City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

400 Eighth Street

AHRS#:
JUN-210
CBJ#:
E-15
Year Built:
1916
Location:
400 Eighth Street
Architectural Style:
NA
Architect/Contractor:
Unknown
Historic Name:
"Lewis Water Tank, 8th Street Reservoir"
Historic Use:
NA
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
Historic Integrity:
Demolished
Historic Period:
NA
Parcel Number:
1C040A380010
Neighborhood:
Chicken Ridge

Additional Information

General Description

"70' x 90', reinforced water reservoir. Constructed in two unit stages with a combined capacity of 1.5 million gallons. The roof on the reservoir was supported by concrete pillars."

Historical Information

"In August 1916, R.F. Lewis, principal owner of the Juneau Water Company, bought this site and began excavating for a concrete water reservoir. By October 1916 he had completed the two units. The reservoir continued in daily service through the 1980s. By 1992 it had been Demolished. "




CBJ Image