City and Borough of Juneau
City Clerk MenuClerk Homepage Elections Municipal Calendars Assembly Main Page Assembly Archive Current Agendas and Minutes Adopted Legislation Charter City Code Notice of Public Hearing Assembly Standing Committees Appeals to the Assembly Appointed Boards and Commissions Municipal Documents Retention Schedule Web Contact Form
Office of the City Clerk
2007 Regular Municipal Election - October 2, 2007
School Board Candidate Information
Offices to be filled (elected by the voters at-large):
(2) School Board Members - 3 year terms
These seats are presently held by Bill Peters and Mary Becker.
Does a candidate run for a specific seat? No.
"In any election of school board members or any election of assemblymembers involving a multimember district, the candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be deemed elected to the vacant seats. If vacancies exist on the school board or within a multimember assembly district for seats with different terms, the candidate receiving the highest number of votes shall be deemed elected to the seat with the longest term and the candidate who was elected with the fewest number of votes shall be deemed elected to the seat with the shortest term; seats for other terms of different lengths shall be similarly determined in accordance with the number of votes received."
Eligibility: (reference CBJ Charter 13.2, AS 14.12.080, and CBJ School District Policies 0140-0149)
To be eligible to be a member of a school board, a person must have the same qualifications as are necessary to be a municipal voter in the school district.
"Qualified Voter" means a voter who, at the time of the election, is qualified to vote due to the following qualifications:
1) qualified to vote in State elections;
2) a resident of the municipality for at least thirty days immediately preceding the election;
3) registered to vote in state elections at a residence address within the municipality at least thirty days before the municipal election at which the person seeks to vote;
4) not disqualified under Article V of the Alaska Constitution;
5) not an employee of the Juneau School District; and
6) not a member of the Alaska Legislature.
Nomination: (reference CBJ Code 29.07.050 & CBJ School District Policies 0140-0149)
Nominations for elective officers shall be made only by petition accompanied by a signed acceptance. Nomination forms are available here on-line or in the Election Official/Municipal Clerk's office, located at City Hall, 155 S. Seward St., Rm 202. A form may be requested by mail to CBJ Clerk, 155 S. Seward St., Juneau, AK, 99801, by fax (907) 586-2536, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by phoning the clerk's office at: (907) 586-5278.
Nomination forms must be completed and filed with the Election Official not earlier than 8:00 a.m. on Friday, August 3, 2007, nor later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday, August 13, 2007. For a petition to be sufficient, it must be signed by 25 qualified voters. It is highly recommended that anyone circulating a petition obtain more than 25 signatures, in the event that the petition is inadvertently signed by a person who is not a qualified voter.
Public Official Financial Disclosure and Campaign Disclosure Information
All candidates must file a Public Official Financial Disclosure Statement (POFD) with the Election Official/Municipal Clerk prior to the closing date of the candidacy filing period. Late filings of Public Official Disclosure Statements must be refused and the candidate's name removed from the filing records. (ref. AS 39.50.020)
Campaign Disclosure forms must be filed with the Alaska Public Offices Commission, which is located in the Court Plaza Building on Main Street.
POFD Statements and Campaign Disclosure forms are available in the Election Official/Municipal Clerk's office, located at City Hall, 155 S. Seward St., Rm 202. Forms may be requested by mail to CBJ Clerk, 155 S. Seward St., Juneau, AK, 99801, or by phoning the clerk's office at: (907) 586-5278.
Forms and complete information can be found at the Alaska Public Offices Commission at http://www.state.ak.us/apoc/index.htm
Withdrawal from candidacy
Any candidate nominated may withdraw his or her nomination not later than 4:30 p.m. of the 40th day before the election, which in this case would be Thursday, August 23, 2007.
A write-in candidate shall, not later than 4:30 p.m. of the fifth day before the election, file with the election official a letter of intent stating:
1) full name of candidate;
2) full residence address of the candidate and the date on which residency at that address began;
3) full mailing address of candidate;
4) the office the candidate seeks;
5) the date of the election at which the candidate seeks election;
6) the length of residency in the City and Borough;
7) the name of the candidate as the candidate wishes it to be written on the ballot by the voter;
8) that the candidate will meet the specific age requirements of the office for which the person is a candidate by the time that candidate, if elected, is sworn into office;
9) that the candidate is a qualified voter as required by law; and
10) that the candidate is not a candidate for any other office to be voted on at the election and that the candidate is not a candidate for this office under any other nominating petition or declaration of candidacy.
Procedures for counting write-in ballots
CBJ Code Section 29.07.150 General procedures for ballot count.
(d) Write-in votes shall not be counted unless the candidate has filed a letter of intent as required by subsection 29.07.050(f). If the total number of ballots containing write-in votes in the general election are at least the second highest in number in a race with two or more candidates, the write-in votes will be counted individually. In races where a candidate is unopposed, write-ins will be counted individually if they are within 100 votes or less. Write-in votes will be counted after the date of the election, but before the certification of the election in which the write-ins occurred. Write-in vote totals that do not fall within either of these two categories will not be individually counted.
For additional assistance regarding any Municipal Election, please do
not hesitate to contact: