City and Borough of Juneau
155 S. Seward Street
Juneau, Alaska 99801
tel. 907-586-5240
fax 907-586-5385
http://www.juneau.org

Capital City Fire/Rescue

Fire department snuffs out fire before being toned out

On Friday, July 18, 2008, Capital City Fire Rescue extinguished a small fire in a residence before it had any chance of destroying the home. Firefighters were leaving the scene of a medical incident when they noticed an orange glow through the window of mobile home # 171. The quick action of acting captain Paul Hamby and firefighter Tom Clark, saved the structure and contents with virtually no damage sustained. The occupants ran outside and alerted the crew of the fire. All occupants and two dogs were evacuated. There were no injuries reported. The cause of the fire was a decorative candle display that was placed on top of the wood stove and melted. Although the fire was small it created enough heat to melt the vinyl window blinds next to it. There were no working smoke alarms found in the residence. Capital City Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone to use extreme caution when using scented candles. Never leave a candle burning unattended and always be sure the candle is placed in a safe location away from combustible materials and out of reach of small children. Always have a working smoke alarms in your home. Reported by: Daniel M. Jager Deputy Fire Marshal Capital City Fire Rescue



CBJ Image