City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

If you can read this, your browser is not style sheet compliant. If you are using an ADA browser, continue on for information and menu links.For more information regarding the City and Borough Juneau's new website design, click [here].

How Do I...

Appeal a Citation Get My Impounded Vehicle Abandoned Vehicle File an Online Police Report Apply for Employment Request A Police Report Compliments/Complaints Contact Us

JPD Menu

People of Interest

Felony Theft - ShopliftingEntire List

Juneau Police Department

Vehicle Impound

Frequently Asked Questions


Q.  How do I get my vehicle out of impound?

A.  If you are the registered owner you can come to the police department between 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday, to make the necessary arrangements.  You must bring you photo ID and have cash or credit card to pay the impound fees.


Q.  Can I get my possessions out of the car without getting the car itself out of impound?

A. It depends.  To get essential items out of the vehicle you must be the registered owner, or provide a notarized letter from the registered owner giving you permission to access the vehicle.  Only essential items, like identification, medication, and child car seats will be released.  You can make arrangements to retrieve essential items by talking to the sergeant on duty at 586-0600.  The normal time to retrieve essential items is at 9:00 AM.  Non-essential items will not be released from the vehicle.  The easiest way to retrieve all your items is to get your vehicle out of impound.


Q. Why can’t I get my vehicle until after 72 hours?

A.  State law requires a 72 hour hold for vehicles impounded for certain violations.  These violations include driving under the influence and driving without a valid operator’s license.


Q.  I am out of town.  Can I send someone else to pick up my vehicle?

A.  Someone else can pick up your vehicle for you if they bring a notarized letter from you stating that is okay. They will need to bring their photo ID and have cash or a credit card to pay the impound fees.


Q.  The vehicle is not registered in my name.  Can I get it out of impound.

A. No.  State law only allows us to release vehicles to the registered owner.


<<  Back to Previous Page



CBJ Image