City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

Capital City Fire/Rescue

Commercial Kitchen Fire Response - 6/27/10

On Sunday, June 27, 2010, at approximately 2:20 a.m., Capital City Fire Rescue was dispatched to 225 Front Street for a report of a structure fire. The structure was the Miner's Mercantile, a two story commercial structure in the downtown area. Upon arrival, fire personnel noted the activation of the building fire alarm system and light smoke from the front entrance. Further investigation revealed the fire had been extinguished just prior to fire personnel arriving. The fire was extinguished by Juneau Police Department Sgt. Chris Burke and Officer Jarrett Mahoney. Both were in the immediate area on patrol when they noticed the fire alarm activated. Both officers investigated and were able to see smoke coming the kitchen on the first floor. Entry was made into the building and a Class K portable fire extinguisher was used to put the fire out. The cause of the fire was an unattended metal pot that was left on the stove. It is believed that there was some cooking oil in the pot and that it had ignited. From there, a small plastic container located directly above the cooking surface also ignited and caused most of the smoke. The kitchen suppression system was activated and final extinguishment was accomplished by the officers. There was minimal damage sustained and the kitchen was closed by the fire marshal until full cleaning was accomplished, an inspection by the State Health Department was scheduled and the fire suppression system was reserviced. There were no injuries sustained and the fire was limited to the cooking surface of the kitchen.



CBJ Image