I. Call to Order
II. Roll Call
III. Approval of Minutes
January 11, 2012 (p. 2)
IV. Budget Survey
Eric McDowell and Bob Koenitzer, Senior Project Manager, from the McDowell Group will present the results of the 2012 Budget Survey. Copies of the survey will be available at the meeting.
V. Mayor’s Task Force on Fiscal Policy (pp. 3 - 6)
On December 21, 2011, the Mayor appointed a task force that was given the charge of reviewing the City and Borough’s reserve fund policies. Three main tasks were identified by the Mayor –
• Whether the assembly should maintain the fund;
• If so, at what amount (particularly in light of the rate of inflation); and
• Under what circumstances it should be accessed.
Seven members were appointed to the Task Force; Merrill Sanford, Chair, Jeff Bush, Rosemary Hagevig, Bob Bartholomew, Alison Elgee, Pamela Leary, and Max Mertz.
The Task Force met four times between January 5 and February 9. During these meetings the Task Force reviewed CBJ’s financial issues and ideas for budget reserves. From these discussions the Task Force developed fund balance/reserve recommendations. A cover letter from Merrill Sanford and the Task Force’s recommendations are enclosed in the packet.
VI. Community Development Department Operations (pp. 7 - 17)
Dale Pernula, Community Development Department Director, will present an overview of the Community Development Department’s operations. Staff members Greg Chaney and Charlie Ford will also be present to answer Committee questions. A copy of Mr. Pernula’s presentation is enclosed in the packet.
VII. Financial Overview
Staff will provide a brief overview of the City and Borough’s fund structure. The presentation will include –
• A discussion of the fund structure (general, special revenue, enterprise and internal services funds,
• How the funds fit together financially,
• The accounting support provided by finance to other departments (funds), and
• The internal charging of general governmental services.