Parks and Recreation Image

Juneau-Douglas City Museum

Carter, Dr. Cassius & Margaret

by Carla Carter Wallace

Dr. Carter came to Alaska in 1932, as medical officer in charge of Alaska Native Hospital at Tanana. He became chief of the Alaska Native Clinic at the old Government Hospital in Juneau in 1934. In 1936, he founded the Juneau Clinic with three other physicians: Dr. William Whitehead, Dr. W. W. Council and Dr. W. P. Blanton. He was Juneau’s city health officer from 1943-1963, physician for the federal jail from 1944-1953 and consultant physician for the Selective Service Board during WW II.

Dr. Carter and his family were living in the Goldstein Building when it burned down in 1939. They escaped with little other than the clothes on their backs. His friends thought of Dr. Carter as a true “pioneer physician.” He never hesitated to make emergency sick calls to isolated communities by boat or plane, regardless of weather or risk.

Dr. Carter was a member of the AMA, the Alaska State Medical Assn. of which he was a past president. He was a past president of the Board of Medical Examiners, to which the Governor appointed him. He was an ardent sportsman and loved hunting moose in Haines with Dr. William Seig and Forest Young. He was an active member, trustee and elder of the Northern Light Presbyterian Church. He and other members devoted a great amount of time keeping the church pipe organ working.

Dr. Carter died of brain cancer at St. Ann’s Hospital in 1963. Dr. Carter had two children, Robert and Carla.

Margaret Carter came to Alaska in 1932. She went to Tanana as a nurse with the Indian Service and transferred to Juneau in 1935. She was on the staff of the Government Hospital in Juneau when Dr. Carter was physician in charge. They were married in August 1936. Mrs. Carter was a member of the Territorial Nurses Association, active in Girl Scouts work and head of the Girl Scout Organization in Alaska for several years. She was also an active member of the Northern Light Presbyterian Church. She passed away in June 1953.