City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

129 6th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-329
CBJ#:
B-53
Year Built:
1927-1928
Location:
129 6th Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Capital School
Historic Use:
public/ education
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
preserved
Historic Period:
Peak Gold Mining Era 1921-1944
Parcel Number:
1C070A220010
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

This is a two-story flat roofed reinforced concrete structure. It has a full basement, concrete foundation and concrete walls. It features metal casement and International Style metal sash window units. It has been remodeled on the inside but the outside facade retains its original character.

Historical Information

Portions of Block 22 have been used for public school purpose since 1887. In 1927, the City approved funds to build a new high school and from 1928 to 1958 the building served as Juneau High School. After a new high school was built on Glacier Avenue, the building was remodeled and became Capital Elementary School. In 1997 it closed as a public school. The Alaska State Legislature acquired the building from the City in 1998. The Legislative Affairs Agency renovated the school into government offices. The building was named in honor of the late Senator and Lieutenant Governor Terry Miller. The present school and gymnasium were built in 1928.




CBJ Image