City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

232 6th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-304
CBJ#:
B-36
Year Built:
1912
Location:
232 6th Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Davis House IV
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
altered
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C040A280020
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

The building is a one-and-one-half story wood frame structure with steep pitch gabled front. It has a concrete foundation and is sided with wood shingles. It features a centrally located small hip roofed enclosed entry porch. Structure contains modest Craftsman style design references such as the gable front and hip roofed entry. Changes to the structure have extended the entry porch across the front elevation of the building and the entry moved from the center to the side. Mass and proportion, however, are unchanged.

Historical Information

The pioneer Juneau Davis family lived in Juneau over forty years, contributing leadership in business, art and the community. J.Montgomery Davis was one of the Juneau’s early settlers and built a home at 202 Sixth Street in what was then a dense wood. There were no streets, lights or water. The Davis family built portions of Sixth Street so that horse and wagons could reach their home. They bought and improved property nearby and added to the development of Juneau. This house was bult in 1912 on or near the present Capital School site and moved to its present location by the Davis’ in 1927. It was used as a rental; a “miners house.”




CBJ Image