City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

356 S. Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-314
CBJ#:
A-20
Year Built:
1886/ 1926
Location:
356 S. Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
No Architectural Style
Architect/Contractor:
M.W. Murray and Captain James Carroll, contractors
Historic Name:
Alaska Steamship Company Dock Site/ People
Historic Use:
industrial
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
contributing
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070K830031
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

Docks are located on tidelands adjacent to South Franklin Street near Juneau Cold Storage site.

Historical Information

Captain James Carroll donated Juneau's first dock to the City in 1900. Capt. Carroll, a prominent local resident, also was elected to travel to Washington to serve as a representative to Congress in 1890. Juneau sold a portion of the dock to the Cold Storage Company who built their plant at the location in 1926. The People's Wharf was established nearby where the Alaska Steamship vessels docked until the Union Wharf was built around 1900 south of the People's Wharf.




CBJ Image