City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

289 S. Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-254
CBJ#:
A-08
Year Built:
1913-1914
Location:
289 S. Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
Vernacular
Architect/Contractor:
Charles Goldstein, contractor
Historic Name:
Brunswick/ Harrisburg Building
Historic Use:
commercial
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
altered/ contributing
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C070H020010
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

The one-story building measures 50' x 100'. The roof is flat with a deep, low-rising front parapet. The first floor has storefront windows with transom windows arranged above the sidewalk canopy. The building has four entrances on the street level. The owners remodeled the front of the building in 1982 and added a metal cornice.

Historical Information

The front of the structure was built in 1914 by Charles Goldstein for J.K. Leaming. It opened in May, as Brunswick Bowling Alleys and it had six billiard tables. It later became the Oriental Recreation Hall and in 1928 changed to the New Brunswick Bowling Alleys, with two alleys, billiard, and pool tables. In 1934 it became the Brunswick Tavern. Later it housed a number of dance places such as Dreamland, Italian Village, and Whale Tale. It has also housed businesses known as the Wild Goose, Whaler and El Capitan. The small building to the rear of the structure is reported to have been part of the Red Light District.




CBJ Image