PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE

March 7, 2000

Minutes

Assembly Chambers Ė City Hall

6:00-9:00 p.m.

  1. ROLL Called

    Meeting was called to order at 6:00pm

    Members Present: Alex Lukshin, Jeff Wilson, Jim King, Joane-Herbage OíKeefe, Lynn Bartlett, and Jim Preston

    Jim Preston was introduced as the new committee member. He resides in the Auke Bay area, has been a resident of Alaska since grade school and has been in Juneau for the last 16 years. He is a retired school teach, very active with the Glacier Swim Club and is President of the Charter Boat Association.

    Staff Present: Kim Kiefer, P&R Director, Cristi Herren, Rec. Supt, Bob Grochow, Parks and Landcape Supt, Mary Pat Wyatt, Curator and Judy Nobles, Secretary

  2. PUBLIC TESTIMONY ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS

    None

  3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

    Unanimously approved

  4. APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES

Joan requested a small modification be made on Page 4 and Alexís asked that his name be corrected . Joan made motion with these modifications made, the minutes be approved. No objections, minutes unanimously approved. (Changes were also made to correct Joan Herbage-Oíkeefe in the roll call and Mary Pat Wyatt, Museum Curator)

V. ACTION ITEMS

    1. Museum Board

Kim Kiefer:

Cathryn Colin, Chair of Historical Resources Advisory Committee:

Ken Garue, Curator of Alaska State Museum:

Jim Lukshin:

Jeff Wilson:

Alex Lukshin:

Kim Kiefer:

Jeff Wilson made the motion that PRAC ask The Historical Resources Advisory Board serve as a Board to the City Museum. Seconded

Was unanimously approved.

During this discussion several young people came in. Kim told the PRAC she thought she knew why they were there and suggested they be heard before it got late.

PUBLIC COMMENT:

Chicken Yard Park:

Wilna Moen Ė 513 East St

Abe Levi

Kellen

Sam Greeley: Ė 529 East Street, 9 years old

Britney Mollen:

Jeff Wilson:

Bob Grochow:

It was asked if there were any neighborhood meetings?

Bob Grochow:

Lynn Bartlett:

Bob Grochow:

Wilna Moen

Bob Grochow:

Abe Greeley:

Jeff Wilson:

Bob Grochow:

There is money to address the safety issues only. The safety zone around the swing is a big one. There are code issues that require safety.

There was additional discussion about having another meeting with the neighborhood. There isnít money to have it all done but to see what can be done.

Alex Lukshin asked if the swings are safe?

Bob Grochow:

Jamie Sarzinski:

Jeff Wilson:

Bob Grochow:

Jamie Sarzinski:

Sam: Yeah, a lot of people from the charter school use it and they like to use the swings. If you take out the swings they arenít going to have any choices.

Alex Lukshin:

Mrs. Greeley:

Britney:

Abe Greeley:

Alex:

Jeff Wilson:

Kim: Yes.

Kim Kiefer asked Jamie to about a tentative time. Jamie responded the last meeting was in the Crondahl house.

There was a brief discussion on where to have it.

Alex Lukshin: Lets go to the next item.

Discussion started regarding the letter generated at the request of the chair to the Public Policy Committee concerning the tax money to be spread out to the Parks and Recreation Dept. for our needs.

Kim Kiefer:

Extensive discussion ensued regarding the letter to be sent to the Public Policy Committee. Alex Lukshin discussed the fact the City Attorney had already gone ahead with the ordinance. Lynn Bartlett agreed with Jim King? that P&R should fall under CIP but felt being listed separately would lend us credibility. Lynn is totally against. Jeff Wilson suggested we could use the money for fixing up Marine Park and even repairing the shelters.

Lynn Bartlett:

Alex Lukshin:

 

Jim King:

Ken Dean and I went over thislist of things and we didnít thin the Assembly would give us all the money but we thought as advocates of the Parks and Recreation department we should make a statement. We felt this is where the money should go. We discussed a professorship at the University for researching and planning how little communities like ours can accommodate these things without losing what we have. We wanted it all and we wanted some of that money to go to the University to have a permanent professorship. A plus thing for Juneau. We need something that will work well with other Communities. A way to research tourism in other coastal communities.

Jeff Wilson:

Lynn Bartlett:

Jeff Wilson:

Kim Kiefer:

Lynn Bartlett:

Jeff Wilson:

 

Jim Preston:

There was discussion whether the PRAC should go after one of the general public seats and the competition involved with doing that.

Jeff Wilson:

Lynn Bartlett:

Jeff Wilson:

Alex?

Lynn?

There was discussion who would be a good selection from the PRAC for the Public Policy Committee.

Kim Keifer:

Alex Lukshin:

Jim Dean:

 

Jim Preston

Lynn Bartlett:

Jim Preston:

Someone suggested the PRAC Liaison (Cathy Munoz) could give insight as to what to do.

Kim Keifer:

Jeff Wilson:

Jim Preston:

Lynn Bartlett:

 

Jim King

 

 

Alex Lukshin:

Jeff Wilson:

Alex Lukshin:

Jeff Wilson:

Motion was made Ė Jim seconded it, No objectionÖso ordered.

Jim King will work with Ken Dean on the other letter and everyone will sign it.

Treadwell Mine Historic Action Plan:

Kim Kiefer:

Jim Preston:

Kim Kiefer:

 

Jim King:

Lynn Bartlett:

Kim:

Lynn Bartlett:

Jeff Wilson:

Alex Lukshin:

Jim King:

Auke Lake Subdivision Plan

Kim Kiefer:

Lynn Bartlett:

Kim Kiefer:

Jeff Wilson:

Kim:

Jeff Wilson:

Kim Kiefer:

This is a piece of property that the Univiersity could sell the lots and put money back in the UAS. Park of the Lands Management Plan. (Long term plan)

Alex Lukshin:

Lynn Bartlett:

Jeff Wilson:

Jim King:

Joan Herbage-OíKeefe:

 

 

Jim Preston

Lynn Bartlett:

Jeff Wilson":

Kim Kiefer:

Jim King:

Kim Kiefer:

  1. INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. Museum Mission Statement

Read by KimÖ.(you requested it last meeting)

Twin Lakes Letter:

Kim Kiefer:

Just after PRACís last meeting, Bob and I attended this meeting. We are moving forward to replace the slide gates. This isnít a new item but I wanted to keep you updated. We have requested money to replace them. I would like to see a meeting of a neighborhood group interested in Twin Lakes. Right now the slide gates are leaking and we are losing a lot of water. About an inch a day. I will be responding back to this letter.

 

Jeff Wilson:

Kim Kiefer: Yes, and even the mayor signed it.

Bob Grochow:

Lynn Bartlett:

Kim:

Yes, at one of them.

Quarterly Report

Cristi Herren:

Alex Lukshin:

Cristi Herren:

Discussion was held about Capital School being open now for rental and the cost. (25.00 hour) This pays for staff and janitorial.

 

Jim Preston:

 

Kim Kiefer:

Alex Lukshin:

Could we request Engineering to take a look at this.

Kim Keifer:

It was asked if we will need all new tiles. Kim said no, some areas are loose and will be replaced but not all. The kids tiles for the most part will be saved.

Jeff Wilson:

Kim Kiefer:

Alex Lukshin: Who initiated that?

Kim Kiefer: Actually I was part of it and went to the Assembly.

Lynn Bartlett: Are you giving public notice?

Kim: Yes, we will be. We will be doing something from the Parks and Recreation standpoint.

Alex Lukshin: Do we have any space for youth volley ball?

Kim: 2 years ago there wasnít enough interest to form teams.

 

Jim Preston:

Sandi Wagner tried to generate coed volleyball but could not sustain it for the whole winter.

Cristi Herren:

Alex Lukshin: Thank you Cristi for preparing all this information.

  1. COMMITTEE REPORTS
  2. ChAIR REPORT

     

  3. DIRECTOR REPORT

We have forwarded proposal to the Assembly for a laborer for ten months. They will stain and paint the outside of Centennial Hall and when it is raining do projects on the inside. This will push off the $500.000 that it is going to cost in a couple of years.

Last night there was a Resolution to approve a transfer of tideland from DNR to the City. Two areas of park land. We want to assume full responsibility.

Jeff Wilson:

Kim Keifer:

WE donít want to lose any fields. WE may be cutting some trees for Field #4 and will be doing a PSA on that, letting the public know what is happening and we are going to be getting phone calls about that.

Alex Lukshin:

A short discussion was held about the Haufman land exchange. Kim said we are going ahead with an appraiser.

Lynn Bartlett asked about Adair Kennedy. Kim updated her and advised the timeline has the final work being completed by the beginning of August in time for football. The lighting on the Adair and Melvin Park is in place and is now waiting on just the light components to arrive.

Fields are not ready to use.

Lynn Bartlett: Thank you for getting the berm out from in front of the equipment shed.

Kim Kiefer

Lynn Bartlett advised she may not be at the next meeting. She will be in Washington DC from April 27 Ė 4th.

 

X-OFFICIO REPORTS

  1. CORRESPONDENCE

    Meeting was adjourned at 8:25pm

     

  2. ADJOURNMENT