City and Borough of Juneau
Historic Preservation in Juneau
Certified Local Government Program
The Certified Local Government (CLG) program was mandated in 1980 in the National Historic Preservation Act, as amended. A CLG is a local government "that has been certified to carry out the purposes of the National Historic Preservation Act." Local governments receive certified status upon an application and approval by the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) and the National Park Service.
Juneau became a CLG on March 7, 1988. To qualify for CLG status the CBJ established the Historic Resources Advisory Committee (HRAC) as the body to administer the program. The CLG program requires the following:
1. Development of a local historic preservation plan including provisions for identification, protection and interpretation of the areas significant resources;
2. Review and make recommendations about local projects that might affect properties identified in the historic preservation plan (only projects not covered under state or federal review);
3. Participate as an interested party in the review process of local projects might affect properties identified in the historic preservation plan which are covered under state and federal jurisdiction;
4. Review and develop nominations to the National Register of Historic Places for properties in the area;
5. Maintain a system for the survey and inventory of historic properties;
6. Provide for adequate public participation in the local historic preservation program including the process of recommending properties to the National Register; and
7. Maintain minutes of all meetings of the HRAC.
A significant benefit of CLG status is eligibility for funding under the Historic Preservation Grant Program. This is a federal grant program from the National Park Service administered by the Alaska Office of History and Archaeology. Juneau has received numerous grants over the years to perform surveys, inventories, historic structure reports, preservation plan development, preservation education, and historic building rehabilitation.