City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

137 6th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-076
CBJ#:
B-04
Year Built:
1898
Location:
137 6th Street
Architectural Style:
Late Victorian/ Queen Ann
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Frances House
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
7-Jun-85
Historic Integrity:
preserved
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070A220030
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

The building measures 30’x 34’. It is a three-story wood frame structure with a hipped roof featuring large intersecting cross gables. It has a full basement, concrete foundation and is sided on the first two levels with horizontal wood channel lap siding. Other features include predominantly Queen Anne detailing, gabled pediments, gable dormers, turned posts and wood braces. There is decorative wood shingle siding on the upper level and decorative sunburst patterns within recessed arches in the intersecting gables on the 6th street elevation.

Historical Information

Constructed in 1898 by Jerry Eicherley, it served briefly as a post office. Then it was leased to Superintendent of Perseverance Mine. The building was sold in 1911 to John Rustgard, later Attorney General of Alaska. In 1927, the City condemned the structure in order to clear the site for the school building. At that time, the structure was purchased by Frances Davis, noted Juneau artist. To save the building, Mrs. Davis had the house moved a short distance and it became known as the “Frances House.”




CBJ Image