City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

135-139 W. Second Street

AHRS#:
JUN-070
CBJ#:
D-02
Year Built:
1882
Location:
135-139 W. Second Street
Architectural Style:
Eclectic-Classic Box
Architect/Contractor:
Unknown
Historic Name:
Edward Webster House
Historic Use:
Commercial/Residence
Date Local Designation:
1984
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
Altered
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070A010060
Neighborhood:
"Telephone Hill, Juneau Townsite"

Additional Information

General Description

"It is a two-story, wood frame structure; hipped roof, classic box-style open porch, with imitation-brick composition shingles over original clapboard siding; additions have significantly altered original building. "

Historical Information

"Edward Webster, pioneer miner and settler, began construction on this site in 1882. In 1890 Webster and Frank Bach were partners in a merchandise business in Douglas. The two men established a telephone link-up between Juneau and Douglas. Because of demand, the men established the Juneau and Douglas Telephone Company in 1893. From 1915 to 1967, the phone company operated in an addition to Webster's house on Telephone Hill. "




CBJ Image