City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

638 Gold Street

AHRS#:
JUN-167
CBJ#:
E-13
Year Built:
Circa 1912
Location:
638 Gold Street
Architectural Style:
Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Bungalow/Craftsman
Architect/Contractor:
Unknown
Historic Name:
Alaska Juneau Mining Company House/Metzgar House
Historic Use:
Residence
Date Local Designation:
Mar-86
Date National Register Designation:
12-Oct-95
Historic Integrity:
Preserved/Contributing
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov't/Beginning Mining Era 1912-1920
Parcel Number:
1C040A270080
Neighborhood:
Chicken Ridge

Additional Information

General Description

"A one-and-one-half story, 21 x 32, wood frame structure, with a gable roof and a concrete foundation. The roof is covered with composition shingles and the walls with horizontal wood clapboard siding. The front elevation features a shed roof wall dormer with four equally spaced casement windows with decorative sashes. Other architectural features include exposed rafter tails, wood decorative barge rafter, decorative truss in the gable, exposed rafter beams, triangular knee braces, and an enclosed entry porch with ribbon windows. Although the house was converted from single to multiple family use, it retains architectural integrity and is an important part of the architectural and historic unity of the neighborhood. It is a contributing building in the Chicken Ridge Historic District."

Historical Information

"The Alaska Juneau (A.J.) Mining Company built the house for employees and Louis H. Metzgar,Mine Superintendent, lived there. He was eventually named Assistant General Manager, then Manager of Ready Bullion Mine at Treadwell. In 1922, he was appointed manager of the A.J. Mine and worked in that position until 1940. "




CBJ Image