City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

134 Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-363
CBJ#:
A-39
Year Built:
1936
Location:
134 Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
Art Deco
Architect/Contractor:
unknown
Historic Name:
Alaska Electric Light and Power Building
Historic Use:
commercial
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
preserved/ contributing
Historic Period:
Peak Gold Mining Era 1921-1944
Parcel Number:
1C070A030070
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

This building has a clipped-rectangular shape. It is a one-story reinforced concrete building measuring 90' x 100'. The building has a concrete block foundation with a full basement and a flat roof. The original transom windows above the sidewalk canopy, and the original sidewalk canopy remain. Art Deco elements, smooth surfaces, stylized motifs, and vertical projections above the roof decorate the facade.

Historical Information

Lawyer John Malony, Superintendent John Parker Corbus and General Store Manager Adam W. Corbus, all Treadwell men, founded the Alaska Electric Light and Power Company in 1893. The company continues to provide dependable electric power to the communities of Juneau and Douglas. In 1936, the company built the AEL&P building to serve as offices, sales room for electrical appliances and repair shop.




CBJ Image