City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385

Capital City Fire/Rescue

Sprinkler system extinguishes apartment fire

On Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 4:08 pm, Capital City Fire rescue was dispatched to 345 Gastineau Avenue, Channel View Apartments, for a fire alarm activation. While en route, dispatch advised that a tenant reported water flowing and a large amount of smoke inside of the building. Upon arrival, fire personnel discovered a sprinkler activation had occurred in one of the apartments. Investigation revealed that an unattended cooking fire had occurred. There was a frying pan that was originally on a burner. The burner was found on the high setting and turned off by firefighters. Prior to firefighters arrival, the frying pan was moved from the stove top to the counter which had melted and the heat traveled up to the range hood vent. There was enough heat generated, that the sprinkler head in the kitchen area activated and stopped the spread of the fire. Firefighters cleaned up water and ventilated the smoke out of the building. There were no injuries reported. Damages are estimated at approximately $25,000 in materials and labor. The fire department wants to remind everyone to have working smoke detectors in your home. Also a reminder to all businesses or buildings with sprinkler systems, to have the annual inspection conducted. Sprinklers and smoke detectors save lives. Daniel M. Jager Fire Marshal Capital City Fire/Rescue 820 Glacier Avenue Juneau, Ak 99801 907-586-0260 (Fax) 907-586-8323

CBJ Image