City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

265 5th Street

AHRS#:
JUN-190
CBJ#:
B-02
Year Built:
circa 1913
Location:
265 5th Street
Architectural Style:
Other/ Juneau Eclectic
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Bishop/ Conn Apartments
Historic Use:
residential
Date Local Designation:
NA
Date National Register Designation:
NA
Historic Integrity:
altered/preserved
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C070A180050
Neighborhood:
Juneau Townsite

Additional Information

General Description

The two-story building has a garden first level. The house has a predominately gabled front with two shingle decorated pediments and a centered horizontal window unit at the top. It has partial concrete basement. It is sided with horizontal wood channel lap siding Other features include a hip roof over an entry stair and small enclosed entry porch. The gable front has cornice returns. Alterations have created its eclectic architectural character.

Historical Information

Harry Bishop owned the building in 1913. He also served as Juneau's Mayor from 1912 - 1913. Upon his death, his widow, Grace, inherited the property. She later became the wife of Judge James Wickersham. The property was sold to John T. Conn in 1943. Conn, a prosperous landowner, is remembered for his donation of land for a church on the corner of Fourth and Franklin Streets.




CBJ Image