City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

406 S. Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-374
CBJ#:
A-51
Year Built:
1915
Location:
406 S. Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
No Architectural Style
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Warner Building (Alaska Litho)
Historic Use:
commercial
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
altered/ noncontributing
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C070K830040
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

This was a one-story wood frame building that measures 78' x 80'. It had a wood piling foundation, a flat roof, storefront windows, and a sidewalk canopy. During the 1970s, the owner added new wood siding and windows to the front fašade. In the 1990s the building was replaced with a new two-story structure built with consideration of historic district design standards and streetscape. The first floor has storefront windows and recessed entries. It has a fixed canopy with clerestory windows above. It currently houses retail stores on the first floor and offices on the second floor.

Historical Information

Originally the building housed the Lynch Iron Works until Charles G. Warner bought the building and the business on January 2, 1919. Warner, an excellent mechanic, arrived in Juneau around 1905. He worked in a number of jobs including time as a construction engineer on the Salmon Creek dam. After 1919, he operated the machine shop as the Charles G. Warner Company for 20 years and catered to the fishing fleets in Juneau, Hoonah, Angoon and Kake. In 1928 the Juneau Empire reported he had a new 25 h.p Johnson outboard on display, the first of its kind in Alaska. He died in an accident April 1, 1930. His son Peter Warner continued to manage the company.




CBJ Image