Vision and Goals
Visioning is a process of looking to the future and
expressing the desire of where one wants to be at that place in time. During a
community visioning process during 1996-97, participants viewed Juneau as a
"friendly community, rich in history and culture; gold mining roots and a
strong Native Alaskan tradition." One persons vision was to "... touch
and experience the history of the founding days..." He envisioned an
abilitiy to do this "... because of efforts focused to preserve the
Building on these community visions, the visions of this historic preservation
plan are as follows:
- Juneau will be a community which is knowledgeable and understands the importance
of protecting and preserving its unique pre-history, history, and Native culture;
- Juneau will be a community which takes care to protect and preserve the historic
physical character of the community; and
- Juneau will be a community which is proud to share its past with residents and
visitors in a manner which protects the valuable historic resources of the area.
- Identify, evaluate, and protect the
historic and archaeological resources within the City and Borough of
- Increase public awareness of the value
and importance of Juneaus history and historic resources.
- Preserve and protect the unique culture
of Juneaus Native people including buildings, sites, traditions,
lifestyle, language, and history.
- Promote heritage tourism which enhances
and accurately represents Juneaus unique history and Native culture.