City and Borough of Juneau
Historic Preservation in Juneau
Much of the land area of the current Casey-Shattuck neighborhood was owned by William Casey who had a small dairy farm in the vicinity around the turn of the century. Henry Shattuck was an insurance broker and real estate developer. Together Casey and Shattuck developed the Casey-Shattuck subdivision which was the first addition to the original Juneau Townsite.
A 1986 historic sites and structures inventory identifies four properties of significance in the neighborhood. They are: 1) Shattuck Mansion, built by Juneau businessman Henry Shattuck; 2) Alaska Electric Light and Power Plant, constructed in 1914 on the site of an earlier power plant which burned down; 3)Evergreen Cemetery, Juneau's municipal cemetery and burial site of Juneau's founders Joseph Juneau and Richard Harris; and 4) Torkelson-Samuelson House, built by Olaf Torkelson who worked for the Alaska Juneau and Treadwell mines.
The boundaries of the Casey-Shattuck Neighborhood are generally Glacier Avenue on the west, the first row of properties north of Twelfth Street, Indian Street on the east, and Distin Avenue on the south side.