City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

CDD - Historic Sites & Structures

231 S. Franklin Street

AHRS#:
JUN-201
CBJ#:
A-34
Year Built:
1935
Location:
231 S. Franklin Street
Architectural Style:
Art Deco
Architect/Contractor:
N. Lester Troast and Associates, architect; J.B. Warrack Company, contractor
Historic Name:
Decker Building
Historic Use:
commercial
Date Local Designation:
Date National Register Designation:
17-Jun-94
Historic Integrity:
preserved/ contributing
Historic Period:
Territorial Gov
Parcel Number:
1C070B0L0020
Neighborhood:
Juneau Downtown Historic District

Additional Information

General Description

The three-story concrete building measures 48' x 65'. It has a concrete foundation and a flat roof. The first floor has storefront windows and the other floors have double hung windows. There is decorative banding and fluting with decorative first-story and roofline cornice. The original sidewalk canopy has been replaced with one of a similar design. The building has been stuccoed.

Historical Information

Edward Decker arrived in Juneau in 1882 and opened a general merchandise store on the site in 1887. The original store building was demolished in 1908, rebuilt and demolished again in 1935. Decker's widow, Mrs. Elizabeth O. Decker, built the present structure on the site in 1935.




CBJ Image