Science Reference Center
- Easy access to a multitude of full text science-oriented content including full text for nearly 640 science encyclopedias and reference books.
- Topics covered include: biology, chemistry, earth & space science, environmental science, health & medicine, history of science, technology and wildlife.
- Searchasaurus is a colorful, easy-to-use search interface for elementary and middle school students.
- Accesses three popular elementary and middle school databases (Primary Search, Middle Search Plus and Book Collection: Nonfiction).
Small Business Reference Center
- Wide variety of information on small business and entrepreneurial subject areas.
- Including a help and advice section, start-up information and how to create business plans that lead to successful funding.
- Archived video of lectures from the Faculty at Harvard Business School complete with accompanying slides and notes.
Small Engine Repair
- Based on the Clymer small engine repair manuals.
- These manuals contain thousands of accurate and concise step-by-step maintenance and repair instructions for hundreds of small engine machines and their supporting components.
- From marine motors and snowmachines to snow-blowers, save yourself money, do it yourself!
- Checkout some of the our favorites!
- Picks include fiction, non-fiction, DVSs and audiobooks.
- Interested in writing your own reviews? We share patron reviews on the library blog.
Student Research Center
- Especially for grades 6-12, searches multiple databases (Health Source – Consumer Edition, Image Collection, MAS Ultra – School Edition, Middle Search Plus, Newspaper Source, TOPICSearch, the American Heritage Dictionary and Columbia Encyclopedia).
- The Teachers Resources section covers Academic Search Premier, ERIC, and the Professional Development Collection.
Teacher Reference Center
- Abstracts for more than 270 of the most popular teacher and administrator journals and magazines to assist professional educators.
Teen Health and Wellness
- Real life, real answers.
- Personal stories from teens.
- Advice from Dr. Jan, psychologist.
- Great resource for teens to get confidential info about sexual health, suicide, eating disorders and more difficult topics.
- Mobile access using the Teen Hotlines App.
Testing and Education Reference Center
- Find colleges, graduate schools, specialty and career programs, and test prep materials.
- Test prep and practice tests for ACT, SAT, GRE, GMAT, PRAXIS, ASVAB, TOEFL, ASE, U.S. Citizenship and more.
- Get help with your resume, prepare for an interview and more in the Virtual Career Library section.
- Animated, talking e-books for kids.
- Over 300 titles including 100 titles in French and Spanish.
- TumbleBooks are created by adding animation, sound, music and narration to existing picture books in order to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you.
- Select titles are iPad compatible.
- TumbleBooks require the free Macromedia Flash plugin .
- Career Center includes resume writing help and job interview guidelines and tips for job-seekers.
- Live Tutors available seven days a week from 1 PM to Midnight Alaska Time, other resources available 24/7.
- Access Tutors on the Go with the Mobile App (iOS only).
- Available as a service to Alaskan students in grades K-12 and intro-level college students.
- Requires a PC or Mac and internet access.
- Compatible with a variety of browsers Check here for details.
- Requires Flash on your computer with pop-up blockers turned off.
Tutor.com To Go
- iOS only, Tutor.com works on Android mobile devices through the web browser, no app required.
- ON A COMPUTER: Create a free account (at top of page). Access to Tutor.com doesn’t require login on a computer but does for the mobile app in order to associate the user with a subscribing library. An account will let you save favorite tutors, store assignments and save and review previous tutoring sessions in your Locker.
- Launch the app on your iOS device and sign in using the account you just created.
- The online service is only accessible from within the Valley library (ask a librarian to log you in).
- Available in print in the Reference Section of the Downtown and Mendenhall Valley libraries.
- Valueline is a complete, multidimensional investment management solution that enables both new and experienced investors to make timely, better-informed decisions.
- Access a wealth of in-depth financial information, intelligently presented, plus objective research, insightful commentary, proven price projections, and advanced analytical tools.
- Can't find it in the Juneau Public Libraries catalog? Try searching the world's libraries!
- Interlibrary-loan (ILL) service is available free of charge to our patrons and we are often able to borrow items on your behalf from libraries throughout the United States.
- To request an item, you may call 586-0437 or create an account to submit your own request.
- More info on ILL.