Bolyan, Clyde E.
by Clyde E. Bolyan
Clyde was born in 1915, in Sabula, Missouri. He came to Alaska with his mother, Helen DeVol, on the Alaska Steamship Aleutian on its maiden voyage. The Aleutian later hit a rock and sank in the Kodiak area. Helenís new husband, George Bolyan, adopted Clyde in Fairbanks in 1928. Clyde attended grade school in Wasilla, Fairbanks and Thane. He graduated from Juneau High School in 1933. He attended Alaska Agriculture and School of Mines for the 1933-34 school year and then transferred to the New York Merchant Marine Academy at the Brooklyn Naval Yard and worked on ships going to Europe and Central America. He returned to Alaska and worked for his father in their gold mine on Chichagof Island.
In 1938, Clyde married Hilja Reinikka, a Douglas girl. After their marriage, Clyde and Hilja lived in Cobol and Douglas. Clyde worked at the Alaska-Juneau Mill for two years leaving in the spring of 1941, to move to California and work with North American Aviation in Englewood. After World War II was over, he and his family returned to Alaska and lived in Anchorage. He worked at the Alaska Air Depot at Fort Richardson, in the grocery business, and CAA (now known as FAA) and after 25 years with the government retired. During his tenure with FAA, he traveled to almost every installation they had throughout Alaska. After his retirement in 1976, Clyde and Hilja traveled extensively, sometimes on cruise ships, planes and by auto. At last count, he had made 27 trips over the Alcan Highway. Clyde continues to make his home in Anchorage and travels every chance he gets. Clyde and Hilja had four children: Clyde Henry, Arthur George, Christine Helen, and Johanna Kay. He is now blessed with numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren and residing in Anchorage and Matanuska Valley.