City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

224 Seward Street

AHRS#:
JUN-333
CBJ#:
B-55
Year Built:
1908
Location:
224 Seward Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Carstens Building
Historic Use:
commercial
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
preserved
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070A050050
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

This is a two-story, flat roofed reinforced concrete structure with a concrete foundation. It features sets of three double hung windows on the second story and recessed storefront entry and windows at street level. It has a varied height metal canopy.

Historical Information

Property owned by the Carstens Brothers Packing Company of Tacoma from circa 1901 until 1957. Reportedly the first reinforced concrete building to be constructed in Juneau, it was built in 1908 for the Alaska Meat Company, managed by John Reck. Through the years other food markets have been on this site. R.J. Sommers Construction Company purchased the building in 1957. Sommers, former Surveyor General of Alaska, added the second story to the building.




CBJ Image