Search Library Catalog

McLeod, Charles Ernst (Schulze) & Mary "Molly" (Anderson) (Hartley)

by Jeannette (Doucette) McLeod

Mr. McLeod was born in 1881, in Glasgow, Scotland. He arrived in Maryland about 1890. The 1910 census lists him as a resident of Ketchikan, Alaska. Mr. McLeodís name was legally changed from Schulze to McLeod during WW I due to the high fervor of American patriotism and vigilante activity in Alaska against those who had German surnames. There had been several lynchings and people had been run out of town due to the fact that they had German surnames.

Mr. McLeod had worked at many jobs including waiter, engineer, seaman and construction worker. The only known organization that he had joined was that of the Masons and was a 32nd Degree Mason. Personnel employment records of the Lighthouse Service began his employment in 1913. Prior to that time he was employed aboard the lighthouse boats as engineer. He also served as seaman and wheel man.

Mr. McLeod was an assistant lighthouse keeper at three different stations at first. Then, first lighthouse keeper at Scotch Cap, Cape Sarichef, Cape Spencer, Cape Hinchinbrook, Eldred Rock and St. Elias. He was one of the construction workers on several of the lighthouses.

He returned to Scotland and married Mary Anderson Hartley in December 1924, and returned to Point Retreat Lighthouse. His wife and infant son Charles traveled to North America in May of 1926, traveling across Canada and by boat to Ketchikan where Charles met them and took them by boat to the lighthouse. Daughter Violet was born at St. Annís Hospital in Juneau in 1928. Mr. McLeod died at Port Townsend, Washington, in 1929.


Charles was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1925. His father was a lighthouse keeper and his mother had been a clerk in a tobacco shop before her marriage. Nine months after his birth, Charles and his mother moved to Alaska where the family lived at Point Retreat until his fatherís death in 1929, when the family moved to Juneau.

His mother married Edward Maki, a miner and fisherman, in 1930, and the family moved to Chichagof Mining camp in 1932, and then back to Juneau relocating at Fish Creek at the north end of Douglas Island. Charles, with his family and the other families living in the area, built their own schoolhouse and attended school there until 1940. At that time, there was no road to this community. Access was by hiking the trail and crossing the bar of Gastineau Channel at mean low tide or by boat around Douglas Island.

Charles was employed as a fisherman by his step-father. In the off season, he was known for his merchandising of fresh clams, fish and kippered salmon. Charles was employed at a young age by the A-J Mine. Later he was employed by CCC to build and maintain the trails and paths in the Juneau-Douglas area, particularly the Thane to Point Bishop area, where they had uncovered several burial grounds. He did towing of log rafts for the logging companies and local sawmills. As there was not a local ice packing company, Charles would tow in small icebergs to the local bars and restaurants for their refrigeration and ice for cold drinks. He also was a construction pile buck and boat hand on the mail boats for J. V. Cole, John Willis and Dave Rieschl. He worked the herring pot at Indian Cove for many years.

In 1949, Charles married Jeannette Doucette. They have two children: Charlene and Charles Jr. both born and raised in Juneau.

Charles commercial fished for salmon and halibut for 15 years. He was hired during off fishing season by the Pilots Assn. to transport pilots to vessels entering the inside waters to ports in all types of weather. He was a relief Captain for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game for two years and then a permanent Captain transferring from one vessel to another as needed from 1966, until his retirement 19 years later. He was known for his expert handling of all vessels in all weather. Charles was an avid hunter and fisherman and kept the freezer stocked with wild game and fish. He enjoyed all aspects of the outdoors and especially entertaining his friends with stories of his many adventures.


Charlene was born at St. Annís Hospital in 1951, to Charles and Jeannette McLeod. She attended St. Annís Parochial School and Juneau Elementary School graduating from Juneau-Douglas High School in 1969. During her high school years, she was employed at the City Clerkís Office and the 20th Century Gross Theater. She attended beautician-cosmetology school in Klamath Falls, Oregon, receiving her certification and returned to Juneau to practice in a local shop. She was a long distance operator for RCA and later Alascom. She was noted for being able to handle crisis and emergency calls calmly and giving proper assistance. In 1973, Charlene married Daniel C. Stanley from Sitka. They have two daughters, Coriann and Jennifer. Charlene has been employed by the State of Alaska in various positions in several departments. She has lived in Juneau all her life.


Charles Jr. was born at St. Annís Hospital in 1952, to Charles and Jeannette McLeod. Charles attended St.Annís Parochial School and Harborview Elementary School. He attended Juneau-Douglas High School. After school he was employed at Thibodeauís Market and then by West Coast Grocery Wholesale where he made deliveries by helicopter to Snettisham Dam facilities and more conventional deliveries to other stores and to the Lemon Creek Jail. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served aboard the USS America in the Mediterranean and traveled throughout Europe during his tour and was able to visit his Grandmother Doucetteís family in Luxembourg. Upon discharge from the Navy, he lived in Pennsylvania for four years and traveled by automobile through the southern and eastern parts of the United States. He drove cross country and the Alaskan Highway to Juneau several times. He returned to Juneau and was employed by Temsco Helicopters and the Juneau Post Office. Later he was employed by the State of Alaska, DOT, and served aboard several of the ferries including the LeConte and Aurora in Southeast Alaska. In 1981, Charles married Maryann Calgaliano from Pennsylvania. They lived in Juneau for eight years until they divorced. Charles then moved to Thorne Bay, Prince of Wales Island working for DOT. He enjoys hunting, fishing and cars.

Charles E. McLeod and Jeannette Doucette McLeod, 1949.

Charles T. Doucette and Marguerite Kremer Doucette, 1928.

Charlene (McLeod) Stanley and Dan Stanley, 1973.

Charles E. McLeod, Jr.

General Information +
Exhibits and Collections +
Education +
Public Programs +
Juneau History Research -
Museum Calendar
Friends of JDCM