City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

425 S. Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-370
CBJ#:
A-56
Year Built:
circa 1915/ 1881
Location:
425 S. Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
Modern Vernacular
Architect/Contractor:
J. Bernard Moore, contractor
Historic Name:
Boroff House
Historic Use:
commercial/ residential
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
demolished
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C070I010011
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

This was a two-story wood frame building with a concrete foundation, a flat roof, sliding windows, and shake siding. During the 1960s horizontal lap siding was added on the first level an vertical siding was added on the second level. The house was demolished in 2001 and a new commercial building erected on the site in 2003 known as the A&J building.

Historical Information

J. Bernard Moore built the first house on this site circa 1880. He was the son of Captain William Moore, the founder of Skagway, and brother of William D. Moore Jr., one of the 1880 pioneers of Juneau. Bernard Moore managed the Pyramide Cannery at Haines Mission where he married Minnie Shotridge, daughter of Chief George Shotridge of the Chilkats. He moved to Juneau to work for the Treadwell Mines and built the house for his family. His brother William Moore Jr. also occupied the house.




CBJ Image