City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

325 4th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-336
CBJ#:
B-59
Year Built:
circa 1901
Location:
325 4th Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Andersen House
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
altered
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070A100050
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

The building is one-story with a recent two-story rear addition. It has a hip roof. It is wood frame with a concrete foundation and stucco walls. It features a small eyebrow dormer (reminiscent of Shingle Style). It also features Colonial Revival detailing at the entry including flattened columns and modest cornice moldings. Although remodeled with a large addition, the front facade remains unaltered.

Historical Information

Two buildings were on Lot 6 as early as 1906 and Karl Koehler, local merchant, owned them. Henrietta Heid, wife of attorney John Heid, owned the property until 1924 when it was sold to Mrs. Agugusta Anderson Alstrom. Wife of Juneau news dealer, Frank Alstrom, it was later inherited by her son, Olgat Anderson. He operated Alstromís newsstand until his death in 1941.




CBJ Image