Parks and Recreation Image

Parks & Recreation

Featured Links

Auke Lake Contact Parks & Recreation P&R Comprehensive and Master Plans Parks and Trails Report Graffiti, Vandalism or Trash Salty the Sea Otter Shelter Reservations Subscribe to P&R News

Facilities & Recreation

Adult Sports Augustus Brown Pool Centennial Hall Convention Center Dimond Park Aquatic Center Jensen-Olson Arboretum Parking Facilities Treadwell Ice Arena Youth Sports Zach Gordon Youth Center

Mission Statement

Promote recreational and cultural opportunities and maintain and enhance City and Borough of Juneau facilities and resources.

News Items

Toddlers about Town- Free use of recreation facilities week!- ages 6 and under (click here for more details)DPAC Winter Swim Lesson Registration FormsTen Reasons to Give Thanks for Parks & RecStart Smart Basketball Registration - starts 11/8/14SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH P&RTreadwell's skating scheduleDimond Park Aquatic Center P.F.D. Annual Pass Sale Ends December 31Augustus Brown Pool P.F.D. ANNUAL PASS SALE - ends December 31Follow the Treadwell Arena on Twitter!Follow the Parks department on Twitter!Follow Dimond Park Aquatic Center on Twitter!Follow AGB Pool on Twitter!Youth Activities Board Meeting NoticeMt. Jumbo Gym is OPEN!Follow @ZachGordonYouth on Twitter!Off Highway Vehicles (OHV) Park informationFollow the Recreation Department on Twitter!Youth Basketball RegistrationCoed Volleyball Team RegistrationWatch this amazing video about the Arboretum!Aquatics Facility Advisory BoardCope Park Master PlanParks & Recreation Advisory CommitteeSkating with the SchoolsJuneau Non-Motorized Transportation PlanJuneau Non-Motorized Transportation Plan MapsJensen-Olson Arboretum Advisory Board MeetingDimond Park Aquatic Center DesignParks & Recreation Comprehensive PlanSavikko Park Master Plan


2014 Application (click here)for

  • Commercial Use Permits for 1 - 10 - 30 days



Temporary Permits for 1-to-10 operation days or 1-to-30 operation days:
Authorization to operate a commercial enterprise within CBJ Parklands or a facility for periods of less than 30 days in a calendar year.  For the applicant who does not need the two-year permit.  This permit is site specific and is non-renewable within that year.
Subject to Director review and approval. 


Special Use Permit: Authorization for a one-time use for companies or individuals who want to use CBJ Parklands or a facility for profit but do not have customers, i.e.: movie or photo shoots.  There is an application fee plus a possible additional permit fee depending on type and length of use.  Applicant may be required to pay for a staff person to monitor the area.  Special conditions or restrictions may be required depending on location and/or length of time requested. Please call the P&R Office for an application. Subject to Director review and approval. 


For questions regarding Commercial Use please email Fran Compton at or call (907) 586-0423.

Commercial Use CBJ Regulations:
CBJ Parks and Recreation Commercial Use Regulations

In 2004 the Trails Working Group in conjunction with Parks and Recreation put together a list of recommendations for commercial use of existing trails around Juneau.  Click on the link below to see these recommendations:

2-Year (2014-2015) Commercial Use Permits for the 2014-2015 Permit season are no longer available (Deadline was 4/25/14): These Permits are issued Bi-Annually for authorization to operate a commercial enterprise within CBJ Parklands or a facility for more than 30 days, typically from May through September.  Applications are accepted at the P&R Administration Office from January through April on even number years, and once approved are issued for two years, with an update on the second year.  Specific documentation and insurance is required, as well as good standing with CBJ Tax Dept.  Subject to Director review and approval.