FEBRUARY 22, 1918-The Seeley Drug Co., known as Seeley’s Busy Corner, has been closed by the U. S. Marshall following filing of a suit by the Stewart & Holmes Drug Co. of Seattle. The store was opened about two years ago by W. H. Seeley, who was backed by Dr. Halford, dentist. Recently Seeley went south and has not returned. According to suit, $1,959.42 is owed the wholesale firm.
JANUARY 30, 1919-A. H. Ziegler, prominent young Juneau attorney, returned here last night on the steamer, Alameda after receiving his discharge from the Navy. He has been stationed at Baltimore and plans to leave here in a few days for Ketchikan where he will open a law office.
MARCH 3, 1921-The new Alaska Native Brotherhood hall on Douglas Island is being christened tomorrow evening with a social hour and dance. The building, formerly known as the Croatian Hall, is located between the Mexican Mine and the Treadwell store. The Brotherhood has purchased the building, which will be moved to Juneau and placed on a Willoughby Avenue site.
AUGUST 4, 1926-Publication of a magazine devoted to the geography, history and commerce of Alaska has been announced, with publication to start about August 25. It will be known as Alaska Magazine and John E. Meals will be the editor. The board of directors includes Meals, Judge James Wickersham, R. L. Bernard, Albert S. Brown and H. F. Preston.
MAY 14, 1927-Edward Leach, former cook on the mailboat Estebeth and on other vessels has purchased the Home Cafe on Front Street next to the Gastineau Electric Company.
FEBRUARY 14, 1929-The Rev. O. A. Stillman has resigned as pastor of Northern Light Presbyterian Church because of his ill health. The resignation is effective April 1. The Rev. and Mrs. Stillman came to Gastineau Channel in 1923 in the service of the Congregational Church and lived in Douglas. After the Northern Light Presbyterian Church burned on December 27, 1925, he changed his pastorate to that church and supervised the building of the new building at Fourth and Franklin Streets.
JUNE 17, 1933-Dr. W. W. Council has been appointed Territorial Health Commissioner by Governor John Troy. He succeeds Dr. H. C. DeVighne who has served for 12 years in the position and whose term expired on May 12. Dr. Council has practiced medicine in the territory for the past 27 years, first at Ellamar for two years, then at Cordova for 19 years. He came to Juneau in 1927.
FEBRUARY 7, 1934-The Star Bakery, owned by J. A. Safoulis, has moved to the space on South Franklin Street formerly occupied by the Northern Light Pool Room. The building, recently extensively remodeled, also houses the White Spot Cafe, Valet Cleaners and Alstrom News Stand.
OCTOBER 11, 1935-The new Juneau Motor Company building at the foot of Main Street is now open for business. The two story, 70 by 95 foot building was designed by N. Lester Troast and Associates, architects, and built by Foss Construction Company. E. E. Ninnis is proprietor of the firm and is holding an open house with door prizes. The company was founded in 1925 by Harry I. Lucas, purchased by Frank McCafferty in 1931 and by Ninnis is August, 1934. (Note: The above building was destroyed by fire and replaced by the present one.)
JULY 14, 1937-Henry H. “Doc” Hollmann has leased new store space at the northeast corner of Second and Seward Streets, formerly occupied by the Piggly Wiggly Market and will open the Hollmann Pharmacy about August 1. He will be assisted in the store by Jackson B. Rice.
JULY 24, 1940-Some 4,100 square feet of glass and 3,300 feet of pipe have gone into the reconstruction of the greenhouses of Juneau Florists on Glacier Highway just north of town. The two buildings measure 20 by 100 and 21 by 100 feet. Claude Carnegie is owner of the firm.
SEPTEMBER 22, 1940-E. E. Weschenfelder, Spuhn Island fox farmer, has a story in a recent issue of “American Fur Breeder” relating his success story. Weschenfelder homesteaded 156 acres on the island fourteen years ago and leases an additional 60 acres from the government. At first he let his foxes run loose, but poachers and natural enemies took a heavy toll of them. He pioneered in the pen raising of blue foxes and has been very successful.
FEBRUARY 20, 1941-Work will begin tonight on a 12,000 yard rock fill on the north side of Willoughby Avenue next to the government school and in part of the Native village. The work will be carried on by the Forest Service as long as Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees are available. Nine truck drivers will be at work, four on the day shift and five at night. The city is cooperating by changing sewer lines and the Bureau of Indian Affairs is moving buildings and widening street in the village.
JANUARY 6, 1942-New officers were installed by Igloo No. 6 and Auxiliary No. 6, Pioneers of Alaska, last evening. For the Pioneers, Dean C. E. Rice is president; Ed McIntyre, first vice president; Sam J. Paul, second vice president; Al Zenger, secretary; John Reck, treasurer; Jack Langseth, historian; C. W. Carter, chaplain; and W. E. Bathe, sergeant-at-arms. C. W. Carter was named a trustee. For the auxiliary, the president is Lillie Hooker. Lottie Spickett is vice president, Irene McKinley is secretary and Mary Bavard is treasurer. The chaplain is Helen Rice, the historian is Elizabeth Sey, and the sergeant-at-arms is Mable Nance. Tura Fox is a new trustee.
JANUARY 26, 1943-Lloyd V. Connell, registered pharmacist from Chicago, has been added to the staff at the Harry Race Drug Store. He arrived in Juneau yesterday evening. Connell and Hugh Jr. Wade were formerly schoolmates in Des Moines, Iowa.
Parks & Recreation, City and Borough of Juneau, Alaska