City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

339 Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-337
CBJ#:
B-60
Year Built:
1940
Location:
339 Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Bethel Tabernacle Building
Historic Use:
commercial/ public
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
preserved
Historic Period:
Peak Gold Mining Era 1921-1944
Parcel Number:
1C070A100070
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

The building is two-and-one-half stories. It is wood framed with a shed roof. It has a partial basement and concrete foundation and is sided with wood and slate shingles. It features a series of five multi-paned narrow windows on the west elevation.

Historical Information

In 1940 John Conn donated the land to the Bethel Pentecostal Assembly who built a church of lumber salvaged from the Occidental Hotel on Front Street. The Bethel Tabernacle was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1941. The building was later sold and used for other commercial purposes. The American Legion owns the building at the present time.




CBJ Image