City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

108 6th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-172
CBJ#:
B-11
Year Built:
1913
Location:
108 6th Street
Architectural Style:
Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/ Prairie School
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Marshall House
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
preserved
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C060A290010
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

The building measures 21 x 32. It is a two-story wood frame structure with low pitch hip roof. It has a full basement, concrete foundation and is sided with horizontal wood lap siding. Features include wide overhanging eaves and hip roofed dormers. The Main Street elevation features stacked bay windows. There is a contrasting horizontal wood band at floor elevation changes and adecorative transom over the large windows on the Main Street and 6th Street elevations.

Historical Information

The house was constructed for attorney, John B. Marshall. He arrived in Juneau in 1911 to be stenographer for Royal B. Gunnison with whom he later formed a law partnership. Marshall served as US Commissioner in Juneau and in 1921 was appointed first Deputy Federal Prohibition Administrator for Alaska. Marshall was later assigned to the Prohibition Enforcement Bureau in Washington, D.C. The house was sold to John K. and Lena Kron Marshall who made it into a boarding house for teachers.




CBJ Image