City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

124 W. 5th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-071
CBJ#:
B-05
Year Built:
1889
Location:
124 W. 5th Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Eclectic
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Behrends House
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
altered
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C060A210011
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

A two-story building with a cross clipped or “Dutch gable” roof system. It has a partial basement, concrete foundation. It features front and side covered porches with Prairie Style support columns. Front porch also features Shingle Style plain balustrade. It is possible that the covered porch areas were added or substantially altered over time as the style is not indicative of the original construction period. It has been significantly altered with a large addition and second building added to the lot.

Historical Information

B.M. Behrends came to Juneau in 1887 to manage the Sitka Trading Company. He started his own general merchandise store in 1891 located in a rented building on the west side of Seward Street, next door to the present Behrends Bank. Later, he purchased the large home of Dr. H.S. Wyman on the corner of Third and Seward and moved his store there. He began a banking business which continues today. Behrends also owned property on Telephone Hill and Starr Hill and was a leading business developer.




CBJ Image