City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

329 5th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-355
CBJ#:
B-76
Year Built:
1937
Location:
329 5th Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Fifth Avenue Apartments
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
altered
Historic Period:
Peak Gold Mining Era 1921-1944
Parcel Number:
1C070A170070
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

This is a two-story, wood frame building with a flat roof. It has a partial basement and concrete foundation. It is sided with stucco with horizontal wood lap siding accents. It features modest entablature molding above recessed entry and window strip. Recently, the multipaned casement windows were replaced.

Historical Information

John T. Spickett owned the Hotel Franklin and managed the Palace Theater. He and his wife built and owned the Spickett Apartments adjacent to the Fifth Avenue Apartments. Bought by Spickett in 1912, the lot was vacant until 1924 when Spickett built the apartments which he kept until the 1940s. Today the property is owned by the Corporation of Catholic Bishops of Juneau.

Additional Information

Altered




CBJ Image