Search Library Catalog
Alaska Mail Services
We live in a remote, unnamed bay on the northeast side of Prince of Wales Island. We are in our second year of starting an oyster farm. We are also permitted for little neck clams, scallops and also experimental suspension of geoducks. We have to travel 15 miles by open skiff to El Capitan where we dock the boat and transfer to our truck. We then have ten miles of logging road to travel before reaching Whale Pass where we get our mail. It is delivered once a week by plane - weather permitting. It's always an adventure to get mail and we look forward to getting library books, magazines, and paperbacks.
We have an extensive video collection but both my husband and I are avid readers. I'm also an artist and Mail Services has been great about sending me books I have requested on various subjects - masks, collage, paper making, gardening, how to books and jewelry. Opening the book bags is like opening Christmas presents. We never know what's going to be inside and we're always thrilled especially when we get books by our favorite authors - Dana Stabenow, J. A. Jance, Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Sue Henry, and John Straley.
We appreciate all the time and effort the Mail Services staff puts into keeping us happy. With all the wildlife we see on our excursions to the post office I feel I should be writing books! I may have to request a book on creative writing! Thanks again.
Submitted by Cathy Klinkert
Years ago the book boxes were delivered by passing tugs or weekly mail boats to Port Protection, my old home. The books came in two wooden boxes we placed on top of each other like bookshelves in the store for the community. READING is the best past time IF YOU FIND TIME in the country! Receiving book boxes today is great because of the large selection.
My favorite books are:
CRADLE OF THE DEEP by Joan Lowell
HALIBUT SCHOONER by Ellsworth
BUSH RAT GOVERNOR by Jay Hammond
WINTER DANCE by Gary Paulsen
Wayne Short - Frank Caldwell - Monte Hawthorne. I like them all. It seems the books about Alaska – old days, old times, old people are the most interesting to me. THANKS FOR THE GOOD SERVICE.
Submitted by Marian Glenz, Meyers Chuck, AK
- "As a very remote family that considers you OUR library, we consider your services indispensable. Thanks for years of support." - Prince of Wales Island
- "Thanks so much for keeping us in reading material, helping us with our special requests and keeping us in touch with the outside world." - Yakutat
- "I wanted to thank all of you for your help in finding research materials for my Academic Decathlon studying. Everything you sent helped greatly. As you probably can tell from the photo, I did well." - Admiralty Island logging camp
- "You guys keep me sane during the summer fishing season."
- "I partook in SE Mail Services one winter while working at Hidden Falls as a short-term seasonal employee, and knew that I would just have to contact you once I accepted my current full-time position. I look forward to reading some good books!" - remote hatchery
- "Thank you so much for the loan of these books. Because of you we were able to create and have a most awesome and treasured wedding." - Elfin Cove
- "I have a new neighbor and I gave her the library information. I have so very much enjoyed your services over the years. Again, thank you." - Port Alexander
- "We're in the wilderness with fish, bears, and books for entertainment. It's like Christmas morning when the plane hands off the books." - remote Fish & Game Station
- "Once again, thank you for all your assistance above and beyond the call of duty! I don't know what I'd do without you." - Meyers Chuck
- "We appreciate all the work you do to put us a box of books together." - Elfin Cove
- "Having access to the library has enriched remote living immeasurably." - Baranof Island
- "I really like the service you give me. Have enjoyed this service for many years, like 50." - Meyers Chuck
- "Your work enriches our lives so much." - Elfin Cove
- "I have saved hundreds of dollars in text books by using interlibrary loan. The library services have made it possible to for me to prepare for the next stage of my life while remaining at home." - Port Alexander
- "Thanks a lot. This mail service is the greatest!" - Yakutat
- "Thanks for all your great, imaginative help with my research." - Meyers Chuck
- 'Thank you so much for the imagination, research, and attention to detail you display in your work." - Prince of Wales Island
- "Thanks again for another great season of library." - Elfin Cove
- "As always, I am very grateful to you for all the wonderful help you have given me. Thanks again." - Port Protection
- "Hope your New Year will be wonderful. Thank you for making my life so great out here. Really means a lot to me." - Port Alexander
- "This is quite a list, but we're in camp until the end of October. I'll thank you in advance. It's always like Christmas when our books come." - Ford Arm Bay
- "The magazines for me to keep were excellent. Thank you very much for all the thought you put into my requests." - Meyers Chuck