City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

523 Kennedy Street

AHRS#:
JUN-310
CBJ#:
C-32
Year Built:
1913
Location:
523 Kennedy Street
Architectural Style:
Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Bungalow/Craftsman
Architect/Contractor:
Conrad W. Fries
Historic Name:
Alstead-Dau House
Historic Use:
Residence
Date Local Designation:
Mar-86
Date National Register Designation:
8-Sep-88
Historic Integrity:
Preserved/Altered
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov't/Beginning Mining Era 1912-1920
Parcel Number:
1C040A200100
Neighborhood:
Starr Hill

Additional Information

General Description

" This building is one-and-one-half story building with a gable roof covered in composition shingles and a concrete foundation with a partial basement. The walls are currently covered with horizontal vinyl lap siding that replaced the original wood shingles. Other changes to the house include the enclosure of the front and rear porches, a rear addition, a garage addition on the street level and a living room addition on the main level. An open porch was added to the front of the house. Despite these changes, the house has retained its architectural integrity with Craftsman Style Bungalow features such as triangular knee braces, and double-hung windows. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places."

Historical Information

"This house is one of six homes known as the Fries Miners’ Cabins. Built in 1913, these structures are adjacent to one another in a row and built as housing for miners working in the local mines. The six buildings were originally identical structures in Craftsman style design and construction. Craftsman was a popular style at the turn-of-the-century because of its simple utilitarian design and construction details. All six buildings were built with local materials with the exception of the plumbing fixtures and electrical wiring. As one of the six Kennedy Street Mine Workers’ Houses, this house is an example of early tract housing in Juneau. Hastily constructed, using local material, these houses provided quick and inexpensive housing primarily for mine workers and their families. Ernest R. Jaeger owned lot 8, block 120 when three of the Kennedy Street Mine Workers’ Houses were constructed. Jaeger used the house as a rental property from 1913 to 1927. Jaeger sold the house in 1927 to Bernt Alstead who lived there for 42 years. Alstead, a commercial fisherman, came to Alaska in 1918. He fished commercially until he was over 75 years of age. When he and his family occupied the house, it was a scene of gatherings of young fishermen and parties with music and dancing. In 1969, Alstead sold the house to Eugene and Marian Dau. "




CBJ Image