City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

416 6th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-330
CBJ#:
B-25
Year Built:
circa 1920
Location:
416 6th Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Folk
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Carlson/ Flory House
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
preserved
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C040A260020
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

It is a one-and-one-half story building. The structure is wood frame with a gable front and concrete block foundation. It is sided with wood shingles. It features a centered small window at the top of the front gable, two small gable roofs over an enclosed entry porch and room extension. There are wooden triangular braced supports at roofline, wood steps and handrail.

Historical Information

The property was owned by Peter Carlson and his wife, Sophia, from 1910 until 1926. Born in Sweden, Carlson came to Alaska in 1896. For many years he was a janitor in the Juneau Public Schools and later at the Little Territorial Building. Sophia came to Alaska in 1896 with her father who was a miner at Comet. After 1926, Mr. Flory, purchased the property. Flory worked for the U.S. Forest Service as the Regional Forester in Alaska with headquarters in Juneau.




CBJ Image