consistent basis. Last night there was a loud crash and screaming at 3:30 a.m. Would I call 911 for this?
- Question- Is there anything that can be done about the "boom boxes" that drive around town? For example, when waiting at a traffic light and one pulls up nearby or right behind you; or ones that drive down Riverside (I live off Riverside and can hear them going by out on Riverside). This has been a problem in Juneau for a long time and it is very frustrating for those of us who enjoy peace & quiet! Most occurrences seem to happen when it's dark, so it's nearly impossible to get a license plate number to call in to JPD. :-( Is there a noise ordinance to address this?
- Question- In regards to noise disturbances: I have a neighbor who frequently plays very loud music outside of his garage while working on his truck after 10pm. I know that I am not the only person in the neighborhood who is agitated with this disturbance. My question is this: Who would we contact to get them to be quiet? I don't feel comfortable calling 9-1-1 for a non-emergency, but my family can not sleep!
- Question- I live in an apartment building that is next to the current construction of another building. It is 10:45 PM on a Wednesday and they men are still out there with their loud machines and huge bright lights (shining into my windows) working away. Isn't 10:45 awfully late to still be doing work 30 feet away from an apartment building with people trying to sleep? Or am I just unlucky because I live in Lemon Creek and it's a mixed zone area?
- Question- What is the CBJ rule about blaring car horns at 5:30am ? Renter next door has his truck horn connected to his auto start, and every morning at 5:30 am sounds like a freight train blasting through our bedroom windows as he parks 20 feet way. Residential area and I have already lost one renter due to the honkers rudeness. I have spoke with him about it, and he says he cannot or willnot? disable the horn. I have also spoke with his landlord and he has spoke with him to no avail. Situation is getting heated and costing me good tenants. What are my rights?