City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

119 Second Street

AHRS#:
JUN-080
CBJ#:
A-05
Year Built:
1880
Location:
119 Second Street
Architectural Style:
no architectural style
Architect/Contractor:
John Olds and Pat McGlinchy, contractors
Historic Name:
Flag of All Nations Cabin Site
Historic Use:
public/ institutional
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
demolished,1893
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070A020043
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

This was the site of a simple 12'x14' log structure torn down in 1893. There is no available description of the cabin. Historic photographs only illustrate the cabin interior.

Historical Information

It was a gathering place for early Juneau pioneers. Sometimes called "Tamany Hall", the cabin served as Juneau's first post office and as an open house for new arrivals to the frontier community. The cabin received its name when McGlinchy observed seven men of seven nationalities sleeping there. He dubbed it the "Flag of Seven Nations.




CBJ Image