Ask a Dispatcher
Click the question to view the response.
- Question- If my sons father doesn't not have a car seat correctly installed can I refuse him taking him? And if the police is called after can they do anything?
- Question- If someone threatened you by saying I'll be on jail by Saturday if you don't get that chip off your shoulder and they have abused your mother in the past what do you do when you have to be there the whole weekend and your scared.
- Question- What are the laws regarding a person under 21 drinking alcohol under parental supervision in the parents home?
- Question- Can a minor child go on a ride along with one of JPD's officers? If so, how old do they have to be in order to be on the ride along legally? Thanks - Frustrated Parent
- Question- what is the law in alaska that shows at what age a child can legally be left home alone? (example: going home after school). Please provide a link with information about that law.
- Question- What do you do when you see small children sitting in a car all by themselves in a parking lot of a store?
- Question- I heard there was a man who was getting cell phone numbers through his job and was texting young teenager's phone numbers and calling or facebooking them later on.
- Question- Is it illegal to move your son out of the state?
I've had him all his life but don't technically have any custody papers through the court.
- Question- Our son is over one year old, which as I understand it, meets the legal requirement for facing his car seat forward. However, our car seat requires him to be 22lbs and 31in tall in addition to being one year old. Can we still face him forward, or do we have to wait until he meets the car seat specs?
- Question- After custody is made official in court, if the other parent refuses to give the child to the other parent during their court ordered time what are the legal options? Can cops never interfere even if there is court paperwork that says where the child has to be?
- Question- I have custody of my child on July 4th as part of my custody agreement. If my child's other parent doesn't make the child available for fireworks, as Wednesday is "not my day" or refuses to drop the child off after the event, is there any legal action that I can take?
If my child is held after the event, and the point is for the other parent to force me to wait to pick him up the next day on that parent's terms, then is there legally anything that I can do?
- Question- So my very close friend has parents that are just Hell bent on destroying her. So they took her to yet another evaluation appointment which is like the 3rd one where just like every other one, she was deemed mentally sane and normal. However, her parents argued with the two doctors for about an hour until finally they cracked and admitted her just to get them to stop. So my question is, is this legal to admit her to a psych ward without failing the psychological test?
- Question- There is a lady who lives on LaPerouse who is yelling at my kids and threatening them with calling the police because they are riding their bikes in the ditch which is city property. I'm tired of her yelling at my kids and getting confronted by her myself. What can be done about this?
- Question- What if a baby dady signs his rights over to the mother. And the mother wants pictures off from his facebook about the child. And the father isnt willing to do so. Is that ok by law? That he can leave them on. Even if the mother doesnt want him to put pictures on anything
- Question- My 17 yr old has recently been getting into trouble. 2x she had to be picked up by us. 1x for shoplifting & the latest for smoking pot w/ a bunch of friends. After taking all her privileges (ph/tv), grounding her & making her quit her job b/c of lying about wrk schedule, she now refuses to come home. She's been gone 2 days & finally called just to say she's ok but won't tell us her location. If we call her in as a runaway & she goes to cornerstone how long do they hold her & what's the $?
- Question- How do I report people illegally parked on my street? There is little to no enforcement it seems and it happens everyday. This is a high traffic zone for school children and it forces them to walk into the street (where other cars are parked) and creates a dangerous 'maze' effect.
- Question- This last week I was picking up my nieces at DZ. I was less than 5 minutes late they were walking down toward Walmart. When I pulled up, they were talking walking with a man he left, my nieces said he'd asked them to come with him. They knew better because of my Sisters safety training. Their mother and I have told them both to stay at the school until I get there or mother. I remember reading a paper about a year ago it was a man bothering young girls in the same area. My nieces are safe and know what to do now I think it should be spread around. It sure sounds like the same man, extra patrol when school gets out please
- Question- My daughter, 16, was supposed to be home by now, she left school with out permission, went to court with her boyfriend and his mom for his minor consuming. She called me from this number XXX-XXXX. When I called no one answers, on the message it sounds like a person named ######, what can i do and what can JPD do to help me?
- Question- I know someone who has been paying child support for 18+ years for a kid that isnt his. Is there anything the police can do to help him? Was there an alaska supreme court ruling that was turned into a statute or something like that that can be cited and used to assist the true VICTIM of the system?
- Question- I'm married to a man with a child. Him and his ex share custody although luckily they were able to work out a schedule without going through the court system. I've grown attached to this child and have been his step parent for several years now. My question is that if my husband were to die would I have any legal rights to the child?
- Question- I just read the warrant list and there is someone listed who was born in '98. I thought it was illegal to release an under aged person's name? Also, wouldn't the fault be on the parent/guardians? He is only 14. I feel like it should've been their responsibility to get him to the court house.
- Question- What is the law in Alaska that shows at what age a child can legally be left home alone? (example: going home after school). Please provide a link with information about that law.
- Question- Good job finding that missing boy! Thank you JPD for your hard work!
- Question- Is there a child missing in the Valley?...People are saying a seven year old is lost?
- Question- We have a 14 year old who thinks he's 20..and absolutely untouchable. We are concerned for his safety because he is falling into the wrong crowd. We are ready to do whatever we have to do to keep him safe. Is there anything that JPD can do to maybe scare him a little? A tour of the jail or of the JPD perhaps? Also, does JPD issue ankle tethers to parents that are requesting them? At this point, the only place we want him to go is to school.
- Question- How old until a kid can sit in a booster chair car seat?
- Question- Can you define 'jailbait' for the state of Alaska? There's plenty of girls I know who are 16 and are having sex with people over the age of 20, I was just wondering if once you hit the age of consent in Alaska you're permitted to do that. And under 16 too.. The law is confusing sometimes with its wording.
- Question- If a minor is within 6 months of their 18th birthday and they have been kicked out by their parents, who then file a runaway or missing persons report can said minor be forced to return to their parents home?
- Question- In Alaska, are you allowed to spank your child? In public?
- Question- A parent of one of the students in my son's class is a registered sex offender. Are sex offenders allowed in schools? Spending time in classrooms? Thanks.
- Question- There are supposedly "sugar" pills circulating around the schools and on school busses. Do you have any information on them and how are school bus drivers notified? I've heard they are white vitamin c tabs from Costco. It's still bad that they are being sold by kids to kids. Sets things up for later...
- Question- is this a real & true law? is it true that the legal parent can be charged with endangerment?
Sec. 11.51.100. Endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree(a) A person commits the crime of endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree if, being a parent, guardian, or other person legally charged with the care of a child under 16 years of age, the person
(1) intentionally deserts the child in a place under circumstances creating a substantial risk of physical injury to the child;
(2) leaves the child with another person who is not a parent, guardian, or lawful custodian of the child knowing that the person
(A) is registered or required to register as a sex offender under AS 12.63 or a law or ordinance in another jurisdiction with similar requirements;
(B) has been charged by complaint, information, or indictment with a violation of AS 11.41.410--11.41.455 or a law or ordinance in another jurisdiction with similar elements; or
(C) has been charged by complaint, information, or indictment with an attempt, solicitation, or conspiracy to commit a crime described in (B) of this paragraph; or
(3) leaves the child with another person knowing that the person has previously physically mistreated or had sexual contact with any child, and the other person causes physical injury or engages in sexual contact with the child.
has any parent been charged with this offence?
- Question- Just want to say what a good job the D.A.R.E. program and T.A.T.U. program has done with kids and smoking. I got out of high school not so long ago and most kids my age really hate just the smell of it and usually tease the kids who do smoke for smoking. Just goes to show that even eight years ago when I was in the fifth grade these prgrams were doing wonderful, can't imagine how well they must be doing now! Thank guys!
- Question- I'm thirty years old and happily married to a wonderful man and have great kids. Only problem is that he's a registered sex offender. He was eighteen and knocked up his fifteen-year-old girlfriend, and her parent's pressed charges. Is there anyway to get his name taken off this awful list? We've been kicked out of neighborhoods countless times, he can't get good jobs, our kids have trouble making friends because no one wants their children staying over at our house; all because no one really bothers to take the time to look up what kind of sex offender he is listed as. I feel that people in these situations end up being labeled as perverts and pedofiles when he really didn't commit much of a crime. Any way to help this situation?
- Question- I know of a registered sex offender who was recently evicted. He is homeless and I'm 95% sure he hasn't notified anyone that he has left that residence. Is that illegal and if so how can I go about reporting him?
- Question- Thank you for making an arrest in the Rian Orr case and letting us know!
- Question- What do the police do if you are notified of a unsupervised party involving drinking, drugs and minors?
- Question- When someone gets arrested, for anything (mc, false information, DUI), do you guys ever look into the fact that they have a child
At home? Or is that conpletely irrelevant to you guys? I
Know a mom that has been arrested 3 times within a few months and the dad also the dad for DUI. this is not a good home for the child at all. I guess what I'm asking is if behavior causing you to get arrested several times, enough to make a report to OCS or does the child have to be directly harmed?
- Question- I have a 2 car seats and a booster chair that I was looking to get rid of. I was going to consign them but was told they can't accept them. I then thought about danating them but sounds to me like they won't be accepted. What can one do with used car seats and booter seats? I worry that they may not even sell at a garage sale or on juneau parents ect. They are all nice and have never been involved in any accidents. I'd hate to have to send several hunderd dollars of items to the dump!!
- Question- Why is there a child molester living ....(location removed)?
Dont kids play (near there).... isnt it a little silly to let a rapist SLEEP in the same area that children are bound to play?
Is this legal?
- Question- I was texted that a 14 yo girl was found dead by a middle school, and for women to be careful and stay in groups. Is there any truth to this death report?
- Question- is Juneau a safe community to raise a family? Dont teenagers get bored and resort to partying and illegal activity?
- Question- Alright, me & a friend signed a lease and was pro-rated a trailer out in N. Douglas, and when we originally looked at it, it was nice inside, but it had all of the landlord's furniture in it. We met with her at her other house downtown and signed a 6 month lease and gave her $500 for a "Cleaning deposit (Non refundable)" and roughly $677 prorate. We get to the place a day later and it's completely filthy. Nothing was cleaned, there was mold on the walls and cigarette butts left everywhere. It was clearly not touched other than to move her things out. So we call her and tell her it's not livable and we would like our money back. We even said to just give us $1000, out of the $1177 for her time wasted. She offered to give us the deposit back, but I'd rather have it all. She gave us $250 about two weeks ago and said "I'll bring you the other $250 the first of Nov." So we let it go from there.. I called her today and she very rudely answered and said "We decided you can just take us to court. Good luck! Bye!" and hung up on me.. Basically I'm wondering if I have anything to back up a suit on this? I have photos of the disgusting place, and really it's not livable and she has children that live in the mold infested trailer 6 months of the year and it's really not healthy. Should I take this higher?
- Question- Was anybody charged with the death of Rian Orr? I read the report from 8/15, but there was no further update. I'm just curious what happend with the case? That poor baby.
- Question- I frequently go on walks with my kids and dog around the Riverside Dr. to Back Loop Rd area. A couple of times I have noticed kids (teenagers) hanging around in the bushes near the Mendenhall Elementary School playground. At first I didn't see it to be a big deal, but the other day, I stumbled upon two kids participating in sexual activities. They didn't even care that I was walking by with my child. I know these are teenagers and that's what they do, but to be doing something like that in a place where young children play is unacceptable. Is there any way JPD could patrol those types of areas? God forbid those kids do anything to the children that play around there.
- Question- Whatever happened to enforcing the ordinance signed in 2005 for persons under 18 years of age not wearing bike helmets? I see an awful lot of kids (mostly middle school aged) not wearing helmets. Now I am having a really hard time enforcing it with my middle schooler. Is there any way to get this enforced?
What is the best approach to get middle & high schoolers to wear their helmets? They won't listen to their parents!
- Question- I would like to know if Juneau Police is going to release anymore information about Rian Orr? The infant who was according to the press release abused to death. Such a sad situation and I think Juneau Residents would like to know if the people responsible are being held responsible?
- Question- Is a minor under the age of 18 legally allowed to live on their own if they choose to? Is a parent legally responsible for their child until they turn 18?
- Question- What are the steps we need to take to insure that these children's welfare are looked into?
Recently I called Child protective services on the kids in our neighborhood. They then informed me that they could not do anything since we did not have a name of the parents. I then called you guys, and let you know that there were kids running wild here in the park, all young kids with no parents. Running in and out of traffic, climbing in and out of parked vehicles, six year olds watching three year olds....basically every REAL parents nightmares! We did not see any officer respond...and then about two or three hours later, a child was hit by a car. and of course the mother here was too busy with her own life to take her kid into the ER. This woman should seriously not be raising children.
- Question- If my 9 year old was going to be home alone after school until I get home from work (2:45 pm to 5 pm), can I get in trouble for that? Is there a legal age when children are allowed to be at home alone?
- Question- If I have a concern about a child's well-being, for example lots of traffic in and out of the house, parties going on while the child is home or the child playing outside very early or very late at night, who would I contact?
- Question- I was out making my rounds last night and saw that there seemed to be something special going on at Subway here in the valley. Looked to be quite a few officers with their racks light up and shotguns out. I didnt read anything on the bulletin about anything of this nature and was wondering if you could shed some light on this?
- Question- What can I do if the people that live across the street from me swear and yell at my kids when a ball accidentally goes into their yard?
- Question- I live close to Hidden Park. I have a neighbor whom was arrested several months ago for asking young girls to get in his car. He was also arrested recently for a DWI, and not following his probation's. This man continually talks to children and walks from his house to Hidden Park multiple times a day. I have seen him bringing a branch or some sticks with him so that he can throw them in the woods near the park. Lately, my children have noticed him walking on other surrounding streets that are active with children. I am almost tempted to follow him to see what he is doing, is this okay?
- Question- Where in Juneau can a teenager legally ride a go-cart?
- Question- Is there any truth beyond this? I have heard reports about a man hiding out in the trees at Hidden Park (on Mendenhall Blvd) and using a child to lure other kids into the trees for him. This man may be armed as well.
I don't know how true this story is but I figured I would ask since this rumor is spreading very quickly.
- Question- Are there laws relating to pellet/bb guns? Distance from road, etc?
- Question- My children will be visiting their father (my ex) soon. They are both under the age of 9. My concern is that he will not let me speak with them via telephone (I live in a different state). How can check on them if this happens?
- Question- Good Morning,
I was wondering if the Juneau Police Department was still looking for an "SUV type vehicle" with spray paint black color and tinted windows? This vehicle was seen approaching some kids at the end of February and asking them if they wanted a ride. Not sure if this problem has been resolved. But I saw a 1990-96 Chevy Blazer fitting this exact description yesterday. I have the license plate number if this is still an ongoing investigation.
- Question- Is the person answering all these questions Glenn's mom?
- Question- Do you know something about a missing twelve year old girl this afternoon and evening?
- Question- What is the allowable age difference in adults dating teens? For instance, is an 18 yr old legally allowed to date a 15 yr old?
- Question- Is it ok to use spanking for disciplining your child? With your hand? With a wooden spoon?
- Question- I believe that my daughter is being baited by her soon to be ex-husband into entering the house to get the kids. He told her if she wanted them she had to come in and get them. There is no child custody agreement at this time. They just have a verbal agreement and has been okay until now.
I know that there is nothing that can be done but I am afraid something is going to happen tonight because he is breaking their verbal aggrement. I believe he wants to get her arrested for trespassing so he looks better in court for child custody. Just want someone to be aware of the situation just in case.
- Question- I hope to prevent an accident at the end of St. Ann's Ave - in the 300 block. Parents allow and even participate with their children to play in the street. The last few evenings they have had baseball games, causing traffic to slow, stop, and change lanes to avoid hitting children. These are great families and kids, so I don't understand why they take the risk, especially since they are located right above a number of empty playgrounds and baseball diamonds. I am hoping you can forward this to a patrol officer who maybe able (I know they are busy!) to drive by and give them some education in this matter. At this time their are eight kids playing baseball right in the road - without a parent.
- Question- I recently saw a woman in a parking lot screaming and hitting her very young child. Another person stepped in and tried to calm the lady down. It worked for a few minutes but we were all very concerned for the child's safety. Who can I call if I see something like this again? If we don't know the person's name, what can we provide for someone to check on the child?
- Question- What are the laws regarding kids under 16 riding dirt bikes, 4-wheelers and snow machines on neighborhood city streets?
- Question- At what point does a non-communicative 20 year old daughter become a missing person and merit an official report?
- Question- Someone hung a basketball hoop on a telephone pole on a corner that is not a cul-de-sac. Cars drive around this corner and often have to disperse the kids on nice days in order to pass through. This seems extremely dangerous and I am concerned someone is going to get hit, especially if a driver is rushing or speeding around that corner. Is it against the law to hang objects on telephone poles? There is a playground two blocks away with covered basketball areas.
- Question- I have a family that needs a car seat for riding in a cab. Where can they get a car seat?