Ask a Dispatcher
Click on the question to view the answer.
- Question- I work downtown. Now that the tourists are gone, you'd think it'd be quieter. It gets really old having to hear the drunks down on the street talking as loud as they can, either being jovial or, more often cussing and fighting. It goes on all day long. They stand around with open containers and shout the 'F' word and threaten each other constantly. I don't feel comfortable walking down the street alone in the off season for fear of being accosted. (Which has happened more times than I can count over the years) Will anything ever actually be done about the downtown situation with drunk people or is it just something to be accepted?
- Question- If a person has been indicted of a crime, but their trial isn't for a few months, can they still travel out of state for a two week vacation?
- Question- How many calls do you answer every hour?
- Question- How do I file a lost item report?
- Question- HAS THE SHOP LIFTER OF SEQUENCE SKATE SHOP BEEN CAUGHT YET
- Question- What do I file if someone owes me $1400? His on my cell phone account & keeps saying he will pay me money but never does... Its $1400 total with cost of phone that's still left of $600 & what he owes for bill of $800... This is only rounded off... Not down to the dollar... Just need to know where to start for help please
- Question- Is parking on the sidewalk illegal? Is parking on Rivercourt Way and on Meander (both sides) legal? I ask because there seems to be a problem on Rivercourt Way and on Meander with people constantly blocking traffic by parking on both sides of the street, which doesn’t leave room for cars to pass by. There are not any signs that say you can’t park there – so people do. They also regularly (every day) parking on the sidewalk even though that sidewalk is a safe routes to school sidewalk. There are a lot of kids that play outside in their yards on Rivercourt and it is difficult for them to be seen or see because of the big vehicles up and down the street especially when they are parked on the sidewalk. We are scared are not safe in this situation. Would you please increase patrols there especially in the afternoon and early morning? Thanks,
- Question- This summer a nice family bought the house at *******. The family and their friends are left to play in the cul-de-sac and entirety of all paved areas of the street itself along with many of the neighbor’s front lawns and driveways.
I hope to prevent an accident on the street. The parents at this home allow and even participate with their children to play in the street. The last few evenings they have had baseball games, causing traffic to slow, stop to avoid hitting children or be hit by a flying baseball. Just last week, I saw one of the boys accidentally hit a truck with a baseball. This summer they have used the street to play baseball, football, kickball, drone flying, helmetless skateboarding, biking, and log roll riding – yes, running on a log down the street. Not once have we seen the kids yield to traffic. They continue in the middle of the street, sometimes pausing there to watch the cars try to avoid them. We are worried that one of the neighbors or visitors will not see them in the street.
This is a nice family, so I don't understand why they take the risk, especially since they are located right across the street from a park, just down the street from a sports complex and since we get quite a bit of drive-by traffic for a cul-de-sac. I am hoping you can forward this to a patrol officer who may be able (I know they are busy!) to drive by and give them some education in this matter.
- Question- JPD officers were recently pulling people over who were turning into Floyd Dryden for entering the center turning lane "5 seconds too early" and when there was "one car already in the lane." What are the rules regarding use of the center lane? The Alaska Driver's manual makes no mention of a limit to the number of cars in the center lane and how soon one has to enter the lane.
- Question- What are the hours of operation for jpd
- Question- There's this Blue Bus that is parked on Rossway Street/ Behrends Ave for 3 weeks now! I reported this to JPD 3x,and my neighbors has reported it too. What's going on and why can't JPD get this Bus remove on our street? JPD has issued an orange tag and last Sunday the person that own the bus remove the orange tag and back the bus a few feet back. His 48 hrs parking limit has gone to 3 weeks parking and looks like his camping/ living on hour street.Bus has a Washington Plate w/ an expired tag, has been living /parked on our streets for 3 weeks now and this are 2 violations. As a longtime resident of this streets I need to know what's JPD going to do w/ this nuisance.
- Question- Is it illegal to drive a vehicle in Juneau without a windshield? They have plastic (visqueen) in place of the glass. I just worry about visibility and how safe this is.
- Question- Okay if I'm 16 and next week I turn 17 am I counted as an adult In Texas?...is it possible for me to leave my guardian and live with someone else
- Question- This question is regarding the traffic light on Mendenhall Loop Road, that intersects with Mendenhall Boulevard and Valley Boulevard.
The people making a left from Valley Boulevard onto Mendenhall Loop Road have a "Left Turn Yield on Green" when their signal turns green. When there are cars making a right from Mendenhall Boulevard onto Mendenhall Loop Road, they have a green light. Do the cars from Valley Boulevard need to yield to these cars? I am asking because the Valley Blvd cars never seem to yield to the Mendenhall Blvd cars, and I feel they should.
- Question- Thanks so much for placing the speed trailer near Glacier Valley Elementary on Tongass Blvd recently!! Would it be possible to also place the speed trailer and/or ask for additional patrols on Tongass Blvd between Gail Ave and Hayes Way? This area (long and straight) really attracts inconsiderate drivers who apparently believe the 20 MPH speed limit is too slow. PLEASE do something to discourage people from driving twice the legal speed limit in this residential area. Thanks, a concerned Juneau citizen.
- Question- When a report is filed online as information only what happens after it is given a tracking number ? What about necessities on your end ? Known recommended procedure ? How are life endangerment related information only reports handled ? How quick ? Suppose it wants privacy .
- Question- Is there a more private way of asking questions related to cases, and especially if I need to be anonymous ?
- Question- "Dear Juneau Resident,
You are not breaking any laws or ordinances but any patrol or community service officer that sees you sleeping in a car would be expected to check on you. As public safety officers we have to be concerned that someone is having a medical emergency, might be intoxicated, has been harmed by someone else... Officers are expected not to assume someone is just on a lunch break and taking a nap. Officers are relieved if that turns out to be the situation.
I understand you probably don't appreciate the interruption but you can understand why an officer can't take the chance of having driven by and not checked on someone who turned out to be in distress or be a danger to themselves or others. The officer would feel terrible if that happened not to mention the huge liability that would fall on JPD."
Just wanted to say, I was not and would not be annoyed at all. I would much rather be checked on to make sure I was ok than just ignored if I was in medical distress or something. I just have read of some cities down south having ordinances against sleeping in cars. Wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here.
Thanks for the job you do. I know it's not easy.
- Question- Each morning when taking my kids to Glacier Valley Elementary, people drive down the center turn lane instead of waiting in traffic. This is in the direction from Floyd Dryden to either Tongass or Dudley Street. They often go through the sections where people would be using the turn lane to turn either from Mendenhall Loop or onto Mendenhall Loop. Is driving down the turn lane and through turn sections legal?
- Question- If there is no oncoming traffic at all, is it legal to make a U-Turn by the Nugget Mall/McDonald's intersection, switching from outbound to inbound?
- Question- Our across the street neighbors have put their mailbox in front of our house on the street. It is not built to code per the post office for a mailbox to be on the side of the street without a sidewalk and despite our asking them to move it, they just brush it off. Who do we talk to about getting this resolved or do we just wait for the snow plow to come bowl it over assuming we get snow this year?
- Question- When is the next police auction going to be?
- Question- thanks for adding a police officer to the Auke Bay School zone, I witness speeders everyday!
- Question- How do I anonomously report a drunk driver?
- Question- Does jpd compile a list of traffic tickets by violation and where their written? I recently made the mistake of going downtown,we just moved up from seattle,i have disabled tags on the van as well as the placard hanging from the rear-view mirror,parked in a handicapped spot and got a ticket for parking there.Yet their seems to be a free for all for parking spaces every where else in this town,except downtown itself.And whilst driving around to see whats what we came up with a fun family game.Count the number of cars with expired tags and parked in handicapped spots.Needless to say it was alot.
- Question- Hi I have a neighbor that keeps complaining I have too many lights on my property and I don't believe I do. is there a city ordinance or law that's has to do with lighting your property. I have a pretty big area and are just motion sensor security lights. I believe I should have the right to see what's going on, on my property thank you
- Question- The cell phone number I have must have previously belonged to somebody who signed up to get messages on this number, I do not need to get text messages on this number from you. How do I stop receiving messages. The text comes from 40404. Thanks
- Question- I was recently a passenger in a vehicle pulled over because the tail pipe was almost dragging. While the driver was asked to provide their license, registration and proof of insurance, I (as a passenger) was also asked to provide my ID. In a routine traffic stop, are passengers required to show identification and do I have the right to refuse the request?
- Question- If someone is directly harassing me. What can I do?
- Question- I was on my lunch break the other day parked on a pullout down Thane Road, and a community service officer pulled over to check and see if I was sleeping in my car. I wasn't, just reading a book on my phone, and there was no problem or ticket or anything.
I can appreciate how sleeping might be seen as being passed out or something, but if I were to take a 45 minute nap in my car on my lunch break, am I breaking any laws or ordinances?
- Question- Did JPD or the FBI ever catch the person(s) that were calling the schools last year and making threats? Is there any updated information on that case?
- Question- On August 18th at approximately 2 PM while walking my dog (on leash) I witnessed an adult with a child riding a 4 wheeler at a high rate of speed on Skater's Cabin road going toward the West Glacier trail parking lot. This 4 wheeler came off of Montana Creek road. This 4 wheeler passed the JPD Community Service Officer (driving in the opposite direction) just before the second turn to Arctic Circle. I continued walking and saw this 4 wheeler parked at the cabin parking lot (on the grass not in a prescribe space). The CSO returned to the area - but did not stop. Why not? I thought it was illegal to operate a 4 wheeler on the road. This adult is displaying poor parenting as well.
- Question- If employees, two young girls, are belittled, in front of customers to where th eye are crying, do they have any recourse to keep it from happening again?
- Question- I live on Tongass Blvd and rarely see the 20MPH speed limit obeyed. As a matter of fact some drivers speed blatantly (some while texting) without regard for kids, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Can anything be done to get the message across to speeders? I fear for children who will soon be walking along Tongass on their way to the elementary school. This problem is especially apparent and pronounced during the evening "rush hour" between 5-6pm. Perhaps a speed "trailer" to advise drivers about their speed and the posted speed limit or an officer giving out tickets? Please help.
- Question- Is it illegal to live in an RV on private property (with the property owners permission)?
- Question- jpd phone number is not working is is it still 586-0600
- Question- Hello, How can we get a Block party on our street next year? Who do we need to contact to have this done and have the firemen and police officers attend? I attended one out in the valley but we live on Second St in Douglas and was just curious how we go about requesting this. Thank you for your time. Please know we truly appreciate all the hard work every one at the Juneau Police Department does.
- Question- If I have a parking ticket and lost the paperwork is there a way for me to call someone and find out how much I owe and how to pay? I don't remember the court date and would really like to just pay the ticket...
- Question- What should I do if I see/find someone to be in possession of my stolen property?
- Question- someone stole the tags off my car. what should I do?
- Question- Are color changing headlights illegal?
- Question- So I can carry a gun or a switchblade with no issue but an inert piece of brass is a felony? Makes perfect sense.
- Question- What if any is the penalty for carrying brass knuckles or using them in self-defense?
- Question- Hi! I need a police check to use when I apply for housesitting jobs. How can I get that? How long would it take? Thanks!
- Question- It's that time of year again for people speeding in neighborhoods. I live on Northland Street and constantly see vehicles speeding. I fear for that any of the children that live and play on that street will get hit. Is there anything that can be done?
- Question- Query about the upcoming auction:If their are so many cars why doesn't jpd have an online auction.It would save a lot of money by not having to tow the cars from impound to the lot.Some site like public surplus comes to mind,or bidadoo.
- Question- when will the list for the auto auction be updated?
- Question- Why isnt there any information on the man going crazy at Chinook apartments the other day?
- Question- Why are we missing reports from every third day in daily bulletin? 7/4, 7/6 and 7/10 were not released. Could we still get those?
- Question- Any word on when the auto auction is going to be?
- Question- Hi
My neighbor in my apartment complex (Mendnehall Towers) plays his music so loud and with bass boost next to my wall it wakes me up. He/she won't respond to my requests to turn it down, and the apartment landlord is not available during the late night/early morning hours. Should I make a noise complaint to JPD or is this still a tenant/landlord dispute situation?
- Question- Is there any sort of law against roosters in residential areas? I live in the valley and one of the people on my street owns a rooster. Due to his crowing during the wee hours of the morning (and all throughout the day), my neighbors and I were wondering if that was even allowed.
- Question- If I see an extremely inebriated person downtown, who should I notify?
- Question- What can Police do to respond to threats sent via digital media? Specifically Twitter, Facebook, text, or video that actually threatens to do harm or harass a person.
What can people do to adequately report threats or harassment via digital media and what kind of response would JPD have for such threats or harassment?
- Question- Are there any dates for the next car auction?
- Question- What is the maximum height of a vehicle or trailer that cab used without a permit
- Question- Can JPD help my family with purchasing bikes?
- Question- I have information on a fugitive that does not have a warrant I need to communicate this is there a non emergency number I can call or do I have to wait for the warrant to be issued. The suspect is very well known to you **************.
- Question- I need to report a house that is in an unlivable and dangerous condition. Which Department should I call? Thank you
- Question- I was recently pulled over by a trooper for not having a front license plate on my truck. I went to an auto shop and found a license plate cover that is smoked out so visibility of the plate numbers is not great. Can I still get pulled over if the officer cannot make out the numbers on the plate?
- Question- What amount of time must elapse before you can file a missing person report? Have you heard from a woman named ***** ******? She was supposed to meet a friend at the ferry this morning and didn't, and that person has her phone so has no way of knowing if ******* is ok.
- Question- Is there anything I can do if my ex bought me a vehicle for our kids since he filed them on his taxes and I've had them more then him. And now he's taking the car and selling it?? Is there anything I can do to stop him from leaving his kids with out a vehicle
- Question- My question concerns noise and garbage/bear issues. I understand that there is a good reason for not putting your garbage out before 4 AM due to the bears issue, however trash should not be permitted to be picked up prior to 7 am!
This morning our trash was picked up at 6:45. Most folks did not have their trash cans out yet. The cans are sitting out now just waiting for bears because the truck came so early.
Garbage trucks would seem to be a clear violation of the noise ordinance with their mechanical lifting arms and banging cans and loud trucks. There is no reason they have to start that early. I get that sweepers need cars off the road but do we really have to set alarms to put our trash out by 6 AM? Again, no reason trash needs to be picked up at 6 AM!
- Question- Isn't it illegal for a business to remove (no parking fire zone) signs and replace them with parking for another business.Handicap parking is bad enough at walmart without having to dodge taxi's, shuttles.
- Question- What rights do cruise ships have concerning loud speakers and music?
I live in Douglas and can often hear announcements and music audibly from cruise ships while they are docked in the late evening.
- Question- There was no bulletin posting for 5/15 or 5/27, can we get one please?
- Question- When a pawn shop, gold buyer, &or, used sports equipment business gets a bicycle on cosignment or to resell do they have to report the serial number??
- Question- does the police department do finger printing for teacher license applicants?
- Question- I just wanted to write a quick note in regards to today's "letter from the publisher" published online and in print in Today's Empire about their decision to stop reporting on these threatening phonecalls the schools have been receiving. At any time did JPD ask the empire to stop/minimize their reporting on the issue?
Thank you for your time,
- Question- Yay! The weather has been beautiful! And with the sunshine the temps are rising! My question is, what if I see an animal or child/baby in an unattended car on a hot day? Obviously JPD will respond if it's a child, but will they respond for an animal? Do I call animal control? In either situation can I break a window if they are in urgent distress? (If the doors are locked of course!) There was a case in the news today where a man was cited in Georgia for breaking a window to rescue a dog. Would I be subject to arrest or citation in Juneau?
- Question- I have seen many accidents due to cars not having working turn signals. Also noticed many cars with no working head lights. Was wondering why JPD is not ticketing these folks? Have watched JPD sit right behind or pass vehicles with broken (not working) lights.. Have the laws changed?
- Question- What can be done about excessive speeding in a residential neighborhood? The speed limit is 20 mph and posted, and the people are running stop signs. Several neighbors have asked them to slow down, and it isn't seeming to get us anywhere.
- Question- Is it legal to have over the counter medication from another country mailed here? Such as 222's from Canada?
Also, is there a way to search previously posted questions for like information rather than repeat a question?
- Question- Is there a way for teens to job shadow an officer for work experience in this field?
- Question- When will the next auto auction be
- Question- I received several harassing phone calls and voice mails from a local cell number. The calls began at 3:35 am, waking me up and continued for over an hour. The caller was also sending harassing text messages. I told the caller he had the wrong number (I have no idea who the hell this person is) and he became furious, saying he got this number from someone who runs a prostitution ring. I need to know what I need to do to report this.
- Question- How long would someone typically wait to see there question posted??? I posted a question several days ago and no answer yet. But I see a question got answered same day 5/4/15????
- Question- Hi
I am curious about a living situation that I herd of. Say you have two people renting a house and one roommate has some questionable people over that might have illegal stuff. And down the road if the cops execute a search warrant on that place, say they find illegal stuff in the common areas and one of the rooms. Will the other person that’s renting the other room be charged with anything or held responsible if there room had no illegal stuff in it?
- Question- A request: The park adjacent to the new downtown parking garage may be turning the new pocket park. I saw several open containers there today as I passed through. It is my hope that the police will patrol this area.
- Question- the 27th at 1530. There was about 7 +- JPD vehicles on Riverwood the officers where at the low ready with body armor. With them having that level of personal protection why was the street still open to traffic.
- Question- Hi
Yesterday 4-27-2015 about noon a car ran off road in Lemon Creek
and damaged our fence. When I went back to see what was going on
the officer would only say it was a drunk driver and went to his
vehicle. No officer has contacted us as to the incident or what
we can do to get our fence fixed. What is our next step to get
our fence fixed.
- Question- Someone has come on to my private property, opened my shed that has a bar across it, and placed their dog waste in a bag into my garbage can without my permission. Besides the garbage cans in the shed, I have tools and other stuff. I believe this person is breaking and entering. What recourse do I have?
- Question- Does the police department ever cite cyclists that ride on the wrong side of the street in the wrong direction or don't follow traffic rules? I know that there is a pro biking sentiment in this city but I have encountered numerous people on cycles that don't signal, don't stop at stop signs etc. Is there somewhere that says what they have to do to be on the streets? and is it enforced?
- Question- Can school buses use private driveways to turn around and block people that are living in the house?
- Question- Will JPD be doing the block parties again this year (sorry, can't remember exactly what they're called)?
- Question- Hi,
I'm looking for some historical JPD DUI statistics and the most recent report I can find in for 2011. What are the numbers for 2012 - 2014?
- Question- Can you post Stephen Richards for extra patrol? I was walking with my toddler to Rotary Park the other day and at least a dozen cars raced down the street. Most of them were teenagers so maybe start after school gets out?
- Question- When is the next car auction?
- Question- I'm having an issue where the cop is doing something illegal and borderline domestic abuse and my only recourse is to call the police to deal with the situation - is there any way I can do this without the policeman losing his job?
- Question- I live near JDHS and the curbs on either side of my driveway are painted yellow (although mostly worn off). Cars constantly are parked in the yellow and make it difficult and dangerous to turn in/out onto the road since the sight distance is limited. Is there something I can do?
- Question- A counselor, *********, told me that you can take weapons for safekeeping. What does that entail? How are they retrieved? A suicidal adult left 2 loaded pistols, ammunition, and a knife in my home and he is not safe to get them back yet. I do not want to be accused of theft while trying to keep him safe from himself.
- Question- Everyone knows JPD pulls people over for driving over the speed limit. What about the people who are going significantly below the speed limit (10+ miles below)? Is JPD going to start pulling over those drivers? They cause a traffic hazard and can easily cause an accident by driving so much slower than the flow of traffic.
- Question- Re Case No. 150326-003, Domestic Dispute on block of 8400 Thunder Mt. Road. Can you give me the names of the parties involved?
- Question- Would it possible to have an officer check the Tongass Blvd area for speeders going over 20mph between from 5-6 pm on weeknights? A lot of drivers use Tongass as a shortcut from Nancy St to Short Ct when Mendenhall Loop road gets backed up after work. It's especially bad between Gail Ave and the elementary school at Tongass and Trinity.
- Question- Would this be something you could be pulled over for? There have been times where I have parked at the Hangar on the Wharf parking lot, and it would have been easier to drive my SUV forward across the sidewalk into the street than it would be to back out in the crowded slick wooden plank lot where people park at all angles. I haven't done so because it seems like the kind of thing you could be pulled over for, but if there are no pedestrians, is it legal to drive over the sidewalk to access the street? There are no concrete parking stoppers or anything barring access.
- Question- Are the new Ford Interceptor police cruisers equipped with dash cameras?
- Question- What questions should I ask in a larceny from a building call?
- Question- When is the next impound auction??
- Question- it seems that this section has fallen by the wayside. it used to be updated frequently but now it seems to go weeks with no updates. whats up?
- Question- I live on Lupine lane a cup-de-sac I have three children of my own and between the 6 houses there are over 15 children total. My neighbor had a dance studio and we get over 20 vehicles in and out flying because they're running late to drop off there kids to dance class. One day they are going to run one of our children over what can we do? For three years we have verbally asked now it's time for some action please help
- Question- can you call a local police department to ask a question? or are they expecting it to be a crime report?
- Question- When can I find out if my car was impounded?
- Question- i have a house trailer on wheels that i would like to park in my yard next to my garage. is that ok?
- Question- Are mud flaps required on vehicles by law? Saw a new episode of Alaska Troopers where the Traoper stopped a car for lack of mud flaps.
- Question- Q. I am curious ---
This has nothing to do with any law that has been broken. I was just curious. I have asked many people their interpretation of the law but can't seem to find a way to decisively answer the question. After all this is my argument :) -
If one is intoxicated and falls asleep in their car with the keys in their pocket even though the car is not started it is against the law and a DUI will be. So, if the keys are not in the car which makes it none mobile but you have a way to start it to stay warm yet can't drive it - then why would it be against the law?
This is just a question I have argued with many friends. I don't think it would be against the law since the keys are not in the car.
PS - I don't ever drive while intoxicated - I always take a cab.
Also - thanks for your response and I am curious if you can give a definitive response :)
If one goes to the bar during the winter and becomes intoxicated then goes to their car at bar close takes their keys and locks them in the trunk or under the hood or whatever but keeps the auto-start key; would it be legal for them to then sit in their vehicle auto start their vehicle to keep it warm while they sleep the night away. Of course, starting the car periodically to keep it warm inside so not to freeze to death. The keys to make the vehicle mobile are locked outside of the vehicle so there is no way for the car to actually move.
- Question- Feb. 16 and 26 are missing on the bulletin, and this seems to happen at least once or twice a month. Do missed days eventually get posted?
- Question- I am curious ---
If one goes to the bar during the winter and becomes intoxicated then goes to their car at bar close takes their keys and locks them in the trunk or under the hood or whatever but keeps the auto-start key; would it be legal for them to then sit in their vehicle auto start their vehicle to keep it warm while they sleep the night away. Of course starting the car periodically to keep it warm inside so not to freeze to death. The keys to make the vehicle mobile are locked outside of the vehicle so there is no way for the car to actually move.
- Question- Hi - if a spouse in a divorce takes a car (pre-marital vehicle) that was owned by the other and removes the motor and rear axle off of it so it can't be driven wouldn't that be against the law (vandalize? The car was owned prior to the marriage so its not part of the divorce. To add extra wouldn't his attorney be unethical to say that you "JPD" won't enforce this crime since the two people are in a divorce? After all - a crime is a crime rather it be during a divorce or not. :) Thanks -
- Question- Private firearm purchases - if I provide serial no.'s beforehand, can you tell me if they're stolen?
- Question- Just wondering if there was ever any conclusion to the Payless robbery?
- Question- Are mug shots taken at JPD public information. I am interested in getting a picure for identifying purposes.
- Question- Was told by a dispatcher that they could not tow an abandoned vehicle from private property. Why?
"The owner of private property on which a vehicle has been abandoned, may request in writing to the municipality, that the vehicle be removed (AS 28.11.030)" -DMV website
- Question- Hello, a phone was found in the office parking lot and has not been claimed. Can it be turned in to the police department?
- Question- Just wondering whatever happened with the person who was driving the 1996 White suburban,that hit a light pole on Egan after leaving Riverside Drive? Was the driver located?
- Question- If my sons father doesn't not have a car seat correctly installed can I refuse him taking him? And if the police is called after can they do anything?
- Question- Is it against the law if a 16 yr old boy dates a 14 yr old girl?
- Question- I am seeing a lot of trash cans being put out the night before trash pick-up is scheduled. I thought cans couldn't go out until after 4am. Has that changed? I'd love to be able to put our can out before going to bed at night instead of having to wake up at 6 to make sure it goes out before the truck comes.
- Question- A friend's vehicle was backed into and required extensive repairs but she didn't file a report with JPD. Aren't all vehicle accidents required by law to be reported to JPD?
- Question- It is not really a question as much as an idea --- I think JPD, Troopers should open up the Shop with a Cop for kids outside the low income group. I think parents of kids that are not in the low income range would be willing to cover the cost or gifts and such for the experience, all children not just ones in poverty need to learn cops are not scary. My son is 5 he is special needs and he loves everything cops. One day an officer came to ask us to move some cars (too many people at family dinner) my son was so thrilled and talked about him for days. But we are not low income, we don't get shop with a cop, we don't get the christmas parade on our street (( I think this would have been better served down main streets so everyone could have gotten to it )).
I think it's important to remember all kids... ones with money and ones without. They don't see you differently, why should you? Just need to think outside the box as to how to make that happen.
- Question- How do I report a cyber crime, Im not even sure its a a cyber crime, I got a phone call from some one claim to be from Publishers CLearing House, and I won Money, BUt they wanted they wanted me to Get a Green DOt card, they wanted 300 dollars, I have there number and they tried calling me again, The said the could get my address if needed. What should I do
- Question- Not sure if you are the ones to ask but I just bought a house in town, can I keep chickens in my yard? With a coop of course thank you for your time
- Question- What methods do you guys use to ensure a safe envirement for tourists and the people living there? school project...
- Question- Does the police department enforce Chapter 49.45 of municipal code?
Can I remove a neighbor's "no trespassing" sign that is leaning against my fence facing my yard? (there are 3 of them and one hits my fence.) Thanks for any information you can provide.
- Question- There are multiple RVs and vehicles parked on the corner of Almalga street off of Valley, making it basically one lane driving. With the snow and ice makes it harder to manuever around. Do I have to file a formal complaint for this to be taken care of?
- Question- IF I AM A VICTIM IN DOM ASSUALT AND BATTERY CASE AND THE OFFICER PRESSED CHARGES DO I HAVE TO GO TO COURT
- Question- Can something be done with the people who are driving outbound in the evening with their headlights off? I don't want to be the one who changes lanes into one of these idiots with their lights off.
- Question- Where is firearm use legal? Other than the gun range...
- Question- I often see people tossing thier cigarette butts out of moving vehicles. Can I perform a citizen's arrest for littering?
- Question- Is it legal to put down your own dog? Can a firearm be used?
- Question- Can I schedule a Ride A Long with an Officer?
- Question- My husband and I own a trailer home. This past weekend the manager of the park told us there has been extensive drug dealing occurring. How can we get copies of police reports for a certain address?
- Question- I live on riverside dr. There is no street parking on riverside although there has been cars parked on the street at ****** riverside. Can you please ask an officer to take action?
- Question- Can I report a dangerous driver on the road?
- Question- I reported a possibly drunk person passed out in a van at cedar park yesterday and was just wondering what became of him
- Question- Juneau CHARR sponsored Free Rides home last night 10/31/14 for Halloween. I am wondering if there were any DUIs?
- Question- JPD AND CCFR rock!
Amazed at the professionalism and skills you all have.
Thank you for keeping us safe and adding value to our community
- Question- there is a person living in an Airstream trailer on the corner of Davis Patty and lund Street. I'm pretty sure this is against city code and would like this enforced. This person also has so many vehicles in their yard and driveway that they cannot park the three vehicles on in their driveway. They are blocking the stop sign on the corner as well. Could you have somebody looking into this issue. Thank you for this forum?
- Question- is there a city ordinance against parking against the flow of traffic. There is a situation on the corner of Lund Street and Davis where three or four vehicles park against the flow of traffic online creating a dangerous situation. This is a major road and bus route in the morning. Could you have someone look into this and notify and or site the vehicles if this is against the law
- Question- Is there an inventory of parts and or photos available of the bike parts found in the Coho apartments area recently, or is a visit of the area in order. Thank you, Chan
- Question- I saw the pictures of the stolen bike parts pile found behind Coho apts. In the picture was my bike that was stolen. Where can I go to get it back?
- Question- 10/17 The house fire on GEE St. I noticed these people in bright vests blocking the street. They were wearing bright yellow vests. On the back it said Juneau Citizens Patrol. Is this a branch from JPD? There was a gal and she conducted herself very professional and kindly explained that at the time she could only allow emergency vehicles down the road. I saw a bunch of people give her a hard time but she maintained her professionalism. How do I sign up for this group? With her blocking the road it was nice to see vehicles driving slower than normal.
- Question- I lost my wallet while hiking yesterday, is there any kind of lost and found at the police department in Juneau? I am from out of state so my drivers license isn't current, it is a Utah drivers license.
- Question- I work at a local hotel in town. The police have been here a few times asking to see our in house guest list. My question is: are we legally obligated to provide that information? Is a warrant needed for that information?
- Question- What can JPD do about coal rolling (modifying diesel trucks to allow to purposefully spew clouds of black smoke)? I observed a red crew-cab truck (have license number) release a huge cloud of smoke while passing a bicyclist on Brotherhood Bridge. Coal rolling is dangerous and harmful to bikers and walkers subjected to the smoke and can obscure vision for drivers. Do we need a local law to allow enforcement?
- Question- My new vehicle includes an remote start feature that lets me start and defrost my locked car while it sits in my driveway or at my worksite parking lot. It includes an automatic shutoff feature after 15 minutes, and it still will not let the car be driven without the presence of the key fob. I read somewhere that leaving a running vehicle unattended is a violation of a CBJ ordinance. Am I in violation for using my remote start when my vehicle is not in immediate view? And if so, is this something that CBJ officers enforce?
- Question- I filed a police report yesterday because my medication was stolen. My doctor is requesting the police report so I can get more medication. Can I get a copy of it? I have the police report number.
- Question- The house at 124 Gold Street has posted signs not to park in front of the driveway. While the sidewalk is flush with the street as if for a driveway - there IS no driveway, only the face of the house. Is it legal to park there and is it legal for the homeowner to post the no parking signs?
- Question- What can I do about an adjacent neighbor's large dog that barks constantly while it is in their back yard? The owners put it out there usually around 5:30 to 6am, and it barks constantly until 9 or 10pm. The frequency of barks is about one bark every 2-3 seconds. How can a dog bark this loud and long is beyond me, but it does. Any help?
- Question- We live in a small condo complex and have very limited parking. A neighbor has a van that has been broken down for more than three months and it is taking up one of the parking spots, thus limiting parking even more. On top of that this person has a rental car that they also park here. I am concerned about the effectiveness of the person who plows when the snow starts since the van is in a spot the private plow will need to get to. Is there a way to report this and have the car moved? Talking to this neighbor does not get things done.
Thank you for your time.
- Question- When/where is the next drug take back day?
- Question- Not sure if I should report this- a man exposed himself and pressed his privates against me in a completely unwanted act last night. A friend overheard me yell at him and told him to leave the area- but I'm concerned for others and it still is bothering me.
- Question- Just wanted to request patrols for Tongass Blvd again. Several vehicles are seen going well over 20mph at various times of the day. Mostly between 5-6pm - Thank you,
- Question- Two days ago Michael James Healey was arrested for what appears to be counterfeiting US currency - a class B Felony. Why has there not been a press release done on this, as it is a major crime which according to FBI.GOV, would involve the secret service? Juneau has a right to know.
- Question- Is it a law to wear the shoulder strap of your seatbelt in a car?
- Question- I just witnessed a mail truck unable to access a mailbox because of a parked car. Should I inform someone?
- Question- I have a question about Law Enforcement Officer jurisdiction in town.
I saw a Forest Service officer had pulled over a red SUV on Back Loop Sunday afternoon. Is a city or state road within a Forest Service Officers jurisdiction? Can they make traffic stops? How about other law enforcement agencies like NOAA officers or Brown Shirt State Troopers? Just curious, not complaining about LOE keeping the roads safe.
- Question- I have a stereo in my car. An older man from down my block yells at me and said I can never use my stereo... He must have a problem and he also threatens to call the police on me. What are laws pertaining to stereo sound coming from cars?
- Question- I live in Switzer on Wild rose my neighbors are partying all hours night or day! BLASTING music I have called Dispatch non-emergency line 586-0600 to complain but nothing happens. I think they have a police scanner because its like 30 min until someone shows up and they just happen to turn things off when the police come around and refuse to answer the door. Is there anything else we could do? Please help!!
- Question- August 31st. It is 2:30 AM. Over a hundred shots have been fired during the last hour and a half in the nine mile creek area of North Douglas. We called 911 around 1:00 to report. Were officers dispatched to investigate disturbance?
- Question- Hello JPD. We are residents of ******. A month or two ago we contacted CBJ online about a CBJ Public Works vehicle number ***, license plate ******, spending days and nights in front of the ********* building. Whether a boyfriend-girlfriend, renter or other situation, we found it appalling that the taxpayer-funded vehicle would be taken home or to a friend's house as a personal vehicle and spent days and nights parked there instead of at a dedicated CBJ facility. At the time the CBJ vehicle stopped parking at *********. We now find it even more appalling that the driver's behavior was not addressed properly - the vehicle is now and again is spending the night at the ********** parking lot on ******. Is there anyone concerned taxpayers can contact to report this inappropriate use of CBJ vehicles? Can JPD do anything about this?
- Question- Can you park a 40 foot RV on a residential street in the valley and,if so, how long?
- Question- Does JPD issue tickets to vehicles parked on the DIPAC fishing float if the vehicle does not have a handcapped tag? The sign at the top of the ramp says Handicapped Vehicle Access Only.
- Question- I am interested in finding out the number of times an officer has had to come to my apartment at *********. Is this something you can get for me? Do I put my information online.
- Question- Respectfully request that Patrol check Tongass Blvd(between Gail Ave and Jennifer Dr.) for persons speeding between 5-6pm on weeknights and during morning and afternoon school hours. Thank you,
- Question- How can I tell my ex they are not allowed on my property
- Question- Dear Dispatcher,
Is it possible to find out WHAT is
Happening in Switzer or is it classified?
My friend is home and saw a large presence
of Juneau's finest.
- Question- Can JPD please do something about the local taxi companies stopping on the shoulder to view eagles, near Channel Drive? I almost hit them when I was getting ready to turn off onto Channel Drive and then they STOPPED on the shoulder, forcing me to veer back into the right lane again. This is very unsafe and they should be getting tickets for this.
- Question- Has any decision been made on the upcoming auction.is it going to be online,or are we going to have to wait in the rain.
- Question- If someone threatened you by saying I'll be on jail by Saturday if you don't get that chip off your shoulder and they have abused your mother in the past what do you do when you have to be there the whole weekend and your scared.
- Question- Hey,
Do you guys ever have cops patrolling out the road? I know I've been invited countless times to underage drinking parties out the road and everyone seems to think it's absolutely safe (I think otherwise.)
I really feel having at least one car just driving out there during weekend nights would make people change their minds about doing stuff like this. Especially when JPD said they would have officers at the burning rain event two years ago-- and no one seemed to be there because countless high schoolers were drinking and doing drugs. Same goes with the Burning Rain that happened this year.
- Question- Hi there! Thanks for having this non-emergency way to contact you! If JPD officers are wandering around downtown, any chance they can drive up Rheinhardt Street by the cemetery? Someone has parked a big red Dodge Ram truck in the street (no parking zone), and I'm concerned that it will cause an accident if someone comes around the curve fast. Thanks!
- Question- If the DMV distinguishes motor scooters by CC then, what about electric? CC being for gas engines.. This is stemming from another question I just asked about a motor assisted bicycle.. the motor is powered by solar electricity. I would guess it would be treated the same.
- Question- I am not sure if this is the type of question I can ask on here. Whether I need actual legal avice or not. One of my family members let a friend move into their house which they own. There has never been a lease. He has been trying to get her to leave for months. She finally took some of her things and went to stay with someone else and didn't take all of her belongings. He is afraid she is going to try to come back. How long does she have to be gone and out of the house before its official that she doesn't live there anymore and has no legal standing. Thank you.
- Question- There are people in my cup de sac who let their cats roam free. These cats hiss and show aggression tword any that cross their path. They also continue to kill birds and leave them on my door step.have asked that neighbor's keep cat from leaving their death at my door. Being as these cats have no idinification are they considered feral? Can I dispose of them when they are on my property?
- Question- I have a question. When somebody is in jail for domestic abuse a restraining order was put in place. So how can someone from the jail still contact that person and harass them? His name is ********** and still is in daily contact with **********. He has called her grandparents home phone and also calls her cell phone on daily basis and harasses her. How can this be fixed? The jail had know answer.
- Question- I have a neighbor who continues to walk the street putting his garbage in other peoples cans on pickup day. We have ask him to stop yet he continues. Are the garbage cans we rent for residential use considered private property? Is he breaking any laws?
- Question- At what age can I turn the car seat from rear facing to forward facing? My convertible car seat says up to 22 lbs and also 40 lbs. Thank you for any information!
- Question- I know the left lane on Egan is primarily for passing, however with lots of traffic on the road its often driven in. Is it the case that there's a different speed limit in the left lane when driving? I was under the impression that the speed limit is 55mph in both lanes, and yet I know people who've been pulled over for not speeding (going over 55) in the "fast" lane.
- Question- If I reported my post office box key stolen, will jpd actually do anything? Or will the report just sit there?
- Question- Shouldn't that missing physical therapist be on the missing persons list?
- Question- Is there always a community service offer working? If not what are their hours?
- Question- I have a tenant that has a broken down vehicle blocking access to my property, I have asked them by written request 36 hours ago to move it and they have not done so.
Can I have it towed at their expense?
- Question- Hi! I'm wondering what the consequences are for a minor caught driving with an open bottle of alcohol in the car.
- Question- Regarding aftermarket exhaust on vehicles, Alaska law states that the exhaust can not be modified to be louder than the vehicle came from the factory. But how is that determined in a practical application (i.e. road stop). If I buy a used car, how can I be sure it hasn't been modified? A Harley Davidson or a car like a Subaru WRX has much louder exhaust than a Toyota Camry, for instance. If I want to fix up the engine and buy an aftermarket exhaust that "are designated for street use retain all factory emissions equipment and conform to the California Vehicle Code 95-decibel exhaust noise level limit." (from the manufacturer info), am I going to get a ticket? I have found the following information:
2006 Softail Standard 1,400 cc, original from the factory:
97 decibels at idle
102 decibels at cruising speed
111 decibels revved
so the exhaust I would be getting would be more quiet than a factory Harley at idle.
- Question- I live in a duplex and the neighbors keep parking their veihicles to where they block the side walks and leave 12 their vehcle in the street. Is this legal?
- Question- My family and I were visitors in Juneau on Thursday July 3, 2014. We took a bus tour to see the glacier, and was then dropped off at downtown Juneau. My dad lost his keys sometime during our trip, and I am inquiring for him whether or not anyone has dropped off a set of keys to the Juneau police station's Lost & Found. There are more than 3 keys attached to a circular key chain and an extra red key chain-type link. Thank you.
- Question- The past couple days there has been a blue motorcycle and a small white hatchback car that have been operating at extremely high speeds, disregarding stop signs, and general reckless behavior on mountainside drive, Craig street, and glacier highway. I respectfully request that patrol be advised and that they frequent the area as operations permit. Thanks for the great work you all do!
- Question- The neighbors on the street behind us have been setting off fireworks every day for 3 weeks now. We don't mind the noise, although it gets old when you're going to bed at 10 PM, and get woken up a couple of times a night. However, their bottle rockets keep coming all the way across our backyard, over our roof, and keep landing on our porch and cars. I was hit by one today while standing on the porch talking to our neighbor. Is there any way they can be made to fire them off in a "safe" direction so that our cars, dogs, and ourselves aren't being hit by them?
- Question- JPD, please… 8:20 pm, sunny day, June 26, 2014. We live on Irwin Street, downtown. There were again two bikers (sports bike and a Harley or something) going up the street past cemetery just now, doing at least 50mph in a 20mph zone. They do this every sunny day. They also come down the street towards 12th Street after 5pm and come back in the evening, always hella'booking down the Irwin Street where many high schoolers and younger kids walk. It is only a matter of time until they hit a kid or an egressing vehicle from one of the parking lots on Irwin. Can you please station an on-foot officer with a radar on a sunny evening 4:30pm - 9pm on Irwin St. downtown, by the cemetery - once in a few sunny days' streaks? And another officer with a patrol car somewhere on one of the parking lots near the cemetery so they can pull the (bad, bad people on bikes) over and give them a massive ticket or a bundle? Thank you very much! Residents of Irwin Street, Downtown Juneau.
- Question- Where do I report an illegally parked car
- Question- Dear Dispatcher, I work in a bar and would like to carry a concealed firearm for security reasons while working late shifts alone. I know, however, that Alaska state law prohibits the possession of a concealed firearm in any establishment that serves alcohol. Is there an exception that allows for employees carrying while on shift? Thank you.
- Question- Three weeks ago a renter or homeowner abandoned a junk couch outside in Starr Hill neighborhood. Was sticking out into road but now only immediately adjacent. What can be done? Who do we contact?
- Question- Is there a writable version of the parade permit form available online?
- Question- In a RV type camper (live in type) can a person ride in it while on the road
- Question- I am interest in this career.i need help getting started.i have couple of questions.what courses should I take to become a dispatcher?
- Question- The only June Daily Bulletin was posted on June 1. Is JPD discontinuing the Daily Bulletin?
- Question- What's the deal with orange cones and marking off parking downtown? I see cones or signs issued by the city with dates and times, and I see people marking off one or more spots with cones, either with construction/work trucks involved, or sometimes, just an orange cone in a parking spot on the street with nobody around and no sign. Do random cones with no city sign have to be obeyed?
- Question- I live downtown at ******, just past the Breakwater Hotel on Glacier Avenue. My Mom heard gunshots last night about 11 PM, what was that about?
- Question- Where do you dispose of expired flare gun cartridges
- Question- I was wondering if there are any laws about public speaking downtown.
- Question- Can you get a protective order on someone that is harassing you through text message?
- Question- If a red flashing light is the same as a stop sign are the the duel lights in the valley a stop sign when they are flashing or do Ineed to wait until they stop flashing
- Question- What are the laws regarding a person under 21 drinking alcohol under parental supervision in the parents home?
- Question- Is there a noise ordinance for undeveloped public beaches?
- Question- Where can I pick up my impounded vehicle ?
- Question- Can a minor child go on a ride along with one of JPD's officers? If so, how old do they have to be in order to be on the ride along legally? Thanks - Frustrated Parent
- Question- I work on Shaune Drive and there is not one posted speed sign. Therefore, everyone (especially the construction workers and semi's) make their own speed limit, 30mph +. How do we get speed bumps and a posted speed limit sign put in place? This has been a major problem for years and it's only a matter of time before there's an accident!
- Question- Do people get a reward for reporting a person that's parked on a handy cap zone.
- Question- is it illegal to have a vanity front license plate? I see a lot of Juneau residents have them, but do I have to have both front and rear plates? thank you in advance.
- Question- I have a tenant who I want to evict. I am afraid he is going to get volatile when I serve the paperwork asking him to vacate the apartment. Is this something I can ask a policeman to be present for? The tenant is always intoxicated and owns at least three semi-automatic assault rifles. I find him very unpredictable.
- Question- Is hawking legal in Juneau? The store called ******* causes so much inconvience to the tourists & the stores next door, by hawking & calling tourists walking on the sidewalk inside the store to sell them ******. It causes harassment to the tourists & its neighbors & give a bad name for Juneau as a shopping place.
- Question- Do you have a lost in found for missing items?
- Question- is there an impound sale/auction coming?
- Question- What is the penalty for providing alcohol, to an individual who is restricted?
- Question- My son sold a car to another young man here in Juneau. He filled out a bill of sale accepting a down payment and 2 subsequent payments. The bill of sale listed all 3 payment amounts and payment dates, it also clearly stated that upon the last payment the title would be delivered to the buyer or the vehicle would be repossessed if the last payment was not made. Both parties "my son, the buyer and a witness" agreed to and signed the bill of sale. The last payment was not made and it was due over 30 days ago. When the buyer was contacted by my son he asked if he could make another partial payment and get the title because he sold the vehicle to someone else who is threatening him if he doesn't provide the title. My question is what can my son do to resolve this issue and what can JPD do to help?
- Question- How much is would the ticket be is somebody was driving with studed tires after the due date to take them off
- Question- what is the law in alaska that shows at what age a child can legally be left home alone? (example: going home after school). Please provide a link with information about that law.
- Question- I am curious about parking regulations on cul de sac's here in Juneau. It is my understanding that on a typical street, the parking in front of a person's house (assuming there is no 'no parking' sign) is for the residents of that house, unless otherwise discussed between neighbors. What about on a cul de sac? I live in a cul de sac where my driveway is inaccessible in the winter due to it's decline from the street level, but even in the summer, only one car will park there and the other in front of the house on the street. It is very frustrating when 'visitors' of other neighbors occupy the space in front of my home. I don't want to start a debate with my neighbors before I have all the facts.
- Question- Is it legal for a neighbor to take photographs of the all the people and the cars they arrive in who visit another neighbors house without their knowledge?
- Question- How do I apply for a ride along?
- Question- If the is no construction going on with Egan Drive, say at 9 pm to 7 am is it still a double fine?
- Question- How do I request an officer to slow traffic traveling north through Auke Bay? It would be a nice little money maker for the city to bust some of these big rig trucks blowing through the 35MPH zone.
- Question- A picture of people that JPD is looking for would go a long way in aiding in their apprehension....
- Question- What can I do about the people that live next to me who blast their stereo system to the point I can hear it through my walls over my tv
- Question- My neighbor has there dog on a runner in there back yard and the chain on it is too long. The dog comes into my backyard and poops all over the yard and jumps on my kids. I've asked them to shorten the leash and to remove the poop but they ignore me. What are my options?
- Question- Can you please confirm the 2014 studded tire removal date for 2014? I've been told April 15 & May 1.
- Question- My understanding from the garbage dump is they now want us to leave our green bear proof garbage cans unlocked from the clamps that hold down the lid on the day of garbage pick up so that they can use the forks on the truck to pick up the garbage and not have to get out and unlock the cans. My question is if we are to do that then who gets the ticket for a bear getting into the garbage? Also, if the resident is responisble for the ticket can JPD do something about the garbage company requiring us to leave them unlocked on garbage day?
- Question- Does JPD recognize digital proof of insurance; smart phone apps?
- Question- Is April 26th the set date for the police auction?
- Question- there was no 4/2/14 daily bulletin, could you post it please?
- Question- When will the studded tire season be extended this year?
- Question- This question was mistakenly deleted and reconstructed from memory. Ask A Dispatcher apologizes if it is not exactly the question asked.
I am a 17 year old girl and there is a 19 year old man I would like to date but my parents object. My parents are threatening him with arrest. Is there a law he would be violating if we date?
- Question- I saw an oncoming large vehicle on my way to work this morning that was displaying flaching blue and yellow lights. I thought it was an emergency vehicle so I pulled off to the shoulder. The passing vehicle turned out to be a water truck. Was the truck displaying incorrect flashing lights, or are red flaching lights the only ones that we have to pull over for?
- Question- What should I do if someone repeatedly harasses me online even after I requested the person to stop the harassment? I have reported the person to Facebook, but the harassment still continues. This is a local person who has made threats (non-violent or physical)and I am afraid this person will take other measures to continue the harassment. Is there a way I can fill out a police report so that there is a paper trail of the harassment? I dont know if a restraining order will work because the person made non-violent/non-physical threats to me. I have a baby and I dont need the added stress this person is causing me. Thanks.
- Question- Is it legal for an individual(s) to live in a motor home on public property such as the Nugget Mall Parking lot?
- Question- When you are at your desk as a dispatcher, what are all the screens showing? I see what look like Excel spreadsheets, phones, three keyboards, TV's.. What is the normal set - up? How would I set up a ride - along with dispatch?
- Question- Does a restraining order go both ways? I've heard from a friend that the petitioner, can contact the respondent. Can you explain this
- Question- I have read that you document found items. I lost a pair of metal rimmed prescription glasses on March 25 somewhere between 6th and Park streets and Rainbow Foods. Any chance that they were turned in?
- Question- Hello, officer. I got a parking ticket but am in such serious financial straits that I can't really handle the fine and will undoubtedly be late on it. I've been doing some searching and can't seem to determine how much time I have before what penalties I potentially face come into effect, other than the late fee and waiving the right to challenge it (what's printed on the citation). I understand that it must be paid and will do so as soon as I am able, but I need all the information so I can budget accordingly and get it done as soon as possible while keeping up with my other bills and not, you know, risking jail. I suppose my question is, what levels of penalty does a late parking ticket payment escalate to and when after the ticket?
- Question- How do i find out where an individual goes when ex parte'd.Lost a friend last seen at barttlet.
- Question- When is the next police auction
- Question- Not exactly a question, but more of a KUDOS for the author of the daily bulletin. It's finally nice to see that spouses or significant others who commit domestic violence, will have their dirty secrets known. Maybe it will shame them from doing it again in the future. DV assaults in this state are rampant, and we need to make the public aware and increase our efforts to prevent, report, and hinder at all costs, the damage abuse can cause. Good on JPD! Our officers are outstanding, as is our dispatchers. - Another greatful citizen.
- Question- I noticed lately there are "victims" names being listed in the Daily Bulletins. For instance 3/19 says the boyfriend slapped the girlfriend and has her name listed. This is so wrong!
- Question- Are chains legally allowed to be used while driving in Juneau? Is there a season where they are allowed/prohibited?
- Question- I heard care seat laws recently changed, is so, what are the new requirements?
- Question- Is it normal procedure for a police vehicle heading to an emergency with lights flashing,and no sirens to be driving down Loop Road on what I and others belive to be the emergency lane?
this happened yesterday around 5PM during rush hour traffic, woulndn't it have been more practical to let the drivers move to the right as is the law? I'm sure this created a lot of confusion for the rush hour commuters.
- Question- Your most recent response about the NFDD stated the boom was on 12-27-14. That can't be correct.
- Question- Hello we woke up this morning to a loud boom. The neighbors had a swat team raiding their trailer... The swat team officers had fire extinguishers in their hands entering the trailer. What in the world was the reason for the extinguishers? Was there some kind of danger of fire? We have our grandchildren that play outside and wonder if there was something going on that we need to worry about our little ones.. thank you
- Question- I am the manager of a small local business. Lately we've had a customer spending time in our establishment who recently was released from prison for an armed robbery charge. He's been asking some sensitive financial questions about the business, and some of our customers. No one has provided him any information, but it is cause for concern. While he hasn't done anything to cause a problem yet, is there anything that you can suggest we do to be proactive about the situation?
- Question- Hi. I am a very worried individual. I haven't seen or heard from my fiancee in around twelve hours, and have asked all the friends i can think of if they've seen him, all with a no. He did not show up to work today, and i have no means of directly contacting him. I am hoping you can help me and possibly tell me if maybe he got picked up at some point? If this is possible it would be greatly appreciated and i will give you his name
- Question- What does the "Out With" designation mean in the police report? I have seen several different types of reports with this heading.
- Question- Is the police department hiring for dispatchers right now?
- Question- How is a typical 9-1-1 dispatch center set up (i.e. # of dispatchers, equipment, etc.)?
- Question- Is it legal to use an atv to plow snow from driveways considering you have to be on the street part of the time? Do you know of any reading material for this subject?
- Question- I am in college for criminal justice to become a dispatcher. My question is how you handle the hours and the stress of calls fielded? How do you feel when you are unable to get help to a victim in time to save them?
- Question- Dear Sir or Madam,
I am in the process of filing paperwork relating to an auto accident here in Juneau. The responding officer was both helpful and courteous throughout the entire ordeal, and I and the other parties involved are incredibly grateful for his diligence and professionalism. However, I am having difficulty deciphering some of the important information in the paperwork the officer so thoughtfully filled out for me.
So my question is this: is it possible to require public safety workers to take mandatory penmanship lessons?
- Question- Do Military Police officers make good civilian officers?
- Question- ON 1/26/14 around 2 or 3 I witnessed the tail end of a drug deal behind Glacier Valley School that went bad and it sounded liked it got violent, the took his money, Another Lady called 911, Maybe I missed it but I never saw JPD even do a drive by, I give Linsence plate number. Im fearful becuase they saw me on the phone and the same jeep has driven around the neighborhod a couple of times. There is alot of drug activity in the area by the baseball feilds. This incident happened in the middle of the day and it seems like no response.
- Question- Is it illegal for someone to take newspaper left in front of your business entrance?
- Question- What do you do when you see small children sitting in a car all by themselves in a parking lot of a store?
- Question- How do I serve papers on an individual if all I have is a post office box number?
- Question- Is the funding for JPD's drug program dependant on how much money they claim they took off the street? $1204 for an ounce of marijuana, according to the story in the Empire, is ridiculous at best.
- Question- 32 grams of spice seized in 2013 with a street value of $17,250? So $539.06 a gram? That's amazing, considering one can go on regular internet sites and buy 10g for around $20 to $50.
- Question- Are there any laws related to the brightness of headlights on vehicles? It seems that more and more vehicles have lights which seem far more intense than even the bright setting on a regular car. It is distracting and dangerous - particularly when rain, snow and fog add to their intense glare. Thank you for any information you can provide.
- Question- Can someone please go up on 5th strett and have a couple vehicles relocated. 5th & D there is a green pick up parked too close to the stop sign and the snow piles up around it. You can't see if anything or anyone is coming up the hill until after you've gone beyond the sign. Further down the street between 721 and 715, 5th there is a turquoise vehicle no one recognizes. It's been there for a few weeks and is 1. taking up a valuable parking place and 2. impeding snow removal from the general area.
- Question- Can the police PLEASE do a drive by and ask the people at 4417 NOT to park the cab ion the middle of the road as the other truck across the street also takes up part of the road ...I know there is snow but these two cars along with the truck that has been parked on the side of the road for the last 5 days on birch are getting on my nerves....These people have drive ways they need to shovel and make room for thier cars not park in the road! ....Have a nice day
- Question- When is the next police auction?
- Question- Could you post a 1/11/14 daily bullietin please? We didn't get one that day
- Question- we continue to have a caller asking for my elderly mother, not giving the name of why they are calling and keep calling. I am suspicious that they are trying to scam her, when i ask why they want to talk to her they say they will call back. so how can i find if it is a scam and why they are calling and keep them from calling again?
- Question- i was pulled over for a taillight issue and field sobriety tested and breath test result below .08 and released without a citation.can i still be charged?
- Question- recently a couple was arrested for stealing gas from multiple cars, I was a victim, when is the court date?
- Question- On Tuesday the 7th around 2:40pm there were several police vehicles circling the Forest lane and Tongass blvd. area. The officers were looking into people's yards and in wooded areas. But the police reports don't indicate what they were looking for. Who or what were they looking for?
- Question- January 3,2005 D..... L..... committed suicide. How can I find out more about the crime?
- Question- Just read the question about the 4way stop at Threadneedle and Trafalgar and agree that this is a problem. Another problem is that there are frequently cars from one of the residences at that corner parked either on the sidewalk or on the edge of the road. That intersection is usually pretty slick during the winter, and the cars are posing a hazard as you come around a blind curve into the intersection. The driveways are almost at the stop sign - but isn't there a rule about parking on the road that close to a stop sign or intersection?
- Question- Who can I talk to about having snow that is partially blocking one stop at a four way stop to be removed? Someone has been plowing snow from a driveway into one lane of our four way stop at Threadneedle St and Trafalgar Ave. I personally think it poses a risk to the traffic in this area because this snow has been piling up and makes it extremely difficult to see traffic coming from Kanat'a Deyi St(which much of the traffic from this street does NOT stop at the stop sign). I drive a car that is close to the ground and have a lot of difficulty seeing around this snow which I don't think should even be this far into the street to begin with. This has happened last year and the snow was never removed.
Any help or suggestions you could give me would be so greatly appreciated. Maybe you can do the "No more snow" dance for me!
- Question- WHERE DO I PAY A TICKET THAT IS PAST DUE?
- Question- What types of fireworks are legal in Juneau?
- Question- Do you know if Phoenix AZ offers a service like this one?
- Question- Merry Christmas to everyone at JPD! Thank you for everything you do for all of us!
- Question- My sons car was stolen on Tuesday night and there is nothing about it in the news telling the public or nothing in your news page. No officer came out to do a police report. How come?
- Question- FYI: The owner of that Chevy Van does NOT move it. It hasn't been moved in MONTHS. I wouldn't waste my time reporting it if it moved at all.
- Question- This Morning I called regarding "Junk" car being dumped on Jennifer Dr. Which has been huge problem as "junk" cars are often left on side of the street or next to the Baseball fields. Do you know if the officers where able to talk with the indviduals?
- Question- I have to ask. At these new flashing red crossing areas (Walmart/Floyd) I see people stop when the lights are flashing however, I see them proceed after the folks have passed the front of their vehicle. I was under the impression that the flashing red means "Stop" until it stops flashing...
- Question- I heard there was a man who was getting cell phone numbers through his job and was texting young teenager's phone numbers and calling or facebooking them later on.
- Question- ***** white Chevy Van abandoned for two months now on ******** Avenue, as well as the usual broke down vehicles - those pretty pink tags are needed again!
- Question- Complaint on teens having sex in red car on the dock by Maritime Hydraulics.
Called in Friday 12/6/13
they are here again. what do we do?>
- Question- Can cars park in front of your house on the road without your permission
- Question- I heard on the afternoon of 12/4/13 that there was a dog involved in 2 different people being bite on hospital drive and that the dog was running loose. I haven't seen anything in the news or on the daily bulletin. Is this true?
- Question- If I call 911 about a domestic disturbance and give the operator my name and phone number, will this information be in the police report?
- Question- (G) illuminating torches and colored fire in any form, total pyrotechnic composition not to exceed 100 grams each in weight;
Can you clarify this for me? Does this mean if I want to use Sky Lanterns, it is allowed? Sorry, I just am not able to figure it out.
And if I can use the flame lanterns: are ther other restrictions I need to be aware of? (Location, time of day, etc.)
Thanks for your time.
- Question- I know laws regarding the use of police vehicles vs civilian vehicles vary from state to state. What are the laws regarding police vehicles driving above the speed limit, doing U-turns, parking, and any other applicable law that would normally apply to a civilian, if the police car does not have their emergency lights on?
- Question- Can you please send a CSO back to the end of ****** Avenue? There is an abandoned vehicle with rusted out sides that's been there for over a month. Thank you!
- Question- If somebody works at a hotel and has guests staying that are known drug users/dealers and have people constantly in and out of the room, is there anything that can be done? I guess under suspicious activity.
- Question- as a landlord,what are my options& responsibilities regarding tenants and or their guests who I suspect or have reason to believe are involved in illegal activity?
- Question- Hello JPD,
I am managing a small parking lot at REACH. Here we have reserved parking spaces for certain approved staff members. It is in our policy that no one else is allowed to park there. I have been looking into getting window parking violation stickers, they will not state the care will be impounded or towed. Is it legal for the agency to place these stickers on a person's car? If so exactly where on a window is it legal to do so?
- Question- Dispatcher, I am writing again about the neighbors that park on the street. Now that "winter" is here and there is a winter storm warning in effect. Please tell me there is a solution to this problem? I can only imagine how narrow our street will become with snow on either side, added vehicles also on the side of the street. I have called JPD like I said before, you guys did come out and tag their vehicle. I have written you guys on here ,I have even asked the neighbor nicely to move their vehicles, to which they become angry or just ignore me AND other neighbors who have asked them as well. Again, this is a risk even when the street is clear, with no snow for the elementary school children who have to wait for the bus right there. Oncoming vehicles can see past the vehicle on the side. So, we (myself and other neighbors) have just moved the spot where the children wait for the bus. I guess, we are just at a loss for a solution here.
- Question- I don't know if this works as a lost and found, but my son lost a Scion car key on an Oregon Ducks lanyard, and we're hoping to find it. It would have been lost somewhere between the downtown high school and Julep street in the valley.
- Question- Hello, when is the next auction of impounded vehicles?
- Question- Hi! I need to take a CPR class within the next month. I googled various combinations but can't the LOCAL where, when, and how much for Juneau classes. can you please help me?
- Question- This is a reply to my question that I asked a couple of months ago. My neighbors who park on the road. The answer I received was to contact JPD when this is happening. The problem is that they park there from 4-5 pm until 9am. This causes a problem for school buses and the children at the bus stop. The street we live on, is a narrow street, so with a big vehicle parked on the side makes it even more narrow, making it barely a one lane street,BARELY. So My follow up question is: They park there during the late afternoon, night time and into the morning. how can we get the message to the neighbors that they are causing a hazard? Their vehicles have been tagged by the city, now they just rotate which vehicles get left on the street on a daily/nightly basis(They own 9 vehicles). I have asked them politely (non-confrontational) and they get angry, So of course I have backed off in the hope that JPD or city can help me.
Thank You. Sincerely, The frustrated neighbor :-)
- Question- When is the next police action if i am right its in may but i want to be sure I'm right?
- Question- How do I report a crime online that occurred in Hoonah,AK?
- Question- Hello. Does Juneau have an ordinance against spitting in public, or spitting in public buildings or facilities? Thanks
- Question- Can a spouse lock you out when you pay rent and no domestic report has been filed?
- Question- I got pulled over for dwi in febuary. got arrested again for suspended license. got it reinserted oct 30, then it says it s suspended again.
- Question- I'm new to Juneau and had a friend tell me that 40 mph is the minimum speed on Egan Drive. Is that true? I haven't seen any signs saying that's the minimum speed, and I'm concerned about the winter driving conditions that I'm afraid we're going to have soon.
- Question- Last weekend I had to call 911 because a lady was driving extremely erratically and almost crashed several times as she drove down Egan, across the bridge and into Douglas.
When she finally was able to be stopped, she clearly seemed to be intoxicated... yet, even though the police did come; I do not see an arrest record.
How do I find out if that person/automobile is a worry to myself, my family, or my community if I cannot locate an arrest record?
- Question- In a newspaper article yesterday (11/4) about the parking meters, a line read, "The system would provide up to two hours of free parking while preventing drivers from exploiting the system by simply moving to a new spot." This came as a complete surprise to me - it's not illegal to move to a new parking spot, adhering to the time limit for each spot, is it??
- Question- why No daily bullietins for November?
- Question- Hello,
Juneau/Lynn Canal CHARR sponsored Free cab rides home last night. We were wondering if there was any DUI on Oct 31st and what time did they happen?
- Question- Hello JPD,
Here at the REACH administrative building, we have our own parking lot. There is a funny spot that is not a parking space, but many people will use it when they are desperate. This blocks a car parked properly in a proper space from backing out. I've read that it is illegal to prevent a person from accessing their private property, does this apply to your parking lot as well?
- Question- I just heard a loud noise in downtown that could have been a gunshot or possibly a firecracker. Is this something that I should report in the future?
- Question- Can we get an extension for moving our boat? Case #**-***** My husband works for the Marine Highway and is leaving and I can't tow the thing in my car. We found a place to keep it over winter however the space needs to be cleared so it will be a few days after he gets home. Should be all taken care of by 11/14.
- Question- I've read over the Juneau noise ordinance a few times and it seems the street sweepers operating between four and six every morning would be in violation of this ordinance. Is there a reason they are not subject to it?
- Question- WHAT IF I KNOW SOMEONE WITH A WARRENT?
- Question- I loand a friend my car. I have the tital. I have asked for my car back and they refuse to give it to me and now clame they fixed it so I owe them money to get it back. Do I need a rit from the cort to go pick up my own personal car. Or how do I retrieve my personal property that at this point is stolen? They no l9nger have my permision to use my car.
- Question- Is it illegal to move your son out of the state?
I've had him all his life but don't technically have any custody papers through the court.
- Question- Is there a way to see if there have been any Commercial Vans pulled over in the last week for a bust tail light?
- Question- On May **, **** my brother ***** ******* Jr. died in Juneau, Alaska. I found his obit online and have talked to the funeral home regarding cause of death. How would I find out who found him and where any of his belongings might be? I live in ******** so a trip to Alaska is not feasible at this time. I don't know if he has any friends or co workers? Can you help me.
- Question- I received email from publishers clearing house saying ive won and I really want to claim my prize but everyone tells me not to. Can you tell me if they are criminal or the real publishers clearing house? I can forward the emails to you if you need them.
- Question- I lost my wallet last week. Is there a way to check to see if someone turned it into the police?
- Question- There's no 10/20 or 10/21 daily bullietins can you post them please?
- Question- Is there a time limit for filing a police report. A teenager backed into me in a parking lot and did not want to go through insurance so I accommodated them. The estimates I got are higher than they expected and now want to go through insurance. This happened in August. Can I still file a police report for insurance purposes? The damage was less than $2000.
- Question- Our son is over one year old, which as I understand it, meets the legal requirement for facing his car seat forward. However, our car seat requires him to be 22lbs and 31in tall in addition to being one year old. Can we still face him forward, or do we have to wait until he meets the car seat specs?
- Question- Is UAS having an event or are students having a band/rave tonight randomly?
- Question- Is there any update on the person who was struck by a truck last week at Mendenhall Loop and Back Loop?
- Question- What % of "added" tinting to vehicles is legal? I've heard that any additional tinting to front windows was illegal. Thanks.
- Question- How do you relay the info to the responders
- Question- I currently have my son's father living with me, he has been abusive in the past and I gave him a 30 day notice a while ago, which he disregarded. I do have a roomate moving in and want him out by November 1st. I am afraid of the way he will react when he does have to leave. I would have friends/family there to help me, but he really doesn't care who he acts angry/abusive in front of.
What would be the best route to take the day he does have to move out?
Could I call a police officer to be there and make sure that my son and I are safe when he does, or his probation officer?
- Question- I'm not sure you can answer this, but I have always wondered - if someone knows a person is driving without a license or on a suspended license (like a spouse, girlfriend, parent), and the person without a license gets in an accident and harms someone, why isn't the person who knew but didn't report the violation legally responsible too? It always deeply disturbs me that repeat offenders hurt or kill someone, and others MUST have know they were driving illegally, but didn't do anything to stop it.
- Question- What is the law about seatbelts in vintage vehicles? The car currently has no seatbelts. Lap belts are doable, but I'm not sure it's even possible to mount shoulder belts correctly in this car. Are they required or are lap belts alone OK?
- Question- I have a neighbor that parks their vehicles on the side of the road, in front of their house. This makes our already narrow street a one lane street. Their vehicles have been tagged but all they do is just rotate which vehicle is parked on the street. These neighbors have 9 vehicles in their driveway most of the time. My questions are: Is there an ordinance that states how many vehicles are allowed at one home? and what can be done about the parking in the street?
- Question- How many years can you wait to file a domestic violence charge
- Question- When will the next medication round-up be held? Thank you.
- Question- Ask A Dispatcher is on vacation! Be back on 9-30-13.
- Question- On main street in downtown Douglas (3rd street) there are many 'cross streets'. Although the corners of these cross streets are painted as no parking areas (for 20 feet from intersections or so) people still park there cars on the main street butting up right next to the cross streets. The problem comes in when trying to pull out onto main street from one of the sides streets. When a car is illegally parked in the no parking areas close the sides streets, you cannot see oncoming traffic from the left or the right and have to pull your vehicle out into the roadway to see. My question is why people illegally parked in these 'no parking' areas are never cited? I know several accidents have been caused because of this, and I myself have almost be T'boned as I could not see around the parked cars. I think if it was downtown, you'd be ticketed in 5 minutes tops.We pay our taxes in Douglas too you know.
- Question- Is there a formal way to complain about the lady responsible for making appointments to visit inmates? I've experienced her rudeness along with several other people. She also neglects to answer her phone about 80% of the time and never returns messages. I'd like to be able to visit my son without calling compulsively and overloading someone's voice mail. Thank you.
- Question- We have been having some (3) suspicious characters walking around the lot across from us on and off the past week or so. They are making our front office person very nervous as she is her alone at the end of the day. If she sees them again can she call the non emergency line and have a squad swing by to check it out?
- Question- is there a time limit to report a theft?
- Question- There is a couple living in a tent in my neighbors yard. They have been there for a couple months is my guess if not all summer. Is this legal? Can I make a noise complaint?
- Question- Selling a vehicle with personalized plates, do I need ne leave the plates on the vehicle or can I take my plates and sell the vehicle without plates?
- Question- How do I report a stolen bike?
- Question- There is no Daily Bulletin for 8-27-13. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- When is the next vehicle auction, mine finally kicked it....and is it possible to uptaine a vehicle if it has been left and abandoned and now has a tow ticket on it...thanks
- Question- Are mini pocket bikes legal to operate in the bike lanes?
- Question- can you be under the age of 21 and own a hand gun. handed down to you?
- Question- What outlets are there in Juneau for obtaining kegs of beer that are legal for home consumption?
- Question- bear sighting, what do i do?
- Question- What's the loud boom in valley El Camino area several times this PM? Bear?
- Question- I man is living under the Lawson Creek Bridge on Douglas Island. Local residents find this to be disturbing. Can anything be done ?
- Question- Why are some cases not being reported in the Dailey Bulletin?
- Question- I live in a second floor condo and my neighbor who lives below me likes to smoke pot first thing in the morning, again in the early evening and late evening. I don't want to approach the neighbor due to their reputation for being confrontational. Every time they light up the smell travels into our place. Is there anything we can do?
- Question- I just read the Animal Control code on the CBJ website, and I do not see that it is required by law that a person turn in a stray animal within 24 hours...however that is what Animal Control is telling me. Did I miss this law? Am I looking in the wrong spot?
- Question- How does an officer decide whose car is going to be impounded? It seems that some (but not everyone) who is caught driving without a license gets his/her vehicle impounded. Why do some of those drivers get to leave with their vehicle and some get theirs impounded?
- Question- There are rumors flying around town about two females and a male breaking into homes and cars near Mendenhall Blvd. Is this true as I have not seen anything on the JPD website or the local newspaper?
- Question- How do i file an old assault charge?
- Question- can I sell a hand gun, to a person under the age of 21 but older than 18 in a private party sale in the state of alaska?
- Question- i have a question refering to light colors on motor vehicles in specific lights that mount onto motorcycle tires via the stem that will illuminate the motorcycle from the side. whether it be red green white yellow blue. called and talked with officer Dallas. he did not know and stated that i use common sense
- Question- Can you please inform Juneau how to use the intersection at Walmart? Drivers do not have to wait until the blinking red light stops before they continue to drive through, correct? As long as there is no one in the crossing, of course.
- Question- I heard that not a single parking meter in the downtown area is working. Is this true and am I wasting my $ in those machines and worrying about making it back to my car within 1 or 2 hours?
- Question- What exactly are the rules/regulations and laws regarding use of dirt bikes, mini bikes, atvs and the like on public roads?
- Question- I am a newly-diagnosed diabetic. How should I properly dispose of syringes and needles? I have been saving them in a 2 liter bottle, but what do I do when the bottle fills up?
- Question- On Sunday July 28th we heard and a lot of sirens going to the new swimming pool around 4:30 - 5 pm but in the Daily Bulletin there was nothing saying what happened at the pool. Do you pick and choose what info you display for the online Daily Bulletin?
- Question- Is there a city ordinance against “cruising” particularly making laps downtown sometimes in fancy cars or motorcycles? What about excessive engine revving and or slowly driving (really slow) all the way down the street obstructing normal traffic flow? If so what is the proper way to file complaints and to whom should it be addressed.
Thank you for any information you may have for me.
- Question- So . . . a dispatcher has access to ALL of my information????? How do I know they aren't spreading that information around to my friends or other people who know me? It sounds like they can look up anyone!
- Question- What information can a dispatcher look up on somebody?
- Question- There are at least two sport bikers living above Irwin Street downtown. Every (!) nice day they take their bikes down Irwin street going at least 30-40 MPH around the cemetery bend and down Irwin to 12th street. There are small children, toddlers in the houses and condo building in this area. The bikers have zero regard for that, they just speed. Can JPD please do something about that, or would you prefer us residents to try to film or stop them?
- Question- Can you tell me the proper way to react to an emergency vehicle in the following situation?
Downtown at Egan and Main Street there are two lanes as you head towards City Hall. A left hand turn lane and straight only lane. When an emergency vehicle is headed to the cruise ships and there is a vehicle in both lanes stopped at a red light, where is the vehicle in the left hand turn lane supposed to go? Do they remain stopped or run the red light (if clear of oncoming traffic) to get out of the way?
I ask because I saw this happen today. The vehicle in the right hand lane pulled farther to the right and stopped while the vehicle in the left turn lane didn't know what to do and remained stopped since the light was red. The fire truck was honking at them until the light turned green and they made the left turn. It just seemed like a really confusing situation for everyone.
- Question- What certification do I need to perform dot inspections? Will the ASE certification work?
- Question- I have a traffic ticket that needs to be paid, but I cannot find the ticket on the courtrecords.alaska.gov to pay by credit card. The ticket says that I can pay with a check made out to the plaintiff. Does this mean I should make the check payable to Juneau Police Department?
- Question- Behind **********there is red truck full of junk that has not moved in weeks. Could you get it red tagged ? Thanks.
- Question- Is it a crime if someone threatens to hit you?
- Question- What do I do if I receive messages on my phone trying to scam me out of money or credit card information?
- Question- You keep saying this site isn't monitored in real time. Does that mean I have to actually call Dispatch to report a problem?
- Question- There is an abandoned vehicle on Gastineau Avenue just past the Channel View Apartments that is overflowing in to the street with garbage. A late model, maroon, Chevy Blazer EHU 452. Can you please send someone up there? Also, a light green minivan is partially parked on Gastineau Avenue (about half-way up) creating a very narrow drive for either direction. Thanks!
- Question- I am parked on the street near Rendezvous and a minivan has parked in front of me, partially in a no parking zone. They have blocked my access out. Can you help?
- Question- Recently I have attended two hearings for my friend who has been charged with a DUI. There was also another person scheduled to appear at the same hearing times that failed to appear on both occasions. My friend had taken the initiative to enroll in the required JASAP program, paid all fines in a timely manner and, appeared in court as ordered. The other person had a $1000 bench warrant issued at the hearing for fta, but subsequently was given a quash warrant hearing. I wonder if this is due to "narcing" on other offenders. I really don't understand why the person that was fta is given every opportunity repeatedly, and the person that showed up had the book thrown at them. Makes me wonder what the judicial system is up to. Please advise and thank you.
- Question- FOR USERS OF PHONE SERVICES THAT DON'T WORK WITH THE 911 SERVICE WHAT EMERGENCY NUMBERS SHOULD A PERSON CALL FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF EMERGENCIES HERE IN JUNEAU, AK?
- Question- Hi. I live on thane Road, so my question is what is the cut-off time tomorrow morning for getting through the downtown area headed to the valley.
- Question- Over the last few years, my neighbors and myself have noticed an increasing number of speeders in our area. Especially on Lund Street and North Street. I have personally witnessed several vehicles traveling at an estimated 40+ mph on our 20 mph streets. These are repeat offenders. We frequently wave our arms at them to slow down because there are many small children playing in the area. If we catch them on video and get their license plates, can we turn that information in to JPD for issuing tickets or warnings? We have lived on this street since 2000, and the speeding is getting steadily worse. We are in living in fear for our childrens' safety.
- Question- After custody is made official in court, if the other parent refuses to give the child to the other parent during their court ordered time what are the legal options? Can cops never interfere even if there is court paperwork that says where the child has to be?
- Question- For the third time we are having fireworks in the the tall timbers area making it sound like a war zone. Some sort of response about this would be greatly appreciated or does J?PD just not care ?
- Question- Do you need any special permit to place leaflets warning of parking violations.I would love to tag the tour buses parking illegally at auke bay and deharts.
- Question- Thank you JPD for increased patrol near Craig street/Glacier hwy. The stop sign that i was specifically referring to, however is the one at mountainside/craig. People are still traveling at a high rate of speed and disregarding the stopsign. I sincerely appreciate your help on this matter.
- Question- Are city employees exempt from the limit of 2 hours free parking downtown with there personal vehicles. As I notice from working downtown they park in the morning and don't move until the end of the day
- Question- Two of my neighbors frequently have bonfires in their yards. The smoke means I can't stay long on the patio and have to shut the windows on my house even when it's hot. I have had no luck in the past getting them to stop. What can I do?
- Question- I have custody of my child on July 4th as part of my custody agreement. If my child's other parent doesn't make the child available for fireworks, as Wednesday is "not my day" or refuses to drop the child off after the event, is there any legal action that I can take?
If my child is held after the event, and the point is for the other parent to force me to wait to pick him up the next day on that parent's terms, then is there legally anything that I can do?
- Question- Does JPD have Auxiliary or "special" officers? If so, what is the application process?
- Question- Request traffic enforcement on craig street/mountainside road area. People constantly blow through the stop sign and drive at excessive speeds. There are families who live up here and dont appreciate the recklessness and lack of regard for public safety. Thanks
- Question- Hi I am pretty sure my next door Neighbor is a drug dealer Is there anything that I can do about that.
- Question- During the June 3, 2013 assembly meeting I learned that CBJ will now use the Disturbing the Peace code to address the noise from fireworks in residential areas. This is great news because fireworks are too loud & disruptive to be set off near our homes.
So, please JPD update your information and spread the word that Disturbing the peace is $300.00 a pop and there are no exceptions for the 4th of July or New Year’s either.
We all have a right to enjoy the holidays and our summertime. These times are not just for the people that like to set off explosive devices.
- Question- i am being constantly harrassed by my ex boyfriend girl. everytime we end up in the same place she would say things like she wanna fight. we havent fought yet but what can i do to protect myself and not go to jail? what are my rights?
- Question- There appears to be a psychotic man in Safeway. He is over where people eat and watch TV. His speech is angry and he is ranting loudly. I don't know if this is reportable and something the police should check out.
- Question- There was recently a article about drivers going way to fast and speeding down to the glacier I have been concerned about this for a while. So my question is our officers allowed to park on privately owned lots or property if the owner gives permission I have a lot that would be perfect for a speed trap and would like to allow a officer to use this to the advantage of getting people to slow down!! Someone is going to get killed.
- Question- Question concerning what constitutes a multi-purpose vehicle as stated on your previous post titled 'tinted windows'. My car is a limo, although not currently licensed to carry passengers for hire. I believe my registration says 'multi-use' as it can be limo or passenger vehicle. Would it qualify for the exemption for tinted windows as stated in 13 AAC 04.223 (b)(4) ? see below I appreciate any information as this has been an ongoing issue and I am deciding whether to take the issue farther.
(b) Aftermarket tinting of vehicle windows is allowed as follows:
4) limousines and passenger buses used to transport persons for hire, motor homes, and vehicles identified by the vehicle manufacturer as multipurpose may have tinting material that complies with Standard No. 205, Glazing Materials, in 49 C.F.R. 571.205 (1992).
- Question- hello my name is sherree and I ant to knowwhat is it like doing your job on a day o day basis
- Question- Where can i find the city statue on emergency vehicle lighting for personal vehicles? I just want to know what is legal and what isnt legal when responding to fire calls. Thanks
- Question- Does JPD ever use the information from this website to view misuse of the handicap signs? Such as parking without a designated placard/license or in possession of one without the authorized user in the car? If so, this could be another great way to report misuse!
- Question- I have noticed a few houses that have trash all over their property which looks like a hazard or just not legal. Can they be fined? If so, is it the occupants of the property or the owner?
- Question- How does a Property Owner, particularly in the case where a business is concerned, enforce or prevent people from parking on their property? If there are signs up saying you will be towed.. or can they possibly even ticket you?
- Question- What does it mean if a warren has been taken off the warren list that hasten been taken care of?
- Question- Is it possible to put Tongass Blvd on the list for increased patrols? Seems that drivers consistently do not observe the 20 mph speed limit on Tongass Blvd. Thanks!
- Question- Are collapsible batons legal to carry concealed? Assuming you inform any inquiring peace officer that you are carrying it, and follow all relevant laws regarding deadly weapons.
- Question- Just a few quick questions, is it legal for non-residents to carry a concealed firearm, assuming they are legally allowed to possess one? And are they allowed to carry concealed fixed blade knives, or do the knives have to be carried n the open? Thank you!
- Question- Ive always wondered the true answer to this question... My parents told me that if you are driving on a highway with a posted speed limit of 55 but everyone else is doing 65, you should keep pace with traffic. Is that true?
- Question- Could you please tell me what the rules are regarding parking in the center of a cul de sac? My neighbor and I have differing opinions so we thought it would be best to quit grumping about it and ask someone who might actually know
- Question- REALLY.... I just stopped a motorcycle here on Threadneedle St.
going at 40mph on a 20mph street! please stop this issue! Summer is coming and their are so many LITTLE KIDS on our streets!
- Question- Why is the owner of the junk yard "house" in the **** block of Glacier Hwy allowed to let his house look like that?? Every time I walk by with my dog, I have to go off the side walk to skirt the vehicles/fridges/tires/etc, that are slowly creeping out into the road. It's a total eyesore, an embarrassment to the area, as well as a hazard!
- Question- I'm out of state and think my brother was arrested tonight. Is there any way to check the current jail roster?
- Question- My neighbors have a lot of people living in their home and as we counted tonight there are 11 vehicles(several that don't run). They have too many for their driveway and have started lining the cul de sac blocking our mailbox and today our garbage can. Is there some sort of ordinance that limits the number of vehicles a home can have?
- Question- I have been told in the past that fireworks are illegal here. Is that correct? If they are legal to own what kind are allowed?
- Question- How do I get a copy of an arrest warrant from 11 years agor?
- Question- Over at Floyd Dryden, the handicap parking is consistantly blocked, preventing disabled parents from picking up their children. On the same note, disabled parents are having their vehicle blocked in by other residents picking up their child. This prevents the parents from leaving. In both cases, the school refuse to do anything about it. Is there a law that prevents the above from happening?
- Question- There is a co-worker who is using her disabled child's handicap tag to park in a handicap lot at work. While her child is still at home. Is this ok?
- Question- Where do I go or who do I call to check to see if a computer, laptop, gaming console (xbox/ps3/nintendo), or other electronics is listed as missing or stolen to JPD before buying?
- Question- Is there anywhere I can go online to see what is happening with a case #130503005 I got from JPD to see what is happening with this case?
- Question- Is there currently anywhere people can legally ride ATVs??
- Question- From reading the previous posts regarding fireworks it seems clear that it is legal to set them off in residential neighborhoods. Which answers my question to an extent; however, what if the fireworks pose a potential danger to property and violate the disturbing the peace ordinance?
I live in Douglas where the staff at the Douglas Inn (Louie's) apparently find it necessary to set off fireworks in the middle of 3rd street on Friday and Saturday nights during the summer. It started up for the season last night, May 9th, at 11:30 p.m. at which time I witnessed the fireworks project in several directions with one striking the Douglas Cafe building, one heading towards the gas pump at the Douglas Depot and another heading down D Street as a pedestrian walk up it.
From previous posts it appears that JPD is not required by law to do anything unless fireworks are used to injury or threaten someone. Is this true even if fireworks are set off every weekend between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. violating the city ordinance on disturbing the peace (42.20.095)? Isn't this unreasonable? If I were to go set off fireworks in front of the Governor's mansion every Friday and Saturday night at 11:55 p.m. wouldn't that be unreasonable? I'm guessing JPD would not stand by and watch; which is what the staff member at the Douglas Inn said they do while she bragged about the neighbors complaining, the police not caring and enjoying the show, and her new shipment of fireworks.
- Question- So my very close friend has parents that are just Hell bent on destroying her. So they took her to yet another evaluation appointment which is like the 3rd one where just like every other one, she was deemed mentally sane and normal. However, her parents argued with the two doctors for about an hour until finally they cracked and admitted her just to get them to stop. So my question is, is this legal to admit her to a psych ward without failing the psychological test?
- Question- Howdy!
What is the best way to dispose of an expired emergency flare?
One manufacturer says to "Ignite hand-held signals flares on land in a safe area, much the same as highway flares would be ignited." Everywhere here seems like it might be a spot that someone seeing a flare might think it was an actual emergency signal.
What do you suggest?
- Question- Are there any ordinances that specifically address the use of Paintball markers ( pistols , guns etc. ) in public areas i.e. an open field that is not private property?
- Question- There is a lady who lives on LaPerouse who is yelling at my kids and threatening them with calling the police because they are riding their bikes in the ditch which is city property. I'm tired of her yelling at my kids and getting confronted by her myself. What can be done about this?
- Question- What if a baby dady signs his rights over to the mother. And the mother wants pictures off from his facebook about the child. And the father isnt willing to do so. Is that ok by law? That he can leave them on. Even if the mother doesnt want him to put pictures on anything
- Question- My 17 yr old has recently been getting into trouble. 2x she had to be picked up by us. 1x for shoplifting & the latest for smoking pot w/ a bunch of friends. After taking all her privileges (ph/tv), grounding her & making her quit her job b/c of lying about wrk schedule, she now refuses to come home. She's been gone 2 days & finally called just to say she's ok but won't tell us her location. If we call her in as a runaway & she goes to cornerstone how long do they hold her & what's the $?
- Question- I live directly above a tourist shop downtown, and I found out today that they will be playing loud music over their speaker system during business hours (they close at 9PM). The music is very audible, including bass and radio dj, and can be heard throughout the apartment's common and sleeping areas. I feel like calling JPD might be a little much at this point - do you have any suggestions on how to handle this before I file a formal complaint (if I even can)? I'm not sure of the best way to address a noise complaint with an actual business, especially when it's a residence in a commercial area...
- Question- How do I report people illegally parked on my street? There is little to no enforcement it seems and it happens everyday. This is a high traffic zone for school children and it forces them to walk into the street (where other cars are parked) and creates a dangerous 'maze' effect.
- Question- Notice!!!
- Question- What's the best way to report domestic violence anonymously? Thanks!
- Question- What are the rules if someone finds something valuable on public property that appears to be either lost or abandoned? Is it "finders keepers, losers weepers"? Can the finder sell it without first trying to reunite the item with its owner?
- Question- This last week I was picking up my nieces at DZ. I was less than 5 minutes late they were walking down toward Walmart. When I pulled up, they were talking walking with a man he left, my nieces said he'd asked them to come with him. They knew better because of my Sisters safety training. Their mother and I have told them both to stay at the school until I get there or mother. I remember reading a paper about a year ago it was a man bothering young girls in the same area. My nieces are safe and know what to do now I think it should be spread around. It sure sounds like the same man, extra patrol when school gets out please
- Question- My daughter, 16, was supposed to be home by now, she left school with out permission, went to court with her boyfriend and his mom for his minor consuming. She called me from this number XXX-XXXX. When I called no one answers, on the message it sounds like a person named ######, what can i do and what can JPD do to help me?
- Question- Could some officers please do some speed and stop sign enforcement on mountainside drive/craig st? People constantly blow through stop signs and speed through neighborhood. There are a lot of children. Thanks!
- Question- I think you should have suggested the guy who lost his fishing rod and reel should also keep an eye on the other local outlets: Craigslist, the local Facebook buy/sell/trade page and maybe even the local newspaper for items for sale. I'd even suggest the local consigments shops and maybe even garage sales. Do any of the local stores take in "old, used" equipment as trade-in on new stuff?
- Question- When r u guys going to put pics up for the may 4th auction
- Question- it seems as though on Engineers Cutoff the parking lot for miners is becoming more conjested on an already bad corner. Also the noise of the buses starting up at 3:30am is a little much since all we can smell is diesel coming into our house, can't this be deemed a constant problem?
- Question- The police keeps driving through our neighborhood all morning 04/22, where can I find out what is happening because I have three children who are constantly playing outside and I do not want them to be in any danger if there is danger present.
- Question- My brand new fishing rod and reel went missing on Saturday, April 20, near the dredge lake area holding pond. I'm not certain of the intent, but my girlfreind and I were on the other side of the pond and within sight of where I had propped it up on a stump close by the trail, so it seems unlikely to have appeared lost or forgotten. This fishing rig was of substantial value to me and I have documentation to identify it should it be found. I was wondering how I could best affect its recovery? Thanks.
- Question- Thanks for all you do Juneau Dispatchers, and dispatchers everywhere!
- Question- No question, complaint or discouraging word, but rather kudos from Pete, Ben and Dan from KINY Newsroom for all your help during this National Public Safety Telecommunications Week.
- Question- In honor of National Emergency Telecommunicators Week...
Thank you for everything you folks do for our community. Without your dedication, Juneau would be a much different place!
- Question- Do I need a certificate to start an artificial nail shop
- Question- I have a neighbor that has frequent visitors and continue to park in my driveway. I have asked them a number of times to not park there. Can I have their car towed? Is there a certain procedure that I need to go through to have them towed?
- Question- There is a boat on a property on Portage Blvd that fell off it's blocks many months ago. Now it rests on it's side covered in moss (obviously not going to be returned to the water). It's an eyesore to anyone who has to drive by it day after day. Is there anything that JPD or the community officers can do to have it removed?
- Question- I've been trying to do research on his new drug 25i. Can you tell me what it was originally made for? Does it have any actual medical benefit? Are people getting prescribed this and selling it? I'm a mother, very anti drug, and am finding little information on the web. If you have any answers they would be very much appreciated.
- Question- What do you do when a neighbors dog barks all night? Night after night after night.
- Question- I know most officers are busy at any given time. However, there have been multiple times where I have called specific officers with questions, left a message and have never received a phone call in return. I know JPD does a good job most of the time, however not returning phone calls, in my opinion, seems unprofessional.
- Question- Have you guys figured out a date for the vehicle auction
- Question- How do I report a reckless driver from today that almost crashed into me twice?
- Question- Hi, I've been interested in a law enforcement career for a long time now. If I were to get accepted to the police academy, would I be paid for time spent there? At what wage? Are travel costs covered? Thank you in advance.
- Question- I was disappointed to see that JPD officers are not wearing black bands on their badges in honor of Trooper Toll and DPS Pilot Nading. Can you explain to me the reasoning for that?
- Question- What time are the baby car seat inspections being done today?
- Question- I just was on Facebook, where I read that someone posted about killing me. What can I do about this threat? I am pretty sure it is just talk, but I feel I must take defensive measures
- Question- I know that your going to have the auction the end of the month,why dont you put the Vehicles on the public surplus site.There's already a link to CBJ.You could save money by not having them towed over to La Perouse. http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/juneau,ak/browse/cataucs?catid=4
- Question- I know someone who has been paying child support for 18+ years for a kid that isnt his. Is there anything the police can do to help him? Was there an alaska supreme court ruling that was turned into a statute or something like that that can be cited and used to assist the true VICTIM of the system?
- Question- When will the next police auction be for vehicles?
- Question- I work in the Goldbelt building on the corner of Glacier Ave and 10th St. Their are crosswalks at Glacier and 10th, and F street and 10th. Once again I've come within 2 feet of being used as a speed-bump while crossing IN A CROSS WALK. This morning there wasn't any traffic from Glacier Ave or Egan when we began to cross at 10th and F, but the light at the bridge turned green. Before we could get across the 4 lanes, traffic from the bridge was coming FAST. We had to stop 3/4 of the way across to keep from getting plowed over by a guy in a pickup truck who then flipped us off. He went past at over 30 miles an house passing with 2 feet! Every day it's a close call in these two crosswalks, too close. Can you help?
- Question- What does a police "welfare check" consist of and when is it appropriate to request one?
- Question- Can someone check on the parking at the top of David St? It's posted no parking from Nov-April and cars have been parking in that zone all winter. It's almost pointless now since the no parking limit stops in two weeks but maybe a couple of day of enforcement in March will make those vehicles park elsewhere. It would be nice having David St be two lanes again.
- Question- There's a property across Glacier Hwy from AEL&P and the outside is trashed. There's broken down cars, boats and a whole bunch of other crap. Isn't there something the City or the litter enforcement officers can do to make that person pick up their property?!?
- Question- What is the status of charges in case number 130116-007 which involved the single car accident/roll over on Jan. 16, 2013?
- Question- On a daily basis, people park in the ADA loading zone in front of Harborview School directly before and after school hours. Only rarely do these people have handicap tags. The last time I addressed this issue with a violator the person became very agitated and said "Everybody does it!" Sadly, the person's right. Everybody does it. There's no enforcement and no disincentive.
JPD already has officers regularly patrolling that school zone during peak times. Could the officers already in the area or a parking enforcement interceptor occasionally swing by the school entrance during peak times during school days (7:50-8:05am and 2:20-2:40pm) and start handing out some tickets for illegally parking in the ADA loading zone so legitimately handicapped people can use those spots when they need them most?
- Question- What are some of the reasons Alaska State Troopers call looking for someone?
- Question- Is there plans to have another vehicle auction anytime soon?
- Question- How long can a derelict vehicle be left on the street? There is a #### that has been on upper Seward St. since at the beginning of last summer. It got tagged once back around Oct. & was rolled back 2 spaces where it has been sitting ever since & has not moved. It does not even run.
- Question- I'm married to a man with a child. Him and his ex share custody although luckily they were able to work out a schedule without going through the court system. I've grown attached to this child and have been his step parent for several years now. My question is that if my husband were to die would I have any legal rights to the child?
- Question- Why is the road leading to Chapel by the Lake closed to UAS students? Will it ever be reopened? It feels like it's been this way for too long now.
- Question- I just read an earlier post on 'tinted window regs' and received good info but still have a question on the 'class' of vehicle. My SUV is considered multi use as a limo, although I only use it for personal use, not commercial. I was cited recently for too dark a tint on the front side windows. As my SUV is multi classed, does it have to be registered commercial for the commercial regs to apply?
- Question- What happens if I had to have 80 hours of community service done by jan. 30th? I haven't heard anything yet, do I have a bench warrant?
- Question- What are the busiest and slowest times of the day?
- Question- I just wanted to say that on Valentine's Day the people who were blocking the road way did a professional job and they were very polite. Are these people that were in plain clothes off duty JPD officers? The 2 people did their best to keep traffic clear, or did a good job keeping traffic going to prevent a pile up. They did a great job keeping the road lit with flares, and lights to be noticed. I did see one of the people who was telling cars about the accident almost get hit by some jerk who ran through their road block. If these were regular citizens just helping out, how can other's help out if a case were to happen like this again? Do I call JPD and say that I am helping out, or what can I do to help?
- Question- Is there any update on the single car accident at mile 19 on 2/14?
- Question- What's it like working in dispatch
- Question- I live in Oregon and I lost contact with my son in Juneau,AK. Is there anyway I can find out if he is dead? And can I report him missing even though I have had no contact with him in 2months?
- Question- There was a week at 30 mile today which involved a drunk driver and his passenger was seriously injured and hospitalized. Why was there no arrest made?
- Question- What is a temporary order, and how does it work in a stalking order violation court case?
- Question- Some guy tried to come into my house Sunday morning and I called the cops and they came and got him. He had blood on his forehead and seemed pretty dazed. I don't see mention of it in the daily report. Is there a way to get more information like who he was and if he is OK?
- Question- Why are warrants issued, and subsequently sqwashed? Especially over and over again?
- Question- what qustion do you ask when you answer a 911 call please give the list
- Question- My kids bought a trailer in Switzer last year. They have worked hard on cleaning it up and making a good impression to the neighborhood. The person they bought it from does not have a good reputation. The police still stop by the trailer looking for people that my kids don't even know, because apparently that is their last known address. It isn't fair to my kids that police show up at their door at whatever time of night looking for people they don't know or are even associated with. How can this stop so my kids can make their home respected like they've worked so hard to do????? They have gone to the station asking this same question and was told the prior people who lived there would have to change their address. Apparently that is never going to happen.
- Question- I just read the warrant list and there is someone listed who was born in '98. I thought it was illegal to release an under aged person's name? Also, wouldn't the fault be on the parent/guardians? He is only 14. I feel like it should've been their responsibility to get him to the court house.
- Question- I just read a bulletin from the other day that said, "so and so was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated" is that different from a DUI?
- Question- Let's go back to Case 130116-007. If he didn't have a driver's license, does that mean he also had no insurance? Three misdemeanors? Considering the situation, it seems there ought to be a felony or two he could be charged with, (but, of course, I know nothing about the laws). Do multiple misdemeanors ever add up to a felony? You know. Like three strikes, and you're out?
- Question- Should I call 911 for text threats of physical harm?
- Question- Are there going to be any criminal charges filed against the driver of the terrible Egan accident? My family along with others could have been killed due to the drivers negligence. Will anyting be done once they recover?
- Question- I wanted to thank everybody for their very helpful Input. I am afraid to be around the neighborhood at night myself I would be much braver with a couple of friends. And a bright flashlight.
It really was a sweet and cute neighborhood years ago. I would like to see it that way again thank you very much
- Question- What is the law in Alaska that shows at what age a child can legally be left home alone? (example: going home after school). Please provide a link with information about that law.
- Question- Good job finding that missing boy! Thank you JPD for your hard work!
- Question- Is there a child missing in the Valley?...People are saying a seven year old is lost?
- Question- In reply to the switzer post: As a former member, my best advise is to do your homework. Spend a few days (maby with friends), and write down plate numbers, make/model/color of vehicles, times arriving and leaving. JPD can work wonders with a good documentation of activity.
- Question- I just wanted to say in response to the Switzer village question a lot of the active neighborhood watch group had moved out of there and the ones that were left didn't want to come out of there homes at night to walk or drive the streets as I was one that did go out every night til I moved. Also before we moved we did try to get more people involved with no success so I agree to try again with the national night out. Good luck over there
- Question- I moved to Juneau 10 years ago. Switzer village was a beautiful & safe neighborhood. I have been raising my 3 children ages 20 thru 8. 10 years ago it was a beautiful & safe neighborhood.
Now it is run down, filthy, unsafe, and Scott St. Is Drug Ave. there is non-stop cars parking, waiting, & what appears to me openly drug dealing.
I don't feel safe for my youngest child. I make her come home before dark. And I keep her off Drug street. I would love to sell my trailer. But the property prices have dropped so low my home is worthless
Can JPD have a bigger presence there? Maybe install surveillance cameras?
Maybe the borough can help clean it up & light it better.
Thank you for your service
- Question- Is it legal to sell/buy guns on websites like Craigslist &/or Facebook's Juneau Buy~Sell~Trade? I've seen several listings for AR-15's & others lately & it made me curious.
- Question- Can JPD deputize private citizens to do nothing other than write tickets.I'm so sick and freekin tired of trying to find a handicap spot at freds and especially walmart taken up by people without the placards.And those people (just going in for a second)still parked there 45 minutes later.Walmart cant do anything because they said the state mandates a certain number of spaces and the state posts the signage therefore the state is supposed to enforce it.JPD seems more interested in giving out tickets for broken lightbulbs than ticketing those who INTENTIONALLY break the law.
- Question- So for the "slower traffic keep right" Q&A, taking Egan Drive for example, if a person going slower then the speed limit is in the right lane and they have 5 or more vehicles behind them it is ok due to there being another lane open for passing, is that correct?
- Question- the police was call on 12-22-12 about 430am to front st they took some one in but they did not say any thing in the news from last night
- Question- What are the particulars of any "keep right" laws in Juneau? Are the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs enforceable? Is there a regulatory difference between "Left Lane For Passing Only" and "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs?
- Question- I think my question may have been lost in the bit bucket in the sky since I haven't seen a response.
Has the law changed regarding a school bus turning right on a red light? I have followed buses 19, 20 and 38 and have watched them turn right at the WalMart intersection. Are they allowed to do that?
- Question- Is Facebook a viable means of gathering evidence from a missing persons/ runaway case? I have a friend who is a mutual friend of one of the younger people on the current list, and they have updated their Facebook status within the past month.
- Question- No question, just this light hearted funny for our hard working folks on the beat; MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I was driving when I saw the flash of a traffic camera. I figured that my picture had been taken for exceeding the limit even though I knew that I was not speeding. Just to be sure, I went around the block and passed the same spot, driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed. Now I began to think that this was quite funny, so I drove even slower as I passed the area once more, but the traffic camera again flashed. I tried a fourth and fifth time with the same results and was now laughing as the camera flashed while I rolled past at a snail's pace
Two weeks later, I got five tickets in the mail for driving without a seat belt. You can't fix stupid
- Question- Has the law changed regarding school buses turning right on red lights? I followed buses 19 and 38 on Monday morning, and both turned right on red at the light near Walmart. This is not the first time this school year that I've followed these buses and watched them turn right on a red light.
- Question- I spend a lot of time out at night by myself taking photographs of the night sky. Is it legal to carry a collapsible baton like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Fury-Tokushu-Keibo-Manual-Open/dp/B009S79U5M as a protection device against crime or say a curious bear? What about bear spray? Would I get in trouble using that on a person in self-defense? I'm not as young as I used to be.
- Question- I have to take issue about the Juneau empire 11/23/12 it clearly states that one James R Hanson was cited for DWOL
Here is the link http://m.juneauempire.com/local/2011-10-23/police-fire
I saved it the day the paper came out. Whom should I call? JPD or the empire? That was not clear in your answer
Again thank you
- Question- It is legal to uses drugs ie heroin meth if you work for JPD or the Feds.
So what is the crime buying or selling?
- Question- At 12:16 a.m. Friday, James Robert Hanson, 41, was cited for driving without a license on Harris Street. The vehicle was impounded.
This Was in the Juneau Empire. 11/23/2012. Yet it wasn't posted in your daily bulletins. I am curious how they got information that you did not release. Please clarify this for me?
Earlier in the year I called you Juneau Empire, Regarding the Plethora of arrest, of Young people Arrested on simple drug charges.
They informed me at that time August That they get all their information from JPD.
Which is it? Thank you for your time, And the service to community
- Question- How long does it take for you to answer questions that have been posted?
- Question- I've been hearing a lot about a Juneau Christmas party being organized by Sam Dalin, chaplain for the Juneau Police Department. How does one become a chaplain for the police department? Is this an appointed position? How long has Mr. Dalin been the chaplain? From some of the things I have heard about this party, it sounds more like a Christian revival. What is the association of the police department with this party?
- Question- Hi--
I was walking in my neighborhood (Bonnie Brae sub-division North Douglas) last night about 11:30 pm and noticed a cop car driving around the streets. Just curious if there have been susupicious activity in the neighborhood that we should be aware? of Anyways we appreciate the police presence in our neighborhood. Thanks!
- Question- what is the percentage of anglo police officers do you have
- Question- Why are there no parking zones if they are not enforced? Everytime I go to Walmart, I see someone parking in the no parking zone. Let's say a person with a disability parking tag parks in the no parking zone because there are no other handicap spots left, does that justify them parking there?
- Question- I read in the Juneau Empire. Sunday November 23rd 2012
That a rather nitorious resident was stopped for driving with out a liscense.
Yet it wasn't posted in JPD's Daily Bulliten.
How can the Empire have this public information.
When I called them this summer on another lack of information regarding some
Drug bust they said they get their information from you
So which is it?
- Question- A person I know has moved to _______ and openly invites everyone on their contact list (via facebook) to "bath salt" parties. The event includes the address and time of these parties. Could I report it to the ________ police and get these people the help they need? Or is it not illegal there yet? Please hide the state from public viewing, I don't want this to be traced back to me.
- Question- We have a 14 year old who thinks he's 20..and absolutely untouchable. We are concerned for his safety because he is falling into the wrong crowd. We are ready to do whatever we have to do to keep him safe. Is there anything that JPD can do to maybe scare him a little? A tour of the jail or of the JPD perhaps? Also, does JPD issue ankle tethers to parents that are requesting them? At this point, the only place we want him to go is to school.
- Question- how does your dispatch center work/
- Question- When it snows and covers the lines on the roadway people tend to drive where they think the lane is. Most of the time we all tend to follow the tracks left by the cars that have gone before us. Once the pavement has been exposed after heavy travel the lines have been exposed and show that cars have been driving half in half out of their lane. So, my question is, is it best to keep driving in the exposed path or should we be trying to drive where we know we are supposed to be driving which is between the lines, not crossing over into another lane? I tend to want to drive where we are supposed to be driving (in the middle of our own lane) and it irks me to see 95% of other drivers blatently crossing the center line when it is clearly showing. Also, on corners, like on the back loop at goat hill, people that drive in the exposed pavement tracks tend to push the other lane dangerously close to the ditch.
- Question- Is it worth call for trucks parked on the side walk so hat kids have to go out in the streetto get around them
- Question- I live off of Threadneedle Street in the valley and almost every day for the last couple of months one house (I believe the number is 8184) on Threadneetle has had cars parked on the street. They are there over night, during the day, in the evenings- you name it. A lot of the time there is space for the car(s) that are parked on the street in the driveway of that house. It has become rather irritating because of how often cars are parked there and block traffic. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they were only there once in awhile but they are there EVERY DAY of the week. I was wondering what the legality of parking ON the street is? Can/should I call this in to JPD's non-emergency line?
- Question- what question do u ask when someone calls with an emergency
- Question- there have been no new post put up in quite awhile, whats up?
- Question- Is there any enforcement whatsoever on the proliferation of vehicles (mostly trucks) with auxillary driving lights? At least 50% of them are dangerously bright and not aimed correctly. This is a serious public safety issue.
- Question- My ex bf is has my school diploma and all school certificates and he is not responding my emails. Is there anything you could do to help me?
- Question- I live in the Bonnie Brae subdivision and our neighbor has some sort of a high frequency device installed on the back of their house. Our property line ends near the rear of their home, so the noise is directed right at our house. The noise causes discomfort, nausea and is ear piercing. My family cannot bear to be outside due to this noise, which is so sad since we just purchased this home and cannot simply move. We have pets as well and I cannot imagine what this must do to them. What, if anything, might we do to give our ears some peace so we can enjoy the outdoors? The fact that the homeowners have this in the first place makes me not want to even bother addressing this issue with them. Please help! My ears are still ringing…
- Question- There is an older dark red Toyota van that has been left unmoved for months at the very top of Seward St.(last space by power pole on 7th St.) The person who used to drive it has not been seen around. It should be removed before the snow flies & it prevents proper snow removal in the street there.
- Question- About three weeks ago A resident on Valley Blvd put a rather large cabinet style TV on the sidewalk and just left it there. Since then it has been moved about three feet off of the sidewalk, however children, and teens continue to play around it which could lead to A terrible end result if it were to tip over on one of them. Aside from making the neighborhood look trashy, this is also a major safety issue for the many children that pass by it daily. Not sure who to contact, but hope it is removed before a child is injured, or worse. Thank you for this forum.
- Question- After the new sidewalks were put in on Wood Duck, they installed "no parking any time signs" on the non-sidewalk side of the street. They are spaced about every other property or so. Does this mean that the entire one side of the street is no parking or that you can only park in front of the properties not displaying the signs? If it is in fact no parking, who do talk to to have it changed?
- Question- What are the regulations in Alaska ( Juneau ) regarding private party gun sales?
- Question- The 10/7/12 police report lists Case 121006-009 that occurred at 22:35 on 10/6/12 in the 6500 Block of Glacier Highway...although it states "See Press Release", I don't see a correlating press release. Can you please direct me to it? Thanks!
- Question- Up Seward, by the Capital Park dead end, residents of the big house have been using the ally as personal parking. They have been retaliating against others paring there by blocking them in and even parking in the no parking some next to the stairs below the entrance to the legislative office. Also they are using park parking as personal parking. Can we get some extra patrol in the area please to keep them in check please?
- Question- When should I call you guys about bears? What does the bear have to be doing for JPD to care?
- Question- can anything be done about the people who insist in stopping on the corner of egan when turning onto mendahall loop rd,maybe a do not stop on corner sign,i know their trying to get to superbear,but thats a major wreck waiting to happen.
- Question- Those crosswalks near Floyd Dryden and walmart that pedestrians can press, they turn yellow, then red, then flash red and then off. Can you please explain to the public that after the person(s) have made it safely across and the light is flashing red they can proceed with caution? It cleary states in the Alaska DMV book this is aloud but most people wait until the light is off. Thank you.
- Question- I was fourth in line turning left onto Main Street from Egan. There was a pedestrian trying to cross Main using the crosswalk. When the left turn light changed from Red to Flashing Yellow the three cars ahead of me turned left and cut off the pedestrian who had the Walk Light. Wouldn't it be safer if the left turn light stayed Red when the Walk Light is lit?
- Question- Now that the Main street has been closed for a while at the 4th street intersection, the Main/4th intersection became an accident just waiting to happen. Either the right of way has been changed and I am not aware of it or most of the idiots driving through that intersection think that the right of way has changed and the intersection became a 3-way stop sign. Which it isn't - stop signs are still where they are, on 4th and West 4th sides of the road.
If I understand it correctly, the Main street traffic turning left and right currently has the right of way and precedence over any other traffic. Then the West 4th street traffic going straight to 4th street and turning right onto the Main street has the right of way and precedence over the West 4th street traffic that is turning left. And only when there is no other traffic the West 4th (Capitol Building/Dimond Courthouse side) street traffic can make a left turn.
Please clarify this and see if any additional signs need to be posted, as over the past two weeks I have been nearly hit then honked at / flipped off 4 times by assholes thinking they have the right of way. I observe traffic violations of right of way there all day every day. Typically these drivers would try go go straight from West 4th street when people are making a left from Main onto West 4th or would try to bolt left from 4th onto Main when people are making a right turn from West 4th.
- Question- Someone abandoned their car on my property. How do I get rid of it?
- Question- Many, many weeks ago I brought to your attention a grey truck on 7th that has been parked up there since spring. It finally did get tagged once but the tag was quickly removed & was rolled back a few feet. Since then (many weeks now)it has been parked in it's 2nd location. (It gets rolled because it does not run.) Word must be getting around that this is a good place to stash cars because now there is a 2nd one parked at the very end of Seward that has also not moved for many weeks. (Burgundy Toyota van). Some residents are lucky enough to have dedicated parking up there but many of us do not & have to scramble around for parking every day. Isn't there anything more that can be done besides playing this roll it back & forth game?
- Question- When is the next car auction?
- Question- Last night my car was hit while parked and I got the other parties car insurance information and made a report to my car insurance company. Was I supposed to also contact JPD and file a report with them too?
- Question- Will JPD be holding a prescription drug collection in the future? If so when and where will it be held?
- Question- did you get any calls about two UFO's flying down the channel on 9/22/12 AT 1655? my sister and I were on Egan drive, between hospital and Yacht club. We saw two craft, making no noise with strange lights. I am aware of aircraft, I love flying and I know what helicopters, small craft and jets look and sound like. this was scary.
- Question- Are there any legal ways to produce and display spray-paint street art?
- Question- Trauma is tramua and PTSD is PTSD. Calling it secondary or vicarious tramua is short-changing the dispatchers in our emergency medical services. The impact they suffer from what they experience is, in some ways, worse than what an officer goes through. The officer is out there and directly involved, with some degree of control over the outcome. The dispatcher experiences it internally and the sounds, the silences, the envisioning of what is going can no doubt be horrific and have a lasting impact. Through my career in law enforcement, I had nothing but the greatest admiration for those in the dispatch centers. My respect goes to them all.
- Question- On Thursday the 13th the valley was very smokey. Was there a house fire?
- Question- When will u guys be having the next vehicle auction?
- Question- Are there any city or state regulations on towing a vehicle in Juneau?
- Question- There is a green minivan parked in the south end of the Glacier Valley School parking lot. It hasn't moved in over a week, it may be abandoned. Could you please have an office investigate and tow it if necessary.
- Question- I noticed that DOT recently changed out all of the left turn traffic signals, and replaced them with flashing yellow arrows. This morning I noticed that when traffic going in the same direction has a red ball, the left turn is flashing yellow. Does this mean I can still legally turn left (even though it would normally be a red light)?
Also - any idea why this change was made? It seems like Juneau drivers had enough problem yielding on the green ball - how can Juneau drivers be trusted with flashing yellow arrows? YIKES!
- Question- The 9/3-9/4 and 8/30 bulletins are missing. I know you guys must be busy, but please keep them coming. Thanks!
- Question- My landlord is not providing a secure location for apartment trash. Earlier this year a neighbor called JPD after being startled by a bear eating out of the trash can. My landlord was told of that situation and of several bear visits since. But they still haven't fixed it. What should I do?
- Question- Late last night/early this morning, my 11 year old daughter woke me saying she heard shuffling or scraping noises several times in the back yard. I looked out our windows and everything looked fine. The family dog didn't seem phased and I didn't hear anything after that. I figured it was a critter or something. However, this morning when we went to let the dog out the flood light in the back was shattered all on the ground in front of the back door. There is a rough part of the door jam where the wood has been smoothly shaved away. My husband is out of town but says that he thinks that our dog did that and it has been like that. There is no wood chips on the ground but it was windy this morning. So I am trying to decide if I should at least report this as fishy or toss it up to a blown lightbulb and the dog.
- Question- Hello!
I currently live in Florida and work as a dispatcher. I am interested in moving to Juneau and work for JPD! Do you have any suggestions on how to go through the hiring process? Due to the process (and length), it almost seems impossible to be able to travel each time the next step needs to be completed.
Any information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated!
- Question- There is someone dumping dead fish at the Dredge lake parking lot off to the left side in the trees ...We walk every night with our dogs and have noticed the bears are hanging out in that area more..There is also little fires built there often at night...Is someone able to put those hidden cameras on a few trees up there?..I know its not a police thing unless a bear attacks... but maybe Fish and Game?
- Question- I heard a rumor that if you have an out of state cell phone number that when you call 911 the call won't go to the Juneau 911 system. Is that true? I know several people who moved to Juneau and never changed their cell phone number. Does not changing your cell phone number to a local number hurt you in an emergency?
- Question- Does JPD enforce any of the parking at Auke Bay or is it the harbor masters problem.Got a ticket for parking the car and trailer up the hill because the tour buses were blocking the avaiable spaces.
- Question- Someone told me that 911 no longer works on mobile cell phones. That the number has been changed to 112. Is that true?
- Question- I have completed the online renewal registration for my car but have not received my tags and they expire in 5 days. If I do not receive my tags before they expire does the receipt count showing I paid for me to be able to drive my car while I am waiting for my tags
- Question- Does the Juneau police department not have a facebook page, or am I just crazy?! ;-)
- Question- Jeremy McWeeney cited for indecent exposure? Is that a joke?
- Question- What happened to the walk bridge on trinity blvd.Just moved back and its gone.
- Question- What are the rules about riding a bicycle in Juneau
- Question- Wondering why JPD never showed up to the huge party out at Sunshine Cove over the weekend? According to an young attendee I know (who makes poor social choices), there were excessive amounts of drugs and alcohol going around and numerous reports of drunk drivers on the road? Supposedly it was attended by hundreds of people, so how did JPD miss this one??
- Question- How old until a kid can sit in a booster chair car seat?
- Question- If **** **** was given a citation for negligent driving and the report said alcohol was a factor then why was she not given a DWI?
- Question- I watched a suspicious exchange take place on my street last week. I think it was a drug deal. A mid to late 1990's F350 4 door truck, white with a dark blue or green stripe, stopped on the wrong side of the road, behind some trees and waited. A man in his middle to late 20's walked down from a side street, walked up to the truck and got in the back passenger side door, not the front seat. He was in the rig for approx. 20 seconds, got back out, looked around and headed back to where he came from. The truck turned on his head lights and drove away. The truck had stopped by the trees in such a way that you couldn't see the truck from where the walking guy came from. I didn't think much about it until after the truck had left so I couldn't get a license plate number.
Here's my question; since this meeting was so short, what info does JPD need to respond right away if I see it happen again. I'm not going to let this become a regular occurrence around my home!!
- Question- I live in Auke bay towers located behind the Auke bay post office. For the last 2-3 days construction on the Auke bay school parking lot has started at 5am. This is outside the noise ordinance. Since this is a Juneau city project whom to I complain to? Per the noise ordinance any change should of been notified to the residents. Which has not occurred.
- Question- I have a neighbor that has 2 old crappy boats in his yard, a car on blocks, a fish smoker, and tons of junk in their yard/driveway. Are there any codes that would disallow this? Thanks for your answer.
- Question- Was there a drug bust at the driftwood inn tonight?
- Question- There has been a ford truck sitting across from my home for about 11 hours with the guy still in it doing nothing but looking at our place. Was curious if this is okay, making my family feel VERY uncomfortable. Have never seen this person before.
- Question- There was an out of control driver yesterday in a maroon Pathfinder near Walmart on Old Glacier Hwy. Curious if this person was apprehended. Many peoples lives were put in danger.
- Question- I had my vehicle stolen about 3 months ago. I have heard no answer from the investigating officer about my case. I have called multiple times and left messages with the front desk. Is there any way to find out if my case has gone to the D.A. Yet. I would really like to know if the damage to stripping my car of parts will be taken care of.
- Question- Can you define 'jailbait' for the state of Alaska? There's plenty of girls I know who are 16 and are having sex with people over the age of 20, I was just wondering if once you hit the age of consent in Alaska you're permitted to do that. And under 16 too.. The law is confusing sometimes with its wording.
- Question- Wondering if you could red tag a car ? It is a green caravan with a flat tire that has not moved in over two years. It is on Old Lawson Creek Rd. behind North Point Condo on condo property. There is am easement for one car to park there however there is more then one car. Thanks
- Question- At the new Walmart intersection, if I am sitting at the stop sign waiting to turn right or left onto Glacier Hwy, it's difficult or even impossible to see if the light is blinking, solid, or not lit. If the crosswalk is clear, is it ok to turn at any time? What if there are already cars stopped on Glacier Hwy?
- Question- McGinnis seems to be a street where people believe they can leave their vehicles and boats in the road with no consequence. There is currently a boat parked on McGinnis that I feel is causing through traffic issues. To whom do I make a formal complaint regarding the boat?
- Question- If my husband and I bought both our cars with cash and put title in his moms name bc my husband was scared his debt collectos would come after them. Does his mom have the right to just come and take both our cars? Neither one of them have been cars his mom has driven on a ragular basis, she has her own nice taho. Thank you
- Question- If a minor is within 6 months of their 18th birthday and they have been kicked out by their parents, who then file a runaway or missing persons report can said minor be forced to return to their parents home?
- Question- I have a family member that is not allowed to have any firearms because of mental illness's and a prior felony arrest. I resently found bullets in his car and a gun case in his house and I am worried because he has made prior comments about suicide. What happens to him if I find him with a fire arm?
- Question- I was told fireworks are legal. Is this true? I see you posted the city ordinance but there a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo. Can I have a straight forward answer?
- Question- On saturday the 21st there was a car on fire out on backloop on wren st i think, what happen and why was it on fire
- Question- I have a soon to be 13 year old son that would love to ride along with a police officer. Is this a possibility?
- Question- Many weeks ago there was a question posted here about a small grey truck w/ green shell that was left on 7th St at the top of Seward St. & had not been moved for months. Dispatchers's response said someone was on it. The truck is still there & has no visible tag or ticket on it. What gives? How many months can a vehicle sit on a city street before it is considered abandoned?
- Question- the vending cart on the sidewalk in front of miners mercantile building downtown. is this a permited space? its blocking the sidewalk. Its located under an eve. fire issue? Does she have a permit for this? Its there every fri and sat night.
- Question- JPD - Please forward this info. to Animal Control, thank you.
For several weeks now I have witnessed a black lab sitting day in and day out of a car that has been broken down with flat tires in front of *******. The dog has been wearing an e-collar and there is a large bag of dog food sitting in the front passenger seat and an empty, dirty bowl for water. This poor dog rarely leaves the car. He is very kind. I believe his owners are a couple residing at *******. The lab sits in ******. Lic. ******. A few weeks back when we had 80 degree + weather, he was sitting in the car ALL day AND night. Please check on him and speak with his “owners”. Maybe they’ll think twice about having a dog they cannot care for and find a home that will love him and not keep him locked up in a car his whole life!
- Question- If I followed a car on the highway swerving left and right for a couple of miles, with a turn signal constantly on, crossing the median line and the shoulder line, almost hitting cars in the other lane, almost hitting a retaining wall - with a younger female behind the wheel bending down for several seconds to pick stuff up from the floor, continuing to do her hair and makeup at the same time, speeding, then stopping at the intersection and while putting on lipstick BACKING UP while stopped at the intersection almost running into my vehicle - and I have it all on video with clearly visible license plate and even an identifiable face of the female in her rearview and side mirrors - does JPD want this footage? Or is it only worth retaining for personal (and YouTube) entertainment purposes only? Thank you.
- Question- How about the junky maroon GMC Jimmy on the corner of McGinnis and Duran that is in the roadway, bottlenecks traffic and was plowed around all winter last winter and has been sewpt around this summer. I've seen tickets on the vehicle before but it is still there. If they pay the ticket they get here and there can they continue to leave it broken down there?
- Question- How is your hiring done for the dispatch center? If I have applied before but was not selected, must I apply again or do you retain a list of qualified applicants?
- Question- If a persons car breaks down can they abondon that car in there yard for ever? Or on sone elses property also ?
- Question- Is there common-law marriage in Alaska? I am coming up on living with my boyfriend for 7 years, but not planning on getting married. Do I need to worry about becoming common law married because we have lived together for so long?
- Question- Is the online Juneau Crime Line the best way to submit information about a crime currently in progress? Is the response real-time? Is there a better way to call about non-emergency (not 911) violations that are in progress?
- Question- There have been several times in the past year where I have observed drunk drivers on Egan. Additionally, I often see extremely aggressive drivers speeding, tailgating, and weaving through traffic. What is the best way to notify JPD about these instances while they are happening? I have hands-free calling in my vehicle, so I could safely call as it is happening.
- Question- I was coming home last night (7/7) and there were multiple JPD officers at the corner of View Dr and Moraine Way blocking the road, I checked the daily report to see what it may have been but didn't see anything. Can you say what the issue was?
- Question- While police officers are at a house where the ocupant has died of natral causes, waiting for a corner, is it common for the officers to look through boxes, nightstands, dressers, etc? If so what are they looking for and why?
- Question- When is the next police vehicle auction? I cant seem to find a date or anything about it.
- Question- I read your response about 49cc motor scooters using local trails and. Your warning about using Egan. How would you recommend someone getting downtown from the valley if you cannot exceed 30 mph? Thanks.
- Question- I received a $25 citation the other day but I lost the paperwork. I don't know who I'm supposed to pay...
- Question- You really should try and post a police officer near the construction that is taking place by fred meyers. I go through there at 45 and am always being passed by people doing at least 55 or more even during the day... scary for the workers...
- Question- Sorry to bug you with this, but can you get married by a justice of the peace in Juneau? My fiance and I are googling up a storm but can't find one, and we really don't want a ceremony. Just want to sign the papers and start our life together.
- Question- So when is the next vehicle auction,my 100 dollar investment from the last one finally died?????
- Question- There are alway parties happiness on raven road in Douglas their deck is right outside my bedroom window I know it's technically the 4th of July but I have an infant and 3 year old that are trying to sleep! Can you make something to submitt noise problems online so I don't have to make a call and wake my kids even more?
- Question- A big loud man openly traffics illegal substances at Switzer Village. Everyone knows who & what. nothing ever happens. It's been going on for years why?
- Question- What is the Law In Douglas regarding BBQ ON A DECK Apt etc
- Question- ok what happen at the dump on Saturday, why is it a big secret,its been 48hours and no news abut it?
- Question- In response to the last question about the car broken down in the Walmart parking lot: why would CSOs spend a lot of time researching what happens to those cars if they're on private property? Seems like a waste of time.
- Question- With the work zone signs out and reduced speed limit signs by the intersection by Freds, the discussion has been as to whether this means only when workers are present or at all times.................my money is on at all times, thanks
- Question- Hit-and-run victim from last year at walmart 70 year old man Manual Antonio Mendoza, did they catch the person who did it?
- Question- An abandend care was redtaged at Douglas Highway and old Lawson Creek. The tag says move by 6/22. Its way past that now. ???
- Question- Can someone patrol through Creekside trailer court once in awhile in evenings after 10:00? Last week we called a guy was hanging around, bumped into a car and when opened window and saw him, he took off. At 3:00 a.m. this morning, a male wearing black hoodie, black jeans, vans shoes, about 20 yrs old, spikey hair was peeking in far end window. Took off running when opened curtain. Tonight about 9:30 there was a black older black boxy vw jetta sitting parked for 30-40 minutes. We had grill going. Thank you.
- Question- I just spoke with you about the family LIVING in a camper on Gastineau Avenue. You told me the CSO went up there yesterday (6/27) and reported everything is "ok". How is it "ok" to be living in camper on a city street for more than two weeks with CHILDREN living in the camper as well and using the ditch as their toilet! We walk our dogs and OUR kids on this street everyday and you're telling me it's "ok" to live on the street in a camper?! I am extrememly disappointed in JPD!
- Question- What is the deal with the broken down car or not broken down car??? At Walmart parking lot it has the back window broken out and the gas cap is missing?? Can somebody just take that car if the wanted it??
- Question- I know you just had someone ask about fireworks, but it was really vague. Does the law in juneau mean that you can have fireworks that shoot into the air or does it mean you cant have anything except sparklers, etc? Just trying to figure out if i can have fireworks in juneau besides the little party poppers you see in the store
- Question- I'm new to the area. Whats the laws reguarding fireworks?
- Question- Upon breaking down, battery died; I asked my mother for assistance.. Oodly enough she decided to keep the vehicle & hasn't returned in 3-4 days. There's absolutely no point in her having another car, she's instead trying to hold something over my head. Well I have a family with 3 kids & we need the vehicle back ASAP. On one side, yes she's correct vehicle is still registered under her name. But since purchasing vehicle outright ~1.5 years ago, it's been in my possession, & I can show a clear trail funds to purchase, service, gas, and insure we're 100% my earnings. Also, I know my mother would not lie to police when asked who's vehicle it really is. Is this enough evidence to file a report & hopefully retreive vehicle ASAP!? Or would I need to involve courts 1st?? If so, how exactly?
- Question- What's going on with the road to Auke Rec? The best days of summer, and the road to the beach is closed?!?
- Question- Does Juneau have a time frame that is more appropriate to be more quiet? We have recently had an issue with our upstairs neighbor who was not too happy when he thought we were making too much noise during a family game night. (You would think he was the downstairs neighbor). It was 8pm which I believe is fine to be making some noise during a regular night of games and fun.
- Question- It appears a truck has been abanded on Old Lawson Creek Rd. and Douglas Hwy. It has been there two weeks with one flat tire and another one going flat. Thanks
- Question- My child has been asking if JPD is going to be having their Junior Police Accademy this Summer. It has been a huge success in the past and will be greatly missed if it is no longer available.
- Question- Is there a city limit on the number of cats or dogs you can have. If so is there an exception for the people who take care of there pets
- Question- I had a small fire at home VERY early this morning...
I called JPD, and was surprised to have the responding officer there in less than 5 minutes, then CCFR just a minute later.
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who came, and thank you for being so quick to respond! If I could rate your service, it would be 5 stars!
- Question- I followed an unmarked, totally white tour bus to ***** last night. It had .......(equipment that may violate commercial motor vehicle regulations). The license plate is ******.
- Question- What are the rules in Juneau about taking care of animals? There is a house in our downtown neighborhood who keep their dogs cooped up in their tiny yard almost all the time. The dogs no longer bark as they used to, for they appear to have been broken by their neglect.
I haven't seen one of the dogs in a while, though now a new dog has appeared in the same yard. S/he isn't broken yet, so whines almost continuously at the door for hours on end with no interaction for the owners.
At what point does something like this transition from poor dog owners to a case of animal cruelty?
- Question- How does citizens arrest work in Juneau? I called JPD for assistance because I witnessed an assault but they did not arrest the person who did the assaulting and threatening.
- Question- Is it possible to contact the owner of a truck that is either abandoned or is being "stored" on 7th street at the top of Seward St.? It is a small grey truck w/ green canopy & has not been moved for several months now. A nearby resident thinks it belongs to someone who lives down on 6th. Parking up here is already like combat parking without this kind of thing.
- Question- I live on Stephen Richards and last night around 10ish I heard 5 shots?
I don't if it was gun shots or fire works.
Did JPD get a call last night for that and if so I was just wondering what it was.
- Question- I want to know if I have never "officially" been served any papers by a police officer/judge any papers. Can I be banned permanently from a "public place"? This is a mixed residential/business.
- Question- would you know ware to get alobster dinner your town.
----- in haines
- Question- Every day there are 2 pickup trucks parked on Eagle street blocking one lane of traffic. Is there anything that can be done about these pickups?
- Question- Dear Dispatcher-
Is it legal for a tour company to use a residential neighborhood as a parking lot? Every night on David St., 4 stretch M&M tour vans park on the street monopolizing over half of the available parking. Each morning the M&M drivers appear, move the vans and then park their personal vehicles in the spot so it will be there when the shift is over. Can they do that?
- Question- Am I required to have a license plate on the front of my car or only on the back?
- Question- Can you please post the 6/5 bulletin? Thanks!
- Question- 3 mornings this week between 700 and 715 a motorcycle has blown down Egan. I've seen him split traffic, move into a merge lane (Yandukin) to pass cars and he has no regard for the speed limit. Please catch this guy!
- Question- Hello, I was on craigslist and I saw a "wanted" add for pallets for some burning man event that used 600 pallets last year. I was under the impression that burning pallets with nails in them was illegal and a big fine for each one. I heard it was out sunshine last year on the beach. Just wondering if anyone would get fined for all the nails?
- Question- My boyfriend is mentally and physically abusive sometimes. I have called the AWARE shelter but they have no room and my family doesn't live here and i have no money to get my own place. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- Question- I submitted a question regarding a truck blocking my driveway. Please disregard, as I got a hold of the contractor and he talked to his employees and fixed the problem. Thanks!
- Question- At 2:53 a.m. Wednesday, JPD investigated a reported kidnapping and assault in the 400 block of Franklin Street.
That is copy and pasted from the Juneau Empire website on 5/17/12. Can you please explain to me why there is not a PSA about it? Seems to me KIDNAPPING AND ASSAULT should get some air time. I pray this victim is okay.
- Question- Hello,
The employees of a local construction company building homes in my neighborhood continually park in front of my mailbox on the street all day while they are working. This prevents my mail from being delivered. I sent an email to the company but there has been no corrective action taken. Is there a law against obstructing the postal service and what recourse do I have to see my mail gets delivered?
- Question- The road on Wood Duck Ave was recently paved last year and No Parking signs were posted on both sides of the road then. The other day I parked my truck directly across from my driveway so that contractors could get access to my property. My truck was parked there for less than one hour and I recieved a parking ticket. Why are there No Parking signs posted on both sides of the street? How am I suppose to allow contractors to come in if they can not legally park anywhere? I also have a baby and parking across the street sometimes helps me to have enough room to unload the truck while wearing the baby.
- Question- For the last month or so, a large truck (AK plate ######) has been parked directly in front of a "No Parking" sign in the 200 block of Gastineau Ave. It appears the owner, who runs a landscaping business, has also started dumping wood and other debris on the hillside right next to the truck. I'm pretty sure this is a "No Parking" zone because the road is too narrow for emergency vehicles to pass when cars are parked on both sides of the street. The truck is usually there in the evening after 7pm, and was still there this morning at 8:20am.
Thanks for all you do, and for this great website!
- Question- My office looks directly over the school bus stop in front of Rainbow Foods downtown. I am shocked at how many cars do not stop when the bus has lights flashing w/stop sign out & is activley loading / unloading students. Yesterday alone I witnessed this happen at least 4 times & it just now happened again. Some of these kids are very young. Is it possible to have an officer nearby to crack down on this before someone gets hurt?
- Question- Do Misdemeanor warrants ever go away?
- Question- Can you still park along the side of the road by the bus barn at deharts with a boat trailer,without getting a ticket.Tourists are hogging all the spots by the landing?????
- Question- In Alaska, what are the training requirements for a 911 Telecommunicator?
- Question- There's a white van with blue stripes parked on David St that has been parked in the same spot for over a week. More vehicles are parking behind it and its making Davis St into a one lane road near the top. Can someone check on that?
- Question- Is there a way to request the speed camera trailer for a certain area in the valley? Lots of kids, next to a park and ball field, in a 25 zone. People fly through the area all the time!! It's riverside dr near melvin park/ lupine lane area. :-)
- Question- What is the law on parking on residential streets in the valley? Some roads get very congested with cars parked on boath sides of the road.
- Question- I'm not real savvy about this new crosswalk by Walmart. When the light turns red, I know I have to stop so the pedestrian can cross the road. The light stays red long after they've crossed the road. So, do I have to stay stopped as long as the light is red? Or after they cross, can I proceed through the red light?
Thanks for clarifying this one for me.
- Question- Now that cruise ships are about to return for the summer, can you tell me what the law is for crosswalks and pedestrians? If I stop for a pedestrian and they cross out of my lane, can I proceed or do I need to wait until they are all the way to the other sidewalk and not just across the center line?
Does the rule change if the road is like Egan by KINY where there are two lanes in each direction?
- Question- What are the hours and location for the upcoming prescription collection/disposal?
P.S. Thanks for all you do!
- Question- Did they extend the date to change studded tires this year? It seems like a LOT of cars still have them on.
- Question- is there somewhere to safely dispose of trash that fits both haz-mat and bio-mat criteria?
- Question- Hello,
I was cited for a parking violation on April 02 in the marine parking garage. As the Officer noted I had the new April month pass in the windshield and viewable. However as I was not able to get down to the parking garage at midnight 01 April and switch the March pass out for the April so I left the March pass hanging on the rearview and as I stated the April pass was viewable and in the windshield as the Officer noted. I do not believe I should have been cited. How do I make sure that I'm not cited again? if I hang both monthly passes on the rearview only one would be viewable. That is exactly why I did what I did last month. Please advise me on how to ensure that I do not get another citation.
- Question- In Alaska, are you allowed to spank your child? In public?
- Question- Was wondering when the list of cars coming up for auction are going to be posted????
- Question- Overnight vehicle campers are back all along Gastineau Avenue. Please enforce/remove them "after hours" and not just M-F 8-4:30. You wouldn't want bums using the streets and ditches as bathrooms in YOUR neighborhood.
- Question- How can you find out what, if anything, was done following a report to the police department? I reported illegal burning/dumping on Montana Creek Road and forwarded photos of the still smoldering pile and an address label on a magazine at the edge of the burn area. I would like to know - did police follow up? Was a citation issued?
- Question- I've contacted AELP a few times now about the big branches they cut down at 412 Gastineau Avenue and just left them piled along side the hill to remove them but they still won't/haven't come. The branches get blown all over the street and on to the cars.
- Question- i know you are from a different state but are you allowed to have a open container in the trunk of your car?
- Question- When will the list of vehicles be posted for the April car auction?
- Question- There was no daily bulletin posting for Saturday 3/17/12, could you post please?
- Question- Parking enforcement doesn't seem to happen any longer on the street in front of the city museum. I see a ******* parked there everyday, sometimes all day (a state worker I think), and there is never a ticket on their car. Signs indicate this is 1/2 hr parking, but no one seems to be checking these spots. They could probably make a bunch of money on parking tickets if they did!
- Question- Do I need a concealed weapons permit in Juneau?
- Question- What do I do if I find a bicycle abandoned on my property?
- Question- I was in the vehicle unloading passengers at 326 4th St when I saw a red truck/suv playing bumber cars trying to get into a spot way too small for the large vehicle. I believe the plate was *****. Do I need to file a report? It appears only the front vehicle, a green volkswagon with hadicap plates, appears to have bumper scraping damage.
- Question- is it illegal to order from this website? http://www.brassknucklescompany.com/CRE/
- Question- At the intersection of Channel drive and Egan, why are people who are turning northbound on egan from glacier hwy yielding to people turning from Channel drive?
At an intersection that is a 2 lane road and 4 lane, where the people turning from the two lane are turning onto the 4 lane and it is a green ball, wouldnt the people turning right have the right of way?
- Question- My neighbors have called the police several times for noise disturbances. I am wondering if I can get the police reports for my address?
- Question- Why are Fireworks not sold within city limits?
- Question- Hello. Can I ride a dirt bike on the low-tide sand flats in the Mendenhall Wetlands? Also, can I hunt ducks in the wetlands? Thank you.
- Question- A parent of one of the students in my son's class is a registered sex offender. Are sex offenders allowed in schools? Spending time in classrooms? Thanks.
- Question- This isn't really a question, more like a suggestion/comment.It would be helpful if you could include the date with each posted question, because a lot of your answers are really useful but also time sensitive, so a person looking up a past answer with the keyword search wouldn't know if the answer was from yesterday, or last year for example and whether updated information was required or not.
- Question- Is JPD no longer doing vacation watch? It's not listed on the site any longer.
- Question- Are there specific knife length laws in Juneau, and if so, would I legally be able to carry a machete if I were to go for a hike to clear obstacles along my path, or would I have to avoid such action?
- Question- A shoe-tosser struck at 2nd and Gold street recently. Is there an easy phone call to make or email I can send to someone to get them removed?
- Question- I am a romantic suspense writer. Can you help me with the vocabulary and terminology a dispatcher would use to send a police officer out on a call? I can give you the exact circumstance of the call that happens in my story
- Question- The parking lot at JDHS has a parking spot reserved for a police car. Is this only applicable during regular school hours or does it remain in effect for evening activities at the school as well?
- Question- I got a parking ticket notice in the mail on a vehicle that I sold a couple years ago. I don't even know who owns it now. Why would JPD still have it under my name and is it my responsibility to pay for whoever owns the truck now?
- Question- About 10 years ago I was at you P.D. when you P.D. was right in town, Tell me do you still sell golf shirts if so can I do it over the computer and if you will can you send me a list of stuff you have for sale.
- Question- What happens to the abandoned vehicles by the tesoro gas station,do they go straight to the dump or do they go to the auction??? Need some parts and dont want to trespass.
- Question- There where 2 fire trucks by my house this am. What was going on? 7520 glacier hwy at 430am.
- Question- I love you guys!
- Question- when is the next vehicle auction?
- Question- There are supposedly "sugar" pills circulating around the schools and on school busses. Do you have any information on them and how are school bus drivers notified? I've heard they are white vitamin c tabs from Costco. It's still bad that they are being sold by kids to kids. Sets things up for later...
- Question- As I was driving to Costco on Sunday about 1:30pm, my daughter and I spotted a lone coyote in the field across the road from Tyler Rental. It was roaming around about 50 yards from the sidewalk & bike path without any apparent fear of people walking by or cars driving by. I was able to get a pic with my phone, but I wasn't able to zoom in enough so it's not a very good pic, although, distinguishable. Should these sightings be reported and to whom? Thank you.
- Question- Why isnt the a section for 2012 press releases?
- Question- Is it illegal to park within a certain distance of a fire hydrant or stop sign on a residential street? If so, who enforces that and what is the penalty? Also, if said vehicle or vehicles are blocking traffic is it an issue?
- Question- I recently called in for JPD to check out a male in a bright yellow jacket assaulting another male on Old Glacier Hwy. near the retaining wall on 1/27/12. I didn't see anything in the police blotter about the man getting arrested for assault. Did I miss it somehow or did JPD not make it in time?
- Question- Today's daily bulletin (1-27-12) states in Case Number 120127-003 that the individual was arrested for FAILURE TO APPEAR ON AN ORIGINAL CHARGE OF MIW 4TH. What is MIW? Thank you!
- Question- I was looking on your website for something else, and found your Vacation Watch service. That's a wonderful service. Seeing things like this make me so happy to live in Juneau. Thank you!
- Question- The daily Bulletin for 1/24/2012 says there was a walk away from Gastineau Manor. States that there will be a report to follow. How long does that usually take?
- Question- I'd like to add some follow up information about the question concerning driver right of way when turning left on a green light, specifically at Haloff Street.
I too use the Stephen Richards side of that intersection each morning and have to contend with the desperate drivers turning left from Haloff and indeed, they do make risky maneuvers to get onto Loop Road. I don’t blame them because they would never make it out of Haloff if they didn’t drive aggressively. The intersection is poorly designed for that turning movement. Because of this, I called DOT and spoke with their traffic engineer and he is fully aware of the issue and they are currently designing the fix to be built this summer. It will involve widening the Stephen Richards side of the intersection and southbound Loop Road into three lanes: Left turn, Straight and Right turn. Haloff Drivers will have their own green light and turning movement so that they do not have to compete with drivers turning right from Stephen Richards.
I for one can’t wait for this improvement as it will reduce the stress of driving to work for a lot of people in the valley!
- Question- I'm considering becoming a "freegan" which entails dumpster diving. Is dumpster diving illegal?
- Question- I just want to make sure I'm right here...
Traffic turning LEFT on a green light (with NO left turn arrow) are supposed to yield to traffic going STRAIGHT or turning RIGHT at the same light...correct?
I live off of Stephen Richards and am presented with this situation EVERY DAY when it comes to the intersection at Mendenhall Loop. I've seen people turning left from Haloff onto Mendenhall Loop road with absolute disregard for the traffic who has the right of way, who nearly cause accidents, and hold up the normal flow of traffic due to their arrogance.
Getting a bit frustrated, just wanted to ask...I know the public reads these, and maybe your answer could raise some awareness of common traffic laws.
- Question- Is the city planning on replacing/having the contractor replace the STOP sign at the corner of Fifth St. and Main St. (on Fifth)? Given the start of Legislative Session last week, it's critical to the safety of everyone, but especially pedestrians, to have that sign back in place. The road work has been done for ages now, and the sign is still not in place. Thank you.
Along similar lines, now that Session is underway, is JPD planning to increase parking and traffic patrols in downtown, particularly in the area near the Capitol? It would be beneficial to have increased JDP presence in the area to remind all drivers of the basic driving, traffic, and parking laws (i.e. Seward St. is a ONE WAY street going DOWN the hill, so they shouldn't be turning left out of the lower level of the Capitol parking lot; those big octagonal red signs mean STOP not just slow down only if you feel like; "No Parking Here to Corner" signs mean exactly that; pedestrians in cross walks aren't to be run over; parking in front of fire hydrants is illegal; etc.).
Thank you for all you do to keep our city safe.
- Question- When there is a No Parking sign with an arrow pointing in both directions what is the closest you can park to the sign? What tools can citizens use to find simular answers on our own?
- Question- Regarding the accident on the Mendenhall River Bridge Wednesday night, why did the officers allow everyone to drive all the way up to the accident scene only to be turned around and sent back towards Loop Road when it would have made more sense to be detoured at Mint Way?
- Question- There was an abandoned car picked up on Ladd Street a few weeks ago after it had sat there for about a week - but the mattresses that were dumped beside it have been found thrown in the creek on private property across the street. When abandoned cars are removed, does the personal property go with it. This is an extreme expense and inconvenience to private property owners who end up with someone else's junk on their property.
- Question- Thank you for finding the Crime Reports button for me. I'm having a hard time believing that crimes are happening only in the downtown area . . . especially when I read the police blotter in the Empire. Are crimes happening in other parts of the city? Why aren't they being plotted? The downtown information doesn't help me very much if I'm looking for a house on North Douglas or the Valley or elsewhere.
- Question- How long does it take from when someone gets in trouble for the officers to complete the paperwork, turn it into the DA's office and for the charges to show up in the court records online with a case number?
- Question- Who would I call when I see a car parked in a handicap spot without a sign hanging inside the car or license plates without the handicap marking? Am I allowed to take a picture of the car in question?
- Question- Where are you finding "crime mapping"? It's not on my computer on the left side of the menu bar, and I even had a friend check so I wasn't missing it.
- Question- We are looking at a home in the ........ area of the Mendenhall Valley. Is there a higher than average level of crime activity or police reports that originate in this area?
- Question- With all these shootings that have happened is there an update on ...... who was accidently shot on a hunting trip? Have not heard anything about him.. Just wanted to know if he is okay or did he die.. Thank you
- Question- My neighbor occasionally burns stuff in his back yard. I'm okay with wood smoke but his trash burn smells like chemicals. I'm worried for the health of my pets, who need to be outside intermittantly during his burns. Also, if we have any windows open (like hot summer nights), the chemical smell seeps into our house and I have breathing problems (nothing major - probably just allergy stuff).
Are there limitations to what people can burn in their yard?
- Question- Is there any update on the identity of the man involved in the shooting/suicide from last week? Thanks!
- Question- my daughter and her boy friend have broke up and he refuses to let her get her things out of the house can jpd help or do i have to come to juneau to handle the situation
- Question- I just wanted to say Thank you to all of the dispatch officers who have had to handle all these unusual Juneau Crimes from armed robberies, to people getting shot. For keeping the community as safe as you can.. I know that your job is stressful but to add all these new calls can make your job more stressful. So thank you for getting these calls taken care of and for doing your best to keep the community safe.. I know that there a few people out there that dont have a lot of respect for you all but keep in mind that there are a lot more people that do. So thank you all for sticking to the job that I think has to be one of the hardest ones to do.. I commend you all deeply.. Keep it up.. JDP and CCF/R wouldnt be needed if we didnt have you all to get the calls out to them in a timely manner..
- Question- So...fireworks are legal to set off in a residential neighborhood? Please elaborate for all.
- Question- Is there any update on the Ford truck that took out the power pole "out the road" near the shrine? Was the driver ever identified?
- Question- Someone abandoned a boat and trailer in the lot across from super bear.How would someone go about claiming it.I need a trailer.
- Question- is montana creek road getting blocked off i heard that it was???
- Question- when is the next action? for vehicles.
- Question- daily bullietin fron 12/18 was not posted, please post. Thanks!
- Question- Incident: #111218-009
Now Why is that intersection not revamped with a light? That was a working intersection with a light, k-mart left, the light was covered, someone came up with the idea of the overpass, light was moved.... but the bus stop, and crossing remain. Poor lighting, no crossing signal, add a pedestrian in black that thinks they own the road since they are on foot... By grace of god alone, they lived. Must someone really die there before the City does anything about the problem?
- Question- Early this morning (Sunday) my roommate and I swear that we heard a small pack of coyotes howling near the Spruce St. cemetery in downtown Juneau. The activity lasted for at least half an hour and was very loud. It ended after a gunshot was fired, presumably by the police? We are unable to verify any of this on local news stations so we were hoping that you could confirm.
- Question- Are all dispatchers as babelicious as they sound ?
- Question- Where can I access a list of all current inmates at the Lemon Creek Correctional facility?
- Question- Given that EVERYONE in Juneau is world class driver, and most are able to drive backwards while blindfolded... or so they think, When is JPD going to start enforcing the laws on Egan? It is nothing to see a marked unit pulled over in one of several spots (south of the access by mapco, north of the retaining wall, south end of the retaining wall). Nor is it anything new to see people passing marked cars in excess of 60 mph. If JPD is unwilling, Or unable to enforce the laws as charged, how does anyone expect the exceptional drivers in Juneau to bother to slow down when it snows? After all, four-wheel slide is standard now
- Question- The 11/22/11 bulletin is missing. Thanks!
- Question- City Ordinance states in 42.20.060:(a)except as authorized by a federal or state permit, it is unlawful for any person to carry any firearm, or any deadly weapon of any kind, in a concealed manner.(b)Carrying deadly weapons is a Class B misdemeanor. The way I read this is that it is unlawful by city ordinance to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Alaska Statute states in Sec. 18.65.778. Municipal preemption. A municipality may not restrict the carrying of a concealed handgun by permit under AS 18.65.700 - 18.65.790. This appear to me to indicate that municipalities may not restrict the carrying of concealed weapons to permit holders. Can you shed light on this this apparent contradiction? If you think I am reading those right and they are at odds, I would specifically like to know what the ramifications are if I happen to carry a concealed weapon without a permit and am contacted by a JPD officer. When I comply with the law that I inform them of the weapon I am carrying, are they going to try to enforce the city ordinance or defer to the state statute?
- Question- When you buy a new/used vehicle, how long do you have to get your insurance changed to the uninsured vehicle. I was under the impression that it was 30 days from the pruchase date with proof of purchase. A trooper I talked to said its illegal to not have insurance on a vehicle in the state of AK at any time.
- Question- Is there a zero tolerance policy for driving without a license on your person(even if you have a valid one)?
It seems like there are a lot of cases with people getting their cars impounded for not having a license. Is it because they don't have a valid license? What if you have a valid license but forget to bring it? It seems to me that if you forget your DL it doesn't take much to look you up, especially if you know your DL number (I personally remember numbers better than my wallet, for the most part). Thanks!
- Question- Hello, My name is --------. I heard you have my son, -------incarcerrated either with city or sheriff, I don't know which one. Is there a way I can find out and what he is charged with and his bond if he has one. My contact information is...------------.
- Question- This morning I parked in the lot across from the Baranof and used the meter in front on Franklin to register my vehicle for the free 2 hour parking. I noticed the back of my receipt said I didn't need to post in on my dash - just hold on to it. When I got back to my vehicle an hour later I had a ticket waiting for me. What do I do now?
- Question- How do you go about getting a restraining order.
- Question- There is no November 28 daily bulletin. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- There is no daily report for November 14th. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- What is the difference between the cop cars that say "City and Borough of Juneau" on the side and the ones that say "Juneau Police" on the side?
- Question- I have a question. I know that JPD has a file on most people in town, and that they have very specific info from their car computers. Is there anyway to get a copy of EVERYTHING JPD has on me? Not just the cases/tickets; but all the notes, comments, reported things ive done, etc....?
- Question- There needs to be a better system than the crimeline because by the time any tip is actually read, the information is so old, the people have most likely moved around. It's hard to keep faith in those who are supposed to protect us when they have been given the information needed but still don't do anything about it.
- Question- If two people are in a single car accident and both people are okay and the only damage was done to the car and the people can get the car from the scene safely and by themselves, are you still required to report it?
- Question- is this a real & true law? is it true that the legal parent can be charged with endangerment?
Sec. 11.51.100. Endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree(a) A person commits the crime of endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree if, being a parent, guardian, or other person legally charged with the care of a child under 16 years of age, the person
(1) intentionally deserts the child in a place under circumstances creating a substantial risk of physical injury to the child;
(2) leaves the child with another person who is not a parent, guardian, or lawful custodian of the child knowing that the person
(A) is registered or required to register as a sex offender under AS 12.63 or a law or ordinance in another jurisdiction with similar requirements;
(B) has been charged by complaint, information, or indictment with a violation of AS 11.41.410--11.41.455 or a law or ordinance in another jurisdiction with similar elements; or
(C) has been charged by complaint, information, or indictment with an attempt, solicitation, or conspiracy to commit a crime described in (B) of this paragraph; or
(3) leaves the child with another person knowing that the person has previously physically mistreated or had sexual contact with any child, and the other person causes physical injury or engages in sexual contact with the child.
has any parent been charged with this offence?
- Question- Let's say a woman gets raped and a policeman just happens to drive by and see but before he can pull over the man runs away. If the vitim doesn't want to talk about it, report it, etc; can she get charged for not complying with the officer? This scenerio is unlikely, but I was just wondering what a vitim's rights were if this, or something like it were to happen.
- Question- Just want to say what a good job the D.A.R.E. program and T.A.T.U. program has done with kids and smoking. I got out of high school not so long ago and most kids my age really hate just the smell of it and usually tease the kids who do smoke for smoking. Just goes to show that even eight years ago when I was in the fifth grade these prgrams were doing wonderful, can't imagine how well they must be doing now! Thank guys!
- Question- Does jpd have a regular eye exam for its officers?? I was sitting at the light at walmart getting on the ramp to egan and the car beside me clearly had expired tags,april expired,behind her was one distracted officer,who for what ever reason didnt notice.
- Question- How do I get a copy of a conditions of release? I would like to see the conditions in which ...... was released on 3rd party bail. On September 18th this person was trying to get perscription medication. I would think because of her charges, that this person wouldn't be allowed more drugs while out on bail.
- Question- What is the proper headlights for vehicles? I keep seeing green, blue, purple tinted (cont)
- Question- If someone is known as a SAM (sexual abuse on minors, or sexual assult) can someone still do a ride along jpd, or as I have read a ride a long with dispatch? Also I was reading about this JCP programs what are some guide lines to enter? If someone has a background or a criminal record all of them mistormenors can they still do a ride along? Also is there a way to do a ride a long with these JCP people?
- Question- Are there any updates on Scott Walkenford? Haven't heard anything in awhile so I'd thought I'd ask.
- Question- Why can't we laminate our Social Security Cards? I'm about twenty and mine's already starting to wear and I don't want to end up accidentally tearing it.
- Question- I'm thirty years old and happily married to a wonderful man and have great kids. Only problem is that he's a registered sex offender. He was eighteen and knocked up his fifteen-year-old girlfriend, and her parent's pressed charges. Is there anyway to get his name taken off this awful list? We've been kicked out of neighborhoods countless times, he can't get good jobs, our kids have trouble making friends because no one wants their children staying over at our house; all because no one really bothers to take the time to look up what kind of sex offender he is listed as. I feel that people in these situations end up being labeled as perverts and pedofiles when he really didn't commit much of a crime. Any way to help this situation?
- Question- I asked a question a week or so ago that has yet to be posted. i did not include anything offensive, anyone's personal information or even anything in criticism of JPD. Yet there has been no response to my question. How do dispatchers decide which questions to answer and which to ignore or avoid?
- Question- Is there a way that I can volunteer to help JPD with traffic control, or just help or assist them in anyway? I just want to give back to my community and help try to make Juneau a safer place it there are extra eyes out there for JPD. Since there are so many officers and a whole more people here. Down south we had something like that. I know you can volunteer for the fire deparment here so can you volunteer with JDP and be just as hands on as the volunteer fire fighters are? If so, who do I contact?
- Question- A friend of mine saw a moose out the road and took pictures and everything. Since when does Juneau have moose??!!
- Question- Thanks to the Community Officers for tagging the abandoned cars on Gastineau! But, once again, the yellow Safari van, license GAU542 is back and parked there almost 24/7. Sometimes they leave before 8am and returning after 5pm to make sure they aren't seen my the Comm. Officers. They also have a puppy that sits in this van all day and night! My neighborhood is extremely exhauseted from seeing homeless people camping out of their vehicles and parking on our street! What can be done about this?
- Question- If you enter a school zone when the lights are flashing, and while you're in the zone the lights stop flashing, what is the speed limit? There are a couple of looooooonng school zones in the valley and somehow I always seem to be in one when the lights change.
- Question- I had a piece of expensive jewelry stolen while in a domestic relationship. I know who took it as does my previous partner. the item has been missing for about 3 months. I gave the ex time to get it back from his child, who stole it. the item is not returned. Can I still file a police report of the stolen item?
- Question- Just wondering about the shooting at Switzer Village last night?
- Question- I'm nineteen and am married to a twenty-one year old. Is it legal for me to drink alcohol at a restaurant with him? Or does it have to be inside our home?
- Question- My dad likes to burn wood, cardboard, etc, in the fire pit in our backyard instead of spending money taking it to the dump; but our neighbors behind us to the left don't like it, particularly the wife of the house who claims she likes to garden and doesn't like the smoke in her face while she's doing this. My dad has gone over there and asked them if he could work out times which he would be aloud to burn, even offering to do it at night while they sleep. The husband has agreed to this but his wife still won't budge. Would it be okay if my dad just did it anyway? Or could they report him and he get in any sort of trouble?
- Question- I was just wondering. If a police officer is breaking a traffic law (speeding, swerving, etc) can another police officer pull him/her over?
- Question- What happened to the person who passed away on 5th street?
- Question- yesterday I was chatting with my friends with my dog. I happened to be off the sidewalk but not in the road by any means. But even if I were it was inside a crosswalk. A man turning the corner too tight ran over my dog's tail and hit my backpack. He stopped to yell obscenities at me than he sped off before I could say anything. My dog's tail is injured. I have his license plate and know what kind of car he was driving. Would this be considered a hit and run? I didn't want to bother calling the police because I'm not sure if I even have a case.
- Question- Hoe does JPD determine or decide what goes in the daily bulletin, what needs a press release and what doesn't?
- Question- If you have been ordered not to have any firearms, and you're living with someone else who has firearms, will the homeowner get in trouble?
- Question- How does someone turn him or herself in on a misdemeanor warrant?
- Question- Hello, how many operators do you have working in your Communication's Center?
- Question- do you want people to report to jpd if there is people coming up to our houses and asking about personnel info or do you want us to shut the door in their face and have them leave?
- Question- when is JPD doing their vehicle auction again?
- Question- Given the "questionable" people selling books and other goodies. And the police departments (or atleast dispatch's) lack of desire to do more than give the blanket statement that 'we know'. How far can we go in 'defense' of life or property?
I question this due to the nature of the subjects in question. Given their dress code (what you would expect from someone being lodged at the johnson to be wearing) The pundgent scent of leafy green things (not peppermint, and the personal questions reguarding hours of work, if the dogs bite, how much you make...
I have had two run ins with one of the groups today. First, while working. Where one of the subjects "knew" the former occupant of the residence i was working on. This struck me as odd for two reasons. 1. The former occupant is in jail on meth charges. And 2. the 'salesmen' is from gig harbor Wa, and only up here on the company dime.
The 2nd run in, the 'subjects' walked past atleast 6 other residences that were 'up', walked to the end of the street, then turned around and stop on my doorstep. After being told that i was not intrested several times, they pushed on, offering a COPY of a FAX that was a COPY of an ABL. After the subjects in question left (in the direction they came from) and again walked by several houses that were light, i drove around the area to see if i could locate them. In my trip around the block, i found three (3) other partys. All having the same bundle of papers in their back pocket. One, being solo, was tucked between the fence and the treeline at Glicerview park. A lady walking her less than ammused dog in the area rousted him out. Another pair were on the corner of stephen richards and riverside. They hit the trees behind sprusewood as i turned the corner. A third pair was in the area of Longrun, waking tword town.
I do not question the Company, but i seriously question the 'salesmen'. And somehow the responce of "we have had several call about them, and we are contacting the company tomarow" dosnt help me sleep.
- Question- Hi there,
I'm about to start work on a short novel involving emergency dispatchers for my college creative writing course, and I was wondering if you could help me out with a few queries. Any help would be really appreciated.
1. If you're in the middle of a call, do you wear belt-clip units or something that allow you to roam away from your computer while still remaining on the call?
2. What are emergency dispatch centers "busy" periods? When would you be on high-alert? I realize of course that working dispatch means you're ALWAYS on "high" alert, but are there periods that you get more calls during? New Years Eve perhaps?
3. Are calls traced instantly? Is there a way for a caller to not have his phone-number/location revealed to you? Or are these immediately on your screens the moment the calls come in?
4. Are old dispatch recordings kept on tapes, or digital? Is there some employee-only company database that is searchable to pull old calls from?
5. What is the official title for the 'Head Supervisor' of the dispatch center?
- Question- This email is going around.....are these plastic bottle really dangerous? If so, it makes me very nervous to even have my child playing outside. We have heard "shot gun" noises the past month in our valley neighborhood.
This isn't only happening on our street, so passing this along so everyone can keep watch.
I'm sure you've heard of the plastic bottle bombs. We've been hearing unexplained explosions/shots/noises lately, as have some of our neighbors.
Last night when our neighbor he was walking his dogs, he found an exploded plastic bottle bomb in the ditch not far from our mailbox ~ foil was laying all over the street and some in the ditch. He also found 3 more in front of 2 other neighbors (same side of street).
He called the police and when an officer arrived, he took the one in front of our house for evidence and told our neighbors they could throw the others away. With all the rain lately, it'll be next to impossible to get any fingerprints.
The one that was found in front of our house I heard last Thursday evening ~ sounded like someone had moved the cannon from the football field into our front yard. Shook the whole house, not to mention scaring our animals.
So we just want to get the word around. Do NOT hesitate to call the police if you hear something or see anything similar. Think about what would happen if an animal or kid walked up to one of those bottles that hadn't gone off yet. It's just a matter of time before that happens. And when you open your mailbox, look inside before reaching in!
They can't catch these idiots without the public's help.
Thanks everyone ~ be safe!
- Question- Just woundering if the investigation of the fatal MVA out at 32 mile is finished, Seems like we never hear much after the initial press release. I've seen the survivors name recently on the court docket.
- Question- When is the next JPD vehicle auction?
- Question- Is there an update on the man found dead in the ditch this (Friday) morning?
- Question- Are there dispatch positions available? I keep hearing the dispatch center is running everyone in overtime, yet there is no jobs posted. The only link of testing times http://www.juneau.org/personnel/documents/JPDTestingDates8-16-10.doc
leads to a screen stating that the next testing is March 29, 2011. (also the email Human Resources@ci.juneau.ak.us does not state whether it has a underscore or is one word spaces are not allowed in emails) Any information would be appreciated.
- Question- There is no daily bulletin for August 17th. Thanks.
- Question- I know a man who is on the sex offender registry and was recently out of compliance. I checked again today to see if he had been found yet, and it appears he has. The website says he has registered in an outlying community. Is there somewhere someone can call to speak with a person and get more details on the current living situations of these people? I'd certainly like to know what "outlying community" he is residing in. Thanks!!!
- Question- There is no Daily Bulletin for Sunday, 8-14-11. Thank you!
- Question- How does JPD determine who to arrest and not? It seems like it should be determined by wether they committed a crime or not. Lately, I have seen some pretty serious incidents in juneau, yet there havent been any arrests. Specifically the stabbing that occured a couple months ago that you guys did such a great investigation on. The CRIMINAL (The guy who did the STABBING) is free because the VICTIM was too scared to call the police, for fear of HIM going to jail for being a VICTIM. So the CRIMINAL, the man who stabbed another man, calls police, gives them some story, and gets off scott free. Then, a couple weeks ago, there was a rape, and there was quite a hubaloo about it, what with police picking kids up, releasing one, moving the other, questioning people, giving people rides to the hosiptal for rape kits, yet i didnt see ANYTHING related to it in the juneau empire, not on the police website. Heres the kicker. I watched police arrest a man for calling a cop a fat pig. Come to find out, the man got 80 hours of community service, and a load of jailtime hanging over his head for it. How in the world do you police officers decide to arrest and criminalize a drunken young man, yet let stabbers and rapists run free. Is there statutes or something you guys follow when making arrests? If so, can you start doing it please so juneau can be safer?
- Question- am wondering is a I..... C... has been arrested today or this evening ?
- Question- I was wondering who is responsible for cleaning up debris after a car accident. Last week, there was a wreck on corner of Valley Boulevard and Back Loop Road and there's still a big mess on the road.
Have a great day and keep up the good work!
- Question- Is there or isn't there a state of AK penalty in Juneau for less than 4 ounces of marijuana plant or dried???
See Unclear Copied Text Below:
Dear Juneau Resident,
There is no way to smoke marijuana legally in the United States because federal law makes its possession, in any amount, illegal.
States may decide to have criminal consequences only in certain cases but state laws can’t trump federal laws or shield a resident from federal prosecution.
As far as understanding Alaska law, JPD’s drug unit weighed in to help answer that question. There is no statute saying you can possess marijuana, it's just that there are no criminal penalties for possession of less than four ounces (plant or dried) in your home. The original case that addressed the issue in Alaska was Ravin v. State in 1975. That decision was later overturned by the legislature, and possession of any usable amount of marijuana was given criminal consequences in Alaska in 1990. The law remained this way until Noy v. State in 2003 when the Alaska Court of Appeals reaffirmed the 1975 Ravin decision of the Alaska Supreme Court. The state does maintain that marijuana on your person in public or in your car is illegal and there are penalties for any amount.
- Question- Why doesnt jpd have an officer stationed at auke bay to reel in those tour bus operators who think they own the place.Ive tried to launch the boat several times only to find a greyline bus parked (on) the ramp.Not only that,their parked in the handicapped spaces too.
- Question- Is it illegal in ak to park within a certain distance of a stop sign? Even if there is no sign saying not to park there? Since they completed construction on 4th St downtown, they haven't replaced the sign, and it's become a safety hazard. Cars parked immediatley in front of the sign prevent traffic from forming two lanes at the intersection.
- Question- I lost a Panasonic Lumix camera on the beach at False Outer Point on July 22. Has anyone turned in a digital camera?
Thank you. My phone number is ....
- Question- Is it illegal to give money to those panhandling on the sidewalks downtown? If not, it it routine for JPD officers to harass citizens who DO give money? Just wondering....
- Question- I know of a registered sex offender who was recently evicted. He is homeless and I'm 95% sure he hasn't notified anyone that he has left that residence. Is that illegal and if so how can I go about reporting him?
- Question- Just out of curiosity, has the number of parking tickets issued downtown increased or decreased since the parking meters went in?
- Question- Hi. I was wondering how you decide which dispatcher will answer these, or is it always the same one? I think the idea is neat to get to interact with dispatchers without being a nuisance. I think it would be cool to have the dispatchers sign the responses, just like they give their names when you call. That is one of the few things that would make your awesome program even better.
- Question- what does vcor stand for?
- Question- If an individual is cited for DWOL, is the car always impounded? The posted report doesn't always say that, and I'm wondering if everyone is getting the same treatment or if some are cited and allowed to drive away. Thanks for taking time to respond.
- Question- was there more info on this it keep us up most of the night?
110712-022 MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH
UPON JPD RESPONSE TO A TWO-VEHICLE ACCIDENT, 37-YEAR-OLD FEMALE EDDY RODRIGUEZ WAS
CITED AND RELEASED FOR DUI AND REFUSAL.
MVC - DWI Involved
MVC - DWI Involved
- Question- About the impound auction.If you charge 10.00 to bid and a minimum of 25.00 per car would you make money? I picked up a honda for 5.00 thats still running.Just a thought
- Question- On 7-12-2011 it says there was a DWI crash at 21:54 and to see news release but there is no news release.
- Question- I noticed in today's activity bulletin that case #110712-022 refers to "See News Release" however, there is no associated news release in the news release section. Is a news release forthcoming? Thanks!
- Question- There is no bulletin for Monday, July 11th. Thank you for getting it posted.
- Question- Thank you for making an arrest in the Rian Orr case and letting us know!
- Question- Who do I contact regarding having streets signs that say "Turn around here" and "No outlet" posted on my street?
- Question- Are the results of the online survey going to be made available for the public to view?
- Question- I haven't seen anything on what that big boom was at 1am on glacier view sound like a gun the first time then it was a loud boom and I saw orange and smoke by duck creek
- Question- Early this morning (7/6/11) between 00:30-01:00, there were two gigantic explosions in the valley. These were absolutely NOT fireworks.
Did JPD receive reports of these explosions - and if so, was the source determined?
- Question- What exactly does the law state reguarding fireworks i juneau?
Any time i have raised a complaint about the loud booms in the valley at night (21:00-01:00) i am told that there is nothing JPD can do about it, yet i can not count the number of 'violations' that aired between 21:00 and 23:00 on the 3rd.
- Question- What do the police do if you are notified of a unsupervised party involving drinking, drugs and minors?
- Question- JPD planted question-
I would like to weigh in on what community issues I think are the most important for JPD to address. How do I tell JPD what I am thinking?
- Question- That single vehicle motor roll over was reported on 6-22-11. The driver was cited for driving without a valid license and Careless Driving. The activity bulletin indicated JPD responded to the call but did not list charges but the driver was cited at the hospital.
In regards to this, was she not revoked? your report says ALC involved, so I take it she wasn't over the limit? No insurance on the vehicle?
- Question- Any idea when the next impound auction is????
- Question- When I try to open the Daily Bulletin for June 24th, I keep getting a message that the file is corrupted and cannot be opened. Can you fix that? Thank you.
- Question- Whats the status on the recent 6/16 assault investigation? Did you guys find out how the 24 year old ended up cut? Is the guy who cut him in jail yet? If not, why?
- Question- Where do you go to pay a ticket.There isnt an address on the back??
- Question- Does having handicap license plates entitle drivers to anything other than a handicap parking space? I see people all the time driving recklessly and in some cases dangerously and then notice that they have handicap plates. When people request handicap plates are they re-tested to ensure that they can drive safely and/or properly follow the rules of the road? Thank you.
- Question- Regarding the accident at 24 mile the other day. It is my understanding that the girl was drinking, had no license, and recently had gotten a DWI. How come nothing was reported about that?
- Question- The 6/18 report is missing. Thanks!
- Question- If there is not a sign stating "no parking" 2 cars park across from each other blocking traffic, is neither violating parking laws?
- Question- I am interested in becoming a dispatcher. The CBJ website doesn't list the next available testing dates or hiring dates - does anyone know them? I've heard through the grapevine that you are very short handed.
- Question- There are several vehicles that homeless people are living out of at the end of Gastineau Avenue. Every single day the following vans overnight then leave quickly in the morning. They are littering and using the ditch as their bathroom. Please check frequently between hours of 4:00pm and 7:00am. Licence plate #'s: ----- (green ---), ---- (yellow ----) and ----- plates. Thanks!
- Question- What is the legal drinking limit for CDL drivers? I have a Class A, in the DMV manual it says that it is .04%. Does this only apply if you are operating a commericial vehicle? Or does it carry over to personally owned vehicles as well? I had an unreliable source say that they recently changed it to .02 for both CMV and POV's. Could you shed some light on these questions please?
- Question- One of my neighbors thinks that the best way to exercise his dogs is to ride his 4-wheeler around the neighborhood and have the dogs chase it. I told him a while back that he couldn't legally ride the 4-wheeler on a street, and he told me that he had "already talked to JPD and they say it's fine". The fact that he doesn't go onto collector roads indicates to me that he knows it's wrong. What's the truth?
- Question- Can anything be done about construction noise which starts up on the weekend before 7:00 AM? I live in the area of Skaters Cabin Road and they start using heavy machinery to dig, crush rocks, or whatever it is they do in the gravel pit really early on the weekends.
- Question- 11 police cars traveled out Glacier Hwy tonight past the ferry terminal at a high rate of speed with sirens going. Can you share what caused all the commotion?
- Question- I see a lot of people gathering large rocks from the Stabler's Point Quarry near the roadside and have wondered if they are breaking any laws. It seems like the CBJ blasts the rock and it's not for public consumption. Can you shed any light on this? Thanks!
- Question- When someone gets arrested, for anything (mc, false information, DUI), do you guys ever look into the fact that they have a child
At home? Or is that conpletely irrelevant to you guys? I
Know a mom that has been arrested 3 times within a few months and the dad also the dad for DUI. this is not a good home for the child at all. I guess what I'm asking is if behavior causing you to get arrested several times, enough to make a report to OCS or does the child have to be directly harmed?
- Question- I know it's not ideal, but is it legal to have a rear-facing infant car seat in the front seat of a truck? There is not an airbag in the truck in question.
- Question- Last Thursday I read a handwritten note on the bulletin board at the Mendenhall Mall about a rape/sexual assault that occurred near Duck Creek Market. The note said that a female was walking down the street and a van pulled over and forced her inside. The note said that the rape/sexual assault was not on the news or in the paper, it also had the first 2 letters of the supposed van's license plate.
Is this true?
- Question- The 5/27 report is missing. Thanks!
- Question- So. Back to the bike on the highway question. When I read the ordinance:
Here is that ordinance:
72.02.400 - Riding on roadways and paths.
A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, and shall give way to the right as far as practicable to a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction when the driver of the motor vehicle gives an audible signal.
Persons riding bicycles on a roadway may not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding bicycles two abreast may not impede traffic and, in a laned roadway, shall ride within the farthest right lane.
In (a) - are we in cars supposed to honk as we approach a bicycle from behind so they know we are coming?
In (b) - IF the bicyclists WOULD RIDE SINGLE FILE IN THE BIKE LANE ON THE HIGHWAY BEYOND AUKE BAY, it would be MUCH safer! Since I live out there, I can't tell you how many times I've come around one of those curves doing the speed limit only to find a bicyclist IN my lane of traffic. One of these days, one of them is going to end up dead when the driver can't swerve into the oncoming lane because a vehicle is coming.
- Question- I often see bicyclist riding on the solid white line and even encroach on to the highway lane causing vehicles to slow down, sometimes stop or even causing drivers to veer towards oncoming traffic. Can they be ticketed for causing unsafe driving conditions for others? I do believe their bike lane allows for ample riding room if they drive in the center of their bike lane.
- Question- My neighbor was involved in a car crash involving a fatality a few winters ago. He has never requested the final police report for the accident. His wife seems to think he needs the report. What is your opinion? Does he need the report? If he does, why?
- Question- Can you tell me what the laws are for operating motorized bicycles on public roads and bike paths in Juneau? This would be a normal bicycle that has a small 2 or 4 stroke gas engine added to it and driven by a belt or chain.
Where can/can't they be ridden and is there a speed limit, engine size limit, etc.
- Question- To Whom it may concern,
My name is ..... My email is ..... I'm not sure if there is any truth to this, but I heard earlier today that there was a group of guys that watch and wait for a girl to be alone either during the day or evening then grab her, rape and beat her and that it has happened at least 4 times? I also noticed an increased police presence during lunch downtown today. Whats the deal? The sole reason I'm asking is to try to keep my friends safe.
- Question- So . . . back to the bus question. How far out the road is considered "non-urban". The school bus in question had ample opportunities to pull off and allow traffic to go by between the Ferry Terminal and where it turned off Glacier Highway onto Glacier where Egan begins across from Safeway. You can imagine how long the string of vehicles was behind the bus that kept stopping to pick up students.
Thank you for answering this one. As many of us know, the buses can really be a deterrent to getting to work on time even when we attempt to plan to drive between the different route times. Thank God school is out this week, and the buses will not be running!
- Question- I was driving down Egan when I noticed a white van in front of me had a propane tank strapped to the back. When I passed the vehicle I witnessed the driver toss out his cigarette and it landed near the propane tank and eventually hit the road.
I think this should be illegal and the van needs to take it down. What happens if that vehicle crashes into something or another large vehicle like a truck rear ends it? There would be an explosion and possibly a loss of life! Ive seen the vehicle a few times in two weeks so I know the vehicle isn't just transporting the tank from A to B. It's scary to drive around that vehicle and they should be forced to take it down!!
- Question- Thanks for taking part in The Law Enforcement Torch Run & Pledge Drive for Special Olympics. You guys give back to our community in so many ways, know it's appreciated!
- Question- I have a 2 car seats and a booster chair that I was looking to get rid of. I was going to consign them but was told they can't accept them. I then thought about danating them but sounds to me like they won't be accepted. What can one do with used car seats and booter seats? I worry that they may not even sell at a garage sale or on juneau parents ect. They are all nice and have never been involved in any accidents. I'd hate to have to send several hunderd dollars of items to the dump!!
- Question- Isn't it law that someone impeding traffic (like a school bus) is supposed to pull over and let the vehicles go by after there are five or so vehicles behind the slow vehicle? That was law in another state I lived in. Thanks!
- Question- Hoping all will resolve peacefully on Distin Ave tonight, Praying everyone involved comes out uninjured, may our officers stay safe out there, and their guns stay unfired. We can't imagine the intensity in a situation like this, we're praying for you all out there though.
- Question- I dont understand when my boyfriend got pulled over for speeding and driving without a license. taking me to the hospital because my friend was in labor he gets his truck impounded and manditory court and threaten that if he gets pulled over agan he will have a year in jail... then the other night someone I know got pulled over by the same cop for drinking and driving and with no license and nothing happens to him. his truck didnt get impounded, he didnt get a ticket nothing, To me thats not fair and that cop needs to treat people the same.
- Question- If Im being threatened by someone and I have it on tape, is there a way i can get a restraining order or something, cause i feel as this person is going to try and hurt me?
- Question- I talked to a friend who is a drug abuse counselor and she said one of her clients is a drug dealer(who left treatment early to go home and pick up her drugs at her house and deal) who stated she had multiple kids dealing drugs at JDHS during lunch, and her average daily take was over $11,000 dollars. Is JPD aware of this? and what is being done about it? Also the dealer makes regular trips to LA to go shopping. Good God, something needs to be done to stop these dealers!
- Question- Best way to get into my car with my keys and purse locked inside? Do I have to scroll through all your questions - I hate to ask a repeat question. Unless other people aren't thise dumb...
- Question- Yesterday's daily bulletin hasn't posted yet...thanks! (For May 10th)
- Question- I work as a 911/dispatcher in Nevada. My fellow dispatchers and I were discussing the graveyard shift. We wanted to know if it is easier to work the graveyard shift in Alaska during your winter when it is dark most of the day?
- Question- The May 8th Daily Bulletin isn't there . . . Thanks!
- Question- was the fred meyer hold up real or just a rumor? and if it was true did they catch the person?
- Question- Is Frederick Howard still missing? If he is why don't you put a picture on the "Missing persons"? Also didn't he used to live in Pelican?
- Question- When someone is in jail why cant they call cell phone?? when most people dont have home phones anymore. I just dont get it.
- Question- Just a quick note to let you know that Community Service Officer Bob Dilley was doing a fantastic job of directing traffic at the Riverside Drive and Eagan intersection this morning after a traffic light malfunction. He clearly communicated with the drivers, making eye contact to assure a common understanding, and didn't make any cars wait too long. Great job, Officer Dilley! The drivers appreciate your excellent work!
- Question- Can you give more info on the recent assault in the Mendenhall Valley (of the woman walking home), such as where it took place?, vehicle description? I often walk my dog in the evenings, especially in the spring/summer. What was the assault? a beating or a sexual assault?
- Question- What does the law state in reference to selling alcohol to someone who is visually intoxicated already? I thought this was a no-no. Twice now, within a short period of time, I have seen this happen.
- Question- I'm confused about why the recent press release regarding an abduction/assault chose to disclose that the victim had just prior had a disagreement with her significant other. It seems to be a private detail with no significance for we public. Can u explain?
- Question- The May 1st dailey bulletin post is missing. Thanks!
- Question- What happened at the brewery?
- Question- I just want to say thanks to sergeant hernandez and his young cohort in assisting me and my business earlier this week. I have had drunken encounters with the both of them, in which i acted like a fool. When they came to my place of business at our request, they acted like they didnt know me. Kudos to you two. Way to keep it professional.
- Question- I wanted to thank Officer Adams for the informative blog on child safety seats. I have an additional question I would like her to address:
What are the implications of placing a child safety seat (specifically an infant seat with detachable base) in an extended cab pick up truck? The rear seats in the extended part of the cab face sideways. I can't really imagine that a child safety seat anywhere in this type of vehicle would be safe. Thoughts?
- Question- Is it legal to burn pallets on non-Forest Service beaches as long as it is in a pit and people are being responsible?
- Question- If 3 items were stolen from a house and we know who the person was that took them, is there something the police can do other than just question that person?
- Question- What are the rules for U-turns in Juneau? Are they permitted unless there is a sign posted that says you can't?
- Question- I noticed on my way to work this morning, that the overhead walkway on Mend Loop by Trinity Drive has been hit & damaged, right in the mid-section. What happened?
- Question- Can you please regularly monitor Gastineau Avenue for abandoned vehicles and people living out of their vehicles. This is becoming a very increasing problem and creating more alcohol and drug activity on a neighborhood street that needs Police monitoring on a regular basis. There are several abandoned cars and trucks and a Ford van, silver and blue, #CYZ395, has been sitting across the entrance from Channel View Apts. for two weeks now, and at least two people are living out of. They are littering around their van and using the curb as their bathroom. Please send JPD up to Gastineau Avenue REGULARLY!!! THANKS!
- Question- Why is there a child molester living ....(location removed)?
Dont kids play (near there).... isnt it a little silly to let a rapist SLEEP in the same area that children are bound to play?
Is this legal?
- Question- What are the rules/laws regarding driving with your headlights turned on?
I was under the impression that if your windshield wipers are in use you are required to have your lights on.
- Question- do you kmow when and where this auction ive heard about will take place?
- Question- Hi there!
I was wondering in alaska is it legal to have two license plates? I have seen people driving with an out of country front license plate, but with the alaska plate in the back. Also, is it legal to just have the back license plate?
- Question- Is it illegal to drive without a bumper cover in Juneau?
- Question- I was wondering if the vehicle/driver involved in the hit & run on Riverside in October was ever located. I saw a truck the other day that very closely fit the description-I also wrote down the licence number.
- Question- What's GRH? JPD and the radio stations both refer to it. Thanks!
- Question- I live out the road; which means i have to drive past the rock quarry by the ferry terminal. Is there any rules or regulations regarding the vehicles that are leaving the work site and the dirt/sand they track onto the highway? I have a relatively new car that I take care of religiously; last work season every time i had to drive through that stretch of road my car would get covered in the fine sand. I have even found a tar-like substance on the underside if my bumpers. I know of other locations where the citizens have brought forward their concerns and the works then had to rinse their vehicles before driving onto highways.
- Question- Hi, the archives section has not been updated to include March 2011 yet. Thanks!
- Question- How long is an RTL/watch out for a vehicle go? I had requested to have JPD keep an eye out for my truck.
- Question- I know there's a sign somewhere, but I can't remember where it is. When do I have to have the studded tires off my car? Thanks!
- Question- What is a report of VCOR?
- Question- Juneau has excellent bike paths all over town, the weather is getting better so I have a few questions.
In areas where there are sidewalks along side bike paths, is it legal for the bicyclists to ride on the sidewalks? (e.g. Old Glacier Hwy, Riverside, Douglas, etc.) As a pedestrian I don't mind sharing the space, but come on bicyclists... practice cycling safety!!! It is very rare that I get alerted from bicyclists that anyone is behind me and often times don't know until someone speeds by. If the pedestrain gets hit, who is at fault in these type of "run in" situations?
- Question- Is it true you can be ticketed $100 for each glass container you bring on a beach?
- Question- Is it legal for cyclists to ride through stop lights in the same lanes with vehicles? I had a cyclist behind me at a stop light today; when the light turned green he tried to cut me off and pass me. He's very lucky I have great peripheral vision!
- Question- If somebody is speeding on Egan, is it legal for a JPD officer to cross the ditch to turn around to pull somebody over?
- Question- I heard that if a female is getting arrested, a male officer is allowed to search her, even if she asks for a female cop? Is this true??
- Question- The weekly warrent list has not been updated...
- Question- This may be something that I need to talk to my landlord about, but is there anything that prohibits large commercial trucks from parking in small driveways? Also the truck that I'm referring to leaves the house and backs into our driveway at all hours of the night... When it's past ten, like when he comes home at 3:00am, can I file a noise complaint?
- Question- The 3/20 daily report is missing. Thanks!
- Question- Is it legal to drive barefoot?
- Question- Is there anywhere an rv can park without being harassed by jpd. Jpd is good at telling you where you cant park, but not where you CAN park. any suggestions?
- Question- Is there any state or city law that states how far away a BBQ grill needs to be from an apartment building while in use? My neighbor's grill is up night next to the apartment building and some smoke and LOTS of the fumes filled my apartment (which is directly above them). I asked them if they could pull it away from the apartment complex but they refused..
- Question- There hasn't been any update on the man who jumped from the vehicle and was airlifted to Anchorage. I know it's obviously an ongoing investigation but is there any information you can provide?
- Question- IS it illegal to drive while wearing flip-flops or sandals?
- Question- I wanted to let you guys know that each and everyone one of you are very appreciated, I can't imagine the stress that all of you go through daily, and having to listen to the ungreatful folks in this community must wear on you, as a 29 year Juneau resident I want to apologize for the ungreatful ones and pray that they see the light soon. In closing, it makes me very pround to live in Juneau knowing that the Juneau Police Department is there for the community, again your very appreciated and you guys will be in my prayers.....KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB..
- Question- The stop sign across from Frounter suites that angles off to the high is way largly ignored or treated as a yeald sign. If you watched that place a lot of tickets could ne written. It is a very dangerous intersection. Will you watch it ?
- Question- Does Juneau have a tsunami evacuation route/ shelters, if so where can you find it?
- Question- In the daily report, when there is a notice of a runaway/missing person, it often does not reflect in the 'Juneau Missing Person' tab...why is that?
- Question- Young people have been calling our house with a "recreation survey." The questions lead us to believe they are casing houses to find out when people are gone so that they might break in. Is this a known scam or part of a school project or what?
- Question- When is the next Juneau Police Auction?
- Question- There is a truck and a van parked at an empty trailer they havent moved for a month there. I really dont think people should park where ever and leave them there
- Question- My boyfriend was tellin me about a friend of the family that got picked up for freaking out at a store and its been 2 weeks since that happend and cops say they dont remember where they took her. that makes me feel a little uncomfortable. and shes still missing
- Question- archived daily for Feb. 2011 is missing.
- Question- My ex-boyfriend is harrassing me online. I've already taken out 2 protective orders against him, but they have since expired. Does this mean I should get another one?
- Question- How long does a car parked downtown have to be there (unmoved) before it is considered "abandoned"?
There are 3 cars on my block that haven't moved in at least 2 months and they are taking up prime parking spots. I've seen the pink notices on cars on the street before that had been there for only a few days.
Also, thank you for the "ask a dispatcher" and the humorous yet informative answers!
- Question- There hasn't been news concerning the young lady whose body was found on Long Run Drive; what was the cause of death? Was she dumped there or did she get there on her own? There's been lots of rumors, but you know how that is in this town.
- Question- I saw someone asked if this town was safe to raise kids.. And you guys answered yes there are things to do like high school activites the pool ice skating.. but What about when you are outta high school? or dont like sports. Ive lost a lot of friends to drugs and I feel like thats all this town is becoming that or girls gettin pregnant. i think something needs to be done
- Question- I believe the people livin by me sell drugs. There are always different cars drivin by or parkin in front of my house and walk to the peoples place by mine. Ive also seen some of the people leavin and know they do or have done drugs. I have a daugther and my neighbers have kids just lookin out. how do I report this?
- Question- Is it illegal to wear headphones while driving?
- Question- I was wondering why some officers don't seem to have to follow traffic laws. At 5:20 a.m., I saw a police car get off Egan Dr by Walmart and go down the off ramp. Not only did the officer not stop at the stop sign, he barely even slowed down before he turned left toward Walmart. Then, the same thing at the Walmart traffic light, barely slowing at the red light. The car was going so fast I could get close enough to see the license plate, but it did turn down the road to the police station. I was disappointed to see this kind of driving out of someone who enforces traffic laws and is supposed to be an example to the rest of us.
- Question- On today's dispatches it showed a 33 year old male arrested for DUI with a breath alcohol content of .071. I thought the legal limit was .08 unless it is a commercial vehicle where is zero tolerance?
- Question- MY SON 17YO WAS ARESSTED FOR DUI WITH A BAC OF .084 IN THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS I HAVE SEEN 2 OTHER MALES ARESSTED FOR "MINOR OPERATING AFTER CONSUMING". MY QUESTION IS, WHAT IT THE DIFERANCE IN THESE 2 CHARGES? AT FIRST I THOUGHT MAYBE IF THEIR BAC WAS BELOW .080 THAT IT WOULD BE THE LATER CHARGE HOWEVER THIS CAN'T BE IT BECAUSE I KNOW ONE OF THE BOYS BAC WAS .160?
- Question- My car just died,when is the next impound auction?????
- Question- The last question you answered "was a n***** b**** pick up last night?"...holy crap?! Why would you post that question on here? It's obviously an offensive statement for the letters to be replaced. Don't you pick and choose what questions go up here? Why would you choose something so offensive?
- Question- has a n**** b**** been picked up tonight
- Question- Companies are offering kits to make your side by side ATV street legal. What equipment do I need in Alaska to make my ATV street legal? I'd assume, turn signals, brake lights, horn, mirrors? What am I missing?
- Question- Under House Bill 88, it basically states that you cannot have any distractions in your vehicle such has tv's, computer monitors, etc. I can understand that. However there have been many numerous cases where I have personally scene JPD officers driving down Egan and other roads, paying more attention to their on board computers, or typing away on them as they are driving. To me this is somewhat hypocritical. I think its great that JPD has the ability to give officers more information about a case through their computers and any other information they might need, but Police Officers are supposed to be the front and foremost examples for citizens.
- Question- If an item I purchased turns out to be stolen, I understand I could be charged with the crime of "receiving stolen property." Besides actually bringing the item to JPD for a check of serial numbers, how do I do my own "due diligence" to be assured that the item is not stolen? If the seller writes a "bill of sale" does this protect me?
- Question- I recently got a few parking tickets for accidentally leaving my car parked overnight in a 1-hour zone. I put the tickets in my glove department and forgot about them. A couple weeks ago I found them and paid the tickets. However, I noticed on the back it said that a warrant could be issued for my arrest and I could be assessed and additional $75 fee.
Does this mean I could go to jail for a parking ticket? Isn't this a sort of debtors' prison? I read an article about debtors prisons ("Debtors' prison— again" http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/article991963.ece, St. Petersburg Times). It says at the end that "In the United States, it is unconstitutional to incarcerate someone solely for failing to pay a debt. Florida officials get around this by claiming the defendants are going to jail not for their debts but for violating a court order."
What is the story behind the Alaskan debtors' imprisonment?
- Question- I don't feel your answer to the question about drug busts and press releases was helpful or adequate. The person wasn't asking why you use press releases, they wanted to why you DIDN'T use certain busts in a press release.
- Question- I would like to congratulate JPD on the opening of the new substation downtown. :)
- Question- How come all the bigger drug bust arent advertised, I have noticed lately, by reading the daily bulletin that there have been other busts, but they arent advertised, have seperate articles written on them, or on the radio. Also, how come some are advertised everywhere, articles written in/on the front page of the paper, on the news for multiple days, etc. Then they are fallowed up upon and we hear the outcome, then you have others that are the same serious offense, with the same possible punishment and they are just listed in the daily bulletin and not heard of? It would be nice that we should be more informed on who, what, when, where, why, and how, equally...
- Question- I'm curious to what happened with the search for Jeffery "Scott" Walkenford, I never saw an update saying he was located. Anything new?
- Question- This is just a thank you, to all that every single one of you do.
I knew the girl on Long Run, and it breaks my heart everyday thinking about it. I think you guys do an amazing job. THANK YOU.
- Question- I am impressed with the two herion case arrests and the arrests made in the oxy bust today, I can only hope you folks are working just as hard to find the truth behind that poor girl on Long Run. It's time for police to step in full board and get control of the problems this town has.
- Question- I was texted that a 14 yo girl was found dead by a middle school, and for women to be careful and stay in groups. Is there any truth to this death report?
- Question- why should telecommunicator not give legal advice
- Question- Can you tell me what information a pawn shop is required by law to collect from someone selling them items? A friend told me they were required by a local pawn shop to give them a photocopy of their drivers license AND their social security number based on "some city and state laws". Requiring a social security number sounds overly intrusive and could be used to steal a persons identity.
- Question- Is it legal for the crossing guards to hit the crosswalk signs when there are no children around? The guy at riverbend school does it when there aren't any children around. When traffic starts building up on any side of the four way intersection he will hit the button to make the lights change. There are no children crossing the street, or any children around that want to cross the street. He does it to control traffic. Can he really do that?
- Question- I've done a little searching online but can't find a solid answer.
Is distilling of alcohol legal in Alaska? I do know brewing is legal in most Alaskan Cities.
- Question- Is it true that a fire ball crashed into the ridge behind Gold Creek on the morning of the 14th?
- Question- HI!
I was wondering JPD's stance on radar detectors?
Are they legal to use or not?
- Question- If JPD would like to write several tickets and possibly save someone from being hit by a car, they should park on Ninnis and watch the people treat the STOP sign as a YIELD sign at Ninnis/Wolfram and Black Wolf. One day a car is going to hit someone. One morning I counted 20 cars in an hour that ran the Stop sign.
- Question- What are the rules about the number of dogs that can be owned by a household in the downtown area, and also how they must be controlled?
- Question- Hello,
I am in the market for a device for personal protection, and I was wondering what the laws are regarding switchblades. If they are illegal to carry, and possess, or are they allowed if you store one in a car. If they are, my next question is why guns are legal, and switchblades are not. Also, what does JPD recommend for somebody looking for a personal protection device?
- Question- Were there really no DUIs on New Years?! If so, great job to everyone who advertised the Free/Safe Rides!
- Question- I'm writing this in response to the people complaining about the kids and young adults in the mall parking lot.
I'm in my late 20s now and back when I was that age we did the same thing. We would drive around, goof off and park in the mall and hang out. We never did drugs, drank or even smoked! We just talked and hung out. Now adays I do notice kids playing their music loud in the middle of the parking lot but who are they bothering with that? Would you rather them doing it in a neighborhood?
Stop being so nosy, I'm sure there have been multiple officers that have observed them and even dropped by to say hi. It's not like the kids and young adults are hiding... they are in plain sight!
- Question- Did animal control or JPD catch the poor little aussie looking puppy that was wandering around downtown last night (1/3)? It was so scared, no tags, just wandering across busy streets...I was genuinely concerned, but couldn't take it with me.
- Question- Hi Folks,
We lost a blackberry (Nephew) and glasses (wife) outside the wharf last Saturday. Where would I ask to see if we can recover them?
We think the blackberry was lost around the rocks out front at the beginning of the wharf parking area. We think the glasses were
lost across the intersection, on the sidewalk, in front of the SeaAlaska plaza(called them).
- Question- Has a small yellow lab been found last night or this morning?
- Question- Do you need a drivers licensee to attend the winter safety drive course on 01/05/10? thank you
- Question- Howdy! I tried looking up the answer to my question on the Alaska Statutes website, however I feel unless you frequently deal with them, its near impossible to find what your looking for. My question is, is it legal to have an air horn (run by an air compressor) on your vehicle? I imagine there is a decibel level you have to be under? What about a fire engine horn? Any emergency services codes that would be violated? Thank you for your time!
- Question- Is there duck hunting in the Twin Lakes/DIPAC area since November? It's now almost Christmas and sometimes my family and I can hear shotgun blasts in that area in the mornings and I didn't know if there was still duck hunting or not.
- Question- Somewhere I heard that there is a safe winter driving class on January 5, put on by the Police Department. Is this correct? Where is it? What time? Is it only one session? How much does it cost?
Thank you, and happy holidays!
- Question- When will Juneau residents be able to pay parking tickets online with a credit card? It seems like in this internet age this process would already be in place.
- Question- Is it a ticketed offence to have gravel spilling from a vehicle constantly, not properly displaying license plates or operating a vehicle in visable disrepair i.e. lights, windows ect. If so, Is it possible for patrol officers watch for those piece of *** plow trucks with the sanders on the back that are in visable disrepair. On 3 occasions this winter my vehicle and my work vehicle has been pounded by spilling gravel from one of these trucks on Egan and Glacier Hwy. Both windows need to be repalced. I would have gotten the licence plate number but they are obstructed by the sanders and plows. Sanders have catch chutes and augers that are supposed to stop the flow of gravel but if not maintained properly or gravel is left on the bumper or too close to the edge of the bed it spills out durring travel. I know not to follow these trucks too close however the size of gravel being used by private sanders will bounce several hundred feet behind and when they change lanes infront of you its unavoidable (state sanders regulate the size of sand they use to keep this from happening). Alot of these private trucks are older and some dont even have licence plates or current registration displayed. We do need the services they provide, however they should follow all the same traffic laws as the rest of us. I an certain the auto glass repair businesses in town dont mind but I do. Could this be forwarded to the state troopers and DOT enforcment officers for commerncial vehicles as well?
Thank you for your public service and any feedback on this,Have a great holiday, and be safe.
- Question- is Juneau a safe community to raise a family? Dont teenagers get bored and resort to partying and illegal activity?
- Question- Hi there
Where is the daily report from 12/12-12/13? Thanks!
- Question- As a follow up to the question regarding brake lights-I have seen some drivers with automatic transmissions drive with their right foot on the gas and their left foot on the brake and they use both at the same time. It's incredibly distracting as a driver to see the tap, tap, tap of the brakes all the way from town to valley when they're not slowing down.
- Question- I was following a pick up truck this morning that appeared to be stepping on his brakes since the light in the middle of the back upper part of the bed cover was lit. As I got closer, I realized it was just a red light that continually stayed on. Is that legal? That light did not get brighter when he stepped on the brakes like his brake lights did. I was trying to drive defensively on Egan and didn't realize he had an "always-on" red light until I was behind him at the stop sign when we got off Egan. For safety reasons, I think that light in the middle of the back of the vehicle should NOT be on unless the driver is stepping on the brakes. Thank you!
- Question- Who do I call when I see a residence in violation of the "burn ban"? The other day, the no-burn sign was posted on Riverside Drive (by JRC) and just a few houses away, there was a home with a HUGE plume of smoke puffing out of their chimney. Very annoying!
- Question- I heard that there were ambulance's, fire trucks, and police cars in Cedar Park the other day, and that someone had died, yet I can't find anything in the paper about it. Do you know what happened? With a small town like Juneau, when you hear that someone died, it's likely you know the person, so I was curious if anyone had actually passed away? Thank you for your time!
- Question- This isn't a question as it is more of a compliment...
Thank you for everything you do to help keep Juneau a safe place. From what it looks like in the picture, you guys have a lot of multi-tasking going on and yet somehow you guys still are great at what you do! So, thank you! My family appreciates you always being there.... and thank you to the rest of the JPD staff too!! Merry (Extremely Early) Christmas!
- Question- Where is burn-ban information found online? I would like to know whether it is still in effect or not and where to find out in the future if it is.
- Question- Is there a law against having your car running while you're not in it?
- Question- When will there be an update about baby rian Orr? When will her parents names be released? Also, I heard there was a fire by the airport. Could you confirm that if it's true please? Hope Everyone is okay.
- Question- Here I am, once again responding to the comments about the "Mendy kids" I would absolutely love it for the other lady/guy who has problems to come sit there with us and see what we are all about! She has no right to judge what we do, she has no idea what we do here for activities. Most of the teenagers she sees smoking are of legal age. And we don't cause problems. We have not been littering, Goldbelt security has talked to us months ago about this and we have cleaned up. So most of the trash you see, can not all be blamed on us. Thanks!!!
- Question- I bought a police scanner app. for my phone and it always says the Juneau station is off. It used to be turned on and I used to frequently listen to it. Is turing it back on something that you guys control? Or is there something wrong with the app?
- Question- So in regards to the last post about the app that shows insurance information. What about an app on my phone that stores all my cards e.g license, insurance registration, etc. I have registration and insurance in car but would a full view of my license with picture and everything be the same as the license. I always remember my phone but not always my license
- Question- Since today was such a nice day I wanted to take advantage of it and burn some wood scraps I had laying around. An officer came by and told me I had to put my fire out. I am wondering why since there was not an air emergency in effect?
- Question- I have an app on my iPhone for my vehicle insurance (State Farm) that displays my current insurance card. Is that sufficient for proof of insurance if I’m ever pulled over by JPD?
- Question- I was reading through several of your question/answers for Ask a Dispatcher and I was rather dissatisfied.
My first concern is "the Mendy," or the Mendenhall Mall parking lot. As a teenager, I know a few of the kids that hang out there from school and growing up in Juneau, I have seen some of these kids smoking and even if I don't know what exactly it was that they were smoking it still isn't legal for a 17 year old to be smoking anything wether it be cigarettes or marijuana. Period.
I would like to secondly comment on your response to speeders on Threadneedle Street. I agree that there needs to be more patrols in this area, not only during rush hours and after school but at night and really any time of the day. You suggested in your post, that if we "concerned parents" (or concerned anyone) do speed limit laps to help enforce the speed limit on our own, others would follow by example. I'd like to let you know that this is an old idea and is completely ineffective. I've tired it everyday on my way home from work and school and the speeders behind you either tailgate you until you or they reach their destination or they run the stop sign after you've stopped and proceeded. Speeding and running the stop sign at the Trafalgar/Threadneedle intersection is a HUGE problem! 4 out of 5 cars do not stop completely or even slow down.
I hope that JPD opens their eyes and realizes you are making the problems seem smaller than they are. A lot of people I know in my neighborhood agree that speeding and ignoring the stop signs are a huge problem. Also, a lot of my peers and elders agree with me that the Mendenhall Mall parking lot is not being treated the way it should. This community needs you JPD, please don't leave us helpless and frustrated like this. You need to be enforcing the law and from my day to day life it does not appear that you do this.
- Question- The 11/12 bulletin seems to be missing. Will this be posted? Thanks!
- Question- I'm replying again to the Mendenhall hang out. Thank you sooo much for stating that, it's nice to know somebody has our back on this! It's Juneau, and for us teenagers 17-20 really have nothing better to do with our time unless we have jobs after those times. I hope some time in the near future we will be allowed to have some where to go with our cars and can just hang out and not be nagged and accused of things we aren't doing. But I do appreciate the statement you made!
- Question- I've always wondered why there wasn't an easier number to call and agree with the previous writer. At this point, a new number probably would be just as hard until lit became familiar.
- Question- speed trap needed on Threadneedle street. Worst times are between 6am-7:30am and again in the early afternoon/evening. Children are on the street going to school and too many cars are using this street as if it was a highway.
- Question- Why don't you guys get an easier to remember phone number for non-emergencies? Like, 586-0586 or 586-5860, or even 586-0000? The 586-0600 is OK, but sometimes many people just forget it and either do not call you with reports or dial 911 with a non-emergency. I recommend you at least add another, easier to remember number for non-emergencies - and see what happens! I am sure phone companies or current number owners will be happy to help and give you the number if it's already taken.
- Question- My wife found a digital music player in the Twin Lakes area, yesterday. Does JPD have a lost and found reporting system? The player is a distinct color and has a unique sticker.
- Question- When does it become illegal to have extremely loud base emanating from a vehicle? Today around 1:00PM there was a blue Ford mini van driving with an extremely loud base sound vibrating me inside my vehicle 3 car lengths ahead. This is VERY irritating.
- Question- How often do patrol officers look at vehicle license plate expiration tags? I have recently counted no fewer than 10 (ten) expired plate on the road, being actively driven.
- Question- I would like to make a response to the comments about the cars in the mendenhall parking lot "passing drugs". I, as well as the others who sit there, are not passing drugs nor are we passing money for drugs. I question what people would rather have us teenagers doing, partying or hanging out keeping eachother out of trouble? Most of the time, if we are parked next to eachother and "passing" something in between, it's usually a cd or a cigarette. Thank you very much for your time.
- Question- Is it too late to report a threat of domestic violence which occured to me on 10/28/10? I have no bruises and nothing was broken of mine, but my boyfriend threatened me 3 times with physical violence and held me captive in my own home and took my phone from me so I could not call the police.
- Question- If someone has sex with another person, after that somebody else gets them high out of their mind on crystal meth, and it was might have been a mutual thing at the time, but after the other person sobers up realizes that she was so completely gone out of her mind...would this be considered rape?
- Question- I cant find a simple answer for who is responsible for A dog that attacks another dog, A friends dog escaped from my yard and into the neighbors yard and attacked their dog. yet the neighbors are threating me with small claims court, because the owner of the dog won't pay. Not sure how im really involved other then the dog being in my yard before the attack. Can you help me out? I just want the neighnors to stop contacting me if im not apart of this.
- Question- Along with that last question regarding the idiots holding political signs at the McNugget intersection, when I passed through there last night at about 5 pm, more than one sign holder was standing on the shoulder of the highway near the light pole and leaning towards the oncoming traffic. Should I have called in so JPD could get the stupid person off the road?
- Question- So this morning, November 2, the political sign enthusiasts were even more annoying than usual-they were crowded into the middle area between the inbound and outbound lanes (on the McDonald's side of the intersection, rather than the Canton House side of the intersection) of Egan at McNugget intersection. There is no area for pedestrians in that spot and I found it incredibly distracting as a driver and incredibly stupid on the signholders' behalf. What are the rules associated with the political signholders and public roadways?
- Question- for oct 30 to oct 31 reports are missing are not up yet
- Question- some one said that the best western was held up last night is it true
and did you catch them
- Question- Alright, me & a friend signed a lease and was pro-rated a trailer out in N. Douglas, and when we originally looked at it, it was nice inside, but it had all of the landlord's furniture in it. We met with her at her other house downtown and signed a 6 month lease and gave her $500 for a "Cleaning deposit (Non refundable)" and roughly $677 prorate. We get to the place a day later and it's completely filthy. Nothing was cleaned, there was mold on the walls and cigarette butts left everywhere. It was clearly not touched other than to move her things out. So we call her and tell her it's not livable and we would like our money back. We even said to just give us $1000, out of the $1177 for her time wasted. She offered to give us the deposit back, but I'd rather have it all. She gave us $250 about two weeks ago and said "I'll bring you the other $250 the first of Nov." So we let it go from there.. I called her today and she very rudely answered and said "We decided you can just take us to court. Good luck! Bye!" and hung up on me.. Basically I'm wondering if I have anything to back up a suit on this? I have photos of the disgusting place, and really it's not livable and she has children that live in the mold infested trailer 6 months of the year and it's really not healthy. Should I take this higher?
- Question- Are there any other job openings at JPD?
- Question- Was anybody charged with the death of Rian Orr? I read the report from 8/15, but there was no further update. I'm just curious what happend with the case? That poor baby.
- Question- I just wanted to say Thank you to all of those in JPD that responded to ------ and tried to save him. Thank you for trying.
- Question- If the next if kin has been notified for the suicidal subject, when will the public
Know? I am worried it is someone I know.
- Question- Somebody asked the other day how many points you have to have before you lose your driver's license. I didn't know and thought I'd ask you. Do you know?
Then, if you lose your license, what does it take to get it back?
What happens if you drive when you don't have a license?
- Question- What's with a large gang of drunk people always hanging out on public parking lot behind State Museum and harassing people all day? Only a matter of time before some serious trouble happens there. They litter badly too.
- Question- If an ambulance or police car has their lights flashing,but is in no hurry and isnt using the siren,do you still have to get out of their way????
- Question- There is a person who had my debit card written on a peice of paper and used it to get a hotel when he was released from jail this morning down there the hotel ran it without verification what can i do
- Question- I frequently go on walks with my kids and dog around the Riverside Dr. to Back Loop Rd area. A couple of times I have noticed kids (teenagers) hanging around in the bushes near the Mendenhall Elementary School playground. At first I didn't see it to be a big deal, but the other day, I stumbled upon two kids participating in sexual activities. They didn't even care that I was walking by with my child. I know these are teenagers and that's what they do, but to be doing something like that in a place where young children play is unacceptable. Is there any way JPD could patrol those types of areas? God forbid those kids do anything to the children that play around there.
- Question- Your latest blog entry has a complete "women are the victim" slant on domestic violence. Thanks for keeping the stereotype alive!!!
- Question- There are still fishermen snagging off the DIPAC dock area, in the no snagging zone, October 8, 2010, 3:30pm.
- Question- I would like to know why Officer Ervin is still employeed with the City,, you can't tell me that JPD or the city isn't showing favoritizm, I would like to know why he wasn't arrested and put in Lemon Creek, or why he's not being treated the same as anyone else for the same crime, I have lost all faith in the Juneau Police Department, this seemes to be another case of good ole boy treatment,, anyone else would be awaiting trail behind bars, but not Officer Ervin, lets keep him employed and give him a curfew, UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!
- Question- How often does JPD do public auctions of impounded vehicles or forfeitures?
- Question- Hey, I'm not sure if you at dispatch know or not, but when you go to JuneauPolice.com it comes up as an error and wont let you access the site. You can go to Juneau.org > Departments > Juneau Police and get to it however.
- Question- I have seen people wearing shirts that seem to be a memorial to the two police officers that were killed recently in Hoonah. There is a big picture of a bear on the back. Where can I get one?
- Question- I recently lost my keys. Where do I go to see if anyone turned them in?
- Question- I live out the road, and a lot of my neighbors put their garbage out the night before it is to be picked up. Can I call JPD to come patrol our neighborhood to cite these people? (Do those Community Service officers work at night?) We've had a bear getting into that garbage lately.
- Question- What is the process in dealing with bears who constantly dig in the garbage? Do you deal with that or would Fish & Game? What about issuing a ticket for keeping garbage out all the time? My neighbors leave their trash out all the time because they think it's fun to take pictures of the bear, not to mention they are constantly intoxicated when my fiance and I approach them about it (but that's a different issue). Before the bear was scared and the slighest noise would scare it off, but now you can yell and holler and the bear will act like you're not even there and it's getting a litle too comfortable for my taste.
- Question- If your a minor(under 21 but older then 18) and your partner is over 21. Can they have Alcohol in the house and throw a party even? Im not sure because of Minor in possetion of alcohol law. Is it in the minors possestion just for living there? Can the minor or the over 21 year old get in any trouble? Even if the minor is sober?
- Question- My boyfriends mom has his extra truck key. She refuses to give it back, she won't let us on her property to get it or let anyone take it to give it to him. She does not own or have her name on anything for the truck, How should we go about getting it back? Is there anyway law inforcment could help us?
- Question- I'm wondering why if prescription pain pill sales/use is such a big issue, the crime line program is so poorly manned and unresponsive? I know of multiple people that had submitted information on the crime line, through the web tips program and through the police department and the same old folks keep up the same behaviors?
- Question- Is it legal/acceptable for a JPD vehicle (driven by an officer) to use accessive speed on Egan without the use of emergency lights?
- Question- Why is it when my roommate stole my car they said they couldnt take my stolen report!? Like that is saying oh cause they live with you it is ok they take your stuff.
- Question- Hello there. I have a ex girlfriend's father just email me with a threatening message, telling me that he was going to physically harm me upon his visit in juneau. What are the next steps that I should take?
- Question- I am doing my sit along tomorrow and have prepared a list of questions to ask.....is there anything I should ask that you feel is important? I want to be as detailed as possible so I can gather as much info as possible. Thanks!
- Question- What can I do if my spouse took my car from me? Both of our names are on the registration can I just go and pick it up? What if he refuses to give me the keys?
- Question- Can anonymous calls be reported about somone who drives home drunk from bars several times a week? I'm concerned about the public's safety. And do bartenders bear any responsibility if they know this happens?
- Question- Follow up on the motorbike question, my previous question was meant to focus on motorbikes that do not require licensing, insurance and registration. What are the limitations for these motorized vehicles? It has been my understanding that there is a maximum engine size and restrictions on where you ride them and what time of day. I want to buy one that falls under this rule if there is such a rule. But if there isnt such a rule then what is JPD's policy on the small motor vehicles we all see in the residential parts of town.
Thank you again for any information on this.
- Question- Whatever happened to enforcing the ordinance signed in 2005 for persons under 18 years of age not wearing bike helmets? I see an awful lot of kids (mostly middle school aged) not wearing helmets. Now I am having a really hard time enforcing it with my middle schooler. Is there any way to get this enforced?
What is the best approach to get middle & high schoolers to wear their helmets? They won't listen to their parents!
- Question- I am considering buying a small motorbike AKA scooter, moped 50 CC or less. I would like to ride it around in the valley while visiting friends and doing small errands. What are the limitations of use for 50 CC motorbikes in Juneau? Licensing? Registration/insurance? Time of day or night? Lights/no lights? Bike lane? Sidewalk? Trails? And if there’s anything I might not have considered that would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much.
- Question- This beautiful weather can't last forever, and I'm afraid when it's gone, we're going to get slammed by winter! When can I legally start driving around with my studded tires?
- Question- This may be a question for the fire department, but here goes. CBJ code states a burn permit is needed for open burning on one's property. From the CBJ website, "Open burning means the burning of a material which results in the products of combustion being emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or flue, but not including the burning of campfires, barbecues, candles or tobacco." My question is, what is the definition of a "campfire"? If I am relaxing in my backyard with a small fire and roasting marshmellows, hotdogs, etc, is this considered a campfire or do I need a burn permit?
- Question- I hike a lot and I have bear concerns, I want to buy a shotgun but am not sure if I can because I was convicted of a felony in ohio in 1994. Can I buy any type of gun?
- Question- I was wondering why the Police Officer being accused of a sex crime is not behind bars, I know people accused of the same crime who a currently awaiting trial behind bars,, I could be wrong and I hope I am, but it sounds to me like the department is showing favoritism because a police officer is involved,when I should be that the book be thrown at him because if anyone knows better it's a police officer that is trusted by the community
- Question- Why has the warrent list not been updated on the JPD website since July?
- Question- There is a truck that parks illegally (right next to a no parking sign) on Gastineau Avenue at Carroll Way. Early 90's green Ford pick-up, plate # 3235DR. I have seen the driver enter State Apartments #11. His truck takes up half the road and is leaking oil that flows right to the drain ditch. He's usually parked there after 5:00pm through the evening until next morning. Can you please send an officer up there since the truck is parked there after work hours? Thanks!
- Question- I would like to know if Juneau Police is going to release anymore information about Rian Orr? The infant who was according to the press release abused to death. Such a sad situation and I think Juneau Residents would like to know if the people responsible are being held responsible?
- Question- How do I go about applying for the records dept.?
- Question- A heartfelt thank you to the men and women in JPD uniforms and to dispatchers and traffic control. You all work together to make Juneau safe. I'm compelled to write after the emotional memorial services in Hoonah and yesterday while driving, when I saw our officers out and about doing their jobs, I was appreciative of the men and women who have chosen to put on those uniforms every day and night. My culture taught me that you should always uplift in public so this is a good forum to say Gunalcheésh aatlein (thank you very much). A quote I read recently, "Learn to write your hurts in the sand and to carve your benefits in stone." This is my stone.
- Question- Ive noticed alot of people hanging out at mendenhall mall on some nights there would be a group of them hanging out with their lights on their vehicles at least four of them with their lights on i was half tempted to call the police and let them know about it to have them turn off their lights while parked they were all facing to the street we drive on, I've also noticed them speeding across the parking lot and garbage the next day do they have anyone to monitor them there or are they supposed to be there and hang out in the parking lot
- Question- My mailbox was damaged by a baseball bat at approximately 12:30am, August 12, 2010. I did not replace the box, but straightened it the best that I could. I did not file a police report because I thought that it would be very difficult to catch the suspects, but was pleasantly surprised to hear that JPD did apprehend two kids. I have several neighbors that can testify of the recently damaged mailbox. Is it too late to file a report?
- Question- Everytime i go to walmart people are parking in,and over the handicaped spaces.does any one (police) enforce those spaces or is it walmarts problem?????
- Question- I realize that you do not have any thing to do with the "half way" house but was wondering if you give me any info on what the rules are if someone is suppose to be staying there. I thought that they were only allowed to go to and from work if the have a job or to court appearances. Are they really allowed to go out the road or other places for get togethers such as BBQ, birthday parties etc. Is there someone to contact for information on the rules?
- Question- how often is the warrant list updated?
- Question- First off, I greatly appreciate the article in today's Juneau Empire "Juneau Police: Beware the bus zone". Thank you for that reminder of caution.
Every day, my child, a first grader, is walked to school by his father, before the school crossing guard is out at the crosswalk, but after the school zone lights have come on. About 7:30 am.
It seems it would be common courtesy, at minimum common sense, when a driver sees a child at a crosswalk, with or without a parent, and those school zone lights are on - the driver should be courteous enough to stop and let him or her cross. My child also was walked to school by his father all last year as well for Kindergarten. Too many times I've seen my son and his father have to wait too long, (at times as long as five minutes!) just to cross to Riverbend School. It seems absurd and is frustrating to watch when many cars simply drive by without being kind enough to stop and let people cross at the crosswalk. Unfortunately, there have been times where there are not any drivers that stop and my child and his father have no option but to wait until there is a break in traffic and it is safe for them both to cross.
Is it legal for drivers to not stop for a child waiting to cross at a crosswalk? When the school zone lights are flashing?
- Question- Hi. I read in the Juneau Empire that someone's car was impounded for driving without a license. My question is this; is that without a VALID license, EXPIRED license, or ZERO license. I ask because I just realized mine expired on my birthday (last week). And yes, I am going to get a new one but know my luck I'll get pulled over on my way out there.
- Question- My son is driving on a provisional license. Technically the 6 months was up last week but due to sports and school we haven't had the opportunity to take him to DMV to get the regular license. Today we caught him driving with his girlfriend. He says his buddies told him that since the time was up it didn't matter, we believe he was violating the law because he is still officially on a provisional. Who is right?
- Question- After what happened in Hoonah I really became aware at how much you guys truely put yourselfs in the face of danger to protect us. Thank you JPD for everything you do! You may not hear it as much as you should but Juneau really appreciates what you do for our city!
- Question- Is a minor under the age of 18 legally allowed to live on their own if they choose to? Is a parent legally responsible for their child until they turn 18?
- Question- What happened in Hoonah, something about one of the officers not making it?
- Question- What was going on with the city bus and ambulance on S. Franklin Street this morning (8/27) around 7:30? I was late to work because of the officer blocking the road...just curious...didn't see anything on the bulletin
- Question- Regarding the cross walk at Floyd Dryden: After the pedestrians/bicyclists have safely crossed the intersection, can we continue driving? I thought I read in the paper that you can go once the steady red lights start flashing, but almost all the drivers wait until the lights are completely off.
- Question- Can you report someone who is driving with a revoked license annonymously or do you have to provide your name
- Question- Why was the press release section on your website removed?
- Question- How soon after a rape do you have to get a rape kit done if you want to keep your options for pressing charges open?
- Question- I notice what looks like cameras at some of the intersections mounted up near the stop lights recently. What are they? What's the story?
- Question- Can you please help settle a dispute between my husband and I?
What are those camera-on-a-pole thingies that have been installed over traffic lights in the valley area? Hubby says cameras...I say something having to do with traffic light sensors. Who is the lucky winner?
- Question- I don't know if anyone noticed there are alot of poeple speeding on the highway is there anything going to be done about it school is comming up and noticed that riverside drive has alot of people at night speeding
- Question- I've noticed recently that the Juneau Empire no longer gives the name of someone who is arrested for DUI/DWI. Does JPD no longer provide this detail to them or are they just choosing not to publish this information?
- Question- How long do the police store evidence before it's retuned back to the owner? A few years ago my roommate got in trouble with the law and the police came in our apartment at took my laptop as well as my other roommate's Xbox. The case is closed and the third roommate who got in trouble is now in jail. Is there any way that I can come get my laptop from the police department? There are a lot of important items like picture ect, that were only saved on that laptop. I didn't have anything to do with the case so I don't see why my stuff hasn't been return to me... I hope it didn't get thrown out after the case was closed...
- Question- Who do i call to complain about a menace to juneau roadways.Theirs some converted van running around thats got it back lights obscured by something hanging off the back bumper.I almost hit it.
- Question- I went to look online at the dispatch testing dates and the form on Juneau.org said Feb. 2nd, 2010. Obviously that date has passed so my question is when is the next testing for dispatching?
- Question- In the evening after like 10pm or later in the Mendenhall Mall parking lot there are about 5 or more cars that are usually sitting there with lights on and then cars pull up exchange items and then one car drives off. To me this looks like regular drug activity and I have called you guys multiple times but nothing is done.
- Question- There always seems to be a few days a month where the daily blotter doesn't get posted. Is there a Sgt. who just doesnt do it, or maybe a acting shift supervisor who doesn't want to do/approve it? Seems random, but frequent enough to have a cause. Does a daily post get neglected if there is a DUI arrest that doesnt want to go public before conviction?
- Question- Since the Juneau warrent list hasent been updated for 3 weeks on the JPD website, does that mean there are no active warrents right now?
- Question- Good morning, so recently I have been trying to help my friend in getting his license so he can drive, currently he does have a valid permit but does not have a copy of the permit (lost) so we went into DMV to get a copy, though instead of receiving a copy we got told that a new law had been passed making it so you could only renew it once, after that you have to take the road test, however they wouldn't go into details with us. This sounded very fishy to me however as I thought if you didn't have a license you still have to have your permit and have it with you at all times when you drive even when taking a road test from the DMV, am I wrong?
- Question- Would getting a protective order on my neighbors who live in the duplex next to me do any good? My neighbor likes to throw parties, and the most recent one got out of hand. Their guests tried to break into my home and used full force to try and break down my door, they made horrible threats and scared my children severely. Unfortunately, JPD did nothing.
- Question- Is it illegal for a felon with remaining probationary time, and a former felon, who has done their time, and paid their debt to society, to hang out or even date?
- Question- What is the best way to handle a neighbor that keeps their dog outside all hours of the day/night despite it's CONSTANT barking? We have filed a complaint with animal control but it has continued...
- Question- What are the steps we need to take to insure that these children's welfare are looked into?
Recently I called Child protective services on the kids in our neighborhood. They then informed me that they could not do anything since we did not have a name of the parents. I then called you guys, and let you know that there were kids running wild here in the park, all young kids with no parents. Running in and out of traffic, climbing in and out of parked vehicles, six year olds watching three year olds....basically every REAL parents nightmares! We did not see any officer respond...and then about two or three hours later, a child was hit by a car. and of course the mother here was too busy with her own life to take her kid into the ER. This woman should seriously not be raising children.
- Question- Would it be possible for JPD to be more specific on WHERE this woman was assaulted? I don't need to know the exact location but it would be helpful to know if it were, for example, between Superbear and Cinema Drive, or between Cinema Drive and Stephen Richards, or between Stephen Richards and Mendenhaven, or... The bike path along the Mendenhall Loop Road is at least five miles long and people in Juneau are entitled to know where the dangers lurk.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions.
- Question- If my 9 year old was going to be home alone after school until I get home from work (2:45 pm to 5 pm), can I get in trouble for that? Is there a legal age when children are allowed to be at home alone?
- Question- Could I file a noise complaint over my neighbors constantly stomping throughout their apartment? I've asked them to not stomp around but nothing has changed. When the they stomp I can feel it on the floor, the walls ect. of my apartment and I'm above them! The stomping happenes at all hours of the day! If I've talked to them already and there hasn't been any change what else can I leagally do?
- Question- If I have a concern about a child's well-being, for example lots of traffic in and out of the house, parties going on while the child is home or the child playing outside very early or very late at night, who would I contact?
- Question- What is the appropriate course of action for someone hitting your car with their car door in a parking lot? I just had someone slam their door into my new car as I was sitting in a parking lot and then drove off leaving a nice ding in the side. Kind of frustrating watching the first new car I have ever purchased get beat up! Do I need to call JPD to insure there is a report of it in order to have their insurance cover damages?
- Question- I went to look online at the dispatch testing dates and the form on Juneau.org said Feb. 2nd, 2010. Obviously that date has passed so my question is when is the next testing for dispatching?
- Question- Yesterday there were multiple cars outside of my house one Wood Duck filled with multiple police officers. They were there for about an hour until my neighbor got home and they went into action. Can you tell me what went on? I have small children in my home and I am just wondering if I need to worry about their safety.
- Question- Can you set up some sort of speed trap on Radcliffe Rd? It seems people think it's a 40 mph road but it's really a residential road.
- Question- What can I do about a dog that has been barking for nearly an hour straight? I have already confronted the owner of the dog once, and nothing has changed. Is there anything else that I can do?
- Question- Could you please do something about the two 4-plexes on Delta Dr. that seem to ALWAYS have the police called to their location? (4031 & 4033) It’s mostly the noise, but as I’m sure you are WELL aware, there are many other issues! Could you start citing the owners/landlords of these properties for the repeated calls/disturbances? We live in close proximity to these complexes and they are a constant nuisance! I’m hoping that by fining the tenants AND the owners/landlords it will prompt them to evict the bad apples!
- Question- Are there any specific laws/ordinances in dealing with having large concerts or shows?
- Question- On sunday morning around 3am I was awakin by a storm of 6 JPD officers sworming into ACS parking lot in lemoncreek, within view of my apartment, there has been no report of anything happening in the daily bulletin. Then on Sunday during the afternoon and night I noticed a single cop pull in and circle through the acs parking lot then 20 minutes later it came back and sat back in the corner of the lot for 20 minutes, also there wasn't anything in the bulletin. I am curious for my safety what was going and how come there wasn't anything in the bulletin?
- Question- I posted a extra patrol request in the mornings and evenings... I just wanted to say that I have seen the extra patrol and it is very much appreciated!
Also, I enjoy the humor that you put into your answers!! You guys deal with so much and you deserve to have some fun in your job :)
- Question- In a recent post you said it is legal to ride 4 wheelers by the university. Could you tell me were this is so I dont ride in the wrong place thanks.
- Question- Are carseats required for toddlers in commercial vehicles (i.e. taxis and buses)?
- Question- If I am carrying a concealed firearm and a police officer wants to speak to me for whatever reason, am I required by law to inform them that I am packing and do I have to surrender my firearm so that they can "secure" it? Seems to me that if the exchange happens on a crowded street, that might be a little awkward and I imagine a few police officers that would probably feel more than a little uncomfortable about that if it is the case. Also, how does that work under the whole "shall not be infringed" thingy?
- Question- Has Rorie Miller been taken into custody yet? If not, is a press release going to be issued advising the community?
- Question- Just a comment….. I really enjoy the responses and the humor that is added to them. Keep up the great job and thank you so much for this site so I can ask my questions.
- Question- I take the Juneau Police Dept seriously, as others around me do as well. I see a lot of negative feedback from Juneau Police officers and other staff. I think that the Ask a Dispatcher page is a great idea. I have noticed in the last few weeks that whomever answers the questions on this link is getting rather silly and unprofessional.
As a Juneau-Ite, it would seem that anything related to law, justice, or criminal advice, should be taken seriously and not have added humor. This is a data base where Juneau can ask a dispatcher questions that one would ask directly. I would be astounded if I called the non life threatening number at Juneau Police Dept and was given a Dear Abby response to a serious question.
- Question- FYI...there is a party scheduled to be on 4July on Jugg's lot off Montana Creek Rd. It is advertised on fliers throughout JNU that there is going to be a wet t shirt contest and a monster truck rally. It would be great if JPD would show up and shut them down. The area is a neighborhood and is no doubt going to cause a distraction. If not, expect a lot of phone calls as neighbors in Montana Creek are not going to stand for that kind of behavior.
- Question- Driving a motorized vehicle while intoxicated is just plain stupid, I get that. But I've heard you can get a DUI while on a bike or any other transportation with wheels even if its not motorized. Why is this? Is the punishment exactly the same as a motorized vehicle?
I can see someone on a bike hitting someone that may be walking, but why would someone, that just got a DUI while driving a motorized vehicle still be able to ride a bike around if they are no longer able to drive a motorized vehicle?
- Question- i cant reach my husband. can someone go check on him?
- Question- A blue Landrover has been parked on the side of the street in front of 1950 and 1960 Glacier Ave. every evening for the past 4 days without being ticketed. There is a sign about 100 feet behind the car stating that it is in violation to park within a certain number of feet from the road. In April, I parked in this spot and no sooner than two hours later I was ticketed. Is it actually legal for vehicles to be parked in this spot?
- Question- On May 24th, a man was found deceased on Ross Way, apparently the victim of a hit-and-run. Has JPD made any progress in determining what exactly happened? Scary to think someone out there is responsible for a person's death and doesn't think enough of it to turn themselves in.
- Question- I see people throwing cigarette butts out of their cars all of the time. Is it worth it to call the non-emergency line and report the license plate number?
- Question- Are any of the following objects illegal: switchblades, butterfly knives, collapsible batons, pepper spray or brass knuckles?
- Question- In Juneau, what are the laws regarding self defense
- Question- For those of us not familiar with all the park names in Juneau, where exactly is Hidden Park located?
- Question- I was out making my rounds last night and saw that there seemed to be something special going on at Subway here in the valley. Looked to be quite a few officers with their racks light up and shotguns out. I didnt read anything on the bulletin about anything of this nature and was wondering if you could shed some light on this?
- Question- What can I do if the people that live across the street from me swear and yell at my kids when a ball accidentally goes into their yard?
- Question- I live close to Hidden Park. I have a neighbor whom was arrested several months ago for asking young girls to get in his car. He was also arrested recently for a DWI, and not following his probation's. This man continually talks to children and walks from his house to Hidden Park multiple times a day. I have seen him bringing a branch or some sticks with him so that he can throw them in the woods near the park. Lately, my children have noticed him walking on other surrounding streets that are active with children. I am almost tempted to follow him to see what he is doing, is this okay?
- Question- Hello. I am on a yahoo group comprised of 839 Juneau families. A topic of conversation has recently come up. MANY families have expressed concern about an APX (security alarm installer) employee (caucasian, sandy blonde hair, med height, light build, late 20's) who has been going door to door demonstrating behaviors such as entering homes uninvited, refusing to leave property, being verbally abusive, approaching owners' children after being told to leave, and spitting on a house. The list goes on. The company has been called and his actions apparently continue as reports are still rolling in. 2 families on our list have had car windows smashed within days after this guy was asked to leave. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Some parents report that the police were notified and nothing was done about the illegal entry. Isn't the uninvited entry illegal?
- Question- I was recently pulled over for speeding and boy did I learn my lesson! Thank you to the officer who pulled me over! Now that I have been made sure that I stay under 60 (not 65) I have noticed a lot of people going close 90 miles per hour. Is it possible to get more police patrols on Egan during the morning rush, 7:00 - 8:00am to work and the evening 5:00 - 6:00 rush home?
- Question- Yesterday I was driving up Cordova Street to a house I'm housesitting for and there was a couple standing in the road. I kept driving up the hill thinking that they would move and they didn't so I waited... and waited... and eventually honked my horn thinking that would be enough for them to move. Insead of them getting out of the way the guy tried to come attack my car, but his girlfriend was pushing him back until there was enough room for me to go around... my question is, the police could take 5 - 10 minutes to get there, what should a person do if that were to ever happen again (not that people attack cars everyday...)?
Also, I noticed that when I went down the hill later on the police were talking to the man. Did he get arrested?
- Question- If my partner hasn't come home and I want to know if he's been arrested, will the department tell me if I call? Should I call 586-0600?
- Question- Where in Juneau can a teenager legally ride a go-cart?
- Question- Who is responsable for inspecting the docks in the juneau harbors,the city,state or coast guard? We went on a whale watching tour at fishermans bend and one poor gravity challenged person went through one of the slats.
- Question- I was wondering, what the laws are with carrying a firearm, with all these nice weather days we have been having, my wife and I have been going on a lot more hikes up the mountains and on the Juneau forest service trails out the road. We are thinking about bringing our 1 year old with us one of these days, but would feel a lot better knowing in case something goes wrong there is that extra protection. Anything we need to know about rules with carrying a gun on these trails?
- Question- In addition to the question regarding riding dirt bikes, snowmachines and 4-wheelers, what about go-carts? Are they allowed on residential streets, sidewalks, and/or bike paths?
- Question- I have an ex that's threatening to kill himself or me, I'm not sure what I can do and I didn't want to call 9-1-1 because he hasn't done anything yet. Any ideas?
- Question- This message was recently posted to a local yahoo group. Is it true?
"Just an FYI, but I have heard reports about a man hiding out in the trees at Hidden Park (on Mendenhall Blvd) and using a child to lure other kids into the trees for him.
This man may be armed as well.
I don't know how true this story is but I figured I would err on the side of caution in warning people about this in case it is true. Our kids like to play there but we will not be taking them until I hear that either this guy is caught or the story is not true."
- Question- Is there any truth beyond this? I have heard reports about a man hiding out in the trees at Hidden Park (on Mendenhall Blvd) and using a child to lure other kids into the trees for him. This man may be armed as well.
I don't know how true this story is but I figured I would ask since this rumor is spreading very quickly.
- Question- What was all the police action at the super 8 motel Wednesday night 616? It almost appeared to be a standoff but I don't see a report of it anywhere.
- Question- My kids just found a bicycle labeled "Free Bike" (a hand written note was attached) leaning near the street light outside of our home. Before we take it in I'd like to know if there is a way to find out if it is stolen? It's a burgandy/Red Raleigh M-30 Mountain/Trail Serial # R(redacted).
- Question- What are the laws about peeping toms? Especially when you catch them "red handed' face to face through your bedroom window?
- Question- I live on Crow Hill in Douglas, safely trying to see any traffic coming when you are stopped at the bottom of that hill is starting to become impossible with all the brush that has grown out in the last few weeks. Who should I contact about having it cut?
- Question- Why don't I ever see JPD down at DIPAC enforcing the no snagging from the dock? Its a city park isn't it? This is a huge problem, and a safety issue and I never see Fish and Game down there. It makes it so its a place I don't want to take my kids!!
- Question- Is the address, 5000 Glacier Highway, Juneau, AK 99801-7235 a single family swelling or is it an apartment building. If it is an apartment complex, what is the name and a telephone number.
- Question- What is the criteria for appearing on the warrent list posted on the JPD website? Many people in the police blotter, including Miller, were never on this warrent list. It would be nice if the public could view a list of ALL persons with an active warrent.
- Question- hello. I called Sunday afternoon to report a gentleman who was laying on a wooden railing across from the subport lot. I did not think he was breathing and I was wondering if you can tell me the outcome. Thanks.
- Question- Re #100605-013 on 6/5/10 from the Daily Bulletin says:
53YO CAROL VANDOR WAS ARRESTED FOR DWI (BrAC: .252) FOLLOWING A TWO-VEH MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH. SHODDA WAS CITED FOR FAILURE TO YIELD.
My question, who is Shodda?
- Question- First off, thanks for all the hard work keep the people of Juneau safe!
My question is why JPD does not use undercover vehicles for speeding enforcement? I spend my whole workday on Juneau's roads and I am amazed at how bad our Juneau drivers are getting.
At least once a day I get passed by a car load of teenagers going 80+ MPH or get tailgated so close that I can't see their hood.
One thing I notice often is that people behave really well when there is a police cruiser within sight. I think JPD should install undercover lights in a couple of Subaru's and start cracking down on all these bad/dangerous drivers.
Keep up the good work!
- Question- How often do jobs open up for dispatchers? Where would one apply?
- Question- In regards to officers speeding question, I am not talking about in emergency situations or during traffic violations... I am talking about when cops are out just generally driving down the road. Techinically if they are going 1 mile over the speed limit that is speeding, and against the law, correct? or when they are going 60 miles an hour, or faster, whether they are going with the flow of traffic or not, is that not illegal? Basically what i want to know is what procedure would one do, for a cop to get a speeding ticket or traffic violation. in regard to emergency situations, I have fallowed a cop to a certain point a few times when they have gone 65 down the highway just to see where they are headed, not to a stalking degree though if thats illegal, and I have seen the cops are just out driving and and not responding to a call. So what i want to know is, is it okay for a cop to go one mile or any amount over the speed limit if they arent in an emergency situation or responding to a call, and how to see they get prosecuted because we all have equal rights? and i have been harassed and let go by an officer when i myself has been driving 60 down the highway right next to an officer. Also, when i start calling in when i see a cop speeding how do i fallow up and know what action was taken or whether they were technically responding to an emergency. I am not trying to be a pest, but make sure all out rights are equal and that there isnt any special treatment for police officers, although i do respect they put themselves in the line of duty to protect us citizens
- Question- I've seen nothing in the local news about the "high speed chase" on Riverside Drive on Friday evening. Just curious what was going on...and whether the speeding dark-colored SUV was ever stopped. It was very startling to observe, as there were many walkers, joggers, bicyclists, and children in the area (Duck Pond) when I observed the chase in progress...the SUV even passed 2 cars in the "no passing" zone on a curve!
- Question- Just wanted too say I was so glad to see JPD "out the road" this evening keeping everyone safe that was out camping!! Good job! I know it's a long way out but it really does help stop drunk drivers and underage drinking or people being idiots with fire arms out there which is a huge concern out there.
Will there ever be DUI check points maybe set up on weekend nights out there? I think that would really help some weekends. Thank you.
- Question- How come police officers are aloud to go over the speed limit without there lights on in an emergency situation, or better yet, I should ask, who do I contact about prosecuting officers violating speeding laws. It seems 9 out of 10 officers I see are going faster than the speed limit. Its hypocritcal for them to even go a mile over the speed limit.
- Question- If you believe someone is following you but you don't know who they are what information should you right down before calling in the report and what can JPD do if you believe someone is following you.
- Question- Great presentation at the IACP conference. Juneau should be proud.
- Question- Why dosen't anyone enforce the law pertaining to dogs in the back of pick up trucks, I've asked the folks at Animal Contol if they do this and was told that they do not have the authority to enforce this because this is a traffic violation, So I am now asking you JPD if this is true and if this is a traffic violation, why isn't this being enforced, over the last 5 weeks I've seen dogs jump out of a truck bed at 40 MPH I've also seen dogs get bounced out of truck beds and then get hit by the following vehicle, this is a problem and someone needs to fix it my question is who??
- Question- Love the new photo headers!
- Question- How do I get to the new crime reports section of your website that was in the paper
- Question- Today's news article on the Google map for Crime reports.com says there is a link on the jpd web page, but I don't see it. Where should I look?
- Question- In OCT of 05 I was instructed to complete an alchohol class as part of my requirement for my punishment for my possesion of alcohol. I need to get a copy of that "completion" document for my boss. Who do I contact to get that "completion" certificate from the class?
- Question- Why is there no listing for Mr. Walkenford on the JPD or AST Missing Persons pages? Wouldn't that be a good way to circulate his picture for those who do not subscribe to the local newspaper?
- Question- Is it appropriate to call 911 or the JPD business line when a bear is seen walking around? A lot of bears are out this time of year, and I was wondering if it is even necessary to call this in.
- Question- Below is a short article posted online today @ JuneauEmpire.com. Can't JPD cite similarly? I think we all know of an instance when some kid's car stereo is just TOO loud! I know there's some ordinance about stereo noise only being enforceable after a certain hour, but excessive stereo noise in general shouldn't be tolerated. It intrudes upon other people's peace & quiet!! Can't someone do something?! If Fairbanks can, why can't Juneau?
Officer fines drivers who pump up the volume
Story last updated at 5/18/2010 - 11:18 am
The Associated Press
FAIRBANKS – A Fairbanks patrol officer has issued roughly a dozen citations in the past two weeks to motorists with loud stereo systems.
Officer Josh Lambert says he doesn’t mind loud music, but there comes a point where drivers with “ridiculously loud” stereos become a nuisance. And those drivers will be ticketed for breaking city code.
Lambert acknowledges that he’s probably one of the only officers who enforces the noise law. He says different cops have different styles.
The fine is $50 for a first offense, $300 for a second offense within six months of the first and $1,000 for a third violation if it’s within one year of the first.
- Question- The warrent list and bulletin archieve for last weekend do not work on the website. Is it possible to view these even though the links on the website do not work?
- Question- I live down the street from Scott Walkenford and my son and I are very concerned for him. Have any reports come in that he's been found?
- Question- Todays 5/15 daily bulletin doesnt work please repost it.
- Question- Are there laws relating to pellet/bb guns? Distance from road, etc?
- Question- Who is responsible for enforcing handicap parking spots? People parking in these spots without a sticker or plate is getting out of hand. One day at Fred Meyer all the spots in front of the store were taken and not one car had a handicap sticker or plate on them. I know the police have much more serious issues to deal with but if they are responsible for this can I take a picture with my cell phone and send it in so these people can at least get a warning?
- Question- Can you tell me if anyone has reported losing a small rubber raft in the last two weeks? Thank you...
- Question- After reading the panhandling Q&A I was very surprised to see that what goes on down on Wiloughby on a daily basis is actually legal. These people approach me on a daily basis, sometimes coming around the back of my car while I'm getting items out for work. How am I supposed to distinguish the difference between that and a mugger? So my question is, since we can't get rid of the inebriates for panhandling, how about loitering? How about public intoxication? This is getting to be a huge public menace and is anything being done about it?
- Question- Is there a reward for turning somebody in that's listed on the jpd
- Question- Does juneau have a law against using the cell phone while driving.I was sitting at the post office and almost every 4th car someone was yaking on their phone.
- Question- Does the police department serve papers to parties in a dissolution of marriage case?
- Question- Do dispatchers have generic questions ?
- Question- Why hasn't the weekly warrant list been updated lately?
- Question- What are the hours for 1 hour parking downtown?
- Question- Is panhandling illegal in Juneau? My rotaract club wants to do "Panhandling for Polio" (an Rotary international project)this summer.
- Question- How does one go about following up on a call? We had to call in Saturday night about multiple instances of shots fired in our mobile home park. The property managers are unable to do anything without a police report - even though multiple neighbors called them about it...
- Question- I'm familiar with seatbelt laws and car seat laws, but I don't know the answer to this question: What are the laws concerning passengers in the bed of a truck? Without a canopy? With a canopy?
- Question- Any idea when the city is going to get around to restriping the roads.Im trying to teach a 14 yr old to drive,they can't see most of the lines.
- Question- I'm pretty sure it is illegal to pass cars on the right while they are waiting to turn left on a two lane road. Yet almost every morning that there is school, parent taking their children to Riverbend, have other drivers passing them in the northbound bicycle lane. Would it be possible if the next time one of the officers is doing school zone speed enforcement in that area, they could also address the passing on the right?
- Question- There is a stripped car sitting in the parking lot of Skater's Cabin. Does DOT or JPD take care of this?
- Question- How far can a platform stick out past the rear bumper,without putting on lights?
- Question- When do we have to have our studded tires changed?
- Question- Are State of Alaska Mail Truck drivers exempt from the speed limit on Egan Dr. Ya I didn't think so!
- Question- Just wintnessed a beige toyota pickup truck jam into other vehicles and a dumspte behind the Baranof hotel. No injured, female drive is very upset on site.
- Question- My children will be visiting their father (my ex) soon. They are both under the age of 9. My concern is that he will not let me speak with them via telephone (I live in a different state). How can check on them if this happens?
- Question- Is it possible to get a mug shot of someone recently jailed. For sentimental reasons???
- Question- I have a person that likes to come by and honk the horn to the point it becomes annoying. Is there an ordinance that addresses excessive honking when it is not an emergency?
- Question- Good Morning,
I was wondering if the Juneau Police Department was still looking for an "SUV type vehicle" with spray paint black color and tinted windows? This vehicle was seen approaching some kids at the end of February and asking them if they wanted a ride. Not sure if this problem has been resolved. But I saw a 1990-96 Chevy Blazer fitting this exact description yesterday. I have the license plate number if this is still an ongoing investigation.
- Question- Is the person answering all these questions Glenn's mom?
- Question- What does the law say for when a person trys to protect life or property when threatened? Can the person use physical force? Is there a difference on how you can defend yourself if it occurs on your property vs other property? Could a person legally use lethal force, like a firearm, in defense if the situation is serious? This came up during a debate with a friend on the legal limits of self defense and wheter or not you can legally use a firearm in defense-example if you find a burglar in your home vs a burglar/bad person outside the residence-with both causes you honestly feel your life and/or property is in danger. Is it also legal to use lethal force if being attacked or mugged on the street or other public area?
- Question- There is a van parked in road 4100 block mendfnhall blvd
- Question- Is it legal for your designated driver to only have a driver's permit? Does the permit holder's accompanied driver have to be non-impaired?
- Question- What are the penalties for furnishing alcohol to a minor over 18 but under 21? If the minor is married to the person furnishing the alcohol, is it legal?
- Question- How do I find out if a bicycle is stolen? Kid next door came home late at night carrying a green Schwinn Stingray.
- Question- What is the process of calling the police to report a reckless driver on the road? I have had multiple occasions within the last couple of days where cars have almost hit me and then speed off down the road going an ungodly speed. Do they pursue the car? Is it even worth my time to call it in the JPD?
- Question- What are the rules in making a citizens arrest? I know this is a gray area with many opinions about it. Are there specific procedures etc.? Can someone restrain another while waiting for authorities?
- Question- I live in a condo that has "quiet hour" rules. However this situation appears to be domestic violence which a superintendent shouldn't get involved in. My neighbors scream and fight starting at 1:00 a.m. on a consistent basis. Last night there was a loud crash and screaming at 3:30 a.m. Would I call 911 for this?
- Question- My drivers license expires this weekend on my 21st birthday and since I'm not going to renew it until Monday can I still use my expired license to purchase alcohol or would I need to use another form of identification?
- Question- Do patrol officers have to read someone his or her Miranda rights when a person is arrested?
- Question- What is the average call processing time for calls received for emergency assistance?
- Question- Is birdseed considered litter?
I would assume that birdfeeders at home would be fine, but what about prolifically feeding birds on City/State property and causing a general nuisance?
- Question- Do you know something about a missing twelve year old girl this afternoon and evening?
- Question- What is the allowable age difference in adults dating teens? For instance, is an 18 yr old legally allowed to date a 15 yr old?
- Question- I would like to drive a taxi this summer. Can I have the application online?
- Question- What are the laws regarding panhandling in Juneau? Almost every time I walk downtown I am bombarded by at least three requests for spare change. This has become increasingly aggressive and the behavior of some individuals is bordering on assault. For example I will often reply with, "nope" This has been met with a variety of expletives and derogatory comments. Does this cursing fall under the First Amendment, or can I file a formal complaint? Is the city still debating addressing this issue? I'm getting frustrated even visiting downtown anymore, unfortunately my job is located there. Thanks
- Question- Does a van converted to sell hot food need a different license from the DMV?
- Question- About the question on the auction. Can someone's name be put on a list to have the option of buying unclaimed vehicles at auction price?
- Question- Do you have to testify in court if you file charges against someone? I hope not, the incident was tramatic enough!
- Question- I recently went to the auction this past Saturday and was wondering why the cars that were bid on but not picked up on time aren't carried over to the next auction. There was a car that I wanted lost the bid and it wasnt picked up, so it has to be destroyed. So much for recycling.
- Question- What is the maximum legal length for a fixed blade knife to be carried in public?
- Question- I need the phone number for Alaska State police
- Question- Is there an ordinance or law specifying a time that minors accompanied by parent, guardian or spouse over 21 must be out of bars or private licensed clubs?
- Question- Are the laws different for city streets and state roads regarding parking against traffic, which I see happening a lot in residential neighborhoods?
Is it ok to park against traffic on City Streets?
Is it ok to park against traffic on State Roads?
- Question- Juneau has a noise ordinance, correct? If that's the case, can Animal Control write me a ticket for my dog "excessively barking" at around noon on a work day? She wasn't barking during the noise abatement times...putting together the time and day they say she was barking, it would have been while the guys were picking up garbage cans on our street, approximately.
If my dog is barking during the day while I'm at work, can they write me a ticket for it? Doesn't seem fair to dog owners who don't lock their dogs in their cars or in the house all day while we are at work. I make a point of making sure that my dog doesn't bark at night, or early in the morning, but during the day I don't quiet her down (when I'm home) when she's just talking to the dogs who are in the yards that surround mine.
- Question- Is the law no smoking within 10 feet of an entrance? Are there any public buildings where the 10 foot law does not apply?
- Question- Who is your tallest Officer on the force. Is it Hatch or Campbell?
- Question- Is it true that pedestrian have the right of way in Juneau? This is especially dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers during the winter months. Pedestrians step out in front of moving vehicles at crosswalks downtown and expect vehicles (going up hill and downhill) to make very sudden stops even though the roads are slick with black ice or snow.
- Question- Are there any penalties for making false reports or tips? What if it's done anonymously? And if a false report is made against an individual, what action can be taken?
- Question- Are you still hiring for dispatchers?
- Question- How do I get the date of my accident corrected. DMV said on the police report it has 9/12/2009 when it was actually 12/12/2009.
- Question- Where can we ride ATV's & Dirt Bikes here in town? Also any place to 4x4 Off Road?
- Question- Does the city have any regulations about dogs needing to be on leashes? Several times we have been on trails and strange dogs have charged up to us and jumped on us all the while barking and growling. The owners always say the same thing, "oh they won't hurt you." Well I don't know you or your dog - therefore it's a threatening situation. What do you suggest for protecting myself and my family from these unleashed dogs? Does the city ever ticket residents for not picking up their dog's crap left on trails - thinking the airport trail in particular. If not, you could be making a fortune. Thank you for your insight!
- Question- What is the law regarding tinting windows? Also I understand that it’s different per class of vehicle. What are the legal limits on tint and how come a car can't have privacy tint but SUV's can? Also are there exceptions like a car used for business and tinted area of car is "cargo space". I know some cars, like a PT Cruiser, have painted over paneling in lieu of windows.
- Question- At what age/weight is your child allowed to sit in the front seat of your vehicle? My son weighs 40 lbs and is 42 inches tall. Our vehicle airbag automatically turns off when it detects him in the seat. I have seen others riding around with their children in the front seat. Is this breaking the law?
- Question- Any idea when the list of vehicles will be available for the outcry auction.
- Question- I don't see the Citizen Police Academy on your website.
- Question- Has the autopsy been finalized in the Whicker case? I've heard that it was self inflicted but an "official" announcement would be nice so there is no more guessing on what may of happened.
- Question- Is it legal to bring several cartons of cigarettes to Juneau which were purchased legally in another state? All taxes were paid upon purchase. Is there a limit on the number of cartons one may bring here? Would the receiver need to pay local taxes? If so, to whom?
- Question- Re: Open Container law - so if you take home a bottle a wine from a party, it's still against the law? If even if the driver didn't drink? My parents don't drink so when we have dinner there, we usually bring home the wine. We've been breaking the law??
- Question- Is it legal for someone to search your vehicle if it is on their property?
- Question- What is the ordinance for no smoking within 10 feet of a doorway? Are any businesses exempt from the 10 ft rule? There is a business in downtown whose owners and employees along with patrons smoke right outside the door. Who does one make a complaint to since the owners are in violation and don't care?
- Question- Recently, I got into a minor traffic accident; subsequently, I have a broken tail light. The soonest appointment to repair all damage is over a month away. In the meantime, the red tape over the tail light falls off every day. What happens if I get pulled over, and receive a fix it ticket that is due sooner than my repair date when the taillight assembly itself costs more than the deductable I have to pay when I get all the damage fixed? Should I just park it until then?
- Question- Do you like your job?
- Question- What is the law about marijuana? Am I allowed to have any in the privacy of my home? Can I have any plants? Can it be legally sold or bought for medical uses in Alaska? Medical marijuana is in the media consistently, but I am unsure what the laws are here. Is there a way for a recreational user who may only smoke once or twice a month to do so legally? Thanks!
- Question- A friend told me that the ticket for having an open container in a car is a small fine as long as you are not intoxicated. Is this true?
- Question- I've noticed many different hues on headlights lately (white, blueish, yellowish, etc.). Is there any law governing what is "approved" for road use? Are yellow headlights legal?
- Question- I have a ticket that I need to pay online. Any help?
- Question- Do you do animal control?
- Question- What exactly is the age of consent in the State of Alaska? I keep hearing 16 and 18 and am just wondering which one is true? Also if I meet a girl inside a bar, take her home and we have relations, and I then discover that she is not of age, am I cool with the law because I met her in a place where everyone was supposed to be 21?
- Question- I am thinking about moving to Juneau and am wondering about Alaska State Laws concerning marraiges, I married my 16 year old boyfriend here in Massachusetts and am wondering if the state of alaska will recognize our same sex marraige? Also, will I run afoul with the law for providing my spouse with alcohol in the privacy of our own home?
- Question- Can I donate a car for the upcoming outcry auction?
- Question- Where can I donate a car to charity in Juneau?
- Question- Do patrol officers have to inform someone that what they say is being recorded?
- Question- Is it legal to use a propane fired crab cooker or a BBQ on an apartment building outside deck?
I'm pretty sure it's not.
Almost every apartment where I live has one.
My neighbors above me, use their crab cooker, then pour the boiling water on their deck, as if it is a strainer. It's below freezing and my porch is covered in ice and water is dripping as I type this right now.
This has been happening for 3 years. I've told my Landlord. I've asked my neighbors not to do that.
Please tell me what to do from a legal standpoint...before I take matters into my own hands
- Question- Do you know what the law is regarding motorized bicycles? Do you have to have motorcycle endorsement to ride one? Are they legal to ride on the street? Thank you.
- Question- My neighbor has a wood burning stove to heat their trailer. Even when we get burn ban (Air Emergency) days, they continue to burn their stove, whether because they don't know about the ban, or because they don't care, I don't know. Normally I wouldn't mind, however when the wind isn't blowing and the smoke just hangs over the neighborhood, my girlfriend ends up getting serious asthma attacks.
Is there a number that you can call or someone you can contact (preferably anonymously since they are a neighbor I have to see every day) when they are clearly ignoring the burn ban?
- Question- Why was the crime line link removed?
- Question- Is it ok to use spanking for disciplining your child? With your hand? With a wooden spoon?
- Question- Is JPD aware of all the young kids in vehicles (mainly trucks and SUVs) who hang out in Mendenhall Mall parking lot(s), driving recklessly from one parking lot to the other across the street, and doing brodies to impress each other? We've nearly gotten hit a couple of times, especially out in front of the former Gottschalks area. Check there on weekday afternoons (4:30/5:00)...I'm sure a few citations could be written!!
- Question- Is there anything that can be done about the "boom boxes" that drive around town? For example, when waiting at a traffic light and one pulls up nearby or right behind you; or ones that drive down Riverside (I live off Riverside and can hear them going by out on Riverside). This has been a problem in Juneau for a long time and it is very frustrating for those of us who enjoy peace & quiet! Most occurrences seem to happen when it's dark, so it's nearly impossible to get a license plate number to call in to JPD. :-( Is there a noise ordinance to address this?
- Question- When contacting your patrol officers, do you use ten codes to cut down on radio traffic time? If so, do you have a list of the ten codes that can be obtained by the general public?
- Question- I believe that my daughter is being baited by her soon to be ex-husband into entering the house to get the kids. He told her if she wanted them she had to come in and get them. There is no child custody agreement at this time. They just have a verbal agreement and has been okay until now.
I know that there is nothing that can be done but I am afraid something is going to happen tonight because he is breaking their verbal aggrement. I believe he wants to get her arrested for trespassing so he looks better in court for child custody. Just want someone to be aware of the situation just in case.
- Question- is it cold up there?
- Question- I need to pay my parking ticket, can I do that online?
- Question- What rights, if any, do citizens have about having their photos taken? What action can be taken if someone is photographing an individual who does not want to be photographed or video taped, especially in public areas like stores, gyms or schools?
- Question- A few days ago, I witnessed a scuffle between a security guard and a pair of young males. Aside of helplessly watching the officer get beat, what does the law allow us to do?
- Question- A neighbor has apparently parked a truck and boat in the road for the winter (no different than summer-- they were parked there 24/7 anyways). With the snow fall, and plowing, the road is quickly becomming one lane due to their decision to not use their driveway to park these. Is there a law against using the road as personal parking spots?
- Question- I live in a newly built subdivision and the street lights are not active. At night the street is pitch black and is very unsafe for anyone to walk on. Even leaving the house in the morning it is hard to tell if someone is walking behind me as I back out of the driveway. I called the street department and the manager said the street is city maintained now, but the contractor hasn't done their job. A petition has been sent to the contractor signed by subdivision residents to remedy this, but no action has been taken. What is a person to do to get the lights turned on the make the street safer?
- Question- Can you tell me what the CBJ noise ordinance is for barking dogs? I'm actually trying to be pro-active as the owner of two small barky dogs. They like to go out on our deck for short periods(residential area) and yes they bark at anything that moves. I don't let them out late in the evenings or too early in the morning, but I would like to follow the rules if you could provide the exact times. I tried to call GHS but cannot get through to a person. Thanks from Douglas.
- Question- how do i get a temporary restraining order or injunction
- Question- Is there a junk car ordinance? My next door neighbors have 2 cars that have not moved in a year or more, but sit rusting next to my property line. This makes my home look junky too. How do I anonymously report this and to who?
- Question- My neighbors "party" every night, making noise, tossing cigarette butts in other neighbors driveway, ect. I have complained to my Landlord and she says "call the Police".
How can I solve this matter?
- Question- None of my nieces and nephews who have little kids has a landline phone. All rely entirely on cell phones. They think it is perfectly reasonable. I think it is incredibly irresponsible. Does JPD have a view? I don't think a 3 to 6 year old can be expected to know how to dial 911 on a cell, if they can even find it. Can you even find a home that has dialed 911 on a cell? I actually don't even like digital phone service where you must sign a disclaimer that 911 may not be reliable. But cell phones? I would really like to hear your view on the safety of living in a building that has no landline phone at all. Mostly so that I can know whether to voice my concerns or to remain silent. Am I really hopelessly old fashioned? Oh my god, this is a Dear Abby question, isn't it? Well, so be it.
- Question- I asked a question a month ago and I still havent seen it posted yet. Is there a screening of questions and have to meet a certain criteria in order to be viewed by the public?
- Question- Is there any truth in someone in the Riverside Drive and Gee Street going door to door trying to obtain money to get home and casing homes for a future robbery?
- Question- What is the law for leaving children home alone? Is there a age they have to be? Even if its just for an hour?
- Question- I couldn't help but notice this line in the disclaimer for the Ask a Dispatcher page: "Ask A Dispatcher does not give legal advice, tax advice, or cooking advice." Legal advice I can see, tax advice? Maybe. But *cooking* advice? Please tell me there is a crazy story behind that one being in there.
- Question- Hi, awesome JPD dispatchers! I have seen some emails going around about a Valley burglar who is posing as a salesman in order to case homes and rob them later. I have been asked to post a memo about it on JuneauParents but wonder if there is truth to it. Could you email to me anything official & public about this so I can increase awareness. Is there a way to get notice of JPD press releases?
- Question- How long can a car park in a street side parking spot before it’s considered abandoned? Parking downtown is a hot commodity and there is a light blue Jeep that has been parked in the same spot, with a flat tire, for a couple of weeks now! Who can this be reported to?
- Question- Is there going to be a description of the suspect(s) released to the general public?
- Question- With the roads turning icy, and all of the car accidents today, I would like to know what people should do if they witness a car accident from JPD's perspective. Perhaps if people know what to do we can take better care of each other! Keep up the great work!
- Question- What is up with all the burglaries lately? There seems to be so many more than normal reported in the last month or so. What do you suggest to help protect our homes besides good locks on doors and windows?
- Question- Why can't reformed convicted felons work as a dispatcher?
- Question- Does the department offer ride along?
- Question- I live in lemon creek and when I leave my house in the morning the school light is on. There's a particular car who constantly speeds through this area at this time.
Just a bit ago that same car happened to get stuck behind me. I'm going the school speed limit and this car begins to tail gate. I know that when a car is tail gating, I am supposed to pull over for the tailgating car. But should the same rule be applied during a school zone?
- Question- What was going on in the N Douglas area this morning (10/24 0800) that required 4 + police cars driving by my house going 70+ mph?
- Question- I live up Cordova Street go through the Cordova Street & Douglas Highway intersection 4x daily. Sometimes the embedded crosswalk lights work and sometimes they don't. They get covered with ice or snow. I see cars coming from Douglas that have come to a stop and are waiting on a left turn. They are waiting for traffic or a pedestrian to cross. It is appalling to see the number of motorists that will drive around a stopped vehicle (fast sometimes)! Those motorists sometimes cannot see a small child already in the crosswalk. Children cross that highway daily and I shudder at the thought, especially with dark winter nights upon us. Can't something be posted so that cars must stay in queue and not skirt around stopped vehicles? Can something be done? P.S. Thank you for this site...it is awesome and I enjoy the Dispatchers' wit!
- Question- Since Juneau is landlocked with no roads out, is it possible to get Grand Theft Auto charges?
- Question- What type of events have to happen in order for someone to get a restraining order against an individual? And is this permanent or just a 2 or 5 year period that it is effective for?
- Question- Every day I check out the warrants listed on your website. Today there are four. But on the daily bulletin there may be several listed as being arrested for outstanding warrants not listed. Why?
- Question- In regards to noise disturbances: I have a neighbor who frequently plays very loud music outside of his garage while working on his truck after 10pm. I know that I am not the only person in the neighborhood who is agitated with this disturbance. My question is this: Who would we contact to get them to be quiet? I don't feel comfortable calling 9-1-1 for a non-emergency, but my family can not sleep!
- Question- I live in an area with many restaurant/bars/church hall where parking is at a premium. Several times I've had my driveway blocked by someone's car. What can I do to get the car removed?
- Question- I have a Winchester 30-30 rifle that I would like to sell. Are there any restrictions such as licensing or registration that need to be followed?
- Question- Did anyone turn in a black AT&T Samsung phone (lost Sept 25 between 7:39 am and 4:00 pm, between the Federal Building and JDHS)?
- Question- I live in an apartment building that is next to the current construction of another building. It is 10:45 PM on a Wednesday and they men are still out there with their loud machines and huge bright lights (shining into my windows) working away. Isn't 10:45 awfully late to still be doing work 30 feet away from an apartment building with people trying to sleep? Or am I just unlucky because I live in Lemon Creek and it's a mixed zone area?
- Question- No question, but I appreciate the answers you've provided to the various queries!
You are very welcome, kind sir or ma’am. Please allow me to use this submission for a planted JPD dispatch question.
If I am running late or don’t want to burn gas with a long ‘warm up’ for my car, can I drive with only a small area of my windshield clear of frost?
- Question- Where I moved here from the police frequently performed road checkpoints, and these always seemed to result in a large number of warrant arrests along with other charges. But having lived here a decade have never seen or heard of one being performed here and was wondering why not?
- Question- How many sworn positions does your deparment have?
- Question- Are bears pumpkin eaters? I want to carve pumpkins for my porch and yard but don't want to attract bears.
- Question- I hope to prevent an accident at the end of St. Ann's Ave - in the 300 block. Parents allow and even participate with their children to play in the street. The last few evenings they have had baseball games, causing traffic to slow, stop, and change lanes to avoid hitting children. These are great families and kids, so I don't understand why they take the risk, especially since they are located right above a number of empty playgrounds and baseball diamonds. I am hoping you can forward this to a patrol officer who maybe able (I know they are busy!) to drive by and give them some education in this matter. At this time their are eight kids playing baseball right in the road - without a parent.
- Question- I recently saw a woman in a parking lot screaming and hitting her very young child. Another person stepped in and tried to calm the lady down. It worked for a few minutes but we were all very concerned for the child's safety. Who can I call if I see something like this again? If we don't know the person's name, what can we provide for someone to check on the child?
- Question- Who do we notify about problem bears? One is spending a lot of time around Spruce, Parks, and Behrends near the cemetary, getting into garbage and beginning to scare people walking dogs in the dark.
- Question- One day, my neighbor screamed that he would kill my dog if he were ever to see it again, threw trash cans and pieces of wood at my dog. My dog is very friendly and did escape from the back yard for a few minutes. All she did was cross the street and sniffed the trees while wagging her tail (this came from a witness). She was not on his property nor posed any threat to anyone yet this neighbor threatened my dog's life. The neighbor did apologize about his behavior later on but I am still terrified of him. What can I do to insure that my dog, fellow neighbors, and I will be safe?
- Question- I have a valid driving license. From time to time I forget to take my wallet with my license with me in the car. Does "driving without a valid license" refer to the legal possession of a license (such as not having it suspended by a court) or to the physical possession of a license in the car or both?
- Question- What is the CBJ rule about blaring car horns at 5:30am ? Renter next door has his truck horn connected to his auto start, and every morning at 5:30 am sounds like a freight train blasting through our bedroom windows as he parks 20 feet way. Residential area and I have already lost one renter due to the honkers rudeness. I have spoke with him about it, and he says he cannot or willnot? disable the horn. I have also spoke with his landlord and he has spoke with him to no avail. Situation is getting heated and costing me good tenants. What are my rights?
- Question- Is a "Driving without a license" a criminal offense or just a traffic violation like speeding?
- Question- What are the laws regarding kids under 16 riding dirt bikes, 4-wheelers and snow machines on neighborhood city streets?
- Question- If I have a rental and there is an individual that visits the rental but has been verbally notified by the property owner that they are not to be on the property and does not follow the request of the property owner. What is the next step for the property owner?
- Question- We have what looks like a drug-type mushroom growing in the back yard. I don't want my kids or dog to get it. How do I safely remove it and should I notify someone about it? (I guess I just did)
- Question- At what point does a non-communicative 20 year old daughter become a missing person and merit an official report?
- Question- Someone hung a basketball hoop on a telephone pole on a corner that is not a cul-de-sac. Cars drive around this corner and often have to disperse the kids on nice days in order to pass through. This seems extremely dangerous and I am concerned someone is going to get hit, especially if a driver is rushing or speeding around that corner. Is it against the law to hang objects on telephone poles? There is a playground two blocks away with covered basketball areas.
- Question- How do you go about getting a hold of GHS animal control on the weekends or afterhours?
- Question- Where can a person get fingerprints taken for a CCP?
- Question- I have a family that needs a car seat for riding in a cab. Where can they get a car seat?
- Question- What does the Police department recommend a driver do when somebody is following to close? On Douglas highway it happens more often than not!
- Question- Someone who lives on Columbia Blvd seems to think it is their right to park on the sidewalk (with at least one vehicle a night, sometimes more) when there is no parking on the street in that particular area. In addition, the vehicles that they do park in their driveway typically blocks the sidewalk as well. I have had to walk around their vehicles and sometimes even switch sides on many occasions because of their actions. As a citizen, what would be the proper way of handling this?
- Question- My husband recently got pulled over for "not wearing" his seat belt. He was wearing the lap belt though... Is it law that the driver of a vehicle must wear the shoulder belt also??
Also, looking at the ticket he was given for not carrying proof of insurance in the vehicle, I cannot tell how much the ticket cost is. Is there any way for me to find that out??
- Question- Is there anywhere in Juneau I can get some disposable breathalyzers? Does JPD sell them to the public? I need them by Friday! Thanks.