Ask a Dispatcher
Click the question to view the response.
- Question- I am not sure if this is the type of question I can ask on here. Whether I need actual legal avice or not. One of my family members let a friend move into their house which they own. There has never been a lease. He has been trying to get her to leave for months. She finally took some of her things and went to stay with someone else and didn't take all of her belongings. He is afraid she is going to try to come back. How long does she have to be gone and out of the house before its official that she doesn't live there anymore and has no legal standing. Thank you.
- Question- I have a question. When somebody is in jail for domestic abuse a restraining order was put in place. So how can someone from the jail still contact that person and harass them? His name is ********** and still is in daily contact with **********. He has called her grandparents home phone and also calls her cell phone on daily basis and harasses her. How can this be fixed? The jail had know answer.
- Question- I have a neighbor who continues to walk the street putting his garbage in other peoples cans on pickup day. We have ask him to stop yet he continues. Are the garbage cans we rent for residential use considered private property? Is he breaking any laws?
- Question- If I reported my post office box key stolen, will jpd actually do anything? Or will the report just sit there?
- Question- Shouldn't that missing physical therapist be on the missing persons list?
- Question- Is there always a community service offer working? If not what are their hours?
- Question- I have a tenant that has a broken down vehicle blocking access to my property, I have asked them by written request 36 hours ago to move it and they have not done so.
Can I have it towed at their expense?
- Question- Hi! I'm wondering what the consequences are for a minor caught driving with an open bottle of alcohol in the car.
- Question- My family and I were visitors in Juneau on Thursday July 3, 2014. We took a bus tour to see the glacier, and was then dropped off at downtown Juneau. My dad lost his keys sometime during our trip, and I am inquiring for him whether or not anyone has dropped off a set of keys to the Juneau police station's Lost & Found. There are more than 3 keys attached to a circular key chain and an extra red key chain-type link. Thank you.
- Question- The neighbors on the street behind us have been setting off fireworks every day for 3 weeks now. We don't mind the noise, although it gets old when you're going to bed at 10 PM, and get woken up a couple of times a night. However, their bottle rockets keep coming all the way across our backyard, over our roof, and keep landing on our porch and cars. I was hit by one today while standing on the porch talking to our neighbor. Is there any way they can be made to fire them off in a "safe" direction so that our cars, dogs, and ourselves aren't being hit by them?
- Question- Dear Dispatcher, I work in a bar and would like to carry a concealed firearm for security reasons while working late shifts alone. I know, however, that Alaska state law prohibits the possession of a concealed firearm in any establishment that serves alcohol. Is there an exception that allows for employees carrying while on shift? Thank you.
- Question- Three weeks ago a renter or homeowner abandoned a junk couch outside in Starr Hill neighborhood. Was sticking out into road but now only immediately adjacent. What can be done? Who do we contact?
- Question- Is there a writable version of the parade permit form available online?
- Question- I am interest in this career.i need help getting started.i have couple of questions.what courses should I take to become a dispatcher?
- Question- The only June Daily Bulletin was posted on June 1. Is JPD discontinuing the Daily Bulletin?
- Question- What's the deal with orange cones and marking off parking downtown? I see cones or signs issued by the city with dates and times, and I see people marking off one or more spots with cones, either with construction/work trucks involved, or sometimes, just an orange cone in a parking spot on the street with nobody around and no sign. Do random cones with no city sign have to be obeyed?
- Question- I live downtown at ******, just past the Breakwater Hotel on Glacier Avenue. My Mom heard gunshots last night about 11 PM, what was that about?
- Question- Where do you dispose of expired flare gun cartridges
- Question- I was wondering if there are any laws about public speaking downtown.
- Question- Can you get a protective order on someone that is harassing you through text message?
- Question- Do people get a reward for reporting a person that's parked on a handy cap zone.
- Question- I have a tenant who I want to evict. I am afraid he is going to get volatile when I serve the paperwork asking him to vacate the apartment. Is this something I can ask a policeman to be present for? The tenant is always intoxicated and owns at least three semi-automatic assault rifles. I find him very unpredictable.
- Question- Is hawking legal in Juneau? The store called ******* causes so much inconvience to the tourists & the stores next door, by hawking & calling tourists walking on the sidewalk inside the store to sell them ******. It causes harassment to the tourists & its neighbors & give a bad name for Juneau as a shopping place.
- Question- Do you have a lost in found for missing items?
- Question- What is the penalty for providing alcohol, to an individual who is restricted?
- Question- Is it legal for a neighbor to take photographs of the all the people and the cars they arrive in who visit another neighbors house without their knowledge?
- Question- How do I apply for a ride along?
- Question- A picture of people that JPD is looking for would go a long way in aiding in their apprehension....
- Question- there was no 4/2/14 daily bulletin, could you post it please?
- Question- This question was mistakenly deleted and reconstructed from memory. Ask A Dispatcher apologizes if it is not exactly the question asked.
I am a 17 year old girl and there is a 19 year old man I would like to date but my parents object. My parents are threatening him with arrest. Is there a law he would be violating if we date?
- Question- What should I do if someone repeatedly harasses me online even after I requested the person to stop the harassment? I have reported the person to Facebook, but the harassment still continues. This is a local person who has made threats (non-violent or physical)and I am afraid this person will take other measures to continue the harassment. Is there a way I can fill out a police report so that there is a paper trail of the harassment? I dont know if a restraining order will work because the person made non-violent/non-physical threats to me. I have a baby and I dont need the added stress this person is causing me. Thanks.
- Question- Is it legal for an individual(s) to live in a motor home on public property such as the Nugget Mall Parking lot?
- Question- When you are at your desk as a dispatcher, what are all the screens showing? I see what look like Excel spreadsheets, phones, three keyboards, TV's.. What is the normal set - up? How would I set up a ride - along with dispatch?
- Question- Does a restraining order go both ways? I've heard from a friend that the petitioner, can contact the respondent. Can you explain this
- Question- I have read that you document found items. I lost a pair of metal rimmed prescription glasses on March 25 somewhere between 6th and Park streets and Rainbow Foods. Any chance that they were turned in?
- Question- How do i find out where an individual goes when ex parte'd.Lost a friend last seen at barttlet.
- Question- When is the next police auction
- Question- Not exactly a question, but more of a KUDOS for the author of the daily bulletin. It's finally nice to see that spouses or significant others who commit domestic violence, will have their dirty secrets known. Maybe it will shame them from doing it again in the future. DV assaults in this state are rampant, and we need to make the public aware and increase our efforts to prevent, report, and hinder at all costs, the damage abuse can cause. Good on JPD! Our officers are outstanding, as is our dispatchers. - Another greatful citizen.
- Question- I noticed lately there are "victims" names being listed in the Daily Bulletins. For instance 3/19 says the boyfriend slapped the girlfriend and has her name listed. This is so wrong!
- Question- Your most recent response about the NFDD stated the boom was on 12-27-14. That can't be correct.
- Question- Hello we woke up this morning to a loud boom. The neighbors had a swat team raiding their trailer... The swat team officers had fire extinguishers in their hands entering the trailer. What in the world was the reason for the extinguishers? Was there some kind of danger of fire? We have our grandchildren that play outside and wonder if there was something going on that we need to worry about our little ones.. thank you
- Question- I am the manager of a small local business. Lately we've had a customer spending time in our establishment who recently was released from prison for an armed robbery charge. He's been asking some sensitive financial questions about the business, and some of our customers. No one has provided him any information, but it is cause for concern. While he hasn't done anything to cause a problem yet, is there anything that you can suggest we do to be proactive about the situation?
- Question- Hi. I am a very worried individual. I haven't seen or heard from my fiancee in around twelve hours, and have asked all the friends i can think of if they've seen him, all with a no. He did not show up to work today, and i have no means of directly contacting him. I am hoping you can help me and possibly tell me if maybe he got picked up at some point? If this is possible it would be greatly appreciated and i will give you his name
- Question- What does the "Out With" designation mean in the police report? I have seen several different types of reports with this heading.
- Question- Is the police department hiring for dispatchers right now?
- Question- How is a typical 9-1-1 dispatch center set up (i.e. # of dispatchers, equipment, etc.)?
- Question- Is it legal to use an atv to plow snow from driveways considering you have to be on the street part of the time? Do you know of any reading material for this subject?
- Question- I am in college for criminal justice to become a dispatcher. My question is how you handle the hours and the stress of calls fielded? How do you feel when you are unable to get help to a victim in time to save them?
- Question- Dear Sir or Madam,
I am in the process of filing paperwork relating to an auto accident here in Juneau. The responding officer was both helpful and courteous throughout the entire ordeal, and I and the other parties involved are incredibly grateful for his diligence and professionalism. However, I am having difficulty deciphering some of the important information in the paperwork the officer so thoughtfully filled out for me.
So my question is this: is it possible to require public safety workers to take mandatory penmanship lessons?
- Question- Do Military Police officers make good civilian officers?
- Question- ON 1/26/14 around 2 or 3 I witnessed the tail end of a drug deal behind Glacier Valley School that went bad and it sounded liked it got violent, the took his money, Another Lady called 911, Maybe I missed it but I never saw JPD even do a drive by, I give Linsence plate number. Im fearful becuase they saw me on the phone and the same jeep has driven around the neighborhod a couple of times. There is alot of drug activity in the area by the baseball feilds. This incident happened in the middle of the day and it seems like no response.
- Question- Is it illegal for someone to take newspaper left in front of your business entrance?
- Question- How do I serve papers on an individual if all I have is a post office box number?
- Question- Is the funding for JPD's drug program dependant on how much money they claim they took off the street? $1204 for an ounce of marijuana, according to the story in the Empire, is ridiculous at best.
- Question- 32 grams of spice seized in 2013 with a street value of $17,250? So $539.06 a gram? That's amazing, considering one can go on regular internet sites and buy 10g for around $20 to $50.
- Question- Can someone please go up on 5th strett and have a couple vehicles relocated. 5th & D there is a green pick up parked too close to the stop sign and the snow piles up around it. You can't see if anything or anyone is coming up the hill until after you've gone beyond the sign. Further down the street between 721 and 715, 5th there is a turquoise vehicle no one recognizes. It's been there for a few weeks and is 1. taking up a valuable parking place and 2. impeding snow removal from the general area.
- Question- Can the police PLEASE do a drive by and ask the people at 4417 NOT to park the cab ion the middle of the road as the other truck across the street also takes up part of the road ...I know there is snow but these two cars along with the truck that has been parked on the side of the road for the last 5 days on birch are getting on my nerves....These people have drive ways they need to shovel and make room for thier cars not park in the road! ....Have a nice day
- Question- Could you post a 1/11/14 daily bullietin please? We didn't get one that day
- Question- we continue to have a caller asking for my elderly mother, not giving the name of why they are calling and keep calling. I am suspicious that they are trying to scam her, when i ask why they want to talk to her they say they will call back. so how can i find if it is a scam and why they are calling and keep them from calling again?
- Question- recently a couple was arrested for stealing gas from multiple cars, I was a victim, when is the court date?
- Question- On Tuesday the 7th around 2:40pm there were several police vehicles circling the Forest lane and Tongass blvd. area. The officers were looking into people's yards and in wooded areas. But the police reports don't indicate what they were looking for. Who or what were they looking for?
- Question- January 3,2005 D..... L..... committed suicide. How can I find out more about the crime?
- Question- Just read the question about the 4way stop at Threadneedle and Trafalgar and agree that this is a problem. Another problem is that there are frequently cars from one of the residences at that corner parked either on the sidewalk or on the edge of the road. That intersection is usually pretty slick during the winter, and the cars are posing a hazard as you come around a blind curve into the intersection. The driveways are almost at the stop sign - but isn't there a rule about parking on the road that close to a stop sign or intersection?
- Question- WHERE DO I PAY A TICKET THAT IS PAST DUE?
- Question- What types of fireworks are legal in Juneau?
- Question- Do you know if Phoenix AZ offers a service like this one?
- Question- Merry Christmas to everyone at JPD! Thank you for everything you do for all of us!
- Question- This Morning I called regarding "Junk" car being dumped on Jennifer Dr. Which has been huge problem as "junk" cars are often left on side of the street or next to the Baseball fields. Do you know if the officers where able to talk with the indviduals?
- Question- ***** white Chevy Van abandoned for two months now on ******** Avenue, as well as the usual broke down vehicles - those pretty pink tags are needed again!
- Question- Complaint on teens having sex in red car on the dock by Maritime Hydraulics.
Called in Friday 12/6/13
they are here again. what do we do?>
- Question- Can cars park in front of your house on the road without your permission
- Question- If I call 911 about a domestic disturbance and give the operator my name and phone number, will this information be in the police report?
- Question- (G) illuminating torches and colored fire in any form, total pyrotechnic composition not to exceed 100 grams each in weight;
Can you clarify this for me? Does this mean if I want to use Sky Lanterns, it is allowed? Sorry, I just am not able to figure it out.
And if I can use the flame lanterns: are ther other restrictions I need to be aware of? (Location, time of day, etc.)
Thanks for your time.
- Question- Can you please send a CSO back to the end of ****** Avenue? There is an abandoned vehicle with rusted out sides that's been there for over a month. Thank you!
- Question- If somebody works at a hotel and has guests staying that are known drug users/dealers and have people constantly in and out of the room, is there anything that can be done? I guess under suspicious activity.
- Question- as a landlord,what are my options& responsibilities regarding tenants and or their guests who I suspect or have reason to believe are involved in illegal activity?
- Question- Hello JPD,
I am managing a small parking lot at REACH. Here we have reserved parking spaces for certain approved staff members. It is in our policy that no one else is allowed to park there. I have been looking into getting window parking violation stickers, they will not state the care will be impounded or towed. Is it legal for the agency to place these stickers on a person's car? If so exactly where on a window is it legal to do so?
- Question- Dispatcher, I am writing again about the neighbors that park on the street. Now that "winter" is here and there is a winter storm warning in effect. Please tell me there is a solution to this problem? I can only imagine how narrow our street will become with snow on either side, added vehicles also on the side of the street. I have called JPD like I said before, you guys did come out and tag their vehicle. I have written you guys on here ,I have even asked the neighbor nicely to move their vehicles, to which they become angry or just ignore me AND other neighbors who have asked them as well. Again, this is a risk even when the street is clear, with no snow for the elementary school children who have to wait for the bus right there. Oncoming vehicles can see past the vehicle on the side. So, we (myself and other neighbors) have just moved the spot where the children wait for the bus. I guess, we are just at a loss for a solution here.
- Question- Hello, when is the next auction of impounded vehicles?
- Question- Hi! I need to take a CPR class within the next month. I googled various combinations but can't the LOCAL where, when, and how much for Juneau classes. can you please help me?
- Question- When is the next police action if i am right its in may but i want to be sure I'm right?
- Question- How do I report a crime online that occurred in Hoonah,AK?
- Question- Hello. Does Juneau have an ordinance against spitting in public, or spitting in public buildings or facilities? Thanks
- Question- Can a spouse lock you out when you pay rent and no domestic report has been filed?
- Question- why No daily bullietins for November?
- Question- Hello JPD,
Here at the REACH administrative building, we have our own parking lot. There is a funny spot that is not a parking space, but many people will use it when they are desperate. This blocks a car parked properly in a proper space from backing out. I've read that it is illegal to prevent a person from accessing their private property, does this apply to your parking lot as well?
- Question- I just heard a loud noise in downtown that could have been a gunshot or possibly a firecracker. Is this something that I should report in the future?
- Question- Can we get an extension for moving our boat? Case #**-***** My husband works for the Marine Highway and is leaving and I can't tow the thing in my car. We found a place to keep it over winter however the space needs to be cleared so it will be a few days after he gets home. Should be all taken care of by 11/14.
- Question- WHAT IF I KNOW SOMEONE WITH A WARRENT?
- Question- On May **, **** my brother ***** ******* Jr. died in Juneau, Alaska. I found his obit online and have talked to the funeral home regarding cause of death. How would I find out who found him and where any of his belongings might be? I live in ******** so a trip to Alaska is not feasible at this time. I don't know if he has any friends or co workers? Can you help me.
- Question- I received email from publishers clearing house saying ive won and I really want to claim my prize but everyone tells me not to. Can you tell me if they are criminal or the real publishers clearing house? I can forward the emails to you if you need them.
- Question- I lost my wallet last week. Is there a way to check to see if someone turned it into the police?
- Question- There's no 10/20 or 10/21 daily bullietins can you post them please?
- Question- How do you relay the info to the responders
- Question- I currently have my son's father living with me, he has been abusive in the past and I gave him a 30 day notice a while ago, which he disregarded. I do have a roomate moving in and want him out by November 1st. I am afraid of the way he will react when he does have to leave. I would have friends/family there to help me, but he really doesn't care who he acts angry/abusive in front of.
What would be the best route to take the day he does have to move out?
Could I call a police officer to be there and make sure that my son and I are safe when he does, or his probation officer?
- Question- How many years can you wait to file a domestic violence charge
- Question- When will the next medication round-up be held? Thank you.
- Question- Ask A Dispatcher is on vacation! Be back on 9-30-13.
- Question- On main street in downtown Douglas (3rd street) there are many 'cross streets'. Although the corners of these cross streets are painted as no parking areas (for 20 feet from intersections or so) people still park there cars on the main street butting up right next to the cross streets. The problem comes in when trying to pull out onto main street from one of the sides streets. When a car is illegally parked in the no parking areas close the sides streets, you cannot see oncoming traffic from the left or the right and have to pull your vehicle out into the roadway to see. My question is why people illegally parked in these 'no parking' areas are never cited? I know several accidents have been caused because of this, and I myself have almost be T'boned as I could not see around the parked cars. I think if it was downtown, you'd be ticketed in 5 minutes tops.We pay our taxes in Douglas too you know.
- Question- Is there a formal way to complain about the lady responsible for making appointments to visit inmates? I've experienced her rudeness along with several other people. She also neglects to answer her phone about 80% of the time and never returns messages. I'd like to be able to visit my son without calling compulsively and overloading someone's voice mail. Thank you.
- Question- We have been having some (3) suspicious characters walking around the lot across from us on and off the past week or so. They are making our front office person very nervous as she is her alone at the end of the day. If she sees them again can she call the non emergency line and have a squad swing by to check it out?
- Question- is there a time limit to report a theft?
- Question- How do I report a stolen bike?
- Question- There is no Daily Bulletin for 8-27-13. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- When is the next vehicle auction, mine finally kicked it....and is it possible to uptaine a vehicle if it has been left and abandoned and now has a tow ticket on it...thanks
- Question- can you be under the age of 21 and own a hand gun. handed down to you?
- Question- What outlets are there in Juneau for obtaining kegs of beer that are legal for home consumption?
- Question- I man is living under the Lawson Creek Bridge on Douglas Island. Local residents find this to be disturbing. Can anything be done ?
- Question- Why are some cases not being reported in the Dailey Bulletin?
- Question- I live in a second floor condo and my neighbor who lives below me likes to smoke pot first thing in the morning, again in the early evening and late evening. I don't want to approach the neighbor due to their reputation for being confrontational. Every time they light up the smell travels into our place. Is there anything we can do?
- Question- There are rumors flying around town about two females and a male breaking into homes and cars near Mendenhall Blvd. Is this true as I have not seen anything on the JPD website or the local newspaper?
- Question- How do i file an old assault charge?
- Question- can I sell a hand gun, to a person under the age of 21 but older than 18 in a private party sale in the state of alaska?
- Question- I am a newly-diagnosed diabetic. How should I properly dispose of syringes and needles? I have been saving them in a 2 liter bottle, but what do I do when the bottle fills up?
- Question- On Sunday July 28th we heard and a lot of sirens going to the new swimming pool around 4:30 - 5 pm but in the Daily Bulletin there was nothing saying what happened at the pool. Do you pick and choose what info you display for the online Daily Bulletin?
- Question- So . . . a dispatcher has access to ALL of my information????? How do I know they aren't spreading that information around to my friends or other people who know me? It sounds like they can look up anyone!
- Question- What information can a dispatcher look up on somebody?
- Question- Behind **********there is red truck full of junk that has not moved in weeks. Could you get it red tagged ? Thanks.
- Question- Is it a crime if someone threatens to hit you?
- Question- What do I do if I receive messages on my phone trying to scam me out of money or credit card information?
- Question- You keep saying this site isn't monitored in real time. Does that mean I have to actually call Dispatch to report a problem?
- Question- FOR USERS OF PHONE SERVICES THAT DON'T WORK WITH THE 911 SERVICE WHAT EMERGENCY NUMBERS SHOULD A PERSON CALL FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF EMERGENCIES HERE IN JUNEAU, AK?
- Question- Two of my neighbors frequently have bonfires in their yards. The smoke means I can't stay long on the patio and have to shut the windows on my house even when it's hot. I have had no luck in the past getting them to stop. What can I do?
- Question- Does JPD have Auxiliary or "special" officers? If so, what is the application process?
- Question- Hi I am pretty sure my next door Neighbor is a drug dealer Is there anything that I can do about that.
- Question- i am being constantly harrassed by my ex boyfriend girl. everytime we end up in the same place she would say things like she wanna fight. we havent fought yet but what can i do to protect myself and not go to jail? what are my rights?
- Question- There appears to be a psychotic man in Safeway. He is over where people eat and watch TV. His speech is angry and he is ranting loudly. I don't know if this is reportable and something the police should check out.
- Question- hello my name is sherree and I ant to knowwhat is it like doing your job on a day o day basis
- Question- Does JPD ever use the information from this website to view misuse of the handicap signs? Such as parking without a designated placard/license or in possession of one without the authorized user in the car? If so, this could be another great way to report misuse!
- Question- I have noticed a few houses that have trash all over their property which looks like a hazard or just not legal. Can they be fined? If so, is it the occupants of the property or the owner?
- Question- How does a Property Owner, particularly in the case where a business is concerned, enforce or prevent people from parking on their property? If there are signs up saying you will be towed.. or can they possibly even ticket you?
- Question- What does it mean if a warren has been taken off the warren list that hasten been taken care of?
- Question- Are collapsible batons legal to carry concealed? Assuming you inform any inquiring peace officer that you are carrying it, and follow all relevant laws regarding deadly weapons.
- Question- Just a few quick questions, is it legal for non-residents to carry a concealed firearm, assuming they are legally allowed to possess one? And are they allowed to carry concealed fixed blade knives, or do the knives have to be carried n the open? Thank you!
- Question- Could you please tell me what the rules are regarding parking in the center of a cul de sac? My neighbor and I have differing opinions so we thought it would be best to quit grumping about it and ask someone who might actually know
- Question- Why is the owner of the junk yard "house" in the **** block of Glacier Hwy allowed to let his house look like that?? Every time I walk by with my dog, I have to go off the side walk to skirt the vehicles/fridges/tires/etc, that are slowly creeping out into the road. It's a total eyesore, an embarrassment to the area, as well as a hazard!
- Question- I'm out of state and think my brother was arrested tonight. Is there any way to check the current jail roster?
- Question- My neighbors have a lot of people living in their home and as we counted tonight there are 11 vehicles(several that don't run). They have too many for their driveway and have started lining the cul de sac blocking our mailbox and today our garbage can. Is there some sort of ordinance that limits the number of vehicles a home can have?
- Question- I have been told in the past that fireworks are illegal here. Is that correct? If they are legal to own what kind are allowed?
- Question- How do I get a copy of an arrest warrant from 11 years agor?
- Question- There is a co-worker who is using her disabled child's handicap tag to park in a handicap lot at work. While her child is still at home. Is this ok?
- Question- Where do I go or who do I call to check to see if a computer, laptop, gaming console (xbox/ps3/nintendo), or other electronics is listed as missing or stolen to JPD before buying?
- Question- Is there anywhere I can go online to see what is happening with a case #130503005 I got from JPD to see what is happening with this case?
- Question- Is there currently anywhere people can legally ride ATVs??
- Question- Howdy!
What is the best way to dispose of an expired emergency flare?
One manufacturer says to "Ignite hand-held signals flares on land in a safe area, much the same as highway flares would be ignited." Everywhere here seems like it might be a spot that someone seeing a flare might think it was an actual emergency signal.
What do you suggest?
- Question- Are there any ordinances that specifically address the use of Paintball markers ( pistols , guns etc. ) in public areas i.e. an open field that is not private property?
- Question- Notice!!!
- Question- What's the best way to report domestic violence anonymously? Thanks!
- Question- What are the rules if someone finds something valuable on public property that appears to be either lost or abandoned? Is it "finders keepers, losers weepers"? Can the finder sell it without first trying to reunite the item with its owner?
- Question- I think you should have suggested the guy who lost his fishing rod and reel should also keep an eye on the other local outlets: Craigslist, the local Facebook buy/sell/trade page and maybe even the local newspaper for items for sale. I'd even suggest the local consigments shops and maybe even garage sales. Do any of the local stores take in "old, used" equipment as trade-in on new stuff?
- Question- When r u guys going to put pics up for the may 4th auction
- Question- it seems as though on Engineers Cutoff the parking lot for miners is becoming more conjested on an already bad corner. Also the noise of the buses starting up at 3:30am is a little much since all we can smell is diesel coming into our house, can't this be deemed a constant problem?
- Question- The police keeps driving through our neighborhood all morning 04/22, where can I find out what is happening because I have three children who are constantly playing outside and I do not want them to be in any danger if there is danger present.
- Question- My brand new fishing rod and reel went missing on Saturday, April 20, near the dredge lake area holding pond. I'm not certain of the intent, but my girlfreind and I were on the other side of the pond and within sight of where I had propped it up on a stump close by the trail, so it seems unlikely to have appeared lost or forgotten. This fishing rig was of substantial value to me and I have documentation to identify it should it be found. I was wondering how I could best affect its recovery? Thanks.
- Question- Thanks for all you do Juneau Dispatchers, and dispatchers everywhere!
- Question- No question, complaint or discouraging word, but rather kudos from Pete, Ben and Dan from KINY Newsroom for all your help during this National Public Safety Telecommunications Week.
- Question- In honor of National Emergency Telecommunicators Week...
Thank you for everything you folks do for our community. Without your dedication, Juneau would be a much different place!
- Question- Do I need a certificate to start an artificial nail shop
- Question- I have a neighbor that has frequent visitors and continue to park in my driveway. I have asked them a number of times to not park there. Can I have their car towed? Is there a certain procedure that I need to go through to have them towed?
- Question- There is a boat on a property on Portage Blvd that fell off it's blocks many months ago. Now it rests on it's side covered in moss (obviously not going to be returned to the water). It's an eyesore to anyone who has to drive by it day after day. Is there anything that JPD or the community officers can do to have it removed?
- Question- I've been trying to do research on his new drug 25i. Can you tell me what it was originally made for? Does it have any actual medical benefit? Are people getting prescribed this and selling it? I'm a mother, very anti drug, and am finding little information on the web. If you have any answers they would be very much appreciated.
- Question- I know most officers are busy at any given time. However, there have been multiple times where I have called specific officers with questions, left a message and have never received a phone call in return. I know JPD does a good job most of the time, however not returning phone calls, in my opinion, seems unprofessional.
- Question- Hi, I've been interested in a law enforcement career for a long time now. If I were to get accepted to the police academy, would I be paid for time spent there? At what wage? Are travel costs covered? Thank you in advance.
- Question- I was disappointed to see that JPD officers are not wearing black bands on their badges in honor of Trooper Toll and DPS Pilot Nading. Can you explain to me the reasoning for that?
- Question- I just was on Facebook, where I read that someone posted about killing me. What can I do about this threat? I am pretty sure it is just talk, but I feel I must take defensive measures
- Question- What does a police "welfare check" consist of and when is it appropriate to request one?
- Question- Can someone check on the parking at the top of David St? It's posted no parking from Nov-April and cars have been parking in that zone all winter. It's almost pointless now since the no parking limit stops in two weeks but maybe a couple of day of enforcement in March will make those vehicles park elsewhere. It would be nice having David St be two lanes again.
- Question- There's a property across Glacier Hwy from AEL&P and the outside is trashed. There's broken down cars, boats and a whole bunch of other crap. Isn't there something the City or the litter enforcement officers can do to make that person pick up their property?!?
- Question- What are some of the reasons Alaska State Troopers call looking for someone?
- Question- I just read an earlier post on 'tinted window regs' and received good info but still have a question on the 'class' of vehicle. My SUV is considered multi use as a limo, although I only use it for personal use, not commercial. I was cited recently for too dark a tint on the front side windows. As my SUV is multi classed, does it have to be registered commercial for the commercial regs to apply?
- Question- What happens if I had to have 80 hours of community service done by jan. 30th? I haven't heard anything yet, do I have a bench warrant?
- Question- What are the busiest and slowest times of the day?
- Question- I just wanted to say that on Valentine's Day the people who were blocking the road way did a professional job and they were very polite. Are these people that were in plain clothes off duty JPD officers? The 2 people did their best to keep traffic clear, or did a good job keeping traffic going to prevent a pile up. They did a great job keeping the road lit with flares, and lights to be noticed. I did see one of the people who was telling cars about the accident almost get hit by some jerk who ran through their road block. If these were regular citizens just helping out, how can other's help out if a case were to happen like this again? Do I call JPD and say that I am helping out, or what can I do to help?
- Question- What's it like working in dispatch
- Question- I live in Oregon and I lost contact with my son in Juneau,AK. Is there anyway I can find out if he is dead? And can I report him missing even though I have had no contact with him in 2months?
- Question- What is a temporary order, and how does it work in a stalking order violation court case?
- Question- Some guy tried to come into my house Sunday morning and I called the cops and they came and got him. He had blood on his forehead and seemed pretty dazed. I don't see mention of it in the daily report. Is there a way to get more information like who he was and if he is OK?
- Question- Why are warrants issued, and subsequently sqwashed? Especially over and over again?
- Question- what qustion do you ask when you answer a 911 call please give the list
- Question- My kids bought a trailer in Switzer last year. They have worked hard on cleaning it up and making a good impression to the neighborhood. The person they bought it from does not have a good reputation. The police still stop by the trailer looking for people that my kids don't even know, because apparently that is their last known address. It isn't fair to my kids that police show up at their door at whatever time of night looking for people they don't know or are even associated with. How can this stop so my kids can make their home respected like they've worked so hard to do????? They have gone to the station asking this same question and was told the prior people who lived there would have to change their address. Apparently that is never going to happen.
- Question- Should I call 911 for text threats of physical harm?
- Question- I wanted to thank everybody for their very helpful Input. I am afraid to be around the neighborhood at night myself I would be much braver with a couple of friends. And a bright flashlight.
It really was a sweet and cute neighborhood years ago. I would like to see it that way again thank you very much
- Question- In reply to the switzer post: As a former member, my best advise is to do your homework. Spend a few days (maby with friends), and write down plate numbers, make/model/color of vehicles, times arriving and leaving. JPD can work wonders with a good documentation of activity.
- Question- I just wanted to say in response to the Switzer village question a lot of the active neighborhood watch group had moved out of there and the ones that were left didn't want to come out of there homes at night to walk or drive the streets as I was one that did go out every night til I moved. Also before we moved we did try to get more people involved with no success so I agree to try again with the national night out. Good luck over there
- Question- I moved to Juneau 10 years ago. Switzer village was a beautiful & safe neighborhood. I have been raising my 3 children ages 20 thru 8. 10 years ago it was a beautiful & safe neighborhood.
Now it is run down, filthy, unsafe, and Scott St. Is Drug Ave. there is non-stop cars parking, waiting, & what appears to me openly drug dealing.
I don't feel safe for my youngest child. I make her come home before dark. And I keep her off Drug street. I would love to sell my trailer. But the property prices have dropped so low my home is worthless
Can JPD have a bigger presence there? Maybe install surveillance cameras?
Maybe the borough can help clean it up & light it better.
Thank you for your service
- Question- Is it legal to sell/buy guns on websites like Craigslist &/or Facebook's Juneau Buy~Sell~Trade? I've seen several listings for AR-15's & others lately & it made me curious.
- Question- the police was call on 12-22-12 about 430am to front st they took some one in but they did not say any thing in the news from last night
- Question- Is Facebook a viable means of gathering evidence from a missing persons/ runaway case? I have a friend who is a mutual friend of one of the younger people on the current list, and they have updated their Facebook status within the past month.
- Question- I spend a lot of time out at night by myself taking photographs of the night sky. Is it legal to carry a collapsible baton like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Fury-Tokushu-Keibo-Manual-Open/dp/B009S79U5M as a protection device against crime or say a curious bear? What about bear spray? Would I get in trouble using that on a person in self-defense? I'm not as young as I used to be.
- Question- I have to take issue about the Juneau empire 11/23/12 it clearly states that one James R Hanson was cited for DWOL
Here is the link http://m.juneauempire.com/local/2011-10-23/police-fire
I saved it the day the paper came out. Whom should I call? JPD or the empire? That was not clear in your answer
Again thank you
- Question- It is legal to uses drugs ie heroin meth if you work for JPD or the Feds.
So what is the crime buying or selling?
- Question- How long does it take for you to answer questions that have been posted?
- Question- I've been hearing a lot about a Juneau Christmas party being organized by Sam Dalin, chaplain for the Juneau Police Department. How does one become a chaplain for the police department? Is this an appointed position? How long has Mr. Dalin been the chaplain? From some of the things I have heard about this party, it sounds more like a Christian revival. What is the association of the police department with this party?
- Question- Hi--
I was walking in my neighborhood (Bonnie Brae sub-division North Douglas) last night about 11:30 pm and noticed a cop car driving around the streets. Just curious if there have been susupicious activity in the neighborhood that we should be aware? of Anyways we appreciate the police presence in our neighborhood. Thanks!
- Question- what is the percentage of anglo police officers do you have
- Question- Why are there no parking zones if they are not enforced? Everytime I go to Walmart, I see someone parking in the no parking zone. Let's say a person with a disability parking tag parks in the no parking zone because there are no other handicap spots left, does that justify them parking there?
- Question- I read in the Juneau Empire. Sunday November 23rd 2012
That a rather nitorious resident was stopped for driving with out a liscense.
Yet it wasn't posted in JPD's Daily Bulliten.
How can the Empire have this public information.
When I called them this summer on another lack of information regarding some
Drug bust they said they get their information from you
So which is it?
- Question- A person I know has moved to _______ and openly invites everyone on their contact list (via facebook) to "bath salt" parties. The event includes the address and time of these parties. Could I report it to the ________ police and get these people the help they need? Or is it not illegal there yet? Please hide the state from public viewing, I don't want this to be traced back to me.
- Question- how does your dispatch center work/
- Question- Is it worth call for trucks parked on the side walk so hat kids have to go out in the streetto get around them
- Question- I live off of Threadneedle Street in the valley and almost every day for the last couple of months one house (I believe the number is 8184) on Threadneetle has had cars parked on the street. They are there over night, during the day, in the evenings- you name it. A lot of the time there is space for the car(s) that are parked on the street in the driveway of that house. It has become rather irritating because of how often cars are parked there and block traffic. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they were only there once in awhile but they are there EVERY DAY of the week. I was wondering what the legality of parking ON the street is? Can/should I call this in to JPD's non-emergency line?
- Question- what question do u ask when someone calls with an emergency
- Question- there have been no new post put up in quite awhile, whats up?
- Question- My ex bf is has my school diploma and all school certificates and he is not responding my emails. Is there anything you could do to help me?
- Question- There is an older dark red Toyota van that has been left unmoved for months at the very top of Seward St.(last space by power pole on 7th St.) The person who used to drive it has not been seen around. It should be removed before the snow flies & it prevents proper snow removal in the street there.
- Question- About three weeks ago A resident on Valley Blvd put a rather large cabinet style TV on the sidewalk and just left it there. Since then it has been moved about three feet off of the sidewalk, however children, and teens continue to play around it which could lead to A terrible end result if it were to tip over on one of them. Aside from making the neighborhood look trashy, this is also a major safety issue for the many children that pass by it daily. Not sure who to contact, but hope it is removed before a child is injured, or worse. Thank you for this forum.
- Question- What are the regulations in Alaska ( Juneau ) regarding private party gun sales?
- Question- The 10/7/12 police report lists Case 121006-009 that occurred at 22:35 on 10/6/12 in the 6500 Block of Glacier Highway...although it states "See Press Release", I don't see a correlating press release. Can you please direct me to it? Thanks!
- Question- Will JPD be holding a prescription drug collection in the future? If so when and where will it be held?
- Question- did you get any calls about two UFO's flying down the channel on 9/22/12 AT 1655? my sister and I were on Egan drive, between hospital and Yacht club. We saw two craft, making no noise with strange lights. I am aware of aircraft, I love flying and I know what helicopters, small craft and jets look and sound like. this was scary.
- Question- Are there any legal ways to produce and display spray-paint street art?
- Question- Trauma is tramua and PTSD is PTSD. Calling it secondary or vicarious tramua is short-changing the dispatchers in our emergency medical services. The impact they suffer from what they experience is, in some ways, worse than what an officer goes through. The officer is out there and directly involved, with some degree of control over the outcome. The dispatcher experiences it internally and the sounds, the silences, the envisioning of what is going can no doubt be horrific and have a lasting impact. Through my career in law enforcement, I had nothing but the greatest admiration for those in the dispatch centers. My respect goes to them all.
- Question- On Thursday the 13th the valley was very smokey. Was there a house fire?
- Question- There is a green minivan parked in the south end of the Glacier Valley School parking lot. It hasn't moved in over a week, it may be abandoned. Could you please have an office investigate and tow it if necessary.
- Question- The 9/3-9/4 and 8/30 bulletins are missing. I know you guys must be busy, but please keep them coming. Thanks!
- Question- Late last night/early this morning, my 11 year old daughter woke me saying she heard shuffling or scraping noises several times in the back yard. I looked out our windows and everything looked fine. The family dog didn't seem phased and I didn't hear anything after that. I figured it was a critter or something. However, this morning when we went to let the dog out the flood light in the back was shattered all on the ground in front of the back door. There is a rough part of the door jam where the wood has been smoothly shaved away. My husband is out of town but says that he thinks that our dog did that and it has been like that. There is no wood chips on the ground but it was windy this morning. So I am trying to decide if I should at least report this as fishy or toss it up to a blown lightbulb and the dog.
- Question- Hello!
I currently live in Florida and work as a dispatcher. I am interested in moving to Juneau and work for JPD! Do you have any suggestions on how to go through the hiring process? Due to the process (and length), it almost seems impossible to be able to travel each time the next step needs to be completed.
Any information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated!
- Question- I heard a rumor that if you have an out of state cell phone number that when you call 911 the call won't go to the Juneau 911 system. Is that true? I know several people who moved to Juneau and never changed their cell phone number. Does not changing your cell phone number to a local number hurt you in an emergency?
- Question- Someone told me that 911 no longer works on mobile cell phones. That the number has been changed to 112. Is that true?
- Question- Does the Juneau police department not have a facebook page, or am I just crazy?! ;-)
- Question- Jeremy McWeeney cited for indecent exposure? Is that a joke?
- Question- What happened to the walk bridge on trinity blvd.Just moved back and its gone.
- Question- What are the rules about riding a bicycle in Juneau
- Question- Wondering why JPD never showed up to the huge party out at Sunshine Cove over the weekend? According to an young attendee I know (who makes poor social choices), there were excessive amounts of drugs and alcohol going around and numerous reports of drunk drivers on the road? Supposedly it was attended by hundreds of people, so how did JPD miss this one??
- Question- I watched a suspicious exchange take place on my street last week. I think it was a drug deal. A mid to late 1990's F350 4 door truck, white with a dark blue or green stripe, stopped on the wrong side of the road, behind some trees and waited. A man in his middle to late 20's walked down from a side street, walked up to the truck and got in the back passenger side door, not the front seat. He was in the rig for approx. 20 seconds, got back out, looked around and headed back to where he came from. The truck turned on his head lights and drove away. The truck had stopped by the trees in such a way that you couldn't see the truck from where the walking guy came from. I didn't think much about it until after the truck had left so I couldn't get a license plate number.
Here's my question; since this meeting was so short, what info does JPD need to respond right away if I see it happen again. I'm not going to let this become a regular occurrence around my home!!
- Question- I have a neighbor that has 2 old crappy boats in his yard, a car on blocks, a fish smoker, and tons of junk in their yard/driveway. Are there any codes that would disallow this? Thanks for your answer.
- Question- Was there a drug bust at the driftwood inn tonight?
- Question- There has been a ford truck sitting across from my home for about 11 hours with the guy still in it doing nothing but looking at our place. Was curious if this is okay, making my family feel VERY uncomfortable. Have never seen this person before.
- Question- I had my vehicle stolen about 3 months ago. I have heard no answer from the investigating officer about my case. I have called multiple times and left messages with the front desk. Is there any way to find out if my case has gone to the D.A. Yet. I would really like to know if the damage to stripping my car of parts will be taken care of.
- Question- Wondering if you could red tag a car ? It is a green caravan with a flat tire that has not moved in over two years. It is on Old Lawson Creek Rd. behind North Point Condo on condo property. There is am easement for one car to park there however there is more then one car. Thanks
- Question- McGinnis seems to be a street where people believe they can leave their vehicles and boats in the road with no consequence. There is currently a boat parked on McGinnis that I feel is causing through traffic issues. To whom do I make a formal complaint regarding the boat?
- Question- If my husband and I bought both our cars with cash and put title in his moms name bc my husband was scared his debt collectos would come after them. Does his mom have the right to just come and take both our cars? Neither one of them have been cars his mom has driven on a ragular basis, she has her own nice taho. Thank you
- Question- I have a family member that is not allowed to have any firearms because of mental illness's and a prior felony arrest. I resently found bullets in his car and a gun case in his house and I am worried because he has made prior comments about suicide. What happens to him if I find him with a fire arm?
- Question- I was told fireworks are legal. Is this true? I see you posted the city ordinance but there a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo. Can I have a straight forward answer?
- Question- On saturday the 21st there was a car on fire out on backloop on wren st i think, what happen and why was it on fire
- Question- I have a soon to be 13 year old son that would love to ride along with a police officer. Is this a possibility?
- Question- the vending cart on the sidewalk in front of miners mercantile building downtown. is this a permited space? its blocking the sidewalk. Its located under an eve. fire issue? Does she have a permit for this? Its there every fri and sat night.
- Question- How about the junky maroon GMC Jimmy on the corner of McGinnis and Duran that is in the roadway, bottlenecks traffic and was plowed around all winter last winter and has been sewpt around this summer. I've seen tickets on the vehicle before but it is still there. If they pay the ticket they get here and there can they continue to leave it broken down there?
- Question- How is your hiring done for the dispatch center? If I have applied before but was not selected, must I apply again or do you retain a list of qualified applicants?
- Question- If a persons car breaks down can they abondon that car in there yard for ever? Or on sone elses property also ?
- Question- Is there common-law marriage in Alaska? I am coming up on living with my boyfriend for 7 years, but not planning on getting married. Do I need to worry about becoming common law married because we have lived together for so long?
- Question- Is the online Juneau Crime Line the best way to submit information about a crime currently in progress? Is the response real-time? Is there a better way to call about non-emergency (not 911) violations that are in progress?
- Question- I was coming home last night (7/7) and there were multiple JPD officers at the corner of View Dr and Moraine Way blocking the road, I checked the daily report to see what it may have been but didn't see anything. Can you say what the issue was?
- Question- While police officers are at a house where the ocupant has died of natral causes, waiting for a corner, is it common for the officers to look through boxes, nightstands, dressers, etc? If so what are they looking for and why?
- Question- When is the next police vehicle auction? I cant seem to find a date or anything about it.
- Question- I read your response about 49cc motor scooters using local trails and. Your warning about using Egan. How would you recommend someone getting downtown from the valley if you cannot exceed 30 mph? Thanks.
- Question- I received a $25 citation the other day but I lost the paperwork. I don't know who I'm supposed to pay...
- Question- Sorry to bug you with this, but can you get married by a justice of the peace in Juneau? My fiance and I are googling up a storm but can't find one, and we really don't want a ceremony. Just want to sign the papers and start our life together.
- Question- A big loud man openly traffics illegal substances at Switzer Village. Everyone knows who & what. nothing ever happens. It's been going on for years why?
- Question- What is the Law In Douglas regarding BBQ ON A DECK Apt etc
- Question- ok what happen at the dump on Saturday, why is it a big secret,its been 48hours and no news abut it?
- Question- In response to the last question about the car broken down in the Walmart parking lot: why would CSOs spend a lot of time researching what happens to those cars if they're on private property? Seems like a waste of time.
- Question- With the work zone signs out and reduced speed limit signs by the intersection by Freds, the discussion has been as to whether this means only when workers are present or at all times.................my money is on at all times, thanks
- Question- An abandend care was redtaged at Douglas Highway and old Lawson Creek. The tag says move by 6/22. Its way past that now. ???
- Question- Can someone patrol through Creekside trailer court once in awhile in evenings after 10:00? Last week we called a guy was hanging around, bumped into a car and when opened window and saw him, he took off. At 3:00 a.m. this morning, a male wearing black hoodie, black jeans, vans shoes, about 20 yrs old, spikey hair was peeking in far end window. Took off running when opened curtain. Tonight about 9:30 there was a black older black boxy vw jetta sitting parked for 30-40 minutes. We had grill going. Thank you.
- Question- I just spoke with you about the family LIVING in a camper on Gastineau Avenue. You told me the CSO went up there yesterday (6/27) and reported everything is "ok". How is it "ok" to be living in camper on a city street for more than two weeks with CHILDREN living in the camper as well and using the ditch as their toilet! We walk our dogs and OUR kids on this street everyday and you're telling me it's "ok" to live on the street in a camper?! I am extrememly disappointed in JPD!
- Question- I know you just had someone ask about fireworks, but it was really vague. Does the law in juneau mean that you can have fireworks that shoot into the air or does it mean you cant have anything except sparklers, etc? Just trying to figure out if i can have fireworks in juneau besides the little party poppers you see in the store
- Question- Upon breaking down, battery died; I asked my mother for assistance.. Oodly enough she decided to keep the vehicle & hasn't returned in 3-4 days. There's absolutely no point in her having another car, she's instead trying to hold something over my head. Well I have a family with 3 kids & we need the vehicle back ASAP. On one side, yes she's correct vehicle is still registered under her name. But since purchasing vehicle outright ~1.5 years ago, it's been in my possession, & I can show a clear trail funds to purchase, service, gas, and insure we're 100% my earnings. Also, I know my mother would not lie to police when asked who's vehicle it really is. Is this enough evidence to file a report & hopefully retreive vehicle ASAP!? Or would I need to involve courts 1st?? If so, how exactly?
- Question- It appears a truck has been abanded on Old Lawson Creek Rd. and Douglas Hwy. It has been there two weeks with one flat tire and another one going flat. Thanks
- Question- My child has been asking if JPD is going to be having their Junior Police Accademy this Summer. It has been a huge success in the past and will be greatly missed if it is no longer available.
- Question- I had a small fire at home VERY early this morning...
I called JPD, and was surprised to have the responding officer there in less than 5 minutes, then CCFR just a minute later.
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who came, and thank you for being so quick to respond! If I could rate your service, it would be 5 stars!
- Question- How does citizens arrest work in Juneau? I called JPD for assistance because I witnessed an assault but they did not arrest the person who did the assaulting and threatening.
- Question- Is it possible to contact the owner of a truck that is either abandoned or is being "stored" on 7th street at the top of Seward St.? It is a small grey truck w/ green canopy & has not been moved for several months now. A nearby resident thinks it belongs to someone who lives down on 6th. Parking up here is already like combat parking without this kind of thing.
- Question- I want to know if I have never "officially" been served any papers by a police officer/judge any papers. Can I be banned permanently from a "public place"? This is a mixed residential/business.
- Question- would you know ware to get alobster dinner your town.
----- in haines
- Question- Dear Dispatcher-
Is it legal for a tour company to use a residential neighborhood as a parking lot? Every night on David St., 4 stretch M&M tour vans park on the street monopolizing over half of the available parking. Each morning the M&M drivers appear, move the vans and then park their personal vehicles in the spot so it will be there when the shift is over. Can they do that?
- Question- Can you please post the 6/5 bulletin? Thanks!
- Question- Hello, I was on craigslist and I saw a "wanted" add for pallets for some burning man event that used 600 pallets last year. I was under the impression that burning pallets with nails in them was illegal and a big fine for each one. I heard it was out sunshine last year on the beach. Just wondering if anyone would get fined for all the nails?
- Question- My boyfriend is mentally and physically abusive sometimes. I have called the AWARE shelter but they have no room and my family doesn't live here and i have no money to get my own place. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- Question- At 2:53 a.m. Wednesday, JPD investigated a reported kidnapping and assault in the 400 block of Franklin Street.
That is copy and pasted from the Juneau Empire website on 5/17/12. Can you please explain to me why there is not a PSA about it? Seems to me KIDNAPPING AND ASSAULT should get some air time. I pray this victim is okay.
- Question- For the last month or so, a large truck (AK plate ######) has been parked directly in front of a "No Parking" sign in the 200 block of Gastineau Ave. It appears the owner, who runs a landscaping business, has also started dumping wood and other debris on the hillside right next to the truck. I'm pretty sure this is a "No Parking" zone because the road is too narrow for emergency vehicles to pass when cars are parked on both sides of the street. The truck is usually there in the evening after 7pm, and was still there this morning at 8:20am.
Thanks for all you do, and for this great website!
- Question- Do Misdemeanor warrants ever go away?
- Question- In Alaska, what are the training requirements for a 911 Telecommunicator?
- Question- What are the hours and location for the upcoming prescription collection/disposal?
P.S. Thanks for all you do!
- Question- is there somewhere to safely dispose of trash that fits both haz-mat and bio-mat criteria?
- Question- Hello,
I was cited for a parking violation on April 02 in the marine parking garage. As the Officer noted I had the new April month pass in the windshield and viewable. However as I was not able to get down to the parking garage at midnight 01 April and switch the March pass out for the April so I left the March pass hanging on the rearview and as I stated the April pass was viewable and in the windshield as the Officer noted. I do not believe I should have been cited. How do I make sure that I'm not cited again? if I hang both monthly passes on the rearview only one would be viewable. That is exactly why I did what I did last month. Please advise me on how to ensure that I do not get another citation.
- Question- Overnight vehicle campers are back all along Gastineau Avenue. Please enforce/remove them "after hours" and not just M-F 8-4:30. You wouldn't want bums using the streets and ditches as bathrooms in YOUR neighborhood.
- Question- How can you find out what, if anything, was done following a report to the police department? I reported illegal burning/dumping on Montana Creek Road and forwarded photos of the still smoldering pile and an address label on a magazine at the edge of the burn area. I would like to know - did police follow up? Was a citation issued?
- Question- I've contacted AELP a few times now about the big branches they cut down at 412 Gastineau Avenue and just left them piled along side the hill to remove them but they still won't/haven't come. The branches get blown all over the street and on to the cars.
- Question- There was no daily bulletin posting for Saturday 3/17/12, could you post please?
- Question- Do I need a concealed weapons permit in Juneau?
- Question- What do I do if I find a bicycle abandoned on my property?
- Question- is it illegal to order from this website? http://www.brassknucklescompany.com/CRE/
- Question- My neighbors have called the police several times for noise disturbances. I am wondering if I can get the police reports for my address?
- Question- Why are Fireworks not sold within city limits?
- Question- Hello. Can I ride a dirt bike on the low-tide sand flats in the Mendenhall Wetlands? Also, can I hunt ducks in the wetlands? Thank you.
- Question- This isn't really a question, more like a suggestion/comment.It would be helpful if you could include the date with each posted question, because a lot of your answers are really useful but also time sensitive, so a person looking up a past answer with the keyword search wouldn't know if the answer was from yesterday, or last year for example and whether updated information was required or not.
- Question- Is JPD no longer doing vacation watch? It's not listed on the site any longer.
- Question- Are there specific knife length laws in Juneau, and if so, would I legally be able to carry a machete if I were to go for a hike to clear obstacles along my path, or would I have to avoid such action?
- Question- A shoe-tosser struck at 2nd and Gold street recently. Is there an easy phone call to make or email I can send to someone to get them removed?
- Question- I am a romantic suspense writer. Can you help me with the vocabulary and terminology a dispatcher would use to send a police officer out on a call? I can give you the exact circumstance of the call that happens in my story
- Question- About 10 years ago I was at you P.D. when you P.D. was right in town, Tell me do you still sell golf shirts if so can I do it over the computer and if you will can you send me a list of stuff you have for sale.
- Question- I love you guys!
- Question- Why isnt the a section for 2012 press releases?
- Question- I recently called in for JPD to check out a male in a bright yellow jacket assaulting another male on Old Glacier Hwy. near the retaining wall on 1/27/12. I didn't see anything in the police blotter about the man getting arrested for assault. Did I miss it somehow or did JPD not make it in time?
- Question- Today's daily bulletin (1-27-12) states in Case Number 120127-003 that the individual was arrested for FAILURE TO APPEAR ON AN ORIGINAL CHARGE OF MIW 4TH. What is MIW? Thank you!
- Question- I was looking on your website for something else, and found your Vacation Watch service. That's a wonderful service. Seeing things like this make me so happy to live in Juneau. Thank you!
- Question- The daily Bulletin for 1/24/2012 says there was a walk away from Gastineau Manor. States that there will be a report to follow. How long does that usually take?
- Question- I'm considering becoming a "freegan" which entails dumpster diving. Is dumpster diving illegal?
- Question- There was an abandoned car picked up on Ladd Street a few weeks ago after it had sat there for about a week - but the mattresses that were dumped beside it have been found thrown in the creek on private property across the street. When abandoned cars are removed, does the personal property go with it. This is an extreme expense and inconvenience to private property owners who end up with someone else's junk on their property.
- Question- Thank you for finding the Crime Reports button for me. I'm having a hard time believing that crimes are happening only in the downtown area . . . especially when I read the police blotter in the Empire. Are crimes happening in other parts of the city? Why aren't they being plotted? The downtown information doesn't help me very much if I'm looking for a house on North Douglas or the Valley or elsewhere.
- Question- How long does it take from when someone gets in trouble for the officers to complete the paperwork, turn it into the DA's office and for the charges to show up in the court records online with a case number?
- Question- Where are you finding "crime mapping"? It's not on my computer on the left side of the menu bar, and I even had a friend check so I wasn't missing it.
- Question- We are looking at a home in the ........ area of the Mendenhall Valley. Is there a higher than average level of crime activity or police reports that originate in this area?
- Question- With all these shootings that have happened is there an update on ...... who was accidently shot on a hunting trip? Have not heard anything about him.. Just wanted to know if he is okay or did he die.. Thank you
- Question- My neighbor occasionally burns stuff in his back yard. I'm okay with wood smoke but his trash burn smells like chemicals. I'm worried for the health of my pets, who need to be outside intermittantly during his burns. Also, if we have any windows open (like hot summer nights), the chemical smell seeps into our house and I have breathing problems (nothing major - probably just allergy stuff).
Are there limitations to what people can burn in their yard?
- Question- Is there any update on the identity of the man involved in the shooting/suicide from last week? Thanks!
- Question- my daughter and her boy friend have broke up and he refuses to let her get her things out of the house can jpd help or do i have to come to juneau to handle the situation
- Question- I just wanted to say Thank you to all of the dispatch officers who have had to handle all these unusual Juneau Crimes from armed robberies, to people getting shot. For keeping the community as safe as you can.. I know that your job is stressful but to add all these new calls can make your job more stressful. So thank you for getting these calls taken care of and for doing your best to keep the community safe.. I know that there a few people out there that dont have a lot of respect for you all but keep in mind that there are a lot more people that do. So thank you all for sticking to the job that I think has to be one of the hardest ones to do.. I commend you all deeply.. Keep it up.. JDP and CCF/R wouldnt be needed if we didnt have you all to get the calls out to them in a timely manner..
- Question- Someone abandoned a boat and trailer in the lot across from super bear.How would someone go about claiming it.I need a trailer.
- Question- daily bullietin fron 12/18 was not posted, please post. Thanks!
- Question- Early this morning (Sunday) my roommate and I swear that we heard a small pack of coyotes howling near the Spruce St. cemetery in downtown Juneau. The activity lasted for at least half an hour and was very loud. It ended after a gunshot was fired, presumably by the police? We are unable to verify any of this on local news stations so we were hoping that you could confirm.
- Question- Are all dispatchers as babelicious as they sound ?
- Question- Where can I access a list of all current inmates at the Lemon Creek Correctional facility?
- Question- The 11/22/11 bulletin is missing. Thanks!
- Question- City Ordinance states in 42.20.060:(a)except as authorized by a federal or state permit, it is unlawful for any person to carry any firearm, or any deadly weapon of any kind, in a concealed manner.(b)Carrying deadly weapons is a Class B misdemeanor. The way I read this is that it is unlawful by city ordinance to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Alaska Statute states in Sec. 18.65.778. Municipal preemption. A municipality may not restrict the carrying of a concealed handgun by permit under AS 18.65.700 - 18.65.790. This appear to me to indicate that municipalities may not restrict the carrying of concealed weapons to permit holders. Can you shed light on this this apparent contradiction? If you think I am reading those right and they are at odds, I would specifically like to know what the ramifications are if I happen to carry a concealed weapon without a permit and am contacted by a JPD officer. When I comply with the law that I inform them of the weapon I am carrying, are they going to try to enforce the city ordinance or defer to the state statute?
- Question- Hello, My name is --------. I heard you have my son, -------incarcerrated either with city or sheriff, I don't know which one. Is there a way I can find out and what he is charged with and his bond if he has one. My contact information is...------------.
- Question- How do you go about getting a restraining order.
- Question- There is no November 28 daily bulletin. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- There is no daily report for November 14th. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- I have a question. I know that JPD has a file on most people in town, and that they have very specific info from their car computers. Is there anyway to get a copy of EVERYTHING JPD has on me? Not just the cases/tickets; but all the notes, comments, reported things ive done, etc....?
- Question- There needs to be a better system than the crimeline because by the time any tip is actually read, the information is so old, the people have most likely moved around. It's hard to keep faith in those who are supposed to protect us when they have been given the information needed but still don't do anything about it.
- Question- Let's say a woman gets raped and a policeman just happens to drive by and see but before he can pull over the man runs away. If the vitim doesn't want to talk about it, report it, etc; can she get charged for not complying with the officer? This scenerio is unlikely, but I was just wondering what a vitim's rights were if this, or something like it were to happen.
- Question- How do I get a copy of a conditions of release? I would like to see the conditions in which ...... was released on 3rd party bail. On September 18th this person was trying to get perscription medication. I would think because of her charges, that this person wouldn't be allowed more drugs while out on bail.
- Question- If someone is known as a SAM (sexual abuse on minors, or sexual assult) can someone still do a ride along jpd, or as I have read a ride a long with dispatch? Also I was reading about this JCP programs what are some guide lines to enter? If someone has a background or a criminal record all of them mistormenors can they still do a ride along? Also is there a way to do a ride a long with these JCP people?
- Question- Are there any updates on Scott Walkenford? Haven't heard anything in awhile so I'd thought I'd ask.
- Question- Why can't we laminate our Social Security Cards? I'm about twenty and mine's already starting to wear and I don't want to end up accidentally tearing it.
- Question- I asked a question a week or so ago that has yet to be posted. i did not include anything offensive, anyone's personal information or even anything in criticism of JPD. Yet there has been no response to my question. How do dispatchers decide which questions to answer and which to ignore or avoid?
- Question- Is there a way that I can volunteer to help JPD with traffic control, or just help or assist them in anyway? I just want to give back to my community and help try to make Juneau a safer place it there are extra eyes out there for JPD. Since there are so many officers and a whole more people here. Down south we had something like that. I know you can volunteer for the fire deparment here so can you volunteer with JDP and be just as hands on as the volunteer fire fighters are? If so, who do I contact?
- Question- A friend of mine saw a moose out the road and took pictures and everything. Since when does Juneau have moose??!!
- Question- Thanks to the Community Officers for tagging the abandoned cars on Gastineau! But, once again, the yellow Safari van, license GAU542 is back and parked there almost 24/7. Sometimes they leave before 8am and returning after 5pm to make sure they aren't seen my the Comm. Officers. They also have a puppy that sits in this van all day and night! My neighborhood is extremely exhauseted from seeing homeless people camping out of their vehicles and parking on our street! What can be done about this?
- Question- I had a piece of expensive jewelry stolen while in a domestic relationship. I know who took it as does my previous partner. the item has been missing for about 3 months. I gave the ex time to get it back from his child, who stole it. the item is not returned. Can I still file a police report of the stolen item?
- Question- Just wondering about the shooting at Switzer Village last night?
- Question- I'm nineteen and am married to a twenty-one year old. Is it legal for me to drink alcohol at a restaurant with him? Or does it have to be inside our home?
- Question- My dad likes to burn wood, cardboard, etc, in the fire pit in our backyard instead of spending money taking it to the dump; but our neighbors behind us to the left don't like it, particularly the wife of the house who claims she likes to garden and doesn't like the smoke in her face while she's doing this. My dad has gone over there and asked them if he could work out times which he would be aloud to burn, even offering to do it at night while they sleep. The husband has agreed to this but his wife still won't budge. Would it be okay if my dad just did it anyway? Or could they report him and he get in any sort of trouble?
- Question- What happened to the person who passed away on 5th street?
- Question- Hoe does JPD determine or decide what goes in the daily bulletin, what needs a press release and what doesn't?
- Question- If you have been ordered not to have any firearms, and you're living with someone else who has firearms, will the homeowner get in trouble?
- Question- How does someone turn him or herself in on a misdemeanor warrant?
- Question- Hello, how many operators do you have working in your Communication's Center?
- Question- do you want people to report to jpd if there is people coming up to our houses and asking about personnel info or do you want us to shut the door in their face and have them leave?
- Question- Given the "questionable" people selling books and other goodies. And the police departments (or atleast dispatch's) lack of desire to do more than give the blanket statement that 'we know'. How far can we go in 'defense' of life or property?
I question this due to the nature of the subjects in question. Given their dress code (what you would expect from someone being lodged at the johnson to be wearing) The pundgent scent of leafy green things (not peppermint, and the personal questions reguarding hours of work, if the dogs bite, how much you make...
I have had two run ins with one of the groups today. First, while working. Where one of the subjects "knew" the former occupant of the residence i was working on. This struck me as odd for two reasons. 1. The former occupant is in jail on meth charges. And 2. the 'salesmen' is from gig harbor Wa, and only up here on the company dime.
The 2nd run in, the 'subjects' walked past atleast 6 other residences that were 'up', walked to the end of the street, then turned around and stop on my doorstep. After being told that i was not intrested several times, they pushed on, offering a COPY of a FAX that was a COPY of an ABL. After the subjects in question left (in the direction they came from) and again walked by several houses that were light, i drove around the area to see if i could locate them. In my trip around the block, i found three (3) other partys. All having the same bundle of papers in their back pocket. One, being solo, was tucked between the fence and the treeline at Glicerview park. A lady walking her less than ammused dog in the area rousted him out. Another pair were on the corner of stephen richards and riverside. They hit the trees behind sprusewood as i turned the corner. A third pair was in the area of Longrun, waking tword town.
I do not question the Company, but i seriously question the 'salesmen'. And somehow the responce of "we have had several call about them, and we are contacting the company tomarow" dosnt help me sleep.
- Question- Hi there,
I'm about to start work on a short novel involving emergency dispatchers for my college creative writing course, and I was wondering if you could help me out with a few queries. Any help would be really appreciated.
1. If you're in the middle of a call, do you wear belt-clip units or something that allow you to roam away from your computer while still remaining on the call?
2. What are emergency dispatch centers "busy" periods? When would you be on high-alert? I realize of course that working dispatch means you're ALWAYS on "high" alert, but are there periods that you get more calls during? New Years Eve perhaps?
3. Are calls traced instantly? Is there a way for a caller to not have his phone-number/location revealed to you? Or are these immediately on your screens the moment the calls come in?
4. Are old dispatch recordings kept on tapes, or digital? Is there some employee-only company database that is searchable to pull old calls from?
5. What is the official title for the 'Head Supervisor' of the dispatch center?
- Question- This email is going around.....are these plastic bottle really dangerous? If so, it makes me very nervous to even have my child playing outside. We have heard "shot gun" noises the past month in our valley neighborhood.
This isn't only happening on our street, so passing this along so everyone can keep watch.
I'm sure you've heard of the plastic bottle bombs. We've been hearing unexplained explosions/shots/noises lately, as have some of our neighbors.
Last night when our neighbor he was walking his dogs, he found an exploded plastic bottle bomb in the ditch not far from our mailbox ~ foil was laying all over the street and some in the ditch. He also found 3 more in front of 2 other neighbors (same side of street).
He called the police and when an officer arrived, he took the one in front of our house for evidence and told our neighbors they could throw the others away. With all the rain lately, it'll be next to impossible to get any fingerprints.
The one that was found in front of our house I heard last Thursday evening ~ sounded like someone had moved the cannon from the football field into our front yard. Shook the whole house, not to mention scaring our animals.
So we just want to get the word around. Do NOT hesitate to call the police if you hear something or see anything similar. Think about what would happen if an animal or kid walked up to one of those bottles that hadn't gone off yet. It's just a matter of time before that happens. And when you open your mailbox, look inside before reaching in!
They can't catch these idiots without the public's help.
Thanks everyone ~ be safe!
- Question- Is there an update on the man found dead in the ditch this (Friday) morning?
- Question- Are there dispatch positions available? I keep hearing the dispatch center is running everyone in overtime, yet there is no jobs posted. The only link of testing times http://www.juneau.org/personnel/documents/JPDTestingDates8-16-10.doc
leads to a screen stating that the next testing is March 29, 2011. (also the email Human Resources@ci.juneau.ak.us does not state whether it has a underscore or is one word spaces are not allowed in emails) Any information would be appreciated.
- Question- There is no daily bulletin for August 17th. Thanks.
- Question- I know a man who is on the sex offender registry and was recently out of compliance. I checked again today to see if he had been found yet, and it appears he has. The website says he has registered in an outlying community. Is there somewhere someone can call to speak with a person and get more details on the current living situations of these people? I'd certainly like to know what "outlying community" he is residing in. Thanks!!!
- Question- There is no Daily Bulletin for Sunday, 8-14-11. Thank you!
- Question- How does JPD determine who to arrest and not? It seems like it should be determined by wether they committed a crime or not. Lately, I have seen some pretty serious incidents in juneau, yet there havent been any arrests. Specifically the stabbing that occured a couple months ago that you guys did such a great investigation on. The CRIMINAL (The guy who did the STABBING) is free because the VICTIM was too scared to call the police, for fear of HIM going to jail for being a VICTIM. So the CRIMINAL, the man who stabbed another man, calls police, gives them some story, and gets off scott free. Then, a couple weeks ago, there was a rape, and there was quite a hubaloo about it, what with police picking kids up, releasing one, moving the other, questioning people, giving people rides to the hosiptal for rape kits, yet i didnt see ANYTHING related to it in the juneau empire, not on the police website. Heres the kicker. I watched police arrest a man for calling a cop a fat pig. Come to find out, the man got 80 hours of community service, and a load of jailtime hanging over his head for it. How in the world do you police officers decide to arrest and criminalize a drunken young man, yet let stabbers and rapists run free. Is there statutes or something you guys follow when making arrests? If so, can you start doing it please so juneau can be safer?
- Question- am wondering is a I..... C... has been arrested today or this evening ?
- Question- Is there or isn't there a state of AK penalty in Juneau for less than 4 ounces of marijuana plant or dried???
See Unclear Copied Text Below:
Dear Juneau Resident,
There is no way to smoke marijuana legally in the United States because federal law makes its possession, in any amount, illegal.
States may decide to have criminal consequences only in certain cases but state laws can’t trump federal laws or shield a resident from federal prosecution.
As far as understanding Alaska law, JPD’s drug unit weighed in to help answer that question. There is no statute saying you can possess marijuana, it's just that there are no criminal penalties for possession of less than four ounces (plant or dried) in your home. The original case that addressed the issue in Alaska was Ravin v. State in 1975. That decision was later overturned by the legislature, and possession of any usable amount of marijuana was given criminal consequences in Alaska in 1990. The law remained this way until Noy v. State in 2003 when the Alaska Court of Appeals reaffirmed the 1975 Ravin decision of the Alaska Supreme Court. The state does maintain that marijuana on your person in public or in your car is illegal and there are penalties for any amount.
- Question- I lost a Panasonic Lumix camera on the beach at False Outer Point on July 22. Has anyone turned in a digital camera?
Thank you. My phone number is ....
- Question- Is it illegal to give money to those panhandling on the sidewalks downtown? If not, it it routine for JPD officers to harass citizens who DO give money? Just wondering....
- Question- Just out of curiosity, has the number of parking tickets issued downtown increased or decreased since the parking meters went in?
- Question- Hi. I was wondering how you decide which dispatcher will answer these, or is it always the same one? I think the idea is neat to get to interact with dispatchers without being a nuisance. I think it would be cool to have the dispatchers sign the responses, just like they give their names when you call. That is one of the few things that would make your awesome program even better.
- Question- what does vcor stand for?
- Question- There is no bulletin for Monday, July 11th. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- Are the results of the online survey going to be made available for the public to view?
- Question- I haven't seen anything on what that big boom was at 1am on glacier view sound like a gun the first time then it was a loud boom and I saw orange and smoke by duck creek
- Question- Early this morning (7/6/11) between 00:30-01:00, there were two gigantic explosions in the valley. These were absolutely NOT fireworks.
Did JPD receive reports of these explosions - and if so, was the source determined?
- Question- What exactly does the law state reguarding fireworks i juneau?
Any time i have raised a complaint about the loud booms in the valley at night (21:00-01:00) i am told that there is nothing JPD can do about it, yet i can not count the number of 'violations' that aired between 21:00 and 23:00 on the 3rd.
- Question- JPD planted question-
I would like to weigh in on what community issues I think are the most important for JPD to address. How do I tell JPD what I am thinking?
- Question- That single vehicle motor roll over was reported on 6-22-11. The driver was cited for driving without a valid license and Careless Driving. The activity bulletin indicated JPD responded to the call but did not list charges but the driver was cited at the hospital.
In regards to this, was she not revoked? your report says ALC involved, so I take it she wasn't over the limit? No insurance on the vehicle?
- Question- Any idea when the next impound auction is????
- Question- When I try to open the Daily Bulletin for June 24th, I keep getting a message that the file is corrupted and cannot be opened. Can you fix that? Thank you.
- Question- Whats the status on the recent 6/16 assault investigation? Did you guys find out how the 24 year old ended up cut? Is the guy who cut him in jail yet? If not, why?
- Question- Where do you go to pay a ticket.There isnt an address on the back??
- Question- The 6/18 report is missing. Thanks!
- Question- I am interested in becoming a dispatcher. The CBJ website doesn't list the next available testing dates or hiring dates - does anyone know them? I've heard through the grapevine that you are very short handed.
- Question- There are several vehicles that homeless people are living out of at the end of Gastineau Avenue. Every single day the following vans overnight then leave quickly in the morning. They are littering and using the ditch as their bathroom. Please check frequently between hours of 4:00pm and 7:00am. Licence plate #'s: ----- (green ---), ---- (yellow ----) and ----- plates. Thanks!
- Question- I see a lot of people gathering large rocks from the Stabler's Point Quarry near the roadside and have wondered if they are breaking any laws. It seems like the CBJ blasts the rock and it's not for public consumption. Can you shed any light on this? Thanks!
- Question- Last Thursday I read a handwritten note on the bulletin board at the Mendenhall Mall about a rape/sexual assault that occurred near Duck Creek Market. The note said that a female was walking down the street and a van pulled over and forced her inside. The note said that the rape/sexual assault was not on the news or in the paper, it also had the first 2 letters of the supposed van's license plate.
Is this true?
- Question- To Whom it may concern,
My name is ..... My email is ..... I'm not sure if there is any truth to this, but I heard earlier today that there was a group of guys that watch and wait for a girl to be alone either during the day or evening then grab her, rape and beat her and that it has happened at least 4 times? I also noticed an increased police presence during lunch downtown today. Whats the deal? The sole reason I'm asking is to try to keep my friends safe.
- Question- Thanks for taking part in The Law Enforcement Torch Run & Pledge Drive for Special Olympics. You guys give back to our community in so many ways, know it's appreciated!
- Question- Hoping all will resolve peacefully on Distin Ave tonight, Praying everyone involved comes out uninjured, may our officers stay safe out there, and their guns stay unfired. We can't imagine the intensity in a situation like this, we're praying for you all out there though.
- Question- If Im being threatened by someone and I have it on tape, is there a way i can get a restraining order or something, cause i feel as this person is going to try and hurt me?
- Question- I talked to a friend who is a drug abuse counselor and she said one of her clients is a drug dealer(who left treatment early to go home and pick up her drugs at her house and deal) who stated she had multiple kids dealing drugs at JDHS during lunch, and her average daily take was over $11,000 dollars. Is JPD aware of this? and what is being done about it? Also the dealer makes regular trips to LA to go shopping. Good God, something needs to be done to stop these dealers!
- Question- Yesterday's daily bulletin hasn't posted yet...thanks! (For May 10th)
- Question- I work as a 911/dispatcher in Nevada. My fellow dispatchers and I were discussing the graveyard shift. We wanted to know if it is easier to work the graveyard shift in Alaska during your winter when it is dark most of the day?
- Question- The May 8th Daily Bulletin isn't there . . . Thanks!
- Question- was the fred meyer hold up real or just a rumor? and if it was true did they catch the person?
- Question- Is Frederick Howard still missing? If he is why don't you put a picture on the "Missing persons"? Also didn't he used to live in Pelican?
- Question- When someone is in jail why cant they call cell phone?? when most people dont have home phones anymore. I just dont get it.
- Question- Can you give more info on the recent assault in the Mendenhall Valley (of the woman walking home), such as where it took place?, vehicle description? I often walk my dog in the evenings, especially in the spring/summer. What was the assault? a beating or a sexual assault?
- Question- What does the law state in reference to selling alcohol to someone who is visually intoxicated already? I thought this was a no-no. Twice now, within a short period of time, I have seen this happen.
- Question- I'm confused about why the recent press release regarding an abduction/assault chose to disclose that the victim had just prior had a disagreement with her significant other. It seems to be a private detail with no significance for we public. Can u explain?
- Question- The May 1st dailey bulletin post is missing. Thanks!
- Question- What happened at the brewery?
- Question- I just want to say thanks to sergeant hernandez and his young cohort in assisting me and my business earlier this week. I have had drunken encounters with the both of them, in which i acted like a fool. When they came to my place of business at our request, they acted like they didnt know me. Kudos to you two. Way to keep it professional.
- Question- Is it legal to burn pallets on non-Forest Service beaches as long as it is in a pit and people are being responsible?
- Question- If 3 items were stolen from a house and we know who the person was that took them, is there something the police can do other than just question that person?
- Question- Can you please regularly monitor Gastineau Avenue for abandoned vehicles and people living out of their vehicles. This is becoming a very increasing problem and creating more alcohol and drug activity on a neighborhood street that needs Police monitoring on a regular basis. There are several abandoned cars and trucks and a Ford van, silver and blue, #CYZ395, has been sitting across the entrance from Channel View Apts. for two weeks now, and at least two people are living out of. They are littering around their van and using the curb as their bathroom. Please send JPD up to Gastineau Avenue REGULARLY!!! THANKS!
- Question- do you kmow when and where this auction ive heard about will take place?
- Question- What's GRH? JPD and the radio stations both refer to it. Thanks!
- Question- Hi, the archives section has not been updated to include March 2011 yet. Thanks!
- Question- What is a report of VCOR?
- Question- Juneau has excellent bike paths all over town, the weather is getting better so I have a few questions.
In areas where there are sidewalks along side bike paths, is it legal for the bicyclists to ride on the sidewalks? (e.g. Old Glacier Hwy, Riverside, Douglas, etc.) As a pedestrian I don't mind sharing the space, but come on bicyclists... practice cycling safety!!! It is very rare that I get alerted from bicyclists that anyone is behind me and often times don't know until someone speeds by. If the pedestrain gets hit, who is at fault in these type of "run in" situations?
- Question- Is it true you can be ticketed $100 for each glass container you bring on a beach?
- Question- I heard that if a female is getting arrested, a male officer is allowed to search her, even if she asks for a female cop? Is this true??
- Question- The weekly warrent list has not been updated...
- Question- The 3/20 daily report is missing. Thanks!
- Question- Is there anywhere an rv can park without being harassed by jpd. Jpd is good at telling you where you cant park, but not where you CAN park. any suggestions?
- Question- Is there any state or city law that states how far away a BBQ grill needs to be from an apartment building while in use? My neighbor's grill is up night next to the apartment building and some smoke and LOTS of the fumes filled my apartment (which is directly above them). I asked them if they could pull it away from the apartment complex but they refused..
- Question- There hasn't been any update on the man who jumped from the vehicle and was airlifted to Anchorage. I know it's obviously an ongoing investigation but is there any information you can provide?
- Question- I wanted to let you guys know that each and everyone one of you are very appreciated, I can't imagine the stress that all of you go through daily, and having to listen to the ungreatful folks in this community must wear on you, as a 29 year Juneau resident I want to apologize for the ungreatful ones and pray that they see the light soon. In closing, it makes me very pround to live in Juneau knowing that the Juneau Police Department is there for the community, again your very appreciated and you guys will be in my prayers.....KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB..
- Question- Does Juneau have a tsunami evacuation route/ shelters, if so where can you find it?
- Question- In the daily report, when there is a notice of a runaway/missing person, it often does not reflect in the 'Juneau Missing Person' tab...why is that?
- Question- Young people have been calling our house with a "recreation survey." The questions lead us to believe they are casing houses to find out when people are gone so that they might break in. Is this a known scam or part of a school project or what?
- Question- There is a truck and a van parked at an empty trailer they havent moved for a month there. I really dont think people should park where ever and leave them there
- Question- My boyfriend was tellin me about a friend of the family that got picked up for freaking out at a store and its been 2 weeks since that happend and cops say they dont remember where they took her. that makes me feel a little uncomfortable. and shes still missing
- Question- archived daily for Feb. 2011 is missing.
- Question- My ex-boyfriend is harrassing me online. I've already taken out 2 protective orders against him, but they have since expired. Does this mean I should get another one?
- Question- There hasn't been news concerning the young lady whose body was found on Long Run Drive; what was the cause of death? Was she dumped there or did she get there on her own? There's been lots of rumors, but you know how that is in this town.
- Question- I saw someone asked if this town was safe to raise kids.. And you guys answered yes there are things to do like high school activites the pool ice skating.. but What about when you are outta high school? or dont like sports. Ive lost a lot of friends to drugs and I feel like thats all this town is becoming that or girls gettin pregnant. i think something needs to be done
- Question- I believe the people livin by me sell drugs. There are always different cars drivin by or parkin in front of my house and walk to the peoples place by mine. Ive also seen some of the people leavin and know they do or have done drugs. I have a daugther and my neighbers have kids just lookin out. how do I report this?
- Question- The last question you answered "was a n***** b**** pick up last night?"...holy crap?! Why would you post that question on here? It's obviously an offensive statement for the letters to be replaced. Don't you pick and choose what questions go up here? Why would you choose something so offensive?
- Question- has a n**** b**** been picked up tonight
- Question- If an item I purchased turns out to be stolen, I understand I could be charged with the crime of "receiving stolen property." Besides actually bringing the item to JPD for a check of serial numbers, how do I do my own "due diligence" to be assured that the item is not stolen? If the seller writes a "bill of sale" does this protect me?
- Question- I recently got a few parking tickets for accidentally leaving my car parked overnight in a 1-hour zone. I put the tickets in my glove department and forgot about them. A couple weeks ago I found them and paid the tickets. However, I noticed on the back it said that a warrant could be issued for my arrest and I could be assessed and additional $75 fee.
Does this mean I could go to jail for a parking ticket? Isn't this a sort of debtors' prison? I read an article about debtors prisons ("Debtors' prison— again" http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/article991963.ece, St. Petersburg Times). It says at the end that "In the United States, it is unconstitutional to incarcerate someone solely for failing to pay a debt. Florida officials get around this by claiming the defendants are going to jail not for their debts but for violating a court order."
What is the story behind the Alaskan debtors' imprisonment?
- Question- I don't feel your answer to the question about drug busts and press releases was helpful or adequate. The person wasn't asking why you use press releases, they wanted to why you DIDN'T use certain busts in a press release.
- Question- I would like to congratulate JPD on the opening of the new substation downtown. :)
- Question- How come all the bigger drug bust arent advertised, I have noticed lately, by reading the daily bulletin that there have been other busts, but they arent advertised, have seperate articles written on them, or on the radio. Also, how come some are advertised everywhere, articles written in/on the front page of the paper, on the news for multiple days, etc. Then they are fallowed up upon and we hear the outcome, then you have others that are the same serious offense, with the same possible punishment and they are just listed in the daily bulletin and not heard of? It would be nice that we should be more informed on who, what, when, where, why, and how, equally...
- Question- I'm curious to what happened with the search for Jeffery "Scott" Walkenford, I never saw an update saying he was located. Anything new?
- Question- This is just a thank you, to all that every single one of you do.
I knew the girl on Long Run, and it breaks my heart everyday thinking about it. I think you guys do an amazing job. THANK YOU.
- Question- I am impressed with the two herion case arrests and the arrests made in the oxy bust today, I can only hope you folks are working just as hard to find the truth behind that poor girl on Long Run. It's time for police to step in full board and get control of the problems this town has.
- Question- why should telecommunicator not give legal advice
- Question- Can you tell me what information a pawn shop is required by law to collect from someone selling them items? A friend told me they were required by a local pawn shop to give them a photocopy of their drivers license AND their social security number based on "some city and state laws". Requiring a social security number sounds overly intrusive and could be used to steal a persons identity.
- Question- I've done a little searching online but can't find a solid answer.
Is distilling of alcohol legal in Alaska? I do know brewing is legal in most Alaskan Cities.
- Question- Is it true that a fire ball crashed into the ridge behind Gold Creek on the morning of the 14th?
- Question- Hello,
I am in the market for a device for personal protection, and I was wondering what the laws are regarding switchblades. If they are illegal to carry, and possess, or are they allowed if you store one in a car. If they are, my next question is why guns are legal, and switchblades are not. Also, what does JPD recommend for somebody looking for a personal protection device?
- Question- I'm writing this in response to the people complaining about the kids and young adults in the mall parking lot.
I'm in my late 20s now and back when I was that age we did the same thing. We would drive around, goof off and park in the mall and hang out. We never did drugs, drank or even smoked! We just talked and hung out. Now adays I do notice kids playing their music loud in the middle of the parking lot but who are they bothering with that? Would you rather them doing it in a neighborhood?
Stop being so nosy, I'm sure there have been multiple officers that have observed them and even dropped by to say hi. It's not like the kids and young adults are hiding... they are in plain sight!
- Question- Hi Folks,
We lost a blackberry (Nephew) and glasses (wife) outside the wharf last Saturday. Where would I ask to see if we can recover them?
We think the blackberry was lost around the rocks out front at the beginning of the wharf parking area. We think the glasses were
lost across the intersection, on the sidewalk, in front of the SeaAlaska plaza(called them).
- Question- Is there duck hunting in the Twin Lakes/DIPAC area since November? It's now almost Christmas and sometimes my family and I can hear shotgun blasts in that area in the mornings and I didn't know if there was still duck hunting or not.
- Question- When will Juneau residents be able to pay parking tickets online with a credit card? It seems like in this internet age this process would already be in place.
- Question- Hi there
Where is the daily report from 12/12-12/13? Thanks!
- Question- Who do I call when I see a residence in violation of the "burn ban"? The other day, the no-burn sign was posted on Riverside Drive (by JRC) and just a few houses away, there was a home with a HUGE plume of smoke puffing out of their chimney. Very annoying!
- Question- I heard that there were ambulance's, fire trucks, and police cars in Cedar Park the other day, and that someone had died, yet I can't find anything in the paper about it. Do you know what happened? With a small town like Juneau, when you hear that someone died, it's likely you know the person, so I was curious if anyone had actually passed away? Thank you for your time!
- Question- This isn't a question as it is more of a compliment...
Thank you for everything you do to help keep Juneau a safe place. From what it looks like in the picture, you guys have a lot of multi-tasking going on and yet somehow you guys still are great at what you do! So, thank you! My family appreciates you always being there.... and thank you to the rest of the JPD staff too!! Merry (Extremely Early) Christmas!
- Question- Where is burn-ban information found online? I would like to know whether it is still in effect or not and where to find out in the future if it is.
- Question- When will there be an update about baby rian Orr? When will her parents names be released? Also, I heard there was a fire by the airport. Could you confirm that if it's true please? Hope Everyone is okay.
- Question- Here I am, once again responding to the comments about the "Mendy kids" I would absolutely love it for the other lady/guy who has problems to come sit there with us and see what we are all about! She has no right to judge what we do, she has no idea what we do here for activities. Most of the teenagers she sees smoking are of legal age. And we don't cause problems. We have not been littering, Goldbelt security has talked to us months ago about this and we have cleaned up. So most of the trash you see, can not all be blamed on us. Thanks!!!
- Question- I bought a police scanner app. for my phone and it always says the Juneau station is off. It used to be turned on and I used to frequently listen to it. Is turing it back on something that you guys control? Or is there something wrong with the app?
- Question- Since today was such a nice day I wanted to take advantage of it and burn some wood scraps I had laying around. An officer came by and told me I had to put my fire out. I am wondering why since there was not an air emergency in effect?
- Question- I was reading through several of your question/answers for Ask a Dispatcher and I was rather dissatisfied.
My first concern is "the Mendy," or the Mendenhall Mall parking lot. As a teenager, I know a few of the kids that hang out there from school and growing up in Juneau, I have seen some of these kids smoking and even if I don't know what exactly it was that they were smoking it still isn't legal for a 17 year old to be smoking anything wether it be cigarettes or marijuana. Period.
I would like to secondly comment on your response to speeders on Threadneedle Street. I agree that there needs to be more patrols in this area, not only during rush hours and after school but at night and really any time of the day. You suggested in your post, that if we "concerned parents" (or concerned anyone) do speed limit laps to help enforce the speed limit on our own, others would follow by example. I'd like to let you know that this is an old idea and is completely ineffective. I've tired it everyday on my way home from work and school and the speeders behind you either tailgate you until you or they reach their destination or they run the stop sign after you've stopped and proceeded. Speeding and running the stop sign at the Trafalgar/Threadneedle intersection is a HUGE problem! 4 out of 5 cars do not stop completely or even slow down.
I hope that JPD opens their eyes and realizes you are making the problems seem smaller than they are. A lot of people I know in my neighborhood agree that speeding and ignoring the stop signs are a huge problem. Also, a lot of my peers and elders agree with me that the Mendenhall Mall parking lot is not being treated the way it should. This community needs you JPD, please don't leave us helpless and frustrated like this. You need to be enforcing the law and from my day to day life it does not appear that you do this.
- Question- The 11/12 bulletin seems to be missing. Will this be posted? Thanks!
- Question- I'm replying again to the Mendenhall hang out. Thank you sooo much for stating that, it's nice to know somebody has our back on this! It's Juneau, and for us teenagers 17-20 really have nothing better to do with our time unless we have jobs after those times. I hope some time in the near future we will be allowed to have some where to go with our cars and can just hang out and not be nagged and accused of things we aren't doing. But I do appreciate the statement you made!
- Question- I've always wondered why there wasn't an easier number to call and agree with the previous writer. At this point, a new number probably would be just as hard until lit became familiar.
- Question- Why don't you guys get an easier to remember phone number for non-emergencies? Like, 586-0586 or 586-5860, or even 586-0000? The 586-0600 is OK, but sometimes many people just forget it and either do not call you with reports or dial 911 with a non-emergency. I recommend you at least add another, easier to remember number for non-emergencies - and see what happens! I am sure phone companies or current number owners will be happy to help and give you the number if it's already taken.
- Question- My wife found a digital music player in the Twin Lakes area, yesterday. Does JPD have a lost and found reporting system? The player is a distinct color and has a unique sticker.
- Question- I would like to make a response to the comments about the cars in the mendenhall parking lot "passing drugs". I, as well as the others who sit there, are not passing drugs nor are we passing money for drugs. I question what people would rather have us teenagers doing, partying or hanging out keeping eachother out of trouble? Most of the time, if we are parked next to eachother and "passing" something in between, it's usually a cd or a cigarette. Thank you very much for your time.
- Question- Is it too late to report a threat of domestic violence which occured to me on 10/28/10? I have no bruises and nothing was broken of mine, but my boyfriend threatened me 3 times with physical violence and held me captive in my own home and took my phone from me so I could not call the police.
- Question- If someone has sex with another person, after that somebody else gets them high out of their mind on crystal meth, and it was might have been a mutual thing at the time, but after the other person sobers up realizes that she was so completely gone out of her mind...would this be considered rape?
- Question- for oct 30 to oct 31 reports are missing are not up yet
- Question- some one said that the best western was held up last night is it true
and did you catch them
- Question- Are there any other job openings at JPD?
- Question- I just wanted to say Thank you to all of those in JPD that responded to ------ and tried to save him. Thank you for trying.
- Question- If the next if kin has been notified for the suicidal subject, when will the public
Know? I am worried it is someone I know.
- Question- What's with a large gang of drunk people always hanging out on public parking lot behind State Museum and harassing people all day? Only a matter of time before some serious trouble happens there. They litter badly too.
- Question- There is a person who had my debit card written on a peice of paper and used it to get a hotel when he was released from jail this morning down there the hotel ran it without verification what can i do
- Question- Your latest blog entry has a complete "women are the victim" slant on domestic violence. Thanks for keeping the stereotype alive!!!
- Question- There are still fishermen snagging off the DIPAC dock area, in the no snagging zone, October 8, 2010, 3:30pm.
- Question- I would like to know why Officer Ervin is still employeed with the City,, you can't tell me that JPD or the city isn't showing favoritizm, I would like to know why he wasn't arrested and put in Lemon Creek, or why he's not being treated the same as anyone else for the same crime, I have lost all faith in the Juneau Police Department, this seemes to be another case of good ole boy treatment,, anyone else would be awaiting trail behind bars, but not Officer Ervin, lets keep him employed and give him a curfew, UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!
- Question- How often does JPD do public auctions of impounded vehicles or forfeitures?
- Question- Hey, I'm not sure if you at dispatch know or not, but when you go to JuneauPolice.com it comes up as an error and wont let you access the site. You can go to Juneau.org > Departments > Juneau Police and get to it however.
- Question- I have seen people wearing shirts that seem to be a memorial to the two police officers that were killed recently in Hoonah. There is a big picture of a bear on the back. Where can I get one?
- Question- I recently lost my keys. Where do I go to see if anyone turned them in?
- Question- If your a minor(under 21 but older then 18) and your partner is over 21. Can they have Alcohol in the house and throw a party even? Im not sure because of Minor in possetion of alcohol law. Is it in the minors possestion just for living there? Can the minor or the over 21 year old get in any trouble? Even if the minor is sober?
- Question- My boyfriends mom has his extra truck key. She refuses to give it back, she won't let us on her property to get it or let anyone take it to give it to him. She does not own or have her name on anything for the truck, How should we go about getting it back? Is there anyway law inforcment could help us?
- Question- I'm wondering why if prescription pain pill sales/use is such a big issue, the crime line program is so poorly manned and unresponsive? I know of multiple people that had submitted information on the crime line, through the web tips program and through the police department and the same old folks keep up the same behaviors?
- Question- Hello there. I have a ex girlfriend's father just email me with a threatening message, telling me that he was going to physically harm me upon his visit in juneau. What are the next steps that I should take?
- Question- I am doing my sit along tomorrow and have prepared a list of questions to ask.....is there anything I should ask that you feel is important? I want to be as detailed as possible so I can gather as much info as possible. Thanks!
- Question- What can I do if my spouse took my car from me? Both of our names are on the registration can I just go and pick it up? What if he refuses to give me the keys?
- Question- This may be a question for the fire department, but here goes. CBJ code states a burn permit is needed for open burning on one's property. From the CBJ website, "Open burning means the burning of a material which results in the products of combustion being emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or flue, but not including the burning of campfires, barbecues, candles or tobacco." My question is, what is the definition of a "campfire"? If I am relaxing in my backyard with a small fire and roasting marshmellows, hotdogs, etc, is this considered a campfire or do I need a burn permit?
- Question- I hike a lot and I have bear concerns, I want to buy a shotgun but am not sure if I can because I was convicted of a felony in ohio in 1994. Can I buy any type of gun?
- Question- I was wondering why the Police Officer being accused of a sex crime is not behind bars, I know people accused of the same crime who a currently awaiting trial behind bars,, I could be wrong and I hope I am, but it sounds to me like the department is showing favoritism because a police officer is involved,when I should be that the book be thrown at him because if anyone knows better it's a police officer that is trusted by the community
- Question- Why has the warrent list not been updated on the JPD website since July?
- Question- There is a truck that parks illegally (right next to a no parking sign) on Gastineau Avenue at Carroll Way. Early 90's green Ford pick-up, plate # 3235DR. I have seen the driver enter State Apartments #11. His truck takes up half the road and is leaking oil that flows right to the drain ditch. He's usually parked there after 5:00pm through the evening until next morning. Can you please send an officer up there since the truck is parked there after work hours? Thanks!
- Question- How do I go about applying for the records dept.?
- Question- A heartfelt thank you to the men and women in JPD uniforms and to dispatchers and traffic control. You all work together to make Juneau safe. I'm compelled to write after the emotional memorial services in Hoonah and yesterday while driving, when I saw our officers out and about doing their jobs, I was appreciative of the men and women who have chosen to put on those uniforms every day and night. My culture taught me that you should always uplift in public so this is a good forum to say Gunalcheésh aatlein (thank you very much). A quote I read recently, "Learn to write your hurts in the sand and to carve your benefits in stone." This is my stone.
- Question- Ive noticed alot of people hanging out at mendenhall mall on some nights there would be a group of them hanging out with their lights on their vehicles at least four of them with their lights on i was half tempted to call the police and let them know about it to have them turn off their lights while parked they were all facing to the street we drive on, I've also noticed them speeding across the parking lot and garbage the next day do they have anyone to monitor them there or are they supposed to be there and hang out in the parking lot
- Question- My mailbox was damaged by a baseball bat at approximately 12:30am, August 12, 2010. I did not replace the box, but straightened it the best that I could. I did not file a police report because I thought that it would be very difficult to catch the suspects, but was pleasantly surprised to hear that JPD did apprehend two kids. I have several neighbors that can testify of the recently damaged mailbox. Is it too late to file a report?
- Question- I realize that you do not have any thing to do with the "half way" house but was wondering if you give me any info on what the rules are if someone is suppose to be staying there. I thought that they were only allowed to go to and from work if the have a job or to court appearances. Are they really allowed to go out the road or other places for get togethers such as BBQ, birthday parties etc. Is there someone to contact for information on the rules?
- Question- how often is the warrant list updated?
- Question- After what happened in Hoonah I really became aware at how much you guys truely put yourselfs in the face of danger to protect us. Thank you JPD for everything you do! You may not hear it as much as you should but Juneau really appreciates what you do for our city!
- Question- What happened in Hoonah, something about one of the officers not making it?
- Question- What was going on with the city bus and ambulance on S. Franklin Street this morning (8/27) around 7:30? I was late to work because of the officer blocking the road...just curious...didn't see anything on the bulletin
- Question- Why was the press release section on your website removed?
- Question- How soon after a rape do you have to get a rape kit done if you want to keep your options for pressing charges open?
- Question- I've noticed recently that the Juneau Empire no longer gives the name of someone who is arrested for DUI/DWI. Does JPD no longer provide this detail to them or are they just choosing not to publish this information?
- Question- How long do the police store evidence before it's retuned back to the owner? A few years ago my roommate got in trouble with the law and the police came in our apartment at took my laptop as well as my other roommate's Xbox. The case is closed and the third roommate who got in trouble is now in jail. Is there any way that I can come get my laptop from the police department? There are a lot of important items like picture ect, that were only saved on that laptop. I didn't have anything to do with the case so I don't see why my stuff hasn't been return to me... I hope it didn't get thrown out after the case was closed...
- Question- I went to look online at the dispatch testing dates and the form on Juneau.org said Feb. 2nd, 2010. Obviously that date has passed so my question is when is the next testing for dispatching?
- Question- In the evening after like 10pm or later in the Mendenhall Mall parking lot there are about 5 or more cars that are usually sitting there with lights on and then cars pull up exchange items and then one car drives off. To me this looks like regular drug activity and I have called you guys multiple times but nothing is done.
- Question- There always seems to be a few days a month where the daily blotter doesn't get posted. Is there a Sgt. who just doesnt do it, or maybe a acting shift supervisor who doesn't want to do/approve it? Seems random, but frequent enough to have a cause. Does a daily post get neglected if there is a DUI arrest that doesnt want to go public before conviction?
- Question- Since the Juneau warrent list hasent been updated for 3 weeks on the JPD website, does that mean there are no active warrents right now?
- Question- Would getting a protective order on my neighbors who live in the duplex next to me do any good? My neighbor likes to throw parties, and the most recent one got out of hand. Their guests tried to break into my home and used full force to try and break down my door, they made horrible threats and scared my children severely. Unfortunately, JPD did nothing.
- Question- Is it illegal for a felon with remaining probationary time, and a former felon, who has done their time, and paid their debt to society, to hang out or even date?
- Question- Would it be possible for JPD to be more specific on WHERE this woman was assaulted? I don't need to know the exact location but it would be helpful to know if it were, for example, between Superbear and Cinema Drive, or between Cinema Drive and Stephen Richards, or between Stephen Richards and Mendenhaven, or... The bike path along the Mendenhall Loop Road is at least five miles long and people in Juneau are entitled to know where the dangers lurk.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions.
- Question- What is the appropriate course of action for someone hitting your car with their car door in a parking lot? I just had someone slam their door into my new car as I was sitting in a parking lot and then drove off leaving a nice ding in the side. Kind of frustrating watching the first new car I have ever purchased get beat up! Do I need to call JPD to insure there is a report of it in order to have their insurance cover damages?
- Question- I went to look online at the dispatch testing dates and the form on Juneau.org said Feb. 2nd, 2010. Obviously that date has passed so my question is when is the next testing for dispatching?
- Question- Yesterday there were multiple cars outside of my house one Wood Duck filled with multiple police officers. They were there for about an hour until my neighbor got home and they went into action. Can you tell me what went on? I have small children in my home and I am just wondering if I need to worry about their safety.
- Question- Are there any specific laws/ordinances in dealing with having large concerts or shows?
- Question- On sunday morning around 3am I was awakin by a storm of 6 JPD officers sworming into ACS parking lot in lemoncreek, within view of my apartment, there has been no report of anything happening in the daily bulletin. Then on Sunday during the afternoon and night I noticed a single cop pull in and circle through the acs parking lot then 20 minutes later it came back and sat back in the corner of the lot for 20 minutes, also there wasn't anything in the bulletin. I am curious for my safety what was going and how come there wasn't anything in the bulletin?
- Question- I posted a extra patrol request in the mornings and evenings... I just wanted to say that I have seen the extra patrol and it is very much appreciated!
Also, I enjoy the humor that you put into your answers!! You guys deal with so much and you deserve to have some fun in your job :)
- Question- In a recent post you said it is legal to ride 4 wheelers by the university. Could you tell me were this is so I dont ride in the wrong place thanks.
- Question- If I am carrying a concealed firearm and a police officer wants to speak to me for whatever reason, am I required by law to inform them that I am packing and do I have to surrender my firearm so that they can "secure" it? Seems to me that if the exchange happens on a crowded street, that might be a little awkward and I imagine a few police officers that would probably feel more than a little uncomfortable about that if it is the case. Also, how does that work under the whole "shall not be infringed" thingy?
- Question- Has Rorie Miller been taken into custody yet? If not, is a press release going to be issued advising the community?
- Question- Just a comment….. I really enjoy the responses and the humor that is added to them. Keep up the great job and thank you so much for this site so I can ask my questions.
- Question- I take the Juneau Police Dept seriously, as others around me do as well. I see a lot of negative feedback from Juneau Police officers and other staff. I think that the Ask a Dispatcher page is a great idea. I have noticed in the last few weeks that whomever answers the questions on this link is getting rather silly and unprofessional.
As a Juneau-Ite, it would seem that anything related to law, justice, or criminal advice, should be taken seriously and not have added humor. This is a data base where Juneau can ask a dispatcher questions that one would ask directly. I would be astounded if I called the non life threatening number at Juneau Police Dept and was given a Dear Abby response to a serious question.
- Question- i cant reach my husband. can someone go check on him?
- Question- A blue Landrover has been parked on the side of the street in front of 1950 and 1960 Glacier Ave. every evening for the past 4 days without being ticketed. There is a sign about 100 feet behind the car stating that it is in violation to park within a certain number of feet from the road. In April, I parked in this spot and no sooner than two hours later I was ticketed. Is it actually legal for vehicles to be parked in this spot?
- Question- On May 24th, a man was found deceased on Ross Way, apparently the victim of a hit-and-run. Has JPD made any progress in determining what exactly happened? Scary to think someone out there is responsible for a person's death and doesn't think enough of it to turn themselves in.
- Question- Are any of the following objects illegal: switchblades, butterfly knives, collapsible batons, pepper spray or brass knuckles?
- Question- In Juneau, what are the laws regarding self defense
- Question- For those of us not familiar with all the park names in Juneau, where exactly is Hidden Park located?
- Question- Hello. I am on a yahoo group comprised of 839 Juneau families. A topic of conversation has recently come up. MANY families have expressed concern about an APX (security alarm installer) employee (caucasian, sandy blonde hair, med height, light build, late 20's) who has been going door to door demonstrating behaviors such as entering homes uninvited, refusing to leave property, being verbally abusive, approaching owners' children after being told to leave, and spitting on a house. The list goes on. The company has been called and his actions apparently continue as reports are still rolling in. 2 families on our list have had car windows smashed within days after this guy was asked to leave. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Some parents report that the police were notified and nothing was done about the illegal entry. Isn't the uninvited entry illegal?
- Question- Yesterday I was driving up Cordova Street to a house I'm housesitting for and there was a couple standing in the road. I kept driving up the hill thinking that they would move and they didn't so I waited... and waited... and eventually honked my horn thinking that would be enough for them to move. Insead of them getting out of the way the guy tried to come attack my car, but his girlfriend was pushing him back until there was enough room for me to go around... my question is, the police could take 5 - 10 minutes to get there, what should a person do if that were to ever happen again (not that people attack cars everyday...)?
Also, I noticed that when I went down the hill later on the police were talking to the man. Did he get arrested?
- Question- If my partner hasn't come home and I want to know if he's been arrested, will the department tell me if I call? Should I call 586-0600?
- Question- Who is responsable for inspecting the docks in the juneau harbors,the city,state or coast guard? We went on a whale watching tour at fishermans bend and one poor gravity challenged person went through one of the slats.
- Question- I was wondering, what the laws are with carrying a firearm, with all these nice weather days we have been having, my wife and I have been going on a lot more hikes up the mountains and on the Juneau forest service trails out the road. We are thinking about bringing our 1 year old with us one of these days, but would feel a lot better knowing in case something goes wrong there is that extra protection. Anything we need to know about rules with carrying a gun on these trails?
- Question- I have an ex that's threatening to kill himself or me, I'm not sure what I can do and I didn't want to call 9-1-1 because he hasn't done anything yet. Any ideas?
- Question- This message was recently posted to a local yahoo group. Is it true?
"Just an FYI, but I have heard reports about a man hiding out in the trees at Hidden Park (on Mendenhall Blvd) and using a child to lure other kids into the trees for him.
This man may be armed as well.
I don't know how true this story is but I figured I would err on the side of caution in warning people about this in case it is true. Our kids like to play there but we will not be taking them until I hear that either this guy is caught or the story is not true."
- Question- What was all the police action at the super 8 motel Wednesday night 616? It almost appeared to be a standoff but I don't see a report of it anywhere.
- Question- My kids just found a bicycle labeled "Free Bike" (a hand written note was attached) leaning near the street light outside of our home. Before we take it in I'd like to know if there is a way to find out if it is stolen? It's a burgandy/Red Raleigh M-30 Mountain/Trail Serial # R(redacted).
- Question- What are the laws about peeping toms? Especially when you catch them "red handed' face to face through your bedroom window?
- Question- Why don't I ever see JPD down at DIPAC enforcing the no snagging from the dock? Its a city park isn't it? This is a huge problem, and a safety issue and I never see Fish and Game down there. It makes it so its a place I don't want to take my kids!!
- Question- Is the address, 5000 Glacier Highway, Juneau, AK 99801-7235 a single family swelling or is it an apartment building. If it is an apartment complex, what is the name and a telephone number.
- Question- What is the criteria for appearing on the warrent list posted on the JPD website? Many people in the police blotter, including Miller, were never on this warrent list. It would be nice if the public could view a list of ALL persons with an active warrent.
- Question- hello. I called Sunday afternoon to report a gentleman who was laying on a wooden railing across from the subport lot. I did not think he was breathing and I was wondering if you can tell me the outcome. Thanks.
- Question- How often do jobs open up for dispatchers? Where would one apply?
- Question- I've seen nothing in the local news about the "high speed chase" on Riverside Drive on Friday evening. Just curious what was going on...and whether the speeding dark-colored SUV was ever stopped. It was very startling to observe, as there were many walkers, joggers, bicyclists, and children in the area (Duck Pond) when I observed the chase in progress...the SUV even passed 2 cars in the "no passing" zone on a curve!
- Question- Just wanted too say I was so glad to see JPD "out the road" this evening keeping everyone safe that was out camping!! Good job! I know it's a long way out but it really does help stop drunk drivers and underage drinking or people being idiots with fire arms out there which is a huge concern out there.
Will there ever be DUI check points maybe set up on weekend nights out there? I think that would really help some weekends. Thank you.
- Question- If you believe someone is following you but you don't know who they are what information should you right down before calling in the report and what can JPD do if you believe someone is following you.
- Question- Great presentation at the IACP conference. Juneau should be proud.
- Question- Love the new photo headers!
- Question- How do I get to the new crime reports section of your website that was in the paper
- Question- Today's news article on the Google map for Crime reports.com says there is a link on the jpd web page, but I don't see it. Where should I look?
- Question- In OCT of 05 I was instructed to complete an alchohol class as part of my requirement for my punishment for my possesion of alcohol. I need to get a copy of that "completion" document for my boss. Who do I contact to get that "completion" certificate from the class?
- Question- Why is there no listing for Mr. Walkenford on the JPD or AST Missing Persons pages? Wouldn't that be a good way to circulate his picture for those who do not subscribe to the local newspaper?
- Question- The warrent list and bulletin archieve for last weekend do not work on the website. Is it possible to view these even though the links on the website do not work?
- Question- I live down the street from Scott Walkenford and my son and I are very concerned for him. Have any reports come in that he's been found?
- Question- Todays 5/15 daily bulletin doesnt work please repost it.
- Question- Can you tell me if anyone has reported losing a small rubber raft in the last two weeks? Thank you...
- Question- After reading the panhandling Q&A I was very surprised to see that what goes on down on Wiloughby on a daily basis is actually legal. These people approach me on a daily basis, sometimes coming around the back of my car while I'm getting items out for work. How am I supposed to distinguish the difference between that and a mugger? So my question is, since we can't get rid of the inebriates for panhandling, how about loitering? How about public intoxication? This is getting to be a huge public menace and is anything being done about it?
- Question- Is there a reward for turning somebody in that's listed on the jpd
- Question- Does the police department serve papers to parties in a dissolution of marriage case?
- Question- Do dispatchers have generic questions ?
- Question- Why hasn't the weekly warrant list been updated lately?
- Question- What are the hours for 1 hour parking downtown?
- Question- Is panhandling illegal in Juneau? My rotaract club wants to do "Panhandling for Polio" (an Rotary international project)this summer.
- Question- There is a stripped car sitting in the parking lot of Skater's Cabin. Does DOT or JPD take care of this?
- Question- Just wintnessed a beige toyota pickup truck jam into other vehicles and a dumspte behind the Baranof hotel. No injured, female drive is very upset on site.
- Question- Is it possible to get a mug shot of someone recently jailed. For sentimental reasons???
- Question- What does the law say for when a person trys to protect life or property when threatened? Can the person use physical force? Is there a difference on how you can defend yourself if it occurs on your property vs other property? Could a person legally use lethal force, like a firearm, in defense if the situation is serious? This came up during a debate with a friend on the legal limits of self defense and wheter or not you can legally use a firearm in defense-example if you find a burglar in your home vs a burglar/bad person outside the residence-with both causes you honestly feel your life and/or property is in danger. Is it also legal to use lethal force if being attacked or mugged on the street or other public area?
- Question- There is a van parked in road 4100 block mendfnhall blvd
- Question- What are the penalties for furnishing alcohol to a minor over 18 but under 21? If the minor is married to the person furnishing the alcohol, is it legal?
- Question- How do I find out if a bicycle is stolen? Kid next door came home late at night carrying a green Schwinn Stingray.
- Question- What are the rules in making a citizens arrest? I know this is a gray area with many opinions about it. Are there specific procedures etc.? Can someone restrain another while waiting for authorities?
- Question- My drivers license expires this weekend on my 21st birthday and since I'm not going to renew it until Monday can I still use my expired license to purchase alcohol or would I need to use another form of identification?
- Question- Do patrol officers have to read someone his or her Miranda rights when a person is arrested?
- Question- What is the average call processing time for calls received for emergency assistance?
- Question- What are the laws regarding panhandling in Juneau? Almost every time I walk downtown I am bombarded by at least three requests for spare change. This has become increasingly aggressive and the behavior of some individuals is bordering on assault. For example I will often reply with, "nope" This has been met with a variety of expletives and derogatory comments. Does this cursing fall under the First Amendment, or can I file a formal complaint? Is the city still debating addressing this issue? I'm getting frustrated even visiting downtown anymore, unfortunately my job is located there. Thanks
- Question- About the question on the auction. Can someone's name be put on a list to have the option of buying unclaimed vehicles at auction price?
- Question- Do you have to testify in court if you file charges against someone? I hope not, the incident was tramatic enough!
- Question- I recently went to the auction this past Saturday and was wondering why the cars that were bid on but not picked up on time aren't carried over to the next auction. There was a car that I wanted lost the bid and it wasnt picked up, so it has to be destroyed. So much for recycling.
- Question- What is the maximum legal length for a fixed blade knife to be carried in public?
- Question- I need the phone number for Alaska State police
- Question- Is there an ordinance or law specifying a time that minors accompanied by parent, guardian or spouse over 21 must be out of bars or private licensed clubs?
- Question- Is the law no smoking within 10 feet of an entrance? Are there any public buildings where the 10 foot law does not apply?
- Question- Who is your tallest Officer on the force. Is it Hatch or Campbell?
- Question- Are there any penalties for making false reports or tips? What if it's done anonymously? And if a false report is made against an individual, what action can be taken?
- Question- Are you still hiring for dispatchers?
- Question- I don't see the Citizen Police Academy on your website.
- Question- Has the autopsy been finalized in the Whicker case? I've heard that it was self inflicted but an "official" announcement would be nice so there is no more guessing on what may of happened.
- Question- Is it legal to bring several cartons of cigarettes to Juneau which were purchased legally in another state? All taxes were paid upon purchase. Is there a limit on the number of cartons one may bring here? Would the receiver need to pay local taxes? If so, to whom?
- Question- Is it legal for someone to search your vehicle if it is on their property?
- Question- What is the ordinance for no smoking within 10 feet of a doorway? Are any businesses exempt from the 10 ft rule? There is a business in downtown whose owners and employees along with patrons smoke right outside the door. Who does one make a complaint to since the owners are in violation and don't care?
- Question- Do you like your job?
- Question- What is the law about marijuana? Am I allowed to have any in the privacy of my home? Can I have any plants? Can it be legally sold or bought for medical uses in Alaska? Medical marijuana is in the media consistently, but I am unsure what the laws are here. Is there a way for a recreational user who may only smoke once or twice a month to do so legally? Thanks!
- Question- I have a ticket that I need to pay online. Any help?
- Question- What exactly is the age of consent in the State of Alaska? I keep hearing 16 and 18 and am just wondering which one is true? Also if I meet a girl inside a bar, take her home and we have relations, and I then discover that she is not of age, am I cool with the law because I met her in a place where everyone was supposed to be 21?
- Question- I am thinking about moving to Juneau and am wondering about Alaska State Laws concerning marraiges, I married my 16 year old boyfriend here in Massachusetts and am wondering if the state of alaska will recognize our same sex marraige? Also, will I run afoul with the law for providing my spouse with alcohol in the privacy of our own home?
- Question- Can I donate a car for the upcoming outcry auction?
- Question- Where can I donate a car to charity in Juneau?
- Question- Do patrol officers have to inform someone that what they say is being recorded?
- Question- Is it legal to use a propane fired crab cooker or a BBQ on an apartment building outside deck?
I'm pretty sure it's not.
Almost every apartment where I live has one.
My neighbors above me, use their crab cooker, then pour the boiling water on their deck, as if it is a strainer. It's below freezing and my porch is covered in ice and water is dripping as I type this right now.
This has been happening for 3 years. I've told my Landlord. I've asked my neighbors not to do that.
Please tell me what to do from a legal standpoint...before I take matters into my own hands
- Question- My neighbor has a wood burning stove to heat their trailer. Even when we get burn ban (Air Emergency) days, they continue to burn their stove, whether because they don't know about the ban, or because they don't care, I don't know. Normally I wouldn't mind, however when the wind isn't blowing and the smoke just hangs over the neighborhood, my girlfriend ends up getting serious asthma attacks.
Is there a number that you can call or someone you can contact (preferably anonymously since they are a neighbor I have to see every day) when they are clearly ignoring the burn ban?
- Question- Why was the crime line link removed?
- Question- When contacting your patrol officers, do you use ten codes to cut down on radio traffic time? If so, do you have a list of the ten codes that can be obtained by the general public?
- Question- is it cold up there?
- Question- I need to pay my parking ticket, can I do that online?
- Question- What rights, if any, do citizens have about having their photos taken? What action can be taken if someone is photographing an individual who does not want to be photographed or video taped, especially in public areas like stores, gyms or schools?
- Question- A few days ago, I witnessed a scuffle between a security guard and a pair of young males. Aside of helplessly watching the officer get beat, what does the law allow us to do?
- Question- Since Juneau is landlocked with no roads out, is it possible to get Grand Theft Auto charges?
- Question- What type of events have to happen in order for someone to get a restraining order against an individual? And is this permanent or just a 2 or 5 year period that it is effective for?
- Question- Every day I check out the warrants listed on your website. Today there are four. But on the daily bulletin there may be several listed as being arrested for outstanding warrants not listed. Why?
- Question- I have a Winchester 30-30 rifle that I would like to sell. Are there any restrictions such as licensing or registration that need to be followed?
- Question- Did anyone turn in a black AT&T Samsung phone (lost Sept 25 between 7:39 am and 4:00 pm, between the Federal Building and JDHS)?
- Question- No question, but I appreciate the answers you've provided to the various queries!
You are very welcome, kind sir or ma’am. Please allow me to use this submission for a planted JPD dispatch question.
If I am running late or don’t want to burn gas with a long ‘warm up’ for my car, can I drive with only a small area of my windshield clear of frost?
- Question- How many sworn positions does your deparment have?
- Question- If I have a rental and there is an individual that visits the rental but has been verbally notified by the property owner that they are not to be on the property and does not follow the request of the property owner. What is the next step for the property owner?
- Question- We have what looks like a drug-type mushroom growing in the back yard. I don't want my kids or dog to get it. How do I safely remove it and should I notify someone about it? (I guess I just did)
- Question- Where can a person get fingerprints taken for a CCP?
- Question- Is there anywhere in Juneau I can get some disposable breathalyzers? Does JPD sell them to the public? I need them by Friday! Thanks.