Ask a Dispatcher
Click the question to view the response.
- Question- I was recently a passenger in a vehicle pulled over because the tail pipe was almost dragging. While the driver was asked to provide their license, registration and proof of insurance, I (as a passenger) was also asked to provide my ID. In a routine traffic stop, are passengers required to show identification and do I have the right to refuse the request?
- Question- I was on my lunch break the other day parked on a pullout down Thane Road, and a community service officer pulled over to check and see if I was sleeping in my car. I wasn't, just reading a book on my phone, and there was no problem or ticket or anything.
I can appreciate how sleeping might be seen as being passed out or something, but if I were to take a 45 minute nap in my car on my lunch break, am I breaking any laws or ordinances?
- Question- On August 18th at approximately 2 PM while walking my dog (on leash) I witnessed an adult with a child riding a 4 wheeler at a high rate of speed on Skater's Cabin road going toward the West Glacier trail parking lot. This 4 wheeler came off of Montana Creek road. This 4 wheeler passed the JPD Community Service Officer (driving in the opposite direction) just before the second turn to Arctic Circle. I continued walking and saw this 4 wheeler parked at the cabin parking lot (on the grass not in a prescribe space). The CSO returned to the area - but did not stop. Why not? I thought it was illegal to operate a 4 wheeler on the road. This adult is displaying poor parenting as well.
- Question- I live on Tongass Blvd and rarely see the 20MPH speed limit obeyed. As a matter of fact some drivers speed blatantly (some while texting) without regard for kids, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Can anything be done to get the message across to speeders? I fear for children who will soon be walking along Tongass on their way to the elementary school. This problem is especially apparent and pronounced during the evening "rush hour" between 5-6pm. Perhaps a speed "trailer" to advise drivers about their speed and the posted speed limit or an officer giving out tickets? Please help.
- Question- If I have a parking ticket and lost the paperwork is there a way for me to call someone and find out how much I owe and how to pay? I don't remember the court date and would really like to just pay the ticket...
- Question- someone stole the tags off my car. what should I do?
- Question- Are color changing headlights illegal?
- Question- It's that time of year again for people speeding in neighborhoods. I live on Northland Street and constantly see vehicles speeding. I fear for that any of the children that live and play on that street will get hit. Is there anything that can be done?
- Question- Query about the upcoming auction:If their are so many cars why doesn't jpd have an online auction.It would save a lot of money by not having to tow the cars from impound to the lot.Some site like public surplus comes to mind,or bidadoo.
- Question- when will the list for the auto auction be updated?
- Question- Are there any dates for the next car auction?
- Question- What is the maximum height of a vehicle or trailer that cab used without a permit
- Question- I was recently pulled over by a trooper for not having a front license plate on my truck. I went to an auto shop and found a license plate cover that is smoked out so visibility of the plate numbers is not great. Can I still get pulled over if the officer cannot make out the numbers on the plate?
- Question- Isn't it illegal for a business to remove (no parking fire zone) signs and replace them with parking for another business.Handicap parking is bad enough at walmart without having to dodge taxi's, shuttles.
- Question- I have seen many accidents due to cars not having working turn signals. Also noticed many cars with no working head lights. Was wondering why JPD is not ticketing these folks? Have watched JPD sit right behind or pass vehicles with broken (not working) lights.. Have the laws changed?
- Question- What can be done about excessive speeding in a residential neighborhood? The speed limit is 20 mph and posted, and the people are running stop signs. Several neighbors have asked them to slow down, and it isn't seeming to get us anywhere.
- Question- Hi
Yesterday 4-27-2015 about noon a car ran off road in Lemon Creek
and damaged our fence. When I went back to see what was going on
the officer would only say it was a drunk driver and went to his
vehicle. No officer has contacted us as to the incident or what
we can do to get our fence fixed. What is our next step to get
our fence fixed.
- Question- Does the police department ever cite cyclists that ride on the wrong side of the street in the wrong direction or don't follow traffic rules? I know that there is a pro biking sentiment in this city but I have encountered numerous people on cycles that don't signal, don't stop at stop signs etc. Is there somewhere that says what they have to do to be on the streets? and is it enforced?
- Question- Can school buses use private driveways to turn around and block people that are living in the house?
- Question- Hi,
I'm looking for some historical JPD DUI statistics and the most recent report I can find in for 2011. What are the numbers for 2012 - 2014?
- Question- Can you post Stephen Richards for extra patrol? I was walking with my toddler to Rotary Park the other day and at least a dozen cars raced down the street. Most of them were teenagers so maybe start after school gets out?
- Question- When is the next car auction?
- Question- I live near JDHS and the curbs on either side of my driveway are painted yellow (although mostly worn off). Cars constantly are parked in the yellow and make it difficult and dangerous to turn in/out onto the road since the sight distance is limited. Is there something I can do?
- Question- Everyone knows JPD pulls people over for driving over the speed limit. What about the people who are going significantly below the speed limit (10+ miles below)? Is JPD going to start pulling over those drivers? They cause a traffic hazard and can easily cause an accident by driving so much slower than the flow of traffic.
- Question- Would it possible to have an officer check the Tongass Blvd area for speeders going over 20mph between from 5-6 pm on weeknights? A lot of drivers use Tongass as a shortcut from Nancy St to Short Ct when Mendenhall Loop road gets backed up after work. It's especially bad between Gail Ave and the elementary school at Tongass and Trinity.
- Question- Would this be something you could be pulled over for? There have been times where I have parked at the Hangar on the Wharf parking lot, and it would have been easier to drive my SUV forward across the sidewalk into the street than it would be to back out in the crowded slick wooden plank lot where people park at all angles. I haven't done so because it seems like the kind of thing you could be pulled over for, but if there are no pedestrians, is it legal to drive over the sidewalk to access the street? There are no concrete parking stoppers or anything barring access.
- Question- When is the next impound auction??
- Question- I live on Lupine lane a cup-de-sac I have three children of my own and between the 6 houses there are over 15 children total. My neighbor had a dance studio and we get over 20 vehicles in and out flying because they're running late to drop off there kids to dance class. One day they are going to run one of our children over what can we do? For three years we have verbally asked now it's time for some action please help
- Question- When can I find out if my car was impounded?
- Question- Are mud flaps required on vehicles by law? Saw a new episode of Alaska Troopers where the Traoper stopped a car for lack of mud flaps.
- Question- Q. I am curious ---
This has nothing to do with any law that has been broken. I was just curious. I have asked many people their interpretation of the law but can't seem to find a way to decisively answer the question. After all this is my argument :) -
If one is intoxicated and falls asleep in their car with the keys in their pocket even though the car is not started it is against the law and a DUI will be. So, if the keys are not in the car which makes it none mobile but you have a way to start it to stay warm yet can't drive it - then why would it be against the law?
This is just a question I have argued with many friends. I don't think it would be against the law since the keys are not in the car.
PS - I don't ever drive while intoxicated - I always take a cab.
Also - thanks for your response and I am curious if you can give a definitive response :)
If one goes to the bar during the winter and becomes intoxicated then goes to their car at bar close takes their keys and locks them in the trunk or under the hood or whatever but keeps the auto-start key; would it be legal for them to then sit in their vehicle auto start their vehicle to keep it warm while they sleep the night away. Of course, starting the car periodically to keep it warm inside so not to freeze to death. The keys to make the vehicle mobile are locked outside of the vehicle so there is no way for the car to actually move.
- Question- I am curious ---
If one goes to the bar during the winter and becomes intoxicated then goes to their car at bar close takes their keys and locks them in the trunk or under the hood or whatever but keeps the auto-start key; would it be legal for them to then sit in their vehicle auto start their vehicle to keep it warm while they sleep the night away. Of course starting the car periodically to keep it warm inside so not to freeze to death. The keys to make the vehicle mobile are locked outside of the vehicle so there is no way for the car to actually move.
- Question- Just wondering whatever happened with the person who was driving the 1996 White suburban,that hit a light pole on Egan after leaving Riverside Drive? Was the driver located?
- Question- A friend's vehicle was backed into and required extensive repairs but she didn't file a report with JPD. Aren't all vehicle accidents required by law to be reported to JPD?
- Question- There are multiple RVs and vehicles parked on the corner of Almalga street off of Valley, making it basically one lane driving. With the snow and ice makes it harder to manuever around. Do I have to file a formal complaint for this to be taken care of?
- Question- Can something be done with the people who are driving outbound in the evening with their headlights off? I don't want to be the one who changes lanes into one of these idiots with their lights off.
- Question- I live on riverside dr. There is no street parking on riverside although there has been cars parked on the street at ****** riverside. Can you please ask an officer to take action?
- Question- Can I report a dangerous driver on the road?
- Question- there is a person living in an Airstream trailer on the corner of Davis Patty and lund Street. I'm pretty sure this is against city code and would like this enforced. This person also has so many vehicles in their yard and driveway that they cannot park the three vehicles on in their driveway. They are blocking the stop sign on the corner as well. Could you have somebody looking into this issue. Thank you for this forum?
- Question- is there a city ordinance against parking against the flow of traffic. There is a situation on the corner of Lund Street and Davis where three or four vehicles park against the flow of traffic online creating a dangerous situation. This is a major road and bus route in the morning. Could you have someone look into this and notify and or site the vehicles if this is against the law
- Question- What can JPD do about coal rolling (modifying diesel trucks to allow to purposefully spew clouds of black smoke)? I observed a red crew-cab truck (have license number) release a huge cloud of smoke while passing a bicyclist on Brotherhood Bridge. Coal rolling is dangerous and harmful to bikers and walkers subjected to the smoke and can obscure vision for drivers. Do we need a local law to allow enforcement?
- Question- My new vehicle includes an remote start feature that lets me start and defrost my locked car while it sits in my driveway or at my worksite parking lot. It includes an automatic shutoff feature after 15 minutes, and it still will not let the car be driven without the presence of the key fob. I read somewhere that leaving a running vehicle unattended is a violation of a CBJ ordinance. Am I in violation for using my remote start when my vehicle is not in immediate view? And if so, is this something that CBJ officers enforce?
- Question- The house at 124 Gold Street has posted signs not to park in front of the driveway. While the sidewalk is flush with the street as if for a driveway - there IS no driveway, only the face of the house. Is it legal to park there and is it legal for the homeowner to post the no parking signs?
- Question- Just wanted to request patrols for Tongass Blvd again. Several vehicles are seen going well over 20mph at various times of the day. Mostly between 5-6pm - Thank you,
- Question- Is it a law to wear the shoulder strap of your seatbelt in a car?
- Question- I just witnessed a mail truck unable to access a mailbox because of a parked car. Should I inform someone?
- Question- I have a question about Law Enforcement Officer jurisdiction in town.
I saw a Forest Service officer had pulled over a red SUV on Back Loop Sunday afternoon. Is a city or state road within a Forest Service Officers jurisdiction? Can they make traffic stops? How about other law enforcement agencies like NOAA officers or Brown Shirt State Troopers? Just curious, not complaining about LOE keeping the roads safe.
- Question- Can you park a 40 foot RV on a residential street in the valley and,if so, how long?
- Question- Does JPD issue tickets to vehicles parked on the DIPAC fishing float if the vehicle does not have a handcapped tag? The sign at the top of the ramp says Handicapped Vehicle Access Only.
- Question- Respectfully request that Patrol check Tongass Blvd(between Gail Ave and Jennifer Dr.) for persons speeding between 5-6pm on weeknights and during morning and afternoon school hours. Thank you,
- Question- Can JPD please do something about the local taxi companies stopping on the shoulder to view eagles, near Channel Drive? I almost hit them when I was getting ready to turn off onto Channel Drive and then they STOPPED on the shoulder, forcing me to veer back into the right lane again. This is very unsafe and they should be getting tickets for this.
- Question- Has any decision been made on the upcoming auction.is it going to be online,or are we going to have to wait in the rain.
- Question- Hi there! Thanks for having this non-emergency way to contact you! If JPD officers are wandering around downtown, any chance they can drive up Rheinhardt Street by the cemetery? Someone has parked a big red Dodge Ram truck in the street (no parking zone), and I'm concerned that it will cause an accident if someone comes around the curve fast. Thanks!
- Question- If the DMV distinguishes motor scooters by CC then, what about electric? CC being for gas engines.. This is stemming from another question I just asked about a motor assisted bicycle.. the motor is powered by solar electricity. I would guess it would be treated the same.
- Question- At what age can I turn the car seat from rear facing to forward facing? My convertible car seat says up to 22 lbs and also 40 lbs. Thank you for any information!
- Question- I know the left lane on Egan is primarily for passing, however with lots of traffic on the road its often driven in. Is it the case that there's a different speed limit in the left lane when driving? I was under the impression that the speed limit is 55mph in both lanes, and yet I know people who've been pulled over for not speeding (going over 55) in the "fast" lane.
- Question- Regarding aftermarket exhaust on vehicles, Alaska law states that the exhaust can not be modified to be louder than the vehicle came from the factory. But how is that determined in a practical application (i.e. road stop). If I buy a used car, how can I be sure it hasn't been modified? A Harley Davidson or a car like a Subaru WRX has much louder exhaust than a Toyota Camry, for instance. If I want to fix up the engine and buy an aftermarket exhaust that "are designated for street use retain all factory emissions equipment and conform to the California Vehicle Code 95-decibel exhaust noise level limit." (from the manufacturer info), am I going to get a ticket? I have found the following information:
2006 Softail Standard 1,400 cc, original from the factory:
97 decibels at idle
102 decibels at cruising speed
111 decibels revved
so the exhaust I would be getting would be more quiet than a factory Harley at idle.
- Question- I live in a duplex and the neighbors keep parking their veihicles to where they block the side walks and leave 12 their vehcle in the street. Is this legal?
- Question- The past couple days there has been a blue motorcycle and a small white hatchback car that have been operating at extremely high speeds, disregarding stop signs, and general reckless behavior on mountainside drive, Craig street, and glacier highway. I respectfully request that patrol be advised and that they frequent the area as operations permit. Thanks for the great work you all do!
- Question- JPD, pleaseÖ 8:20 pm, sunny day, June 26, 2014. We live on Irwin Street, downtown. There were again two bikers (sports bike and a Harley or something) going up the street past cemetery just now, doing at least 50mph in a 20mph zone. They do this every sunny day. They also come down the street towards 12th Street after 5pm and come back in the evening, always hella'booking down the Irwin Street where many high schoolers and younger kids walk. It is only a matter of time until they hit a kid or an egressing vehicle from one of the parking lots on Irwin. Can you please station an on-foot officer with a radar on a sunny evening 4:30pm - 9pm on Irwin St. downtown, by the cemetery - once in a few sunny days' streaks? And another officer with a patrol car somewhere on one of the parking lots near the cemetery so they can pull the (bad, bad people on bikes) over and give them a massive ticket or a bundle? Thank you very much! Residents of Irwin Street, Downtown Juneau.
- Question- Where do I report an illegally parked car
- Question- In a RV type camper (live in type) can a person ride in it while on the road
- Question- If a red flashing light is the same as a stop sign are the the duel lights in the valley a stop sign when they are flashing or do Ineed to wait until they stop flashing
- Question- Where can I pick up my impounded vehicle ?
- Question- I work on Shaune Drive and there is not one posted speed sign. Therefore, everyone (especially the construction workers and semi's) make their own speed limit, 30mph +. How do we get speed bumps and a posted speed limit sign put in place? This has been a major problem for years and it's only a matter of time before there's an accident!
- Question- is it illegal to have a vanity front license plate? I see a lot of Juneau residents have them, but do I have to have both front and rear plates? thank you in advance.
- Question- is there an impound sale/auction coming?
- Question- My son sold a car to another young man here in Juneau. He filled out a bill of sale accepting a down payment and 2 subsequent payments. The bill of sale listed all 3 payment amounts and payment dates, it also clearly stated that upon the last payment the title would be delivered to the buyer or the vehicle would be repossessed if the last payment was not made. Both parties "my son, the buyer and a witness" agreed to and signed the bill of sale. The last payment was not made and it was due over 30 days ago. When the buyer was contacted by my son he asked if he could make another partial payment and get the title because he sold the vehicle to someone else who is threatening him if he doesn't provide the title. My question is what can my son do to resolve this issue and what can JPD do to help?
- Question- How much is would the ticket be is somebody was driving with studed tires after the due date to take them off
- Question- I am curious about parking regulations on cul de sac's here in Juneau. It is my understanding that on a typical street, the parking in front of a person's house (assuming there is no 'no parking' sign) is for the residents of that house, unless otherwise discussed between neighbors. What about on a cul de sac? I live in a cul de sac where my driveway is inaccessible in the winter due to it's decline from the street level, but even in the summer, only one car will park there and the other in front of the house on the street. It is very frustrating when 'visitors' of other neighbors occupy the space in front of my home. I don't want to start a debate with my neighbors before I have all the facts.
- Question- If the is no construction going on with Egan Drive, say at 9 pm to 7 am is it still a double fine?
- Question- How do I request an officer to slow traffic traveling north through Auke Bay? It would be a nice little money maker for the city to bust some of these big rig trucks blowing through the 35MPH zone.
- Question- Can you please confirm the 2014 studded tire removal date for 2014? I've been told April 15 & May 1.
- Question- Does JPD recognize digital proof of insurance; smart phone apps?
- Question- Is April 26th the set date for the police auction?
- Question- When will the studded tire season be extended this year?
- Question- I saw an oncoming large vehicle on my way to work this morning that was displaying flaching blue and yellow lights. I thought it was an emergency vehicle so I pulled off to the shoulder. The passing vehicle turned out to be a water truck. Was the truck displaying incorrect flashing lights, or are red flaching lights the only ones that we have to pull over for?
- Question- Hello, officer. I got a parking ticket but am in such serious financial straits that I can't really handle the fine and will undoubtedly be late on it. I've been doing some searching and can't seem to determine how much time I have before what penalties I potentially face come into effect, other than the late fee and waiving the right to challenge it (what's printed on the citation). I understand that it must be paid and will do so as soon as I am able, but I need all the information so I can budget accordingly and get it done as soon as possible while keeping up with my other bills and not, you know, risking jail. I suppose my question is, what levels of penalty does a late parking ticket payment escalate to and when after the ticket?
- Question- Are chains legally allowed to be used while driving in Juneau? Is there a season where they are allowed/prohibited?
- Question- I heard care seat laws recently changed, is so, what are the new requirements?
- Question- Is it normal procedure for a police vehicle heading to an emergency with lights flashing,and no sirens to be driving down Loop Road on what I and others belive to be the emergency lane?
this happened yesterday around 5PM during rush hour traffic, woulndn't it have been more practical to let the drivers move to the right as is the law? I'm sure this created a lot of confusion for the rush hour commuters.
- Question- Are there any laws related to the brightness of headlights on vehicles? It seems that more and more vehicles have lights which seem far more intense than even the bright setting on a regular car. It is distracting and dangerous - particularly when rain, snow and fog add to their intense glare. Thank you for any information you can provide.
- Question- When is the next police auction?
- Question- i was pulled over for a taillight issue and field sobriety tested and breath test result below .08 and released without a citation.can i still be charged?
- Question- Who can I talk to about having snow that is partially blocking one stop at a four way stop to be removed? Someone has been plowing snow from a driveway into one lane of our four way stop at Threadneedle St and Trafalgar Ave. I personally think it poses a risk to the traffic in this area because this snow has been piling up and makes it extremely difficult to see traffic coming from Kanat'a Deyi St(which much of the traffic from this street does NOT stop at the stop sign). I drive a car that is close to the ground and have a lot of difficulty seeing around this snow which I don't think should even be this far into the street to begin with. This has happened last year and the snow was never removed.
Any help or suggestions you could give me would be so greatly appreciated. Maybe you can do the "No more snow" dance for me!
- Question- My sons car was stolen on Tuesday night and there is nothing about it in the news telling the public or nothing in your news page. No officer came out to do a police report. How come?
- Question- FYI: The owner of that Chevy Van does NOT move it. It hasn't been moved in MONTHS. I wouldn't waste my time reporting it if it moved at all.
- Question- I have to ask. At these new flashing red crossing areas (Walmart/Floyd) I see people stop when the lights are flashing however, I see them proceed after the folks have passed the front of their vehicle. I was under the impression that the flashing red means "Stop" until it stops flashing...
- Question- I know laws regarding the use of police vehicles vs civilian vehicles vary from state to state. What are the laws regarding police vehicles driving above the speed limit, doing U-turns, parking, and any other applicable law that would normally apply to a civilian, if the police car does not have their emergency lights on?
- Question- I don't know if this works as a lost and found, but my son lost a Scion car key on an Oregon Ducks lanyard, and we're hoping to find it. It would have been lost somewhere between the downtown high school and Julep street in the valley.
- Question- This is a reply to my question that I asked a couple of months ago. My neighbors who park on the road. The answer I received was to contact JPD when this is happening. The problem is that they park there from 4-5 pm until 9am. This causes a problem for school buses and the children at the bus stop. The street we live on, is a narrow street, so with a big vehicle parked on the side makes it even more narrow, making it barely a one lane street,BARELY. So My follow up question is: They park there during the late afternoon, night time and into the morning. how can we get the message to the neighbors that they are causing a hazard? Their vehicles have been tagged by the city, now they just rotate which vehicles get left on the street on a daily/nightly basis(They own 9 vehicles). I have asked them politely (non-confrontational) and they get angry, So of course I have backed off in the hope that JPD or city can help me.
Thank You. Sincerely, The frustrated neighbor :-)
- Question- I got pulled over for dwi in febuary. got arrested again for suspended license. got it reinserted oct 30, then it says it s suspended again.
- Question- I'm new to Juneau and had a friend tell me that 40 mph is the minimum speed on Egan Drive. Is that true? I haven't seen any signs saying that's the minimum speed, and I'm concerned about the winter driving conditions that I'm afraid we're going to have soon.
- Question- Last weekend I had to call 911 because a lady was driving extremely erratically and almost crashed several times as she drove down Egan, across the bridge and into Douglas.
When she finally was able to be stopped, she clearly seemed to be intoxicated... yet, even though the police did come; I do not see an arrest record.
How do I find out if that person/automobile is a worry to myself, my family, or my community if I cannot locate an arrest record?
- Question- In a newspaper article yesterday (11/4) about the parking meters, a line read, "The system would provide up to two hours of free parking while preventing drivers from exploiting the system by simply moving to a new spot." This came as a complete surprise to me - it's not illegal to move to a new parking spot, adhering to the time limit for each spot, is it??
- Question- Hello,
Juneau/Lynn Canal CHARR sponsored Free cab rides home last night. We were wondering if there was any DUI on Oct 31st and what time did they happen?
- Question- I loand a friend my car. I have the tital. I have asked for my car back and they refuse to give it to me and now clame they fixed it so I owe them money to get it back. Do I need a rit from the cort to go pick up my own personal car. Or how do I retrieve my personal property that at this point is stolen? They no l9nger have my permision to use my car.
- Question- Is there a way to see if there have been any Commercial Vans pulled over in the last week for a bust tail light?
- Question- Is there a time limit for filing a police report. A teenager backed into me in a parking lot and did not want to go through insurance so I accommodated them. The estimates I got are higher than they expected and now want to go through insurance. This happened in August. Can I still file a police report for insurance purposes? The damage was less than $2000.
- Question- Is there any update on the person who was struck by a truck last week at Mendenhall Loop and Back Loop?
- Question- What % of "added" tinting to vehicles is legal? I've heard that any additional tinting to front windows was illegal. Thanks.
- Question- I'm not sure you can answer this, but I have always wondered - if someone knows a person is driving without a license or on a suspended license (like a spouse, girlfriend, parent), and the person without a license gets in an accident and harms someone, why isn't the person who knew but didn't report the violation legally responsible too? It always deeply disturbs me that repeat offenders hurt or kill someone, and others MUST have know they were driving illegally, but didn't do anything to stop it.
- Question- What is the law about seatbelts in vintage vehicles? The car currently has no seatbelts. Lap belts are doable, but I'm not sure it's even possible to mount shoulder belts correctly in this car. Are they required or are lap belts alone OK?
- Question- I have a neighbor that parks their vehicles on the side of the road, in front of their house. This makes our already narrow street a one lane street. Their vehicles have been tagged but all they do is just rotate which vehicle is parked on the street. These neighbors have 9 vehicles in their driveway most of the time. My questions are: Is there an ordinance that states how many vehicles are allowed at one home? and what can be done about the parking in the street?
- Question- Selling a vehicle with personalized plates, do I need ne leave the plates on the vehicle or can I take my plates and sell the vehicle without plates?
- Question- Are mini pocket bikes legal to operate in the bike lanes?
- Question- How does an officer decide whose car is going to be impounded? It seems that some (but not everyone) who is caught driving without a license gets his/her vehicle impounded. Why do some of those drivers get to leave with their vehicle and some get theirs impounded?
- Question- i have a question refering to light colors on motor vehicles in specific lights that mount onto motorcycle tires via the stem that will illuminate the motorcycle from the side. whether it be red green white yellow blue. called and talked with officer Dallas. he did not know and stated that i use common sense
- Question- Can you please inform Juneau how to use the intersection at Walmart? Drivers do not have to wait until the blinking red light stops before they continue to drive through, correct? As long as there is no one in the crossing, of course.
- Question- I heard that not a single parking meter in the downtown area is working. Is this true and am I wasting my $ in those machines and worrying about making it back to my car within 1 or 2 hours?
- Question- What exactly are the rules/regulations and laws regarding use of dirt bikes, mini bikes, atvs and the like on public roads?
- Question- Is there a city ordinance against ďcruisingĒ particularly making laps downtown sometimes in fancy cars or motorcycles? What about excessive engine revving and or slowly driving (really slow) all the way down the street obstructing normal traffic flow? If so what is the proper way to file complaints and to whom should it be addressed.
Thank you for any information you may have for me.
- Question- There are at least two sport bikers living above Irwin Street downtown. Every (!) nice day they take their bikes down Irwin street going at least 30-40 MPH around the cemetery bend and down Irwin to 12th street. There are small children, toddlers in the houses and condo building in this area. The bikers have zero regard for that, they just speed. Can JPD please do something about that, or would you prefer us residents to try to film or stop them?
- Question- Can you tell me the proper way to react to an emergency vehicle in the following situation?
Downtown at Egan and Main Street there are two lanes as you head towards City Hall. A left hand turn lane and straight only lane. When an emergency vehicle is headed to the cruise ships and there is a vehicle in both lanes stopped at a red light, where is the vehicle in the left hand turn lane supposed to go? Do they remain stopped or run the red light (if clear of oncoming traffic) to get out of the way?
I ask because I saw this happen today. The vehicle in the right hand lane pulled farther to the right and stopped while the vehicle in the left turn lane didn't know what to do and remained stopped since the light was red. The fire truck was honking at them until the light turned green and they made the left turn. It just seemed like a really confusing situation for everyone.
- Question- What certification do I need to perform dot inspections? Will the ASE certification work?
- Question- I have a traffic ticket that needs to be paid, but I cannot find the ticket on the courtrecords.alaska.gov to pay by credit card. The ticket says that I can pay with a check made out to the plaintiff. Does this mean I should make the check payable to Juneau Police Department?
- Question- There is an abandoned vehicle on Gastineau Avenue just past the Channel View Apartments that is overflowing in to the street with garbage. A late model, maroon, Chevy Blazer EHU 452. Can you please send someone up there? Also, a light green minivan is partially parked on Gastineau Avenue (about half-way up) creating a very narrow drive for either direction. Thanks!
- Question- I am parked on the street near Rendezvous and a minivan has parked in front of me, partially in a no parking zone. They have blocked my access out. Can you help?
- Question- Recently I have attended two hearings for my friend who has been charged with a DUI. There was also another person scheduled to appear at the same hearing times that failed to appear on both occasions. My friend had taken the initiative to enroll in the required JASAP program, paid all fines in a timely manner and, appeared in court as ordered. The other person had a $1000 bench warrant issued at the hearing for fta, but subsequently was given a quash warrant hearing. I wonder if this is due to "narcing" on other offenders. I really don't understand why the person that was fta is given every opportunity repeatedly, and the person that showed up had the book thrown at them. Makes me wonder what the judicial system is up to. Please advise and thank you.
- Question- Hi. I live on thane Road, so my question is what is the cut-off time tomorrow morning for getting through the downtown area headed to the valley.
- Question- Over the last few years, my neighbors and myself have noticed an increasing number of speeders in our area. Especially on Lund Street and North Street. I have personally witnessed several vehicles traveling at an estimated 40+ mph on our 20 mph streets. These are repeat offenders. We frequently wave our arms at them to slow down because there are many small children playing in the area. If we catch them on video and get their license plates, can we turn that information in to JPD for issuing tickets or warnings? We have lived on this street since 2000, and the speeding is getting steadily worse. We are in living in fear for our childrens' safety.
- Question- Do you need any special permit to place leaflets warning of parking violations.I would love to tag the tour buses parking illegally at auke bay and deharts.
- Question- Thank you JPD for increased patrol near Craig street/Glacier hwy. The stop sign that i was specifically referring to, however is the one at mountainside/craig. People are still traveling at a high rate of speed and disregarding the stopsign. I sincerely appreciate your help on this matter.
- Question- Are city employees exempt from the limit of 2 hours free parking downtown with there personal vehicles. As I notice from working downtown they park in the morning and don't move until the end of the day
- Question- Request traffic enforcement on craig street/mountainside road area. People constantly blow through the stop sign and drive at excessive speeds. There are families who live up here and dont appreciate the recklessness and lack of regard for public safety. Thanks
- Question- There was recently a article about drivers going way to fast and speeding down to the glacier I have been concerned about this for a while. So my question is our officers allowed to park on privately owned lots or property if the owner gives permission I have a lot that would be perfect for a speed trap and would like to allow a officer to use this to the advantage of getting people to slow down!! Someone is going to get killed.
- Question- Question concerning what constitutes a multi-purpose vehicle as stated on your previous post titled 'tinted windows'. My car is a limo, although not currently licensed to carry passengers for hire. I believe my registration says 'multi-use' as it can be limo or passenger vehicle. Would it qualify for the exemption for tinted windows as stated in 13 AAC 04.223 (b)(4) ? see below I appreciate any information as this has been an ongoing issue and I am deciding whether to take the issue farther.
(b) Aftermarket tinting of vehicle windows is allowed as follows:
4) limousines and passenger buses used to transport persons for hire, motor homes, and vehicles identified by the vehicle manufacturer as multipurpose may have tinting material that complies with Standard No. 205, Glazing Materials, in 49 C.F.R. 571.205 (1992).
- Question- Where can i find the city statue on emergency vehicle lighting for personal vehicles? I just want to know what is legal and what isnt legal when responding to fire calls. Thanks
- Question- Is it possible to put Tongass Blvd on the list for increased patrols? Seems that drivers consistently do not observe the 20 mph speed limit on Tongass Blvd. Thanks!
- Question- Ive always wondered the true answer to this question... My parents told me that if you are driving on a highway with a posted speed limit of 55 but everyone else is doing 65, you should keep pace with traffic. Is that true?
- Question- REALLY.... I just stopped a motorcycle here on Threadneedle St.
going at 40mph on a 20mph street! please stop this issue! Summer is coming and their are so many LITTLE KIDS on our streets!
- Question- Over at Floyd Dryden, the handicap parking is consistantly blocked, preventing disabled parents from picking up their children. On the same note, disabled parents are having their vehicle blocked in by other residents picking up their child. This prevents the parents from leaving. In both cases, the school refuse to do anything about it. Is there a law that prevents the above from happening?
- Question- Could some officers please do some speed and stop sign enforcement on mountainside drive/craig st? People constantly blow through stop signs and speed through neighborhood. There are a lot of children. Thanks!
- Question- Have you guys figured out a date for the vehicle auction
- Question- How do I report a reckless driver from today that almost crashed into me twice?
- Question- What time are the baby car seat inspections being done today?
- Question- I know that your going to have the auction the end of the month,why dont you put the Vehicles on the public surplus site.There's already a link to CBJ.You could save money by not having them towed over to La Perouse. http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/juneau,ak/browse/cataucs?catid=4
- Question- When will the next police auction be for vehicles?
- Question- I work in the Goldbelt building on the corner of Glacier Ave and 10th St. Their are crosswalks at Glacier and 10th, and F street and 10th. Once again I've come within 2 feet of being used as a speed-bump while crossing IN A CROSS WALK. This morning there wasn't any traffic from Glacier Ave or Egan when we began to cross at 10th and F, but the light at the bridge turned green. Before we could get across the 4 lanes, traffic from the bridge was coming FAST. We had to stop 3/4 of the way across to keep from getting plowed over by a guy in a pickup truck who then flipped us off. He went past at over 30 miles an house passing with 2 feet! Every day it's a close call in these two crosswalks, too close. Can you help?
- Question- What is the status of charges in case number 130116-007 which involved the single car accident/roll over on Jan. 16, 2013?
- Question- On a daily basis, people park in the ADA loading zone in front of Harborview School directly before and after school hours. Only rarely do these people have handicap tags. The last time I addressed this issue with a violator the person became very agitated and said "Everybody does it!" Sadly, the person's right. Everybody does it. There's no enforcement and no disincentive.
JPD already has officers regularly patrolling that school zone during peak times. Could the officers already in the area or a parking enforcement interceptor occasionally swing by the school entrance during peak times during school days (7:50-8:05am and 2:20-2:40pm) and start handing out some tickets for illegally parking in the ADA loading zone so legitimately handicapped people can use those spots when they need them most?
- Question- Is there plans to have another vehicle auction anytime soon?
- Question- How long can a derelict vehicle be left on the street? There is a #### that has been on upper Seward St. since at the beginning of last summer. It got tagged once back around Oct. & was rolled back 2 spaces where it has been sitting ever since & has not moved. It does not even run.
- Question- Why is the road leading to Chapel by the Lake closed to UAS students? Will it ever be reopened? It feels like it's been this way for too long now.
- Question- Is there any update on the single car accident at mile 19 on 2/14?
- Question- There was a week at 30 mile today which involved a drunk driver and his passenger was seriously injured and hospitalized. Why was there no arrest made?
- Question- I just read a bulletin from the other day that said, "so and so was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated" is that different from a DUI?
- Question- Let's go back to Case 130116-007. If he didn't have a driver's license, does that mean he also had no insurance? Three misdemeanors? Considering the situation, it seems there ought to be a felony or two he could be charged with, (but, of course, I know nothing about the laws). Do multiple misdemeanors ever add up to a felony? You know. Like three strikes, and you're out?
- Question- Are there going to be any criminal charges filed against the driver of the terrible Egan accident? My family along with others could have been killed due to the drivers negligence. Will anyting be done once they recover?
- Question- Can JPD deputize private citizens to do nothing other than write tickets.I'm so sick and freekin tired of trying to find a handicap spot at freds and especially walmart taken up by people without the placards.And those people (just going in for a second)still parked there 45 minutes later.Walmart cant do anything because they said the state mandates a certain number of spaces and the state posts the signage therefore the state is supposed to enforce it.JPD seems more interested in giving out tickets for broken lightbulbs than ticketing those who INTENTIONALLY break the law.
- Question- So for the "slower traffic keep right" Q&A, taking Egan Drive for example, if a person going slower then the speed limit is in the right lane and they have 5 or more vehicles behind them it is ok due to there being another lane open for passing, is that correct?
- Question- What are the particulars of any "keep right" laws in Juneau? Are the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs enforceable? Is there a regulatory difference between "Left Lane For Passing Only" and "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs?
- Question- I think my question may have been lost in the bit bucket in the sky since I haven't seen a response.
Has the law changed regarding a school bus turning right on a red light? I have followed buses 19, 20 and 38 and have watched them turn right at the WalMart intersection. Are they allowed to do that?
- Question- No question, just this light hearted funny for our hard working folks on the beat; MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I was driving when I saw the flash of a traffic camera. I figured that my picture had been taken for exceeding the limit even though I knew that I was not speeding. Just to be sure, I went around the block and passed the same spot, driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed. Now I began to think that this was quite funny, so I drove even slower as I passed the area once more, but the traffic camera again flashed. I tried a fourth and fifth time with the same results and was now laughing as the camera flashed while I rolled past at a snail's pace
Two weeks later, I got five tickets in the mail for driving without a seat belt. You can't fix stupid
- Question- Has the law changed regarding school buses turning right on red lights? I followed buses 19 and 38 on Monday morning, and both turned right on red at the light near Walmart. This is not the first time this school year that I've followed these buses and watched them turn right on a red light.
- Question- At 12:16 a.m. Friday, James Robert Hanson, 41, was cited for driving without a license on Harris Street. The vehicle was impounded.
This Was in the Juneau Empire. 11/23/2012. Yet it wasn't posted in your daily bulletins. I am curious how they got information that you did not release. Please clarify this for me?
Earlier in the year I called you Juneau Empire, Regarding the Plethora of arrest, of Young people Arrested on simple drug charges.
They informed me at that time August That they get all their information from JPD.
Which is it? Thank you for your time, And the service to community
- Question- When it snows and covers the lines on the roadway people tend to drive where they think the lane is. Most of the time we all tend to follow the tracks left by the cars that have gone before us. Once the pavement has been exposed after heavy travel the lines have been exposed and show that cars have been driving half in half out of their lane. So, my question is, is it best to keep driving in the exposed path or should we be trying to drive where we know we are supposed to be driving which is between the lines, not crossing over into another lane? I tend to want to drive where we are supposed to be driving (in the middle of our own lane) and it irks me to see 95% of other drivers blatently crossing the center line when it is clearly showing. Also, on corners, like on the back loop at goat hill, people that drive in the exposed pavement tracks tend to push the other lane dangerously close to the ditch.
- Question- Is there any enforcement whatsoever on the proliferation of vehicles (mostly trucks) with auxillary driving lights? At least 50% of them are dangerously bright and not aimed correctly. This is a serious public safety issue.
- Question- After the new sidewalks were put in on Wood Duck, they installed "no parking any time signs" on the non-sidewalk side of the street. They are spaced about every other property or so. Does this mean that the entire one side of the street is no parking or that you can only park in front of the properties not displaying the signs? If it is in fact no parking, who do talk to to have it changed?
- Question- Up Seward, by the Capital Park dead end, residents of the big house have been using the ally as personal parking. They have been retaliating against others paring there by blocking them in and even parking in the no parking some next to the stairs below the entrance to the legislative office. Also they are using park parking as personal parking. Can we get some extra patrol in the area please to keep them in check please?
- Question- can anything be done about the people who insist in stopping on the corner of egan when turning onto mendahall loop rd,maybe a do not stop on corner sign,i know their trying to get to superbear,but thats a major wreck waiting to happen.
- Question- Those crosswalks near Floyd Dryden and walmart that pedestrians can press, they turn yellow, then red, then flash red and then off. Can you please explain to the public that after the person(s) have made it safely across and the light is flashing red they can proceed with caution? It cleary states in the Alaska DMV book this is aloud but most people wait until the light is off. Thank you.
- Question- I was fourth in line turning left onto Main Street from Egan. There was a pedestrian trying to cross Main using the crosswalk. When the left turn light changed from Red to Flashing Yellow the three cars ahead of me turned left and cut off the pedestrian who had the Walk Light. Wouldn't it be safer if the left turn light stayed Red when the Walk Light is lit?
- Question- Now that the Main street has been closed for a while at the 4th street intersection, the Main/4th intersection became an accident just waiting to happen. Either the right of way has been changed and I am not aware of it or most of the idiots driving through that intersection think that the right of way has changed and the intersection became a 3-way stop sign. Which it isn't - stop signs are still where they are, on 4th and West 4th sides of the road.
If I understand it correctly, the Main street traffic turning left and right currently has the right of way and precedence over any other traffic. Then the West 4th street traffic going straight to 4th street and turning right onto the Main street has the right of way and precedence over the West 4th street traffic that is turning left. And only when there is no other traffic the West 4th (Capitol Building/Dimond Courthouse side) street traffic can make a left turn.
Please clarify this and see if any additional signs need to be posted, as over the past two weeks I have been nearly hit then honked at / flipped off 4 times by assholes thinking they have the right of way. I observe traffic violations of right of way there all day every day. Typically these drivers would try go go straight from West 4th street when people are making a left from Main onto West 4th or would try to bolt left from 4th onto Main when people are making a right turn from West 4th.
- Question- Someone abandoned their car on my property. How do I get rid of it?
- Question- Many, many weeks ago I brought to your attention a grey truck on 7th that has been parked up there since spring. It finally did get tagged once but the tag was quickly removed & was rolled back a few feet. Since then (many weeks now)it has been parked in it's 2nd location. (It gets rolled because it does not run.) Word must be getting around that this is a good place to stash cars because now there is a 2nd one parked at the very end of Seward that has also not moved for many weeks. (Burgundy Toyota van). Some residents are lucky enough to have dedicated parking up there but many of us do not & have to scramble around for parking every day. Isn't there anything more that can be done besides playing this roll it back & forth game?
- Question- When is the next car auction?
- Question- Last night my car was hit while parked and I got the other parties car insurance information and made a report to my car insurance company. Was I supposed to also contact JPD and file a report with them too?
- Question- When will u guys be having the next vehicle auction?
- Question- Are there any city or state regulations on towing a vehicle in Juneau?
- Question- I noticed that DOT recently changed out all of the left turn traffic signals, and replaced them with flashing yellow arrows. This morning I noticed that when traffic going in the same direction has a red ball, the left turn is flashing yellow. Does this mean I can still legally turn left (even though it would normally be a red light)?
Also - any idea why this change was made? It seems like Juneau drivers had enough problem yielding on the green ball - how can Juneau drivers be trusted with flashing yellow arrows? YIKES!
- Question- Does JPD enforce any of the parking at Auke Bay or is it the harbor masters problem.Got a ticket for parking the car and trailer up the hill because the tour buses were blocking the avaiable spaces.
- Question- I have completed the online renewal registration for my car but have not received my tags and they expire in 5 days. If I do not receive my tags before they expire does the receipt count showing I paid for me to be able to drive my car while I am waiting for my tags
- Question- If **** **** was given a citation for negligent driving and the report said alcohol was a factor then why was she not given a DWI?
- Question- There was an out of control driver yesterday in a maroon Pathfinder near Walmart on Old Glacier Hwy. Curious if this person was apprehended. Many peoples lives were put in danger.
- Question- At the new Walmart intersection, if I am sitting at the stop sign waiting to turn right or left onto Glacier Hwy, it's difficult or even impossible to see if the light is blinking, solid, or not lit. If the crosswalk is clear, is it ok to turn at any time? What if there are already cars stopped on Glacier Hwy?
- Question- Many weeks ago there was a question posted here about a small grey truck w/ green shell that was left on 7th St at the top of Seward St. & had not been moved for months. Dispatchers's response said someone was on it. The truck is still there & has no visible tag or ticket on it. What gives? How many months can a vehicle sit on a city street before it is considered abandoned?
- Question- If I followed a car on the highway swerving left and right for a couple of miles, with a turn signal constantly on, crossing the median line and the shoulder line, almost hitting cars in the other lane, almost hitting a retaining wall - with a younger female behind the wheel bending down for several seconds to pick stuff up from the floor, continuing to do her hair and makeup at the same time, speeding, then stopping at the intersection and while putting on lipstick BACKING UP while stopped at the intersection almost running into my vehicle - and I have it all on video with clearly visible license plate and even an identifiable face of the female in her rearview and side mirrors - does JPD want this footage? Or is it only worth retaining for personal (and YouTube) entertainment purposes only? Thank you.
- Question- There have been several times in the past year where I have observed drunk drivers on Egan. Additionally, I often see extremely aggressive drivers speeding, tailgating, and weaving through traffic. What is the best way to notify JPD about these instances while they are happening? I have hands-free calling in my vehicle, so I could safely call as it is happening.
- Question- You really should try and post a police officer near the construction that is taking place by fred meyers. I go through there at 45 and am always being passed by people doing at least 55 or more even during the day... scary for the workers...
- Question- So when is the next vehicle auction,my 100 dollar investment from the last one finally died?????
- Question- Hit-and-run victim from last year at walmart 70 year old man Manual Antonio Mendoza, did they catch the person who did it?
- Question- What is the deal with the broken down car or not broken down car??? At Walmart parking lot it has the back window broken out and the gas cap is missing?? Can somebody just take that car if the wanted it??
- Question- What's going on with the road to Auke Rec? The best days of summer, and the road to the beach is closed?!?
- Question- I followed an unmarked, totally white tour bus to ***** last night. It had .......(equipment that may violate commercial motor vehicle regulations). The license plate is ******.
- Question- Every day there are 2 pickup trucks parked on Eagle street blocking one lane of traffic. Is there anything that can be done about these pickups?
- Question- Am I required to have a license plate on the front of my car or only on the back?
- Question- 3 mornings this week between 700 and 715 a motorcycle has blown down Egan. I've seen him split traffic, move into a merge lane (Yandukin) to pass cars and he has no regard for the speed limit. Please catch this guy!
- Question- I submitted a question regarding a truck blocking my driveway. Please disregard, as I got a hold of the contractor and he talked to his employees and fixed the problem. Thanks!
- Question- Hello,
The employees of a local construction company building homes in my neighborhood continually park in front of my mailbox on the street all day while they are working. This prevents my mail from being delivered. I sent an email to the company but there has been no corrective action taken. Is there a law against obstructing the postal service and what recourse do I have to see my mail gets delivered?
- Question- The road on Wood Duck Ave was recently paved last year and No Parking signs were posted on both sides of the road then. The other day I parked my truck directly across from my driveway so that contractors could get access to my property. My truck was parked there for less than one hour and I recieved a parking ticket. Why are there No Parking signs posted on both sides of the street? How am I suppose to allow contractors to come in if they can not legally park anywhere? I also have a baby and parking across the street sometimes helps me to have enough room to unload the truck while wearing the baby.
- Question- My office looks directly over the school bus stop in front of Rainbow Foods downtown. I am shocked at how many cars do not stop when the bus has lights flashing w/stop sign out & is activley loading / unloading students. Yesterday alone I witnessed this happen at least 4 times & it just now happened again. Some of these kids are very young. Is it possible to have an officer nearby to crack down on this before someone gets hurt?
- Question- Can you still park along the side of the road by the bus barn at deharts with a boat trailer,without getting a ticket.Tourists are hogging all the spots by the landing?????
- Question- There's a white van with blue stripes parked on David St that has been parked in the same spot for over a week. More vehicles are parking behind it and its making Davis St into a one lane road near the top. Can someone check on that?
- Question- Is there a way to request the speed camera trailer for a certain area in the valley? Lots of kids, next to a park and ball field, in a 25 zone. People fly through the area all the time!! It's riverside dr near melvin park/ lupine lane area. :-)
- Question- What is the law on parking on residential streets in the valley? Some roads get very congested with cars parked on boath sides of the road.
- Question- I'm not real savvy about this new crosswalk by Walmart. When the light turns red, I know I have to stop so the pedestrian can cross the road. The light stays red long after they've crossed the road. So, do I have to stay stopped as long as the light is red? Or after they cross, can I proceed through the red light?
Thanks for clarifying this one for me.
- Question- Now that cruise ships are about to return for the summer, can you tell me what the law is for crosswalks and pedestrians? If I stop for a pedestrian and they cross out of my lane, can I proceed or do I need to wait until they are all the way to the other sidewalk and not just across the center line?
Does the rule change if the road is like Egan by KINY where there are two lanes in each direction?
- Question- Did they extend the date to change studded tires this year? It seems like a LOT of cars still have them on.
- Question- Was wondering when the list of cars coming up for auction are going to be posted????
- Question- i know you are from a different state but are you allowed to have a open container in the trunk of your car?
- Question- When will the list of vehicles be posted for the April car auction?
- Question- Parking enforcement doesn't seem to happen any longer on the street in front of the city museum. I see a ******* parked there everyday, sometimes all day (a state worker I think), and there is never a ticket on their car. Signs indicate this is 1/2 hr parking, but no one seems to be checking these spots. They could probably make a bunch of money on parking tickets if they did!
- Question- I was in the vehicle unloading passengers at 326 4th St when I saw a red truck/suv playing bumber cars trying to get into a spot way too small for the large vehicle. I believe the plate was *****. Do I need to file a report? It appears only the front vehicle, a green volkswagon with hadicap plates, appears to have bumper scraping damage.
- Question- At the intersection of Channel drive and Egan, why are people who are turning northbound on egan from glacier hwy yielding to people turning from Channel drive?
At an intersection that is a 2 lane road and 4 lane, where the people turning from the two lane are turning onto the 4 lane and it is a green ball, wouldnt the people turning right have the right of way?
- Question- The parking lot at JDHS has a parking spot reserved for a police car. Is this only applicable during regular school hours or does it remain in effect for evening activities at the school as well?
- Question- I got a parking ticket notice in the mail on a vehicle that I sold a couple years ago. I don't even know who owns it now. Why would JPD still have it under my name and is it my responsibility to pay for whoever owns the truck now?
- Question- What happens to the abandoned vehicles by the tesoro gas station,do they go straight to the dump or do they go to the auction??? Need some parts and dont want to trespass.
- Question- There where 2 fire trucks by my house this am. What was going on? 7520 glacier hwy at 430am.
- Question- when is the next vehicle auction?
- Question- Is it illegal to park within a certain distance of a fire hydrant or stop sign on a residential street? If so, who enforces that and what is the penalty? Also, if said vehicle or vehicles are blocking traffic is it an issue?
- Question- I'd like to add some follow up information about the question concerning driver right of way when turning left on a green light, specifically at Haloff Street.
I too use the Stephen Richards side of that intersection each morning and have to contend with the desperate drivers turning left from Haloff and indeed, they do make risky maneuvers to get onto Loop Road. I donít blame them because they would never make it out of Haloff if they didnít drive aggressively. The intersection is poorly designed for that turning movement. Because of this, I called DOT and spoke with their traffic engineer and he is fully aware of the issue and they are currently designing the fix to be built this summer. It will involve widening the Stephen Richards side of the intersection and southbound Loop Road into three lanes: Left turn, Straight and Right turn. Haloff Drivers will have their own green light and turning movement so that they do not have to compete with drivers turning right from Stephen Richards.
I for one canít wait for this improvement as it will reduce the stress of driving to work for a lot of people in the valley!
- Question- I just want to make sure I'm right here...
Traffic turning LEFT on a green light (with NO left turn arrow) are supposed to yield to traffic going STRAIGHT or turning RIGHT at the same light...correct?
I live off of Stephen Richards and am presented with this situation EVERY DAY when it comes to the intersection at Mendenhall Loop. I've seen people turning left from Haloff onto Mendenhall Loop road with absolute disregard for the traffic who has the right of way, who nearly cause accidents, and hold up the normal flow of traffic due to their arrogance.
Getting a bit frustrated, just wanted to ask...I know the public reads these, and maybe your answer could raise some awareness of common traffic laws.
- Question- Is the city planning on replacing/having the contractor replace the STOP sign at the corner of Fifth St. and Main St. (on Fifth)? Given the start of Legislative Session last week, it's critical to the safety of everyone, but especially pedestrians, to have that sign back in place. The road work has been done for ages now, and the sign is still not in place. Thank you.
Along similar lines, now that Session is underway, is JPD planning to increase parking and traffic patrols in downtown, particularly in the area near the Capitol? It would be beneficial to have increased JDP presence in the area to remind all drivers of the basic driving, traffic, and parking laws (i.e. Seward St. is a ONE WAY street going DOWN the hill, so they shouldn't be turning left out of the lower level of the Capitol parking lot; those big octagonal red signs mean STOP not just slow down only if you feel like; "No Parking Here to Corner" signs mean exactly that; pedestrians in cross walks aren't to be run over; parking in front of fire hydrants is illegal; etc.).
Thank you for all you do to keep our city safe.
- Question- When there is a No Parking sign with an arrow pointing in both directions what is the closest you can park to the sign? What tools can citizens use to find simular answers on our own?
- Question- Regarding the accident on the Mendenhall River Bridge Wednesday night, why did the officers allow everyone to drive all the way up to the accident scene only to be turned around and sent back towards Loop Road when it would have made more sense to be detoured at Mint Way?
- Question- Who would I call when I see a car parked in a handicap spot without a sign hanging inside the car or license plates without the handicap marking? Am I allowed to take a picture of the car in question?
- Question- Is there any update on the Ford truck that took out the power pole "out the road" near the shrine? Was the driver ever identified?
- Question- is montana creek road getting blocked off i heard that it was???
- Question- when is the next action? for vehicles.
- Question- Incident: #111218-009
Now Why is that intersection not revamped with a light? That was a working intersection with a light, k-mart left, the light was covered, someone came up with the idea of the overpass, light was moved.... but the bus stop, and crossing remain. Poor lighting, no crossing signal, add a pedestrian in black that thinks they own the road since they are on foot... By grace of god alone, they lived. Must someone really die there before the City does anything about the problem?
- Question- Given that EVERYONE in Juneau is world class driver, and most are able to drive backwards while blindfolded... or so they think, When is JPD going to start enforcing the laws on Egan? It is nothing to see a marked unit pulled over in one of several spots (south of the access by mapco, north of the retaining wall, south end of the retaining wall). Nor is it anything new to see people passing marked cars in excess of 60 mph. If JPD is unwilling, Or unable to enforce the laws as charged, how does anyone expect the exceptional drivers in Juneau to bother to slow down when it snows? After all, four-wheel slide is standard now
- Question- When you buy a new/used vehicle, how long do you have to get your insurance changed to the uninsured vehicle. I was under the impression that it was 30 days from the pruchase date with proof of purchase. A trooper I talked to said its illegal to not have insurance on a vehicle in the state of AK at any time.
- Question- Is there a zero tolerance policy for driving without a license on your person(even if you have a valid one)?
It seems like there are a lot of cases with people getting their cars impounded for not having a license. Is it because they don't have a valid license? What if you have a valid license but forget to bring it? It seems to me that if you forget your DL it doesn't take much to look you up, especially if you know your DL number (I personally remember numbers better than my wallet, for the most part). Thanks!
- Question- This morning I parked in the lot across from the Baranof and used the meter in front on Franklin to register my vehicle for the free 2 hour parking. I noticed the back of my receipt said I didn't need to post in on my dash - just hold on to it. When I got back to my vehicle an hour later I had a ticket waiting for me. What do I do now?
- Question- If two people are in a single car accident and both people are okay and the only damage was done to the car and the people can get the car from the scene safely and by themselves, are you still required to report it?
- Question- Does jpd have a regular eye exam for its officers?? I was sitting at the light at walmart getting on the ramp to egan and the car beside me clearly had expired tags,april expired,behind her was one distracted officer,who for what ever reason didnt notice.
- Question- What is the proper headlights for vehicles? I keep seeing green, blue, purple tinted (cont)
- Question- If you enter a school zone when the lights are flashing, and while you're in the zone the lights stop flashing, what is the speed limit? There are a couple of looooooonng school zones in the valley and somehow I always seem to be in one when the lights change.
- Question- I was just wondering. If a police officer is breaking a traffic law (speeding, swerving, etc) can another police officer pull him/her over?
- Question- yesterday I was chatting with my friends with my dog. I happened to be off the sidewalk but not in the road by any means. But even if I were it was inside a crosswalk. A man turning the corner too tight ran over my dog's tail and hit my backpack. He stopped to yell obscenities at me than he sped off before I could say anything. My dog's tail is injured. I have his license plate and know what kind of car he was driving. Would this be considered a hit and run? I didn't want to bother calling the police because I'm not sure if I even have a case.
- Question- when is JPD doing their vehicle auction again?
- Question- Just woundering if the investigation of the fatal MVA out at 32 mile is finished, Seems like we never hear much after the initial press release. I've seen the survivors name recently on the court docket.
- Question- When is the next JPD vehicle auction?
- Question- I was wondering who is responsible for cleaning up debris after a car accident. Last week, there was a wreck on corner of Valley Boulevard and Back Loop Road and there's still a big mess on the road.
Have a great day and keep up the good work!
- Question- Why doesnt jpd have an officer stationed at auke bay to reel in those tour bus operators who think they own the place.Ive tried to launch the boat several times only to find a greyline bus parked (on) the ramp.Not only that,their parked in the handicapped spaces too.
- Question- Is it illegal in ak to park within a certain distance of a stop sign? Even if there is no sign saying not to park there? Since they completed construction on 4th St downtown, they haven't replaced the sign, and it's become a safety hazard. Cars parked immediatley in front of the sign prevent traffic from forming two lanes at the intersection.
- Question- If an individual is cited for DWOL, is the car always impounded? The posted report doesn't always say that, and I'm wondering if everyone is getting the same treatment or if some are cited and allowed to drive away. Thanks for taking time to respond.
- Question- was there more info on this it keep us up most of the night?
110712-022 MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH
UPON JPD RESPONSE TO A TWO-VEHICLE ACCIDENT, 37-YEAR-OLD FEMALE EDDY RODRIGUEZ WAS
CITED AND RELEASED FOR DUI AND REFUSAL.
MVC - DWI Involved
MVC - DWI Involved
- Question- About the impound auction.If you charge 10.00 to bid and a minimum of 25.00 per car would you make money? I picked up a honda for 5.00 thats still running.Just a thought
- Question- On 7-12-2011 it says there was a DWI crash at 21:54 and to see news release but there is no news release.
- Question- I noticed in today's activity bulletin that case #110712-022 refers to "See News Release" however, there is no associated news release in the news release section. Is a news release forthcoming? Thanks!
- Question- Who do I contact regarding having streets signs that say "Turn around here" and "No outlet" posted on my street?
- Question- Does having handicap license plates entitle drivers to anything other than a handicap parking space? I see people all the time driving recklessly and in some cases dangerously and then notice that they have handicap plates. When people request handicap plates are they re-tested to ensure that they can drive safely and/or properly follow the rules of the road? Thank you.
- Question- Regarding the accident at 24 mile the other day. It is my understanding that the girl was drinking, had no license, and recently had gotten a DWI. How come nothing was reported about that?
- Question- If there is not a sign stating "no parking" 2 cars park across from each other blocking traffic, is neither violating parking laws?
- Question- What is the legal drinking limit for CDL drivers? I have a Class A, in the DMV manual it says that it is .04%. Does this only apply if you are operating a commericial vehicle? Or does it carry over to personally owned vehicles as well? I had an unreliable source say that they recently changed it to .02 for both CMV and POV's. Could you shed some light on these questions please?
- Question- One of my neighbors thinks that the best way to exercise his dogs is to ride his 4-wheeler around the neighborhood and have the dogs chase it. I told him a while back that he couldn't legally ride the 4-wheeler on a street, and he told me that he had "already talked to JPD and they say it's fine". The fact that he doesn't go onto collector roads indicates to me that he knows it's wrong. What's the truth?
- Question- 11 police cars traveled out Glacier Hwy tonight past the ferry terminal at a high rate of speed with sirens going. Can you share what caused all the commotion?
- Question- I know it's not ideal, but is it legal to have a rear-facing infant car seat in the front seat of a truck? There is not an airbag in the truck in question.
- Question- The 5/27 report is missing. Thanks!
- Question- So. Back to the bike on the highway question. When I read the ordinance:
Here is that ordinance:
72.02.400 - Riding on roadways and paths.
A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, and shall give way to the right as far as practicable to a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction when the driver of the motor vehicle gives an audible signal.
Persons riding bicycles on a roadway may not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding bicycles two abreast may not impede traffic and, in a laned roadway, shall ride within the farthest right lane.
In (a) - are we in cars supposed to honk as we approach a bicycle from behind so they know we are coming?
In (b) - IF the bicyclists WOULD RIDE SINGLE FILE IN THE BIKE LANE ON THE HIGHWAY BEYOND AUKE BAY, it would be MUCH safer! Since I live out there, I can't tell you how many times I've come around one of those curves doing the speed limit only to find a bicyclist IN my lane of traffic. One of these days, one of them is going to end up dead when the driver can't swerve into the oncoming lane because a vehicle is coming.
- Question- I often see bicyclist riding on the solid white line and even encroach on to the highway lane causing vehicles to slow down, sometimes stop or even causing drivers to veer towards oncoming traffic. Can they be ticketed for causing unsafe driving conditions for others? I do believe their bike lane allows for ample riding room if they drive in the center of their bike lane.
- Question- My neighbor was involved in a car crash involving a fatality a few winters ago. He has never requested the final police report for the accident. His wife seems to think he needs the report. What is your opinion? Does he need the report? If he does, why?
- Question- Can you tell me what the laws are for operating motorized bicycles on public roads and bike paths in Juneau? This would be a normal bicycle that has a small 2 or 4 stroke gas engine added to it and driven by a belt or chain.
Where can/can't they be ridden and is there a speed limit, engine size limit, etc.
- Question- So . . . back to the bus question. How far out the road is considered "non-urban". The school bus in question had ample opportunities to pull off and allow traffic to go by between the Ferry Terminal and where it turned off Glacier Highway onto Glacier where Egan begins across from Safeway. You can imagine how long the string of vehicles was behind the bus that kept stopping to pick up students.
Thank you for answering this one. As many of us know, the buses can really be a deterrent to getting to work on time even when we attempt to plan to drive between the different route times. Thank God school is out this week, and the buses will not be running!
- Question- I was driving down Egan when I noticed a white van in front of me had a propane tank strapped to the back. When I passed the vehicle I witnessed the driver toss out his cigarette and it landed near the propane tank and eventually hit the road.
I think this should be illegal and the van needs to take it down. What happens if that vehicle crashes into something or another large vehicle like a truck rear ends it? There would be an explosion and possibly a loss of life! Ive seen the vehicle a few times in two weeks so I know the vehicle isn't just transporting the tank from A to B. It's scary to drive around that vehicle and they should be forced to take it down!!
- Question- Isn't it law that someone impeding traffic (like a school bus) is supposed to pull over and let the vehicles go by after there are five or so vehicles behind the slow vehicle? That was law in another state I lived in. Thanks!
- Question- I dont understand when my boyfriend got pulled over for speeding and driving without a license. taking me to the hospital because my friend was in labor he gets his truck impounded and manditory court and threaten that if he gets pulled over agan he will have a year in jail... then the other night someone I know got pulled over by the same cop for drinking and driving and with no license and nothing happens to him. his truck didnt get impounded, he didnt get a ticket nothing, To me thats not fair and that cop needs to treat people the same.
- Question- Best way to get into my car with my keys and purse locked inside? Do I have to scroll through all your questions - I hate to ask a repeat question. Unless other people aren't thise dumb...
- Question- Just a quick note to let you know that Community Service Officer Bob Dilley was doing a fantastic job of directing traffic at the Riverside Drive and Eagan intersection this morning after a traffic light malfunction. He clearly communicated with the drivers, making eye contact to assure a common understanding, and didn't make any cars wait too long. Great job, Officer Dilley! The drivers appreciate your excellent work!
- Question- I wanted to thank Officer Adams for the informative blog on child safety seats. I have an additional question I would like her to address:
What are the implications of placing a child safety seat (specifically an infant seat with detachable base) in an extended cab pick up truck? The rear seats in the extended part of the cab face sideways. I can't really imagine that a child safety seat anywhere in this type of vehicle would be safe. Thoughts?
- Question- What are the rules for U-turns in Juneau? Are they permitted unless there is a sign posted that says you can't?
- Question- I noticed on my way to work this morning, that the overhead walkway on Mend Loop by Trinity Drive has been hit & damaged, right in the mid-section. What happened?
- Question- What are the rules/laws regarding driving with your headlights turned on?
I was under the impression that if your windshield wipers are in use you are required to have your lights on.
- Question- Hi there!
I was wondering in alaska is it legal to have two license plates? I have seen people driving with an out of country front license plate, but with the alaska plate in the back. Also, is it legal to just have the back license plate?
- Question- Is it illegal to drive without a bumper cover in Juneau?
- Question- I was wondering if the vehicle/driver involved in the hit & run on Riverside in October was ever located. I saw a truck the other day that very closely fit the description-I also wrote down the licence number.
- Question- I live out the road; which means i have to drive past the rock quarry by the ferry terminal. Is there any rules or regulations regarding the vehicles that are leaving the work site and the dirt/sand they track onto the highway? I have a relatively new car that I take care of religiously; last work season every time i had to drive through that stretch of road my car would get covered in the fine sand. I have even found a tar-like substance on the underside if my bumpers. I know of other locations where the citizens have brought forward their concerns and the works then had to rinse their vehicles before driving onto highways.
- Question- How long is an RTL/watch out for a vehicle go? I had requested to have JPD keep an eye out for my truck.
- Question- I know there's a sign somewhere, but I can't remember where it is. When do I have to have the studded tires off my car? Thanks!
- Question- Is it legal for cyclists to ride through stop lights in the same lanes with vehicles? I had a cyclist behind me at a stop light today; when the light turned green he tried to cut me off and pass me. He's very lucky I have great peripheral vision!
- Question- If somebody is speeding on Egan, is it legal for a JPD officer to cross the ditch to turn around to pull somebody over?
- Question- This may be something that I need to talk to my landlord about, but is there anything that prohibits large commercial trucks from parking in small driveways? Also the truck that I'm referring to leaves the house and backs into our driveway at all hours of the night... When it's past ten, like when he comes home at 3:00am, can I file a noise complaint?
- Question- Is it legal to drive barefoot?
- Question- IS it illegal to drive while wearing flip-flops or sandals?
- Question- The stop sign across from Frounter suites that angles off to the high is way largly ignored or treated as a yeald sign. If you watched that place a lot of tickets could ne written. It is a very dangerous intersection. Will you watch it ?
- Question- When is the next Juneau Police Auction?
- Question- How long does a car parked downtown have to be there (unmoved) before it is considered "abandoned"?
There are 3 cars on my block that haven't moved in at least 2 months and they are taking up prime parking spots. I've seen the pink notices on cars on the street before that had been there for only a few days.
Also, thank you for the "ask a dispatcher" and the humorous yet informative answers!
- Question- Is it illegal to wear headphones while driving?
- Question- I was wondering why some officers don't seem to have to follow traffic laws. At 5:20 a.m., I saw a police car get off Egan Dr by Walmart and go down the off ramp. Not only did the officer not stop at the stop sign, he barely even slowed down before he turned left toward Walmart. Then, the same thing at the Walmart traffic light, barely slowing at the red light. The car was going so fast I could get close enough to see the license plate, but it did turn down the road to the police station. I was disappointed to see this kind of driving out of someone who enforces traffic laws and is supposed to be an example to the rest of us.
- Question- On today's dispatches it showed a 33 year old male arrested for DUI with a breath alcohol content of .071. I thought the legal limit was .08 unless it is a commercial vehicle where is zero tolerance?
- Question- MY SON 17YO WAS ARESSTED FOR DUI WITH A BAC OF .084 IN THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS I HAVE SEEN 2 OTHER MALES ARESSTED FOR "MINOR OPERATING AFTER CONSUMING". MY QUESTION IS, WHAT IT THE DIFERANCE IN THESE 2 CHARGES? AT FIRST I THOUGHT MAYBE IF THEIR BAC WAS BELOW .080 THAT IT WOULD BE THE LATER CHARGE HOWEVER THIS CAN'T BE IT BECAUSE I KNOW ONE OF THE BOYS BAC WAS .160?
- Question- My car just died,when is the next impound auction?????
- Question- Companies are offering kits to make your side by side ATV street legal. What equipment do I need in Alaska to make my ATV street legal? I'd assume, turn signals, brake lights, horn, mirrors? What am I missing?
- Question- Under House Bill 88, it basically states that you cannot have any distractions in your vehicle such has tv's, computer monitors, etc. I can understand that. However there have been many numerous cases where I have personally scene JPD officers driving down Egan and other roads, paying more attention to their on board computers, or typing away on them as they are driving. To me this is somewhat hypocritical. I think its great that JPD has the ability to give officers more information about a case through their computers and any other information they might need, but Police Officers are supposed to be the front and foremost examples for citizens.
- Question- Is it legal for the crossing guards to hit the crosswalk signs when there are no children around? The guy at riverbend school does it when there aren't any children around. When traffic starts building up on any side of the four way intersection he will hit the button to make the lights change. There are no children crossing the street, or any children around that want to cross the street. He does it to control traffic. Can he really do that?
- Question- HI!
I was wondering JPD's stance on radar detectors?
Are they legal to use or not?
- Question- If JPD would like to write several tickets and possibly save someone from being hit by a car, they should park on Ninnis and watch the people treat the STOP sign as a YIELD sign at Ninnis/Wolfram and Black Wolf. One day a car is going to hit someone. One morning I counted 20 cars in an hour that ran the Stop sign.
- Question- Were there really no DUIs on New Years?! If so, great job to everyone who advertised the Free/Safe Rides!
- Question- Do you need a drivers licensee to attend the winter safety drive course on 01/05/10? thank you
- Question- Howdy! I tried looking up the answer to my question on the Alaska Statutes website, however I feel unless you frequently deal with them, its near impossible to find what your looking for. My question is, is it legal to have an air horn (run by an air compressor) on your vehicle? I imagine there is a decibel level you have to be under? What about a fire engine horn? Any emergency services codes that would be violated? Thank you for your time!
- Question- Somewhere I heard that there is a safe winter driving class on January 5, put on by the Police Department. Is this correct? Where is it? What time? Is it only one session? How much does it cost?
Thank you, and happy holidays!
- Question- Is it a ticketed offence to have gravel spilling from a vehicle constantly, not properly displaying license plates or operating a vehicle in visable disrepair i.e. lights, windows ect. If so, Is it possible for patrol officers watch for those piece of *** plow trucks with the sanders on the back that are in visable disrepair. On 3 occasions this winter my vehicle and my work vehicle has been pounded by spilling gravel from one of these trucks on Egan and Glacier Hwy. Both windows need to be repalced. I would have gotten the licence plate number but they are obstructed by the sanders and plows. Sanders have catch chutes and augers that are supposed to stop the flow of gravel but if not maintained properly or gravel is left on the bumper or too close to the edge of the bed it spills out durring travel. I know not to follow these trucks too close however the size of gravel being used by private sanders will bounce several hundred feet behind and when they change lanes infront of you its unavoidable (state sanders regulate the size of sand they use to keep this from happening). Alot of these private trucks are older and some dont even have licence plates or current registration displayed. We do need the services they provide, however they should follow all the same traffic laws as the rest of us. I an certain the auto glass repair businesses in town dont mind but I do. Could this be forwarded to the state troopers and DOT enforcment officers for commerncial vehicles as well?
Thank you for your public service and any feedback on this,Have a great holiday, and be safe.
- Question- As a follow up to the question regarding brake lights-I have seen some drivers with automatic transmissions drive with their right foot on the gas and their left foot on the brake and they use both at the same time. It's incredibly distracting as a driver to see the tap, tap, tap of the brakes all the way from town to valley when they're not slowing down.
- Question- I was following a pick up truck this morning that appeared to be stepping on his brakes since the light in the middle of the back upper part of the bed cover was lit. As I got closer, I realized it was just a red light that continually stayed on. Is that legal? That light did not get brighter when he stepped on the brakes like his brake lights did. I was trying to drive defensively on Egan and didn't realize he had an "always-on" red light until I was behind him at the stop sign when we got off Egan. For safety reasons, I think that light in the middle of the back of the vehicle should NOT be on unless the driver is stepping on the brakes. Thank you!
- Question- Is there a law against having your car running while you're not in it?
- Question- So in regards to the last post about the app that shows insurance information. What about an app on my phone that stores all my cards e.g license, insurance registration, etc. I have registration and insurance in car but would a full view of my license with picture and everything be the same as the license. I always remember my phone but not always my license
- Question- I have an app on my iPhone for my vehicle insurance (State Farm) that displays my current insurance card. Is that sufficient for proof of insurance if Iím ever pulled over by JPD?
- Question- speed trap needed on Threadneedle street. Worst times are between 6am-7:30am and again in the early afternoon/evening. Children are on the street going to school and too many cars are using this street as if it was a highway.
- Question- When does it become illegal to have extremely loud base emanating from a vehicle? Today around 1:00PM there was a blue Ford mini van driving with an extremely loud base sound vibrating me inside my vehicle 3 car lengths ahead. This is VERY irritating.
- Question- How often do patrol officers look at vehicle license plate expiration tags? I have recently counted no fewer than 10 (ten) expired plate on the road, being actively driven.
- Question- Along with that last question regarding the idiots holding political signs at the McNugget intersection, when I passed through there last night at about 5 pm, more than one sign holder was standing on the shoulder of the highway near the light pole and leaning towards the oncoming traffic. Should I have called in so JPD could get the stupid person off the road?
- Question- So this morning, November 2, the political sign enthusiasts were even more annoying than usual-they were crowded into the middle area between the inbound and outbound lanes (on the McDonald's side of the intersection, rather than the Canton House side of the intersection) of Egan at McNugget intersection. There is no area for pedestrians in that spot and I found it incredibly distracting as a driver and incredibly stupid on the signholders' behalf. What are the rules associated with the political signholders and public roadways?
- Question- Somebody asked the other day how many points you have to have before you lose your driver's license. I didn't know and thought I'd ask you. Do you know?
Then, if you lose your license, what does it take to get it back?
What happens if you drive when you don't have a license?
- Question- If an ambulance or police car has their lights flashing,but is in no hurry and isnt using the siren,do you still have to get out of their way????
- Question- Is it legal/acceptable for a JPD vehicle (driven by an officer) to use accessive speed on Egan without the use of emergency lights?
- Question- Why is it when my roommate stole my car they said they couldnt take my stolen report!? Like that is saying oh cause they live with you it is ok they take your stuff.
- Question- Can anonymous calls be reported about somone who drives home drunk from bars several times a week? I'm concerned about the public's safety. And do bartenders bear any responsibility if they know this happens?
- Question- Follow up on the motorbike question, my previous question was meant to focus on motorbikes that do not require licensing, insurance and registration. What are the limitations for these motorized vehicles? It has been my understanding that there is a maximum engine size and restrictions on where you ride them and what time of day. I want to buy one that falls under this rule if there is such a rule. But if there isnt such a rule then what is JPD's policy on the small motor vehicles we all see in the residential parts of town.
Thank you again for any information on this.
- Question- I am considering buying a small motorbike AKA scooter, moped 50 CC or less. I would like to ride it around in the valley while visiting friends and doing small errands. What are the limitations of use for 50 CC motorbikes in Juneau? Licensing? Registration/insurance? Time of day or night? Lights/no lights? Bike lane? Sidewalk? Trails? And if thereís anything I might not have considered that would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much.
- Question- This beautiful weather can't last forever, and I'm afraid when it's gone, we're going to get slammed by winter! When can I legally start driving around with my studded tires?
- Question- Everytime i go to walmart people are parking in,and over the handicaped spaces.does any one (police) enforce those spaces or is it walmarts problem?????
- Question- First off, I greatly appreciate the article in today's Juneau Empire "Juneau Police: Beware the bus zone". Thank you for that reminder of caution.
Every day, my child, a first grader, is walked to school by his father, before the school crossing guard is out at the crosswalk, but after the school zone lights have come on. About 7:30 am.
It seems it would be common courtesy, at minimum common sense, when a driver sees a child at a crosswalk, with or without a parent, and those school zone lights are on - the driver should be courteous enough to stop and let him or her cross. My child also was walked to school by his father all last year as well for Kindergarten. Too many times I've seen my son and his father have to wait too long, (at times as long as five minutes!) just to cross to Riverbend School. It seems absurd and is frustrating to watch when many cars simply drive by without being kind enough to stop and let people cross at the crosswalk. Unfortunately, there have been times where there are not any drivers that stop and my child and his father have no option but to wait until there is a break in traffic and it is safe for them both to cross.
Is it legal for drivers to not stop for a child waiting to cross at a crosswalk? When the school zone lights are flashing?
- Question- Hi. I read in the Juneau Empire that someone's car was impounded for driving without a license. My question is this; is that without a VALID license, EXPIRED license, or ZERO license. I ask because I just realized mine expired on my birthday (last week). And yes, I am going to get a new one but know my luck I'll get pulled over on my way out there.
- Question- My son is driving on a provisional license. Technically the 6 months was up last week but due to sports and school we haven't had the opportunity to take him to DMV to get the regular license. Today we caught him driving with his girlfriend. He says his buddies told him that since the time was up it didn't matter, we believe he was violating the law because he is still officially on a provisional. Who is right?
- Question- Regarding the cross walk at Floyd Dryden: After the pedestrians/bicyclists have safely crossed the intersection, can we continue driving? I thought I read in the paper that you can go once the steady red lights start flashing, but almost all the drivers wait until the lights are completely off.
- Question- Can you report someone who is driving with a revoked license annonymously or do you have to provide your name
- Question- I notice what looks like cameras at some of the intersections mounted up near the stop lights recently. What are they? What's the story?
- Question- Can you please help settle a dispute between my husband and I?
What are those camera-on-a-pole thingies that have been installed over traffic lights in the valley area? Hubby says cameras...I say something having to do with traffic light sensors. Who is the lucky winner?
- Question- I don't know if anyone noticed there are alot of poeple speeding on the highway is there anything going to be done about it school is comming up and noticed that riverside drive has alot of people at night speeding
- Question- Who do i call to complain about a menace to juneau roadways.Theirs some converted van running around thats got it back lights obscured by something hanging off the back bumper.I almost hit it.
- Question- Good morning, so recently I have been trying to help my friend in getting his license so he can drive, currently he does have a valid permit but does not have a copy of the permit (lost) so we went into DMV to get a copy, though instead of receiving a copy we got told that a new law had been passed making it so you could only renew it once, after that you have to take the road test, however they wouldn't go into details with us. This sounded very fishy to me however as I thought if you didn't have a license you still have to have your permit and have it with you at all times when you drive even when taking a road test from the DMV, am I wrong?
- Question- Can you set up some sort of speed trap on Radcliffe Rd? It seems people think it's a 40 mph road but it's really a residential road.
- Question- Are carseats required for toddlers in commercial vehicles (i.e. taxis and buses)?
- Question- Driving a motorized vehicle while intoxicated is just plain stupid, I get that. But I've heard you can get a DUI while on a bike or any other transportation with wheels even if its not motorized. Why is this? Is the punishment exactly the same as a motorized vehicle?
I can see someone on a bike hitting someone that may be walking, but why would someone, that just got a DUI while driving a motorized vehicle still be able to ride a bike around if they are no longer able to drive a motorized vehicle?
- Question- I see people throwing cigarette butts out of their cars all of the time. Is it worth it to call the non-emergency line and report the license plate number?
- Question- I was recently pulled over for speeding and boy did I learn my lesson! Thank you to the officer who pulled me over! Now that I have been made sure that I stay under 60 (not 65) I have noticed a lot of people going close 90 miles per hour. Is it possible to get more police patrols on Egan during the morning rush, 7:00 - 8:00am to work and the evening 5:00 - 6:00 rush home?
- Question- In addition to the question regarding riding dirt bikes, snowmachines and 4-wheelers, what about go-carts? Are they allowed on residential streets, sidewalks, and/or bike paths?
- Question- I live on Crow Hill in Douglas, safely trying to see any traffic coming when you are stopped at the bottom of that hill is starting to become impossible with all the brush that has grown out in the last few weeks. Who should I contact about having it cut?
- Question- Re #100605-013 on 6/5/10 from the Daily Bulletin says:
53YO CAROL VANDOR WAS ARRESTED FOR DWI (BrAC: .252) FOLLOWING A TWO-VEH MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH. SHODDA WAS CITED FOR FAILURE TO YIELD.
My question, who is Shodda?
- Question- First off, thanks for all the hard work keep the people of Juneau safe!
My question is why JPD does not use undercover vehicles for speeding enforcement? I spend my whole workday on Juneau's roads and I am amazed at how bad our Juneau drivers are getting.
At least once a day I get passed by a car load of teenagers going 80+ MPH or get tailgated so close that I can't see their hood.
One thing I notice often is that people behave really well when there is a police cruiser within sight. I think JPD should install undercover lights in a couple of Subaru's and start cracking down on all these bad/dangerous drivers.
Keep up the good work!
- Question- In regards to officers speeding question, I am not talking about in emergency situations or during traffic violations... I am talking about when cops are out just generally driving down the road. Techinically if they are going 1 mile over the speed limit that is speeding, and against the law, correct? or when they are going 60 miles an hour, or faster, whether they are going with the flow of traffic or not, is that not illegal? Basically what i want to know is what procedure would one do, for a cop to get a speeding ticket or traffic violation. in regard to emergency situations, I have fallowed a cop to a certain point a few times when they have gone 65 down the highway just to see where they are headed, not to a stalking degree though if thats illegal, and I have seen the cops are just out driving and and not responding to a call. So what i want to know is, is it okay for a cop to go one mile or any amount over the speed limit if they arent in an emergency situation or responding to a call, and how to see they get prosecuted because we all have equal rights? and i have been harassed and let go by an officer when i myself has been driving 60 down the highway right next to an officer. Also, when i start calling in when i see a cop speeding how do i fallow up and know what action was taken or whether they were technically responding to an emergency. I am not trying to be a pest, but make sure all out rights are equal and that there isnt any special treatment for police officers, although i do respect they put themselves in the line of duty to protect us citizens
- Question- How come police officers are aloud to go over the speed limit without there lights on in an emergency situation, or better yet, I should ask, who do I contact about prosecuting officers violating speeding laws. It seems 9 out of 10 officers I see are going faster than the speed limit. Its hypocritcal for them to even go a mile over the speed limit.
- Question- Who is responsible for enforcing handicap parking spots? People parking in these spots without a sticker or plate is getting out of hand. One day at Fred Meyer all the spots in front of the store were taken and not one car had a handicap sticker or plate on them. I know the police have much more serious issues to deal with but if they are responsible for this can I take a picture with my cell phone and send it in so these people can at least get a warning?
- Question- Does juneau have a law against using the cell phone while driving.I was sitting at the post office and almost every 4th car someone was yaking on their phone.
- Question- I'm familiar with seatbelt laws and car seat laws, but I don't know the answer to this question: What are the laws concerning passengers in the bed of a truck? Without a canopy? With a canopy?
- Question- Any idea when the city is going to get around to restriping the roads.Im trying to teach a 14 yr old to drive,they can't see most of the lines.
- Question- I'm pretty sure it is illegal to pass cars on the right while they are waiting to turn left on a two lane road. Yet almost every morning that there is school, parent taking their children to Riverbend, have other drivers passing them in the northbound bicycle lane. Would it be possible if the next time one of the officers is doing school zone speed enforcement in that area, they could also address the passing on the right?
- Question- How far can a platform stick out past the rear bumper,without putting on lights?
- Question- When do we have to have our studded tires changed?
- Question- Are State of Alaska Mail Truck drivers exempt from the speed limit on Egan Dr. Ya I didn't think so!
- Question- I have a person that likes to come by and honk the horn to the point it becomes annoying. Is there an ordinance that addresses excessive honking when it is not an emergency?
- Question- Is it legal for your designated driver to only have a driver's permit? Does the permit holder's accompanied driver have to be non-impaired?
- Question- What is the process of calling the police to report a reckless driver on the road? I have had multiple occasions within the last couple of days where cars have almost hit me and then speed off down the road going an ungodly speed. Do they pursue the car? Is it even worth my time to call it in the JPD?
- Question- I would like to drive a taxi this summer. Can I have the application online?
- Question- Does a van converted to sell hot food need a different license from the DMV?
- Question- Are the laws different for city streets and state roads regarding parking against traffic, which I see happening a lot in residential neighborhoods?
Is it ok to park against traffic on City Streets?
Is it ok to park against traffic on State Roads?
- Question- Is it true that pedestrian have the right of way in Juneau? This is especially dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers during the winter months. Pedestrians step out in front of moving vehicles at crosswalks downtown and expect vehicles (going up hill and downhill) to make very sudden stops even though the roads are slick with black ice or snow.
- Question- How do I get the date of my accident corrected. DMV said on the police report it has 9/12/2009 when it was actually 12/12/2009.
- Question- Where can we ride ATV's & Dirt Bikes here in town? Also any place to 4x4 Off Road?
- Question- What is the law regarding tinting windows? Also I understand that itís different per class of vehicle. What are the legal limits on tint and how come a car can't have privacy tint but SUV's can? Also are there exceptions like a car used for business and tinted area of car is "cargo space". I know some cars, like a PT Cruiser, have painted over paneling in lieu of windows.
- Question- At what age/weight is your child allowed to sit in the front seat of your vehicle? My son weighs 40 lbs and is 42 inches tall. Our vehicle airbag automatically turns off when it detects him in the seat. I have seen others riding around with their children in the front seat. Is this breaking the law?
- Question- Any idea when the list of vehicles will be available for the outcry auction.
- Question- Re: Open Container law - so if you take home a bottle a wine from a party, it's still against the law? If even if the driver didn't drink? My parents don't drink so when we have dinner there, we usually bring home the wine. We've been breaking the law??
- Question- Recently, I got into a minor traffic accident; subsequently, I have a broken tail light. The soonest appointment to repair all damage is over a month away. In the meantime, the red tape over the tail light falls off every day. What happens if I get pulled over, and receive a fix it ticket that is due sooner than my repair date when the taillight assembly itself costs more than the deductable I have to pay when I get all the damage fixed? Should I just park it until then?
- Question- A friend told me that the ticket for having an open container in a car is a small fine as long as you are not intoxicated. Is this true?
- Question- I've noticed many different hues on headlights lately (white, blueish, yellowish, etc.). Is there any law governing what is "approved" for road use? Are yellow headlights legal?
- Question- Do you know what the law is regarding motorized bicycles? Do you have to have motorcycle endorsement to ride one? Are they legal to ride on the street? Thank you.
- Question- Is JPD aware of all the young kids in vehicles (mainly trucks and SUVs) who hang out in Mendenhall Mall parking lot(s), driving recklessly from one parking lot to the other across the street, and doing brodies to impress each other? We've nearly gotten hit a couple of times, especially out in front of the former Gottschalks area. Check there on weekday afternoons (4:30/5:00)...I'm sure a few citations could be written!!
- Question- I live in an area with many restaurant/bars/church hall where parking is at a premium. Several times I've had my driveway blocked by someone's car. What can I do to get the car removed?
- Question- Where I moved here from the police frequently performed road checkpoints, and these always seemed to result in a large number of warrant arrests along with other charges. But having lived here a decade have never seen or heard of one being performed here and was wondering why not?
- Question- I have a valid driving license. From time to time I forget to take my wallet with my license with me in the car. Does "driving without a valid license" refer to the legal possession of a license (such as not having it suspended by a court) or to the physical possession of a license in the car or both?
- Question- Is a "Driving without a license" a criminal offense or just a traffic violation like speeding?
- Question- What does the Police department recommend a driver do when somebody is following to close? On Douglas highway it happens more often than not!
- Question- Someone who lives on Columbia Blvd seems to think it is their right to park on the sidewalk (with at least one vehicle a night, sometimes more) when there is no parking on the street in that particular area. In addition, the vehicles that they do park in their driveway typically blocks the sidewalk as well. I have had to walk around their vehicles and sometimes even switch sides on many occasions because of their actions. As a citizen, what would be the proper way of handling this?
- Question- My husband recently got pulled over for "not wearing" his seat belt. He was wearing the lap belt though... Is it law that the driver of a vehicle must wear the shoulder belt also??
Also, looking at the ticket he was given for not carrying proof of insurance in the vehicle, I cannot tell how much the ticket cost is. Is there any way for me to find that out??