City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

109 S. Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-020
CBJ#:
A-35
Year Built:
1908
Location:
109 S. Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
Moderne architectural style with classical influences
Architect/Contractor:
Ed Ellengen, contractor
Historic Name:
Elks Hall
Historic Use:
public/ institutional
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
altered/ contributing
Historic Period:
Initial Development Era 1883-1911
Parcel Number:
1C070A130030
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

The two-story concrete building measures 120' x 100'. Built on a sloping lot, it has a concrete foundation and a flat roof. Glass block windows and plate glass are on the street level. There is a stepped-down sidewalk canopy, and overhanging concrete decorations below the roof-line. Originally three-stories, the top floor was removed during the 1920s.

Historical Information

The Elks Hall was dedicated on March 18, 1908 providing a home for the Juneau Elks Lodge chartered in 1899. The first meeting of the Alaska Territorial Legislature on March 3, 1913 was held on the building's third floor. L.V. Ray of Seward was President of the Senate and Earnest B. Collins of Fox was Speaker of the House. In 1941 the building was remodeled, the third floor removed, the first floor renovated and the bowling alleys added.




CBJ Image