Bench under Black Bear Chair - a great place to sit and enjoy the view!
Winter is our favorite time at Eaglecrest. But we will admit, the off-season is a beautiful time on the mountain. The Service Road to the top of the mountain allows access for bikers and hikers. The hardened Lower Nordic Trail allows access to the historic Treadwell Ditch. We invite you come up for a short stroll along the trails of the lower mountain, hike to the top of the Black Bear or Ptarmigan Chairs or wander through the meadows of the lower Nordic trail.
Please remember to carry plenty of water. The Eaglecrest facilities are closed to the public Friday through Monday and no water or indoor restrooms are available on these days.
- It is one mile from the base to the bottom of the Black Bear Chair and two miles from the base to the top of the Ptarmigan Chair on the Service Road. It takes approximately 1.5 - 2 hours to walk to the Eagle's Nest at the top of the Ptarmigan Chair.
- Water is not available along the route or at the Eagle's Nest. There is a composting toilet at the Eagle's Nest for public use.
- The hardened portion of the Lower Nordic Trail is approximately 1.3 miles from the Day Lodge to the historic Treadwell Ditch. You can access this trail by turning left off the shop road just below the Day Lodge.
- Construction vehicles, snow cats, & other machinery may be encountered at any time.
- Unauthorized motor vehicles are prohibited on the Service Road or the Lower Nordic Trail.
Planned Summer Trails for 2015
- Hooter to Blac Bear Chair Access Trail: this is a multi-purpose trail connecting the bottom of the Black Bear Chair with the top of the Hooter Chair. This trail should be completed by the end of July 2015.
- Pittman's Ridge Loop Trail: this multi-purpose trail will run from the top of the Black Bear Chair up to Pittman's Ride and back down to the top of the Ptarmigan Chair. This trail should be completed by the beginning of September 2015.
- Sourdough Downhill Mountain Bike Trail: this downhill flow bike trail will run from the top of the Hooter Chair to the bottom of the Ptarmigan Chair. This trail will be built in multiple phases and the start date is dependent on funding.
- Check out more info on our proposed summer trails page.
Plan Ahead & Be Prepared
- Know where you are going. Make a trip plan before you go: where you are going, when you will be back, & who knows your are going
- Wear proper clothing & footwear; be prepared for changing weather conditions. Bring plenty of food, water and other essential items
- Remember you are in the wilderness - rescue may take some time to get to you
Tread Lightly & Leave No Trace
- Watch were you step - you are in a fragile alpine environment, please treat it with care.
- Pack out everything you bring in with you including your trash.
- Please clean up after your dog.
- Be considerate of other hikers and bikers & keep your dog under control at all times.
- Be Bear Aware!
- Respect wildlife - you are in their home
- Leave rocks, flowers, plants etc. for all to enjoy