City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

424 Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-358
CBJ#:
B-79
Year Built:
circa 1910
Location:
424 Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Bishop House
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
preserved
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070A18003E
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

This is a two-story wood frame structure with hip roofed main section and front gabled pediment over extended offset section. It has a concrete foundation and is sided with wood shingles. It features a two-story extended bay window, a stained glass transom over the front window and a small shed roofed enclosed entry porch. The asymmetrical form is reminiscent of the Colonial Revival period.

Historical Information

Owned in 1913 by Harry Bishop, who earlier had been mayor of Juneau. After his death his widow, Grace, owned the property until 1942. Mrs. Bishop later married Judge James Wickersham. Sold to John T. Conn in 1943. This property and apartment building on adjacent lot at 235 5th Street, fraction of Lot 5, Block 18, owned by both Bishop and Conn.




CBJ Image